MTG Legacy General

Paradise Edition

DISCUSSION:
>Has the online meta been solved or is there still room for growth and innovation?
>What was the worst punt you've ever had?
>Are Twinblade lists just FOTM?

RESOURCES:
>"Active" Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5
>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy
tcdecks.net/format.php?format=Legacy
>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com
> Budget lists for newer players
docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing

READINGS:
>This Week in Legacy (Imp Painter is back?!)
mtggoldfish.com/articles/this-week-in-legacy-commander-2017-spoilers
>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/
>Deck Database (Updated)
pastebin.com/73W9q1JT

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1me_bqX45Fh_auKaETDcE6GgxWq569qspmBk1VoOtBHU/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=5yhBiJuQumQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ybOKEUhCvDo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What was the worst punt you've ever had?
Forgot my chalice trigger twice in a row to die to double invigorate out of infect. Shit still tilts the fuck out of me just remembering it.

>Are Twinblade lists just FOTM?
I think yes to an extent, people seem to really enjoy brewing with the card, so it seems to go in and out of fashion. I've seen all sorts of crazy ST stuff, from Stoneblade to Standstill builds.

>Imp Painter is back?!
That's great news that the deck might still be viable, I've always thought it was a one of the coolest/most unique decks in the format. Almost makes we want to try and dig up the last recruiter I need to give it a go.

Is it a bad thing that it costs thousands of dollars to play legacy?

t. commander player

no, it keeps modern and standard babbies from shitting up the format

It doesn't necessarily cost thousands of dollars, there are reasonable decks in the $750 or less range. Sure, their are very expensive tier 1 decks like Czech pile, Grixis Delver, G/R Lands, etc. that cost absurd sums of money, but it's not required to play the format. The cost barrier to me is both a good and bad thing, it runs people away from the format due to sticker shock, but it also ensures that only people that are serious and enthusiastic about legacy are joining the format.

my LGS recently allowed proxies for legacy so i am going to start playing, what are some fun decks?

I have most of burn and merfolk. Is either worth the trouble?

there are people joining legacy?

Yep, after EM dropped we had 3 players join legacy night, one guy on D&T, one guy on Merfolk, and one guy on budget UR Delver. Recently we've had a couple other newbies show up without decks, luckily most the regulars have 2+ decks and are willing to loan them out.

Depends on your definition of fun, what type of decks do you generally enjoy playing?

in modern i played the birthing pod deck and currently faeries

There are versions of pod decks in legacy, mostly Junk or BUG Nicfit using Green Sun's Zenith for tutoring/silver bullets and Veteran Explorer+Cabal Therapy for interaction/ramp. BUG gets you Force, Brainstorm, and JTMS while Junk gets you Pernicious Deed and extra Discard/Removal. The closest thing I can think of to modern Faeries is going to be something like UWx Spirit Blade, but you could also probably brew legacy faeries if you wanted, it would be a UBx deck, which is a good start in legacy. Maybe there's a decent Standstill list with Faeries...

not really, both are very one-dimensional and you will get bored fast

Of those two I'd build into Merfolk due to the upgrade paths it opens up. Buying into merfolk gets you Chalice, Force, Daze, Back to Basics, Vials, and Caverns. That's a pretty good starting place which will allow you to branch out into several decks at a later date. Those staples put you on the path to branch out into D&T, UWx Stoneblade/Spiritblade, UR Delver, or Sea Stompy.

Honest question, would a larger player base really hurt the format? Is that really something Legacy players worry about? Figured Modern sucks because the card balance, not the player base.

Why are legacy players so elitist?

Sure, some legacy players can be. By in large my general experience is that legacy players are pretty chill and just want people to play with. At legacy night at my LGS the regulars will loan out decks to anybody that want to play, we don't give a damn about much anything else besides playing the format and shooting the shit. You might get some eye rolls or sighs at meme deck (read: Belcher, PSI, Manaless Dredge, etc.), but that's usually about it. The most toxic/elitist format I have played has been modern by far, it's so toxic in my area that I stopped playing even though it would allow me to play 3-4x the amount of legacy games I get to play in a given month.

should I have a 1-of Mirri's Guile or Sylvan Library in Deadguy Ale?

Mostly talking about posts like these

Honestly, I think they're mainly shitposters looking to get a rise out of people by being deliberately abrasive or contrarian.

Oh well, I really like the older formats shame the Reserve List keeps things so absurdly expensive. Even Commanders starting to suffer from that stuff, a lot of the Legends enchantments are super competitive in it but cost an arm and a leg, becoming pay to win at my LGS

What's the "cheapest" way to get into Legacy? I have something resembling a burn deck (from when I played in Middle School) but it's by no means great, even with some recent edits I did (like adding in Lightning Bolt).

Burn.
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Flame Rift
4 Price of Progress
4 Fireblast
19 Mountain
1 Barbarian Ring

Alternatively you can cut 4 Flane Rift and run 2 Grim Lavamancer and 2 Sulfuric Vortex

You can build 20 mountain burn from scratch for ~$100, you can build the fetch based version for ~$300. Manaless dredge is about ~$300 and can be made significantly better by upgrading it with Lion's Eye Diamond to LED Dredge, which is ~$550. The cheapest blue deck you could probably build right now is no dual UR Delver at ~$600, but you'll be getting yourself Forces out of the deal. You can build Ghost Quarter D&T for ~$675. You could also build yourself a prison combo deck with UW or WR Parfait at ~$650.

How to play FoW Dredge(aka Pitch Dredge?) And by this I mean please spoonfeed me a decklist because I am not a Dredge play expert.

Fish player, it is very 1-dimensional. Drop fish, drop lord, beat face. Drop force and daze when needed. Splashed a bit of green for edric, but now run leovold and drop him in with vial.

Burn, look it up on mtgtop8 and acquire parts.

The goal is to get your hand in your gy, replace all of your draws with high number dredges, and then proceed to resurrect a creature or 2 and swing with a shit ton of zombies for lethal. FoW dredge adds in force and a blue hand cycle creature so that you have another means to possibly dredge for every card in hand and run just enough blue spells that you can use force to stand a chance of winning games 2 and 3.

>gameshop allows proxies
so what deck should i play
unlimited funds

lands

Eureka'n'Show

>Dutch Stax
Go for style points user

Big Red or Moggcatcher. Because mountain is the best land type and you like to share with Blood Moon.

>what was your worst punt
I've got 2 good ones.
In top8 of a win-a-dual i lost r1g1 to SnT, then g2 I mulled to 6 and kept a hand of 5 lands and a xantid swarm. I have no idea why.
Or the time I punted away my chance at an SCG open day 2 by building a doomsday pile that involved wishing for a card I'd sided in, when it was silly to side the card in in the first place

Lavamancer without fetches is eh, just n amount of Searing Blood is better.

>Eureka'n'Show

Please tell me this is actually real.

BR Reanimator at least for one showing, people presume everyone shows up with 3k fair decks or SNT when it's a proxy event so they might skim on the excessive yard hate.

Can i build something reasonable in legacy with modern affinity?

Hello, I have a question regarding the stack resolve. If I play Ravenous Rats, and in response, my opponent plays an instant like Snap or Force Away, does the triggered ability still makes him discard a card?

Thanks

Yes, The ETB ability doesn't care if the permanent that generated it is still on the battlefield when it would resolve.

Thanks a lot!

Put in ancient tombs, artifact lands, playset of Etched Champion and Chalice of the Void and hope nobody runs Null Rod. You're basically playing stompy in Legacy instead of 4d chess aggro.

What the fuck is this 4d chess meme. Modern Affinity is not difficult.

Deck has reasonable WR even if you don't play optimally =! deck is not difficult to play optimally.

I'd say Burn is the cheapest, but the price on Reanimator has crashed through the floor thanks to reprintings of Entomb and Animate Dead. Red-Black and Monoblack Reanimator are great budget decks that let you cheat out powerful and goofy cards faster than opponents can respond (or are able to respond to). I actually beat face with Stormtide Leviathan last week. The budget lists for new players in the OP have some fun goofy decks too you can build for cheap.

fuck cloudpost and the other one

how is that shit not banned

Because Post decks honestly are not even that good now that they lost their best matchup (SDT Miracles) and SDT.

if you arent playing counter magic how do you beat a turn 2 thought knot

Yeah it does get old, I ended up shifting to u/w blade from it, cause u do get alot of value

Discard, destroy lands, race with creatures, blood moon them, or combo out. Its a post deck, if your not playing countermagic you go under them and attack the main resource they are built around (making lots of mana).

Cabal Therapy

I dont see death and taxes beating it unless it has a vial and 4 wastelands and you dodge chalice on one

Yeah but see I was saying that it isn't particularly hard to play optimally.

Then you're just wrong.

That is probably pretty hard matchup for standard D&T, the red splash version for Magus of the Moon would probably do a little better against 12post type decks.

Or you're just dim and can't figure it out

Calling all Stormfags! Calling all Stormfag! What are the weirdest lines you've taken to reach victory? I'm talking lines you see in 1/1000 games kind of weird. Here's a weird one I ran into recently with TES against Burn. It was turn 3 and I'd Probed him and seen that I was dead If I didn't kill him that turn. My hand was: Ponder, Dark Ritual x2, LED, Burning Wish, Chrome Mox with Island, Underground Sea, and Volcanic on the table. I cast Ponder finding Dark Ritual, LED, Infernal and put it back (top to bottom) LED, IT, Ritual and drew LED. I then cast the 2x LED (3), Mox (4), 2x Ritual (6, BBBBB), Burning Wish (7, Crack 2x LED, RRRBBBBUUU), get/cast Past in Flames (8, RRBUUU), flashback 2x Ritual (10, RRBBBBBUUU), flashback Ponder, draw IT(11,RRBBBBUU), cast IT get Burning Wish (12, RRBBBUU), cast Burning Wish get Tendrils (13 RBBBU), cast Tendrils (14, U). So it's a PiF line that involves casting ponder twice in order to get the top 2/3 cards it needed to win. Shit like this is the reason I love playing storm, you get awesome puzzles like this to solve on occasion.

Guys brew me a deck that plays winds of change.

>want to play something cheap
>want to play SFM
>another friend already wants to play DnT

what should I play

Spiritblade

>play blue
>don't play brainstorm/ponder

y tho

Dredge. You only need a playset of LEDs to play the most fun deck.

There are some versions of the UW deck that play Brainstorm, the problem is that Thalia and Brainstorm don't really like each other. Think of it more as D&T with blue as opposed to a cantrip shell deck.

Oh nevermind, you mentioned needing SFM, not just a cheap deck.

I mean I do have manaless dredge, but I don't know if a deck like LED Dredge is something I'd have fun taking to tournaments every week

would black be better than blue in a DnT style?

LED Dredge is basically a worse version of BR Reanimator at least for the moment, you fold to FoW+DRS if you don't have the nuts just as likely while mulliganing about twice as much and having said nuts much less and worse matchups all across the board. Without Miracles there's zero reason to play it, Manaless actually has the advantage now by blanking all interaction except sideboard bullets, only problem is trying to go under an active DRS, especially vs Grixis Delver which just probes your Annex trigger.

From EFros new CFB Article. Any takes on this?

White and blue have historically been the control colors, and that is still very much the case today. The quality of the removal that you pair with blue has always been an important element in building a control deck. But when the removal becomes more important than the permission, and planeswalkers offer better card advantage than the mediocre card draw we have in Standard, maybe blue isn’t necessary?

>4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
>4 Flame Rift
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Why? Other than Delver with the nut draw or some unwinnable combo matchup nothing races Burn.

I love that flavor text so much

Actually, make that more likely. At least Reanimator can buy some turns with Brutality and the other discard spells, or just turn 1 with Annex backup.

turn 2 angler

wait thats not how the card works

UR Boobytrap

I don't really get why Cunning Wish builds for Sneak and Show are the best right now. Cunning Wish seems insanely fucking slow, are you supposed to preemptively wish for stuff that can stop people from fucking with ur combo? Or are you supposed to actually cast 5 mana trick binds?

They can win without combat, which is relevant vs Ensnaring Bridge, Reanimator with Tidespout Tyrant and DNT. Wishing for outs to random jank isn't too bad either.

1 Fabricate
3 Mountain
3 Molten Psyche
3 Mountain
4 Copy Artifact
4 Brainstorm
3 Blood Moon
4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Howling Mine
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Island
4 Volcanic Island
4 Winds of Change
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Reforge the Soul

4 booby trap of course

I havent seriously played legacy in maybe three years. I have Death n Taxes and Eldrazi.

Is it worth trying to get back in? i might just sell everything and invest in another hobby

dnt is still good

eldrazi is still whatever

DNT got some busted cards in recent sets, it's great give it a spin. Eldrazi has been on a downswing since Dragon Stompy is the better lol you dont get to play -deck and Miracles isn't *really* a thing anymore.

What's the busted stuff I should look up?

Recruiter of the Guard with all your favorite 1-ofs maindecked for cheese wins, Sanctum Prelate, Palace Jailer.

WHO

/DREDGE/

HERE??

MANALESS DREDGE OR BUST

FUCK GAME 2 AND 3

It's dead, Jim.

You have to go back to the Modern general.

>It's dead
it wouldn't work if everything were alive buddy

I would sooner not play Legacy than give up Dredge.

Shit man I have too many to count. Turn 1 nat drills by chaining can trips, ETW in my doomsday piles, winning through double chalice and force of will on my combo turn, winning by attacking with lab maniac, resolving 3 doomsdays in one turn.

>resolving 3 doomsdays in one turn
Color me curious, how did that happen?

Lots of mana, I needed a double doomsday pile to win (needed a lot of storm and lab man was out due to lots of removal) and I decided to showboat a little.

>tfw you've won with narco beatdown vs fucking elvea
That game was clowny as FUCK

chose one
>the reserve list disappears
>legacy disappears

Yeah I won a storm pseudo-mirror with lab-man beats. After blowing away each other's hands in the first couple turns, any time either of us would build up to try to go off, the other would top deck discard to stop them. Really dumb game, lots of dead drawing.

So i have a combo that makes me able to stack my whole deck in any order i want. Is there a sequence of cards i could win with instantly

Post your all-time favorite Legacy games, excluding the obvious Merriam vs Sullivan.

youtube.com/watch?v=5yhBiJuQumQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ybOKEUhCvDo

Greg "shitbrew so hard shits cash" Hatch

What do you have to work with after stacking your deck? Cantrips? mana floating?

>TES Vs some esper stoneblade thing
>Grindy game, G2, I've sided out my warrens main in favour of PiF to preempt EE and the like and go for the drill kill
>Keep a hand with PiF and tutor, some rits, figure I'll cantrip til I find what I need.
>Feeling comfortable, over the next few turns as I try and cantrip for a wish/discard he plays stoneforge mystic followed by batterskull.
>Swings with batterskull, he's up to 22, I'm at 14.
>I duress his only counter, but still In pretty bad shape
>I need to win this turn before things get away from me completely
>Ponder, see ad naus and LED on top.
>Grab LED, start casting rits, cast PiF, if he has a counter it's now or never.
>Git probe hold priority crack 2 LED for blue and black, I have a load of mana but no wish.
>As naus down to 2, still no wish. My tutors are useless, no more uncracked LEDs to discard
>Flashback another probe, paying actual mana for it, volcanic island.
>Volcanic island, ponder and brainstorm left in gy.
>Play ponder, top 3 cards, no dice.
>Shuffle, draw.
>DING DING DING BURNING WISH
>Play the rits i my gy, chrome mix, lotus petals
>ends up coming out to 13 storm
>All according to plan all along

Why did Eternal Masters actually drive down prices on Legacy decks but Modern Masters had the opposite effect on Modern decks? What are you hoping to see Legacy-wise reprinted in Iconic Masters?

RISHADAN PORT

Hopefully with some cooler art than the Judge holo, it's awfully generic imo.