Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How do you use Planar Ally/Planar Binding in games?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/awesome-blow
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/corrupted-flesh/
youtube.com/watch?v=_q2htBs_enA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I bind efreeti and make them grant me three wishes. Then I use trap the soul on the magic item I give them. Then I usually keep their souls until I figure out what to do with them.

Many times a PC has summoned an extraplanar creature or outsider and made them work for cheap, if they were paid at all. How often is it that PCs are summoned and bound to some odd job though? Has it ever happened to you?

>DHB will never whisper sweet nothings to you in his deep comfy voice as he sensually shoves his fresh cookies into your mouth

Life is pain

You could always PM him. Maybe he'll serenade you.

He bakes?

He bakes!
The B stands for Baker, silly. Delicious Homestyle Baker.

Didn't you ever wonder why it's DHB even though Homebrewer is only one word? Think about it.

I want to sample his wares, if you know what I mean.

Why? What has he done to deserve this adoration?

I'm a slut for baked goods, user

hurr durr [SO ORIGINAL bun in oven joke]

>tfw this thread is just one big circlejerk for DHB-sama.

It's okay, user. I'm sure somebody will love you someday too! Don't forget to PM THEM!

Hey ya'll. I'm looking to do something a bit different in my next game but I don't want to fall into That Guy territory. Does anyone have practical experience playing with a Lucerne hammer? I was wanting to run a human frontline cleric, but I'm wondering if this is straying into paladin territory.

I bet I can fit more cookies in my mouth at once than you!

>TFW can't hardly cook
>TFW even if I could, I'd get shouted down for biting DHB's style if I shared my own work

We can learn together! It'll be fun, and cooking for somebody else is always nice! I'll eat it all up

Learn to make pizza and pasta. Too many "Italian food" joints fail to capture how it's supposed to be.

Even if I've only ever used pre-made dough?

It doesn't have to be fancy; it's the thought that counts

You're on!

Just think of something you really like, and follow the recipe. A lot of cooking is really easy as long as you do exactly as instructed; it's when people start deviating that they fuck up.

For example, say you want to make a nice, simple spaghetti sauce. A nice big pot of it so you'll have some for the whole week.

>Two 28oz (bout 765g) cans of crushed tomatoes from the cans aisle. This shit's usually under a dollar.
>1/2kg or more (1kg is even better) of ground beef, or ground veal, or ground pork, or ground sausage; whichever you prefer. Mixing them is totally okay.
>One Fresh tomato (I like beefsteak or italian for this).
>Get a nice big red or orange pepper (they're more expensive than the green ones because they don't taste like complete shit).
>Get a big fat onion of your favorite kind; maybe a spanish one or a red one; honestly it doesn't matter just get an onion.
>Get a head of garlic if you like it, or if you're worried about roasting garlic just get a jar of crushed/chopped garlic though that's not as cheap.
>If you're worried about the herbs and spices just get a satchet of spaghetti (or if you're feeling adventurous, chili) spices.
>If you like heat, get a little habanero to put in there, you'll roast it with the other pepper
>Chunk of dark cooking chocolate. Trust me on that last one. You won't need much just like a 1x2inch square's enough, or like half a cup of the chips.

You'll want a pan and a big pot (a big one like your parents probably make pasta for the whole family in), you'll of course need a big wooden or silicone spoon to stir shit up, and a good sharp knife. I actually do the whole thing in just one bigass wok myself, but it's easier when starting out to separate the things.

I want to introduce Mythic in a game. The players are on board with this, but they want to have a slowburn approach to their power increasing.

We are starting at level 3. When would be the best time to introduce Mythic to give them the subsystem they want and the slowburn approach?

Cooking is simple. Follow the recipe, taste your ingredients.

All you have to do is memorize like 10 recipes and rotate them out as you get tired of them. And for a lot of shit like curries or chili's you can get away with like half the recipe being out of a can.

Turn your oven on at 400F. Wash the peppers and cut a little hole around where the stem goes in at the top with a knife; nice and circular. If you do it right you can pull the stem right out, then cut the pepper in half to remove the seeds and carefully shave off the white crap in the pepper, leaving only the nice tasty flesh. Wrap those up in aluminum foil. If you took a head of garlic, wrap it up too. Also dice up or slice up that onion and the tomato while you wait, to the sizes you enjoy in a sauce.

Once the oven's ready, put the foiled things right on the center rack and set the timer for 30 minutes.

Once those are in, turn on the stove. Set it to medium-high (if it's 1-10 like on some models, a 6-7 is good). When the pan's nice and hot, dump the meat and the onion in there. Don't let it stick; stir it vigorously so it separates, and keep this going till it starts going from grey to little hints of brown. Now take it off the heat, use whatever big potcover you have (you can just rince it easy afterwards) to help you: you're going to use the cover to hold the meat in while you drain the fat and juice into the sink.

Now dump it in the big pot; start the heat on that pot to medium-low (like 3, and add in the cans of crushed tomato. You can give the pan a minute or two to cool off and then rince it in the sink: the faster you wash things the easier crud comes off usually.

You're going to want to keep stirring this, so it slowly heats up and evaporates without sticking. What you want is a simmer (where it's just starting to steam and make tiny bubbles just a tiny bit but isn't bubbling crazily). Add in a bit of salt and pepper here and you can start pouring in the spices. How much depends on how strong a taste of spices you like. Start with one tablespoon of the stuff, stir it in well, and in a minute you can start trying to taste (don't forget it's fucking hot). If the garlic wasn't a head in the oven and just a pot of crushed put it in now

By now the oven's probably about to beep because of the timer. Take them out, give them 2-3 minutes still wrapped to cool down.

After that, get ready (it's hot on the fingers) you'll notice on the peppers the skin is all loose like old people. you're going to peel off that skin, and then slice and dice the pepper into little bits.

If you have the head of garlic, you basically just unwrap it, removing all the white skin on the outside to get to the tiny soft yellow slices on the inside. Get those out of their 'shell' (it's soft, you can do it with fingers or use a knife if it's too tough for you) and add'em to the pot.

Now stir thoroughly, add another tablespoon of spices if it doesn't taste enough. Cover the pot up and let it simmer another 15 minutes.

Now add in the FRESH tomato, the bit of chocolate, and some cheese if you want (cream cheese, ricotta, or parmesan, to taste). Those who prefer a sweeter fruitier sauce may want to add a tablespoon of sugar or cane sugar, or even just grab a sweet little tangerine or some diced up bits of mango or pineapple and add it in there. Everyone's got their way.

Stir on a simmer a while longer until the sauce starts to thicken; at this point it's mostly a matter of how watery you want it (I like it not). When it achieves the desired consistency you can take it off the heat. You can even make some pasta when it's getting to that point to try it out, but it'll be even better once it's settled in the fridge overnight and the garlic got to really seep in through.

And now you have a big fat pot of meaty pasta sauce.

How much would you price olive oil at in Pathfinder?

I FUCKING LOVE BEING AN EVIL WIZARD

Does anyone have a picture of DHB's cookies?

10 silver for a flask

>10 silver
That's too much. How about 100 coppers?

I'm thinking of making an ogre, but I have some practical concerns with two otherwise fun feats:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/awesome-blow
>"If the creature’s maneuver succeeds against a corporeal opponent smaller than itself, its opponent takes damage (typically slam damage plus Strength bonus) /.../"
Am I at the GM's mercy when it comes to using a heavy weapon for this maneuver (like a greatsword or at least something out of the Hammer weapon group), or is there precedence elsewhere for interpreting it flexibly?

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/corrupted-flesh/
Is there a cheap and preferably flexible way to inhibit the Stench so that I don't offend NPCs (particularly for extended periods of time, e.g. in taverns), yet have it enabled in battle? Options I've found are Deodorizing agent (30 gp, 1d3 hours) and Negate Aroma (1 hour/caster level) as a casted level 1 spell/potion (50 gp for caster level 1)/wand (750 gp / 50 level 1 charges = 15g per hour), but none of them seem all that practical. An at-will item that could let me toggle the effect for personal use would obviously be ideal, but I imagine that would be expensive.

But 100 copper is equal to 10 silver.

>How do you use Planar Ally/Planar Binding in games?
Like this.

High heavens in the streets and a demon in the sheets!

>[You are filled with Hope]

I unironically love that auriel is basically the pure idol of heaven. She has the most perfect singing voice, everyone adores her, she *literally* gives hope to the entire heavens, she has this scarf that either feels like a million loving hugs, or a million really rape-y smothering hugs. She stops fights between Tyrael and Imperius all the time. Everyone does everything better and feels more inspired when they have Auriel watching them (even more so when wrapped in her scarf).

I honestly really like the Angels in Diablo.

And the fact that they don't actually seem to have physical bodies is entertaining to me.

>the fact that they don't actually seem to have physical bodies is entertaining to me.
They're made of light, sound and willpower. Intangible souls are actually relatively hard to damage, and they only really choose to don "armor" and manipulate it through willpower because it gives them a more identifiable physical presence.

Demons on the other hand are made of flesh, blood, fury and sin.

youtube.com/watch?v=_q2htBs_enA angiris council is fun times.

Angels aren't of "this world", theologically, so it makes sense that they don't have any physical form until they choose to. They're beings of the soul, and the soul isn't actually tangible.

Until they pull the wings off, I guess

WE

True, 10 vials for a platinum piece seems much more reasonable

>Corrupted Flesh
>Aasimar Barbarian
>20 CHA
>Scion of Humanity
>Racial Heritage(Ogre)

>nipples
DELETE THIS!

Imperius dindu nuffin!!

>How do you use Planar Ally/Planar Binding in games?
As a way to get infinite heroism

That was literally what tyrael's speech was about. Tyrael and the other angels were sitting around patting themselves on the backs because "at least we're not like those demons who break their promises and don't hold to their oaths". Tyrael is like "Heaven and Hell both promised not to interfere with sanctuary, and because the demons broke that promise we aren't beholden to it either, you fucks need to get off your asses and come and *do* something - the RIGHT thing - before they show up with an army of enslaved nephalem on our doorstep."

Imperius* and all the other angels. Cant believe I made that typo.

And then Tyrael destroys the worldstone and Malthael has a panic attack/hyperventilates so hard he comes up with the idea to kill the remaining humans/demons because it will let him win the eternal conflict.

Is that a Kung Pow for ants?

I just realized that's a skull. That's damn good art.

No, it's a Zoolander.

Cheap where olives are grown, expensive as fuck elsewhere.

That's not how it works in d20 games tho
Salt costs a fixed price whether you're near salt flats, the oceans, or in the middle of a freshwater swampland.

That's only because a)the writers are lazy fucks b)detailing all the prices like that would take up a lot of pages

>Game is set in Minkai
>All PCs are from Minkai
>Unless you're Ninja, Monk or Samurai Minkai weapons are exotic for you
Da fuck?

Just play a westaboo.
I mean those weapons being exotic never stopped people to insert their nodachi wielding nobles into every single campaign ever.

It's been a week or so since I was in here, have I missed any lfg postings?

I can't believe this shit, everybody at my table knows English (and uses it on a daily basis) yet nobody has noticed my monk's name: Cho Sen Wang

user... Every single lfg posted here has been a bamboozle. You are looking at naught but disappointment here.

the shape of a weapon usually doesn't have much bearing on its stats. There's a lot of weapon bloat for things that are basically mechanically indifferent longsword / bastard sword = katana. Kamas = sickles. shortsword = wakizashi. dagger = tanto.

>longsword / bastard sword = katana
Not really. They're not even used the same way.

Wish you were my GM, but PF doesn't roll that way.
But some stuff, Katana makes more sense as a falchion, wakizashi is slashig not piercing like shortsword

>There's a lot of weapon bloat for things that are basically mechanically indifferent longsword / bastard sword = katana.

>Longsword - 1d8 19-20 x2
>Bastard Sword - 1d10 19-20 x2
>Katana - 1d8 18-20 x2

???

We were doing good a couple months ago

Wakizashi's would have been slashing and piercing, because that's just how swords were used. Even goofy shaped ones could usually be used to stab.

The basics aren't really that different. A katana was a cavalry sword similar to a saber. The curve to it allowed you to draw it from a sitting position in the saddle, the curve also made it quite nice for riding along and bopping filthy peasants because it could slice nicely with just the momentum from riding forward. It could be used one handed (so that you could hold reins in the other hand) or two handed (if you got unhorsed or were an infantryman to begin with).

Samurai for a pretty long period of time were mounted infantry, they could use their yumi from horseback, but it was usually better to ride to a place, dismount then fire. And most "samurai" brought a yumi, a yari, a sword, and a knife / shortsword to a fight if at all possible, cause ideally you wanted to keep people away from you and that's what bows and spears did... and you wanted to have a backup weapon if those became 'useless'.

And as samurai tended to have a lot of upward mobility if they were good at their jobs, it paid to have equipment that you didn't need to go all out on replacing if you were promoted up, which is part of why the katana was so standard and serviceable. It could slice, it could stab, it was good on horseback or on foot.

that *should be basically mechanically indifferent.

Katana is basically a two-handed saber.

A longsword isn't equivalent to a saber in any form, or else we may as well just have 'sword' as a weapon.

That's exactly my point. Katana may have similar stats, but it isn't actually used at all like a "longsword".

>Wakizashi's would have been slashing and piercing, because that's just how swords were used. Even goofy shaped ones could usually be used to stab.
True, but D&D and PF uses the main use of a weapon as their only type of damage, wakizashis were mostly used to slash even if you could stab with them, D&D shortswords seem to be used mostly to stab.

>A katana was a cavalry sword similar to a saber.
Unless you're using the wide term Katana as in Japanese blade, no, that would be a Tachi. By the time "Katana" (as a type of sword) were a thing Samurai weren't mounted archers anymore.

>By the time "Katana" (as a type of sword) were a thing Samurai weren't mounted archers anymore.

Really depended on where you went. Not a whole lot of clans really had much access to horses, and with "heavy" cavalry being so critical to most militaries in history they probably would have wanted to concentrate their former mounted archers / mounted infantry into actual heavy cav. But I'm sure you could find groups that still had mounted archers, simply because they'd have fulfilled a role very similar to dragoons - ride shit down and put arrows in them while optionally doing light-cav skirmishing.

Heavy cavalry barely made sense in Japanese terrain, it just didn't work well. It's like bringing a catapracht into the pyrennes.

>GM starts to pull "if he himself believes what he says he isn't lying" bullshit
Fuck this shit

"Hey minion I am in the left room" says the villain as he goes to the right room out of the minion's sight. The minion has utmost trust in his boss, but refuses to lie if interrogated.

"But he said he went to the left room! I am not lying" says the minion desperately as the paladin lines up the execution axe, a punishment for "lying".

Truth from a perspective is not a lie, user.

What do you do as a GM in situations like these?

When and why did all tieflings became full half demons? I remember back in 3.5 having mostly tiny stuff but now they're all the impersonation of your average devil (red, with hooves, tail, horns and goatee)

1. Is a motherfucking slippery slope
and 2. We can't do that shit but he can?, fuck this.

4e introduced the satanic gypsy-Jew tiefling, a race of people scattered after the fall of their ancient kingdom.
However, 5e turned around and acknowledged both the new gypsy Jew tieflings and the older X-Men tieflings in its sourcebooks, so now both exist simultaneously, though the 4e unified race gypsy Jew type did make the PHB cut.

Is there a good place to find art for Undines? If I'm playing an elf or an orc or something I just use Google images but Undines don't have much of a selection

I mean, if you know the truth and don't tell it, you are lying.

If you are telling the truth you've been told, but suspect that it isn't the truth, you are lying.

If you know a thing as a truth and don't have a reason to believe otherwise and say it as you know it, it's not lying.

If you are uncertain about two things being the truth, telling one is holding back the truth, but not lying at which point the line is blurred.

Simple as that

And how come you can't do that?

No, it's not a slippery slope. If you're an autistic faggot you might still fall off, but otherwise you're full of shit.
And why aren't you able to do this yourselves? Wizard tells the party he's gonna scout out the forest and casts Invisibility, while in reality he's going to bang some hookers. Comes back, says he found nothing, party is none the wiser.

If you fail to take advantage of it, that's all on you.

And why PF's tieflings are the satanic one even though the desscription says they can vary a lot? seems every PF tiefling art is not satan.

>Intrigue party
Courtesy of wild surge.

Is that tiny girl floating or is she the big guy's puppet?

Looks like she's sitting on the big guy's arm.

She's sitting on his arm to be able to look down on others instead of standing on the ground like a plebeian.

That makes sense. Why is she so small?

2'10" halfling.

Who do we have to kiss to get a genuine wild surge done of other parties?

Because the player, and the GM (in this case) had full acknowledge what the char was saying was a blatant lie and was 100% made to trick the PCs but "because my NPC doesn't feel like he's lying, he isn't".

Case in question:
>Shapechanger dude has killed a LG loved by all NPC, is impersonating him to kill another important NPC
>When asked why is he hurt and "his" home fucked up he answers he fought an evil man but drove him away
>We go chasing this "evil" man that doesn't actually exist because the NPCs corpse is still in the house
>GM doesn't roll sense motive for us (nor in game nor previously, nor nothing)
>Later we know it was a LE shapechanger and was lying through his teeth and used that time we spent chasing for the "evil" man to kill the important NPC
>Town now hates us for not doing our job
>When confronted why we didn't notice shit (even two of us have sense motive off the charts, Inquisitor btw) he just tell us "he believed everything he said so is not a lie, so I didn't roll sense motive for you"
Tell me if this isn't a fucking bullshit and full slipper slope

And a roll call for good measure:
Left, Godefroy Lesarge-Masson. Good guy and daddy knight. Everyone seems to suspect he's actually Elvargian, the quest giver.
In the back, Mycroft Cutting. Half-orc butcher with axes, and access to fine meats and shady deals. Doesn't like being called a savage - he's a civilized man!
In the front, Delnora Algata. Smug asshole elf who spied on Elvargian's correspondence, stole a letter, and is now impersonating a Karvane Company agent.
Sitting on Mycroft's hand, Miri "Dale". A halfling slave girl with some amount of divine heritage, who lords it over other halfling slaves and pretends she's not one of them as much as she can.
To the right, Patricius Sloan. Sleazy, greasy, greedy man in the employ of Brellock, a noble mercenary captain. Plays the part of drunken fool quite convincingly.

Actually Mycroft was more offended by the ranger saying he wasn't really a merchant than by calling him a greenskin.

Unless he is under some kind of memory-altering magic, your GM is full of shit and using semantics to pull random asshattery on you. You should definitely have been given a SM roll in that situation. The GM is using the rules wrong.

See, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand because the character in question was just making shit up.

>he believed everything he said so is not a lie, so I didn't roll sense motive for you
That has everything to do with the topic in question I stated it in my first post According to the GM "evil" is a matter of perception, "kill" can be undestood as driving away, etc, it was "our" fault for assuming to much. So he fought an evil man and drove him away and he's totally the NPC not a shapeshifter is all """"""""""""""""""""""""true"""""""""""""""""""""" according to the GM

Semantics. He's hiding stuff from you, so that's Sense Motive and Bluff checks. Your GM is sadly full of shit. The rules did nothing wrong, though.

Never said rules were wrong, read my first post I clearly wrote "Gm pulls this bullshit"

No, your GM is just a shithead. Any reasonable person would say that the NPC was deliberately deceiving you. At least, if we are to assume your story isn't bullshit.

user believed his story is true so you can't sense motive.