/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Clans taking the piss once again, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-08-18 - Still getting worked on & now has 14788 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-07-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1aTz1FLA
web.archive.org/web/20020803190522/http://www.macross.co.jp/contents/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=XoMs6iYXyng
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hehe, Butte Hold

improved IS/Clan weapons

pastebin.com/1aTz1FLA

First for chibi mechs.

That's it? No explanation, just "here you go, have some stats?"

uh, we got three threads.
there was an explaination on the original, and it wasn't really anywhere near the bump limit, so..

Previous thread is at bump limit now. Don't know about the other thread, let's use this one instead.

Hell, I'm using this one.

>320 text replies
>60 image replies
yeah, no, but if you want to talk privately thats fine.

Why can't the crazies just stick to the OF or troll the other threads rather than drag this here.

Bump limit on this board is, has been, and continues to be 310 posts.

nice try

The anatomy on that pinup though... what's with her arm? Not complaining about dat ass though.

What's your favorite Crud design?

Succession Wars: I would say CDR-3L is my favourite one due to JJs.

Any other period: Star League CDR-2R is really decent one, CDR-4BR sounds fun aswell haven't tried one out yet. Not really sure any of the Xl engined ones, they just yet another weakness to allready frail mech.

Looks like Harmony Gold is fucked sideways. Per their acknowledged and agreed arbitration with Tatsunoko (the most recent legal incident) they own everything for Macross except two things - one, merchandising rights for the franchise in Japan. Two, the big killer, "41 characters" that were never Tatsunoko's to begin with, that were awarded in 2002 to Big West. Specifically, those 41 characters are listed here in an announcement from BW, sourced from the Internet Archive.

web.archive.org/web/20020803190522/http://www.macross.co.jp/contents/index.html

Those look mighty familiar, don't they? And yet Harmony Gold just accepted a legal ruling that says they have zero rights or ownership of any of them. This means their case folds completely.

On the topic of Cruds, I still love the original. It's got tons of problems that need to be fixed yesterday, and the -2R is nice, but gimme those leg sixpacks so I can leave giant piles of smoke.

I still wish we'd get some drawfag that actually follows Obari as his senpai. Imagining an Obari-style drawn Atlas makes me cum buckets.

Is there a missile boat version of the Atlas, preferably backed up by a main gun like an AC/20 or gauss?

No, there isn't.

Thoughts on plasma rifles?

>broken link
The only conceivable hurdle remaining would be Big West pulling the same bullshit with CGL/PGI/HBS.

Here's hoping they let us have our knockoff robits and leave us in peace.

Aren't they also claiming that because they've used those 41 characters for over 5 continuous years without anyone claiming fraud or copyright infingement, that their copyright on them is therefore presumably valid?

Oh Bawoo. Only Ex-not!Nazi's who've spent too long in space would ever think you were a good idea. Let alone put you into mass production.

That's not how it works. Maybe with trademarks but absolutely not with copyright.

Nope. On August 16, they accepted arbitration that declared Tatsunoko had zero ownership of those mechs, and could not have transferred those rights to Harmony Gold, therefore HG does not at all own the designs in question.

>>broken link
Huh, works for me. I'll copypaste.
----
To Whom It May Concern
Big West Co., Ltd.
We brought a lawsuit against Tatsunoko Production to confirm our copyright ownership of TV anime "The Super Dimension Fortress-1 Macross" which has been broadcast in Japan since 1982.

Consequently, on February 25, 2002, the Tokyo District Court accepted our assertion and ruled that we are copyright owner of all character patterns attached hereto as lists No.1 to No. 41.

It is an inevitable ruling by the court that made a thorough examination on production process of "The Super Dimension Fortress-1 Macross."

We will take advantage of the copyright to develop more "Macross" products.
Kaya Ohnishi

President
Big West Co., Ltd.
Enclosure

1 VF-1S FIGHTER
2 VF-1S BATTROID
3 VF-1S GERWALK
4 VF-1J FIGHTER
5 VF-1J BATTROID
6 VF-1J GERWALK
7 VF-1D FIGHTER
8 VF-1D BATTROID
9 VF-1D GERWALK
10 VF-1A FIGHTER
11 VF-1A BATTROID
12 VF-1A GERWALK
13 ARMORED VALKYRIE
14 SPARTAN
15 REGULT
16 GLAUG
17 SDF-1 BATTLE SHIP
18 SDF-1
19 PHALANX
20 DEFENDER
21 TOMAHAWK
22 QUEADLUUN-RAU
23 NOUSJADEUL-GER
24 MONSTER
25 QUEADOL-MAGDOMILLA
26 TOUGOU-GUN Emblem
27 ZENTRAEDI Emblem
28 Misa Hayase
29 Hikaru ichijo 1
30 Hikaru ichijo 2
31 Lynn Minmay 1
32 Lynn Minmay 2
33 Lynn Minmay 3
34 Lynn Minmay 4
35 Claudia La Salle
36 CAPTAIN Gloval
37 Maximilian Jeunius
38 Roy Focker
39 Milia Fallyuna Jenius
40 Bullitie
41 Exsedol Folmo
----

Have anyone access to pdfs of the HexPacks pdfs?

>14 SPARTAN
>31 Lynn Minmay 1

Is it too early to celebrate possible victory for the little guy? Do I risk jinxing it?

Can't really jinx what's already occurred. Arbitration's over, that's the decision, agreed to by both sides, that's final.

Bretty gud
Fucks up vehicles and BA pretty well
Good against TSM mechs too

It's what us Macrossfags have been saying for since fucking 2002.
It's just now that Tatsunoko, for some reason, pushed Harmony Gold to finally accept it.

Unfortunatly this court case is happening in US and it seems US Courts tend to ignore decisions made in other countries courts.

No, that's the entire thing.
This is the old ruling cited for well over a decade that Harmony Gold ignored.
However, Tatsunoko, for some reason, attacked them over it and Harmony Gold agreed to the arbitration in the Californian court.

>However, Tatsunoko, for some reason, attacked them over it and Harmony Gold agreed to the arbitration in the Californian court.
And said arbitration (which did occur in the US) made a declaration that harmony gold does not own the macross designs, that those 41 characters are Big West's only.

The even worse thing, for HG, is that this is going in front of a jury

Didn't FASA actually get the rights to use the designs from Big West back in the 80s?

No. They got it from some third party US import company that went belly up long before the Unseen court case started.

The version I have heard is that FASA went for some company they thought had the rights to licence the designs, but it was later found out that the company actually didn't have the licensing rights. Which screwed FASA over in the 90's court case.

in early 2000's CGL did go to the japanese companies and got licence for all the unseen mechs that had nothing to do with Macross. That's why they can use Griffin, Locust and Battlemaster minis on the new boxset that is comming.

No, but if I were CGL/PGI right now I'd sure as hell be on the phone with big west trying to arrange one

Look into pastebin user. That's all the hand holding you get.

The Japanese have said the company in question had the rights to model kits and misinterpreted that to sell them the rights to the designs themselves.
Lines up with the fact Twelfth Century Imports initially provided the models for the game in a form of licensed models from Japan.

CGL never got the rights from anyone, otherwise you'd see a pretty big "© 1981 Sunrise" on these, which is simply not there. Likewise, if they had, they would have been free to just release all but the Macross machines long ago, which they did not.

Doh! And me looking for it in the pdf Folders. Would not be easier to have the files there?

They are just all grouped and uploaded as one.

I don't know myself but I imagine it was just easier to just leave it all together

Did not saw it...clearly i did not look into the folders good enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=XoMs6iYXyng

Copyright lawyer on the content of this case.

Clan Blood Spirit shall rise again.

Hey, doesn't this mean that RRT is now 100% fucked?

Why not just drop the Unseen and stick to non-legally fucked up mechs?

This all seems like more trouble than it's worth.

None of the Unseen are that good or cool enough that the game can't be played without them.

What's the likely availability of ferro fibrous armour leading to the invasion for mercs?

FF leading up to the invasion is so-so. Before 3039 they'd be limited to what they could salvage or steal.

Some are iconic user. The rest of people/backers would go mad with anger.

HBS can't do it without pissing off 70%of people.

Personally I just love the marauder so I need it in

Mid 40s to 50?

Looking to see how freely I can mod my lances

FF would be expensive, but within reach for a successful unit. If you unit has any luck with battlefield salvage it shouldn't be a problem.

>None of the Unseen are that good or cool enough that the game can't be played without them.

That's not what matters now. HG is claiming copyright on the fucking Atlas, of all things, which means that they feel that ANY giant warrior robot with 2 legs, 2 ams, and a head is a potential violation of the copyright they're claiming. It's not about the unseen anymore, it's about shutting down HG so they don't decide in 10 years that the Bushwacker, Uziel, and Templar are violating their claimed copyright.

HG is just going to keep coming back as long as they think they can squeeze money of out the Battletech franchise. They need to be shut down hard, and this is the only way it can happen.

FF Armor is rediscovered by Dracs in 3040 and listed as widely available by 3055.

It should be rare before mid 40s and gradually become more available after that.

This one.

>Created in 3066 with the mindset of "bigger is better", the 8S Crusader was built around an Endo Steel chassis and powered by an XL Engine. The 'Mech carried two LRM-10 launchers and two Medium Lasers but was also armed with the new Heavy Gauss Rifle, giving it great deal of close to medium range firepower.

Well I think my unit is quite good but Lance leaders(1/4-1/3 of strength) only got it.

Sorry to ask on a similar topic but I guess Endo is significantly rarer that FF? This then makes is almost impossible for mercs to get endo before the invasion?

Sanra says it was rediscovered in 39 but I imagine it was closely guarded plus is a full blown factory job to refit a mech with it.

Yes and yes. It's made in orbital facilities so that complicates things a lot. And finally, yes.

Depends entirely on if you use 3039 retcons or not. That's why I hate these kind of questions.

I recall Endo Steel was also rediscovered by the Dracs around that time but the Class F probably makes it even rare.

As for state secret, neither technology seems to stay secret for that long. Lyrans started building the FF equipped P. Hawk 3S in 3042 and the Dervish 7D has both FF and ES by 3047.

Now how'd they get a Cataphract?

Bought it?

Didn't they have an alliance with the Capellans for a bit?

Depends on the era. They probably got it from raiding the MoC though during the Trinity Alliance days.

Same way they got a whole shipment of a Phoenix Marauder II battalion still in the shrink wrap from New Valencia half the Sphere away.

"Pirate"

redpill me on HG

Patent trolls.

Copyright Trolls with a fuckton of financial resources.

True, unadulterated evil who hates all fun. Pure ass pained autism.

Thoughts on the Manteuffel tank?

I actually like those Marauders more than the Lyran one with the HGR.

>Manteuffel
Mehteuffel more like. I'd expect way more firepower out of a 70 ton tank. It going 5/8 was a mistake.

RAC/5 when vees don't take heat from ballistic or missile weapons is kinda nice though.
It's okay, but I vastly prefer the Musketeer

Speaking of RACs I remember someone once telling me always shoot 5 shot bursts always, I forget the reasoning.

Was he nuts?

He was nuts. They fire 1-6 rounds, with increasing chances for a jam the more you shoot.

I know how they work and I forget why he mentioned 5 shot. Any guesses?

He was nuts.

You're building a CCAF lance.

What four mechs do you use? (besides four Vindicators)

What regiment (or Warrior House) do you roll as?

As I figured, thanks.

Goliath, Goliath, Stalker, Cataphract.

Stealth Pillager
Stealth Pillager
Stealth Pillager
Stealth Pillager

Depends on the era and who I am fighting. Right now I have an odd lance with an old Marauder, a Pixie, a Vindi and a Wasp of all things. It's a cobbled together unit.

Rich white US Americans who want to do the Disney.

>founded and run by an Egyptian
Hmmm....

>cobbled together unit

Fits any pre-Sun Tzu Cappie force

Two Cataphracts, a Thunderbolt and a Shen Yi

Xin Sheng
Xin Sheng
Xin Sheng
Xin Sheng

Bought it in the open market, got it from an ex-merc going regular, got it in a raid, "pirated" it. Your choice. With enough money and contacts...

>bought
>from a statist government fixed in positions of desperate military build-up in at least every era since the Succession Wars began

Sold to mercs for service to the state I can see. "Open market" doesn't make sense for and shouldn't really be a Liao thing. Short of Xin Sheng magic.

You're just mad you can't even read it out properly.

新生!新生!新生!

Westaboos can't appreciate superior Han culture.

No, the problem is that our rounded eyes allows us to see it more clearly, and thus we can tell it's nothing of consequence.

so let me get this straight.
Japs looked at their legal department and found out that HG doesn't own the 41 originals. Okay!
and they also can pull the plug in March 2021 and remove all licenses from HG right?

The one of these which is most likely to appear as a representative Capellan lance on an actual tabletop is

No, it's still a cluster fuck.

Japanese ruled they don't have the designs in 2002. Harmony Gold ignores because it's "just" Japanese court.
Late last year, Tatsunoko attacks them over something, asks for some money and makes it clear they hold no right to those designs.
That case got settled around now.
However, it was an arbitration so any rulings only concern the parties involved.
While that is going on, HG attacks PGI/HBS/CGL.
CGL doesn't show up and accepts default ruling.
The court is set to September 2018.

If you're Tatsunoko or Harmony Gold, HG admitted they don't own the designs and can't do anything with them.
If you're not one of them, HG can claim whatever the fuck they wish (which they do, calling an infringement on those same designs they ruled they don't have) and the arbitration itself can't be used against them.

I often heard people saying that US jurisdiction is fucked up in the head but this is really satire at best.

So I noticed a few threads back when new box set discussion happened, there were major errors in understanding what comes in the boxes, and no one tried to correct, and surprisingly no one got too mad over the abysmal given examples.

Now, new starter still isn't the crazy value the previous set has, but the current details are:
Starter Set:
-Locust, Commando, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, Catapult, BattleMaster, Awesome.
-2 Dice, Rules, Primer, Record Sheets, 8 Mechwarrior cards (AS cards?), 2 Maps, Reference cards, Terrain Tokens.
-$60

Still decent value as starters go in the industry, and better miniatures then the previous sets that new players / passers by wont cringe at (but hey, I'm biased). As an user pointed out, you've got enough mechs for lance vs lance combat, no new player should be playing company vs company. But yet, lacks some flexibility in selection.

That doesn't seem too bad at all for what's in it, the 'sclups alone are probably worth around half that.
I don't like most of the reseens but the woverline, griff, and thud look awesome in 3d.

Beginners Box:
-Griffin and Wolverine
-2 Dice, Quickstart Rules, Universe Book, Record Sheets, Mechwarrior Cards, Map, Terrain Tokens.
-$25

Value for mechs goes way down in this set, but is obviously designed for cautious new players to buy to try out. Get a taste of the rules in 1v1 combat, buy more if you like it.
Of course, fans desperate to get their hands on a griffin mini asap will buy it too. Ultimately compared to IWM rates, you're still not being robbed.

In their con QnA they covered that the non mech materials are by no means cheap, so after the initial cost of mold setup, the mechs are actually one of the cheapest parts to manufacture in a starter set.