EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Now With 100% More Title" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Favorite and least favorite artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/edgar-markov-vampire-edh-4/
deckrealm.com/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-17-orzhov-artifacts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for stop saying "cgi" art

Swanland

Amy Weber has produced both my favorite and least favorite art pieces in this game. Nothing in the past 25 years has surpassed either of those thresholds yet.

>least favorite artist
Whoever made this fucking thing, jesus christ.

Talking about mtg art is kinda guilty pleasure, there's no real or meaningful discussion to be had but it's fun shooting the shit. Even though this is EDH general, but hey.

more like edgeland right guys

Nice quads
What about cg art?

"cgi" art
:^)

Or spikytiltedland

Never noticed how hit or miss Eric Deschamps is. On one hand he does this and Gideon Ally of Zendikar, and on the other he has stuff like this3

people often complain about "cgi" art. magic has no cgi art. there is a big difference between a digital painting and an image generated by a computer through the input of code.

Todd Lockwood.
I'm fairly convinced that every single Gideon must be redrawn until it looks nothing like any other Gideon.

Steve Prescott does better fun and lighthearted art than the Foglios

Favourite: Scott Kirschner

Least favourite: I don't know. Who made those ultra gay shirtless men pictures from early on?

Agree to disagree, but damn he's good. I'm considering ordering his Dinosaur Sketchbook.

What's the cheapest Way to upgrade the land base for Draconic Domination? I'd rather not spend $300 or so for all the fetchlands and pain lands (just yet)

>Favorite
Daarken
>Least favorite
I can't think of one artist I particularly hate the most.

You're free to do so whilst having a wrong opinion.

Foglios were too good for the game and it is a shame that they don't do mtg art anymore

Justin Hampton? Dark Ritual aside, his stuff was pretty bad.

>Favorite artist
Richard Kane Ferguson, easy. His Korlash art is amazing, blows Daarken's out of the water.
>Least favorite
I've never been a Wayne Reynolds fan

Shocklands, not painlands. My bad.

Forgot my picture.

If i give my opponent thoughtlash with donate or zedruu can he lose the game due to the cumulative upkeep due to the missed upkeep trigger?

Surprised no mention of Kev Walker yet. I like him for similar reasons I like Wayne Reynolds. I really love the use of darkness and highlights. Less emphasis on interesting shapes but much cleaner art I think.

That's bad, really bad, but I mean that homoerotic shit.

I'll let you off with a warning for that dangerously incorrect opinion as long as you concede that Drew Tucker is the greatest of all Magic artists

Does anyone have a good source for proxies? I've been looking to get an old bordered titania done, but I don't know where I can commission one.

no
I had to google who that was.

sure

I really like Kev Walker too

This.

>The funniest piece of art that google gave me wasn't even his art
Fuck you too

>someone paid money for this

Give me the edit of that elf art with the laughing elf pasted on it

Yeah man I got it but still, the ones I dislike the most are the ones that look like the covers of 80's hair mental records.

Absolutely. There's a reason he's the most prolific artist in the game. He's reliably good, easy to read at card size, and refreshingly simple.
REEEEEE
Ramos makes me sad on so many levels.

Only one of those looks like a 3D model

I've had a bit of a love-hate situation after seeing him develop as an artist for his Shadowmoor illustrations. I love them and I hate the fact it makes me dislike some of his more simplistic and odd illustrations like Ashes to Ashes.

The dragon was fucking stamped onto the canvas like a piece of ClipArt

Kraken and Ramos are both just plopped onto the scenes
The others were just rendered incredibly bad

The only reason I don't LOVE Kev Walker always is is that the things in his art can be kind of blobby and shapeless when he's doing like, animals and stuff.

>favorite
Probably Christopher Moellor or Chris Rahn
>least favorite
I don't know I don't care enough to think about having one

Post cards you recently learned exist.

I'm not sure that's how it works, though Thoughtlash is a great thing to give to a player using Zedruu.

That's the art of a magic card? That's some pretentious post modern shit right there. It's almost as good as that one white one about spirits that I can't fucking remember.

I just learned this too since you posted it.

What a shit card. It's only usable against storm and then you'll just deck yourself

Deckrealm makes high-quality but obvious proxies so you won't get hated on for making fake cards (the backs are printed with their own logo, not the MTG one).

Strange, I feel the exact same way. But after looking at his non-Magic work, I can really appreciate the less detailed stuff. It's not less advanced, it's just more distilled. It brings out the key elements of the scene and nothing else. It's almost as if he envisions an image for just a brief second and then paints it from memory. Sort of the anti-RKF.

What would you do with him though?

It's actually costed about right. They usually tack 2 on for an effect with a set cmc and effect worth a card for a cantrip, and msot of the time this is just a color intensive cancel with a draw. It's still total horseshit but yeah.
Didn't know there was a specification for the cards to have a use.

>commander is always 1v1, what is multiplayer

>draw 10 or 20 cards
>deck yourself
????

It had a place in the Standard meta, and it's somewhat useful for ending small-scale storm or counterspell duels.

Ok I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this being used in standard back in the day. I know it was Kamigawa/Ravnica standard but come on.

Well there wasn't until I asked. I just assumed he would combo with something, maybe you just think its a neat card, that's cool too. I do like the art, I like any ogre who dresses like he's people.

God Tier: Terese Nielsen, Rebecca Guay, Jason Chan
Great Tier: Greg Staples, Chris Rahn, Seb McKinnon, Slawomir Maniak, Volkan Baga, James Jones
Humor Tier: Phil Foglio
Should've Never Been Commissioned From Tier: Harold McNeill

(I'm a bit of a sucker for Nielsen and Guay, and for softer art with good light/dark contrast)

Unrelated, but anyone got any advice for cutting the last 9 cards from this deck to make it 99?
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/edgar-markov-vampire-edh-4/

Do you have a link?

it's just a weird card I didn't know existed until I was looking up wording for a custom card. It's shit

SeeI don't think it's pretentious, just thoughtful and moody. And if you read some of his interviews Drew seems like a pretty humble guy.

What do you mean due to the missed upkeep trigger? Cumulative upkeep triggers on the start of your upkeep, and the removing your library from the game is an alternative to the cumulative upkeep. If you give it to them after the trigger it just doesn't happen.

It saw play in my local area, IDK about anywhere else.

>McNeill
As in you hate his art? Or the whole neo-nazi thing?

Not a bad card but kinda specific. Maybe in Xenagos.

deckrealm.com/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-17-orzhov-artifacts/

I'm trying to make an Orzhov artifact combo deck with Athreos at the helm, but I'm a casual scrub and I need some help. The idea is to play artifact creatures for free and then sacrifice them while taxing my opponent with Athreos.
While playtesting this deck it's clear that it's too unreliable. Sometimes it'll combo off on turn 5, but most of the time it'll do nothing until turns 7-11. It also lacks any boardstate interactivity.
This is my first time making a such a complicated deck and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. Should I include more tutors? Should I put in more general artifact goodstuff, so that I can establish a more threatening board state? Or are there some better combo's I can use alongside the ones I've got?

I want to make it work, but I'm too much of a novice to do it alone, and there aren't any other decks like this on EDHrec.
I understand that Orzhov is among the worst color combinations for an artifact deck, but that restriction is kind of what makes this an attractive idea in the first place.

Mostly the neo-Nazi thing, and the art on Invoke Prejudice.
A decent amount of the other cards he did art for are good, but Wizards at the time was a bit too lax with either their research on the artists' backgrounds or the descriptions of the art they gave the artist that they wanted. If they'd been a bit more thorough, Invoke Prejudice wouldn't have ever happened.

I think that's pretty funny to be honest. It almost looks like a piece of satirical art mocking the KKK.

The game can't precede from their upkeep until the player with a cumulative upkeep trigger decides. They never 'miss' it. If both of yall forget then yall can either continue as you were or have them exile the card they drew. If you knowingly saw them forget about it, you have to remind them.

>It almost looks like a piece of satirical art mocking the KKK.
Except it was literally meant to be the KKK by the artist. As we mentioned, he is/was a neo-Nazi and fully supported the KKK, and he purposefully made that art as an allusion to them.

Wound Reflection and True Conviction seem kinda meh. Iroas is not a vampire, no matter how gas he is. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how bad Shaku is, but if you're gonna run bad legends for flavor don't skip out on baron Sengir. I think Lightning Greaves are better then Darksteel Plate most of the time. Phyrexian Reclamation is great if you can fins a slot for it as well. Mana Geyser is kinda iffy as well. I came up with these ideas while tabbing back and forth on your list, so it might seem a bit scattered.

Quick look over tells me Fiend of the Shadows (you need to pay the correct colors still and you're really heavy on vampire tribal to the point I can't imagine consistently regenerating this, and a 5 drop 3/3 flyer that makes an opponent discard a card is not a thing i dont think), Kheru Bloodsucker (very bad sac outlet and I don't think you're consistently getting the trigger in this deck) , Shauku (way too expensive for what it does and doesn't really help your tribal strategy), cascading cataracts (??? do you need indestructible lands in your meta...? I know it technically color fixes but the smaller versions are barely playable cards imo) Darksteel Plate (not sure why you're playing this ,not very efficient and I don't get the impression you need to protect anything in particular), I really don't think kindred boon is a good card, Vampiric Rites (unless this is some sort of budget consolation). There's a lot of cards I would not play but I'm under the impression there's some sort of flavor and/or budget thing going on here.

That's why it's funny to me. If that was a serious pro-KKK art piece it does a bad job of things. They look thuggish and stupid swinging those big axes around and a bit silly in the back peeking out from behind things.

Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Murmoring Bosk, Ash Barrens, Warped Landscape, Blighted Woodland

That's fair. I'm actually glad he was commissioned, though. For a few months at least, he managed to put his talent to good use, making stuff far more beautiful than the horror show that is his personal work.

Pic unrelated.

Not him, but as a fan of Selesnya, I think pic related got much more the essence of Selesnya than reynolds. In reynolds, the pegasus knight in the back looks out of place, and the hair on the centaur doesn't fit in the conservative selesnya culture.

Also, the lighting in reynolds art is all over the place, while in pic related, he made sure to make it look like the selenya is breaking into the darkness since selesnya is considered to be "good" with all the lifegain and populates.

But it's not like I hate reynolds, I like some of his art, like in Fiend Hunter.

>the horror show that is his personal work
Pic very related.

This is the art of Fiend Hunter for comparison.

Yup. I try not to get political here but the man's a damn psycho.

>88
How fitting.

That's hilarious

Wound Reflection was just a "maybe try", so I can get rid of it I suppose.
True Conviction has been an absolute bomb in every other deck I run it in, it becomes "remove or lose".
Iroas is more for the attacker protection and menace, and with the low amount of white and red I doubt he'd become a creature easy. And even if he did, I could tutor up OldOlivia and ping him.
Shauku I can concede, though she's always been a card I want to use but can't because she's never good enough for a slot.
Greaves over Plate I'll try.
I had cut Reclamation earlier due to having Volrath's (and at the time I still had other recursion in that I've since cut), but I should probably put it back in for easy recursion.
Mana Geyser is just fast mass mana for Debt, but I can remove it.
Fiend of Shadows I kept not to regen it, but just to poke people and steal cards (and I kept it over the new Kheru because Fiend lets you play the card forever, while the new Kheru only lets you play things while it's still alive)
Bloodsucker was there to steal health from my other stuff dying, since I figured everything would get/stay big enough with all the +1/+1 counters, but I can remove.
Cataracts is just mana fixing, plus it enters untapped so it doesn't slow my mana.
Vampiric Rites I put in over something like Greed just because it's B to cast and lets me sac to gain life and draw.

I also like the art for this one, but it doesn't really have the "reynolds style".

Those seem kind of like reaches to me. The theme of Selesnya was mostly hippies iirc, so I don't think having long and wild hair is really that so nto selesnya, and I don't get what you mean by the pegasus knight. Selesnya does have pegasi if that's what you mean, though yes admittedly it's not the first thing you think of for Selesnya. But it LOOKS like a selesnyan pegasus knight. I couldn't think the art would belong with anything but the Selesnya Conclave. It doesn't look like it'd fit in with a generic D&D campaign imo.

I agree the posted art is technically better though. Never meant to argue that Wayne Reynolds was technically very strong. His appeal for me is his stylization.

Fucking hobo Ray William Johnson

>playing EDH with casual friends
>play something like Luminarch Acension that looks scary but doesn't do much quickly
>friends all hate me out of the game because of scary do nothing enchantments
>sit there and die while Nekusar storms off every game

fuck my life I just wanted to play enchantments

It's absurdly expensive, but I kinda got the point of wound reflection as kind of like a damage doubler, so I didn't point it out. If I pointed out literally ever card I thought was bad it'd be most of the deck tbqh, no offense.

Also, Fiend Hunter is probably one of my favorite pieces of art by him.

I'll be honest, man. I've never won a game by leaving Luminarch Ascension alone.

Shit like that and bloodchief just ends up eating the game.

Sure, it is a "bad" card, but that's BECAUSE it is easily answered. It still wins the game if unanswered.

Go GW Enchantress with unkillable combos like Sigarda, Host of Herons + Privileged Position + Greater Auramancy.
And throw in some other safety like Wheel of Sun and Moon, Leyline of Sanctity, Solemnity.

Holy shit an old lady on a magic card.

And the young lady's tits aren't hanging out.

Was this a promo? I looked up the card and all the primary art is young ladies with titties hanging out.

It's an MTGO only promo or some shit.

It's art used for a promo on MTGO iirc. If it's not reserved, I also would be surprised if it didn't get printed in one of the masters sets coming up.

This guy is right.
Luminarch Ascension will win you the game if it isn't answered, so don't be mad when people answer it. You're complaining about the other players not letting you win.

If we're still talking about artists, what do you think of Mark Rosewater?

This looks is great. You can't call it bad just because the guy is crazy IRL. That's not how art works.

Yes but not every win condition is a giant "kick me" sticker and that's what Luminarch Ascension is. Sounds like user learned a hard lesson about multiplayer politics.

11/10

That one card in particular is bad because it's very obviously the KKK. Pretty much every other card he did was fine and even look pretty good.