What makes Kobolds unique in your world, Veeky Forums?

What makes Kobolds unique in your world, Veeky Forums?

They're dead.

Kobolds are uniquely capable of committing themselves to any persuit they set their minds to, whether it be farming, adventuring, cooking, they are single-minded and devoted. This has split the civilized members of kobold society (the ones no longer stuck worshipping dragons day in and day out) into two distinct groups: those that are actually good at their chosen pursuits, and those with careers like unto giant flaming trainwrecks more spectacularly terrible than one could picture.

They're my self-insert race.

Their boobs aren't as big as dragonborn boobs.

They don't exist.

Dragons in my setting are ambitious and political and wish to rule all intelligent peoples.

So when the kobolds talk about their dragon-overlords taking over the world, that isn't a pipe-dream. They aren't just a bunch of yappy instigators in my setting, the dragons actually accept their service and actually want to rule the world.

Kobolds in my world are very small goblinoids with reptilian features and a puppy-like face. They are often found in the company of other goblinoids, where they're usually kept as pets. They have no relation to dragons at all. An interesting quirk is that, though pathetically weak and a bit stupid, they are utterly incapable of feeling fear.

They are a lesser servitor race of Dragons before the Dragons created the Dragonblooded as their goal is to outbreed all sentient races so that all souls become Dragon souls and thus cement their rule over all of existence.

However, because they weren't deemed as "important" they were often left to their own devices expected to remain loyal even if they weren't contacted for thousands of years but over time they began to change from their standard form (i.e. growing feathers and shit) and many begin to take up sides with other races having become apostates who began to despise dragons for treating them like the mooks they are. The loyal ones retain their standard appearance and hate the apostates with a passion as they feel it sullies their honor before their gods.

Among some humans they are allies in the same way as Goblins and Harpies.

They're a subterranean goblinoid species, with features of moles, dogs, and axlotls. They generally make their living selling various goods to adventurers in makeshift stalls deep in dungeons or the veins of the earth. Said goods are usually looted off of other, less successful clients of the Kobold, who they track after leaving their shops "to ensure satisfaction".

They also employ/spawn a degenerate form of shadow-goblin called a Grue to do their spying and fighting for them.

I don't presently have kobolds. The local dragon-related reptile-people are seven feet tall and have four arms, so I can't rightfully refer to them as such.

That's a divide that can go both ways.

Like, you can have kobolds who are fearless crazy little goblins and that's plucky and fun, or you can have kobolds who are afraid of everything and that's plucky and fun in a different way.

My setting needs room for paizo-style goblins so I need to go the other way with kobolds.

they're furry

They have bigger scales

This pleases me greatly.

That man in the middle looks way too old to dress like that.

>That man looks too old to be having fun while pretending to be something he isn't
>Now let me get back to my latest tabletop character...

They have an insatiable lust for human cocks.

Okay, you got me there.

It is believed that every time a dragon bleeds, kobolds appear. The more grievous the injury, the greater the horde that arrives to serve. This is close to the truth. Originally created during a great war thousands of years ago, the original kobolds were an experiment using the remains of dragons to mass produce a combat ready slave force, whose survivors could go on to be self sufficient. Long after the war, with most of the dragons dead, and the masters who previously commanded the hordes of scaly rodent gone, the hordes fled underground, digging deep and far. Now, it is said that there are more of the creatures in the Down-Below than there are grains of sand in the desert.

Really though, there are no where near the amount that everyone thinks because they're too busy dying from killing each other, natural predators, and straight up just existing. Think of a mix of angry ferret and generic fantasy-bold

They are our setting's official "mad science" race with a bit of 'industrialized' thrown in because the gnomes are lameos and Dorfs have their own twist)Being skyshipmen with unasilible mountain homes with airship ports)

Kobold culture is all about raising the status of dragons and work very hard to collect and grow their master's hordes by forming little enclave states where they trade mass produced stuff, alligences and coin for ultra-rare stuff to add to their dragon master's horde

>Boobs on a kobold.
Get out.

Because they're the oldskool yappy-dog Reaper kobolds

Honestly, I hate "basically just lizardmen" kobolds

faggot

They're fuzzy, retarded (but generally pretty nice), and live in an ice maze with a grumpy old ice dragon. Also half of them were slaughtered in an undead invasion.

>watching a YMS review right now
spooky

furfaggot

faggot bo baggot, banana fana fur faggot

Fee fi fo faggot

Faggot!

Bottom-heavy.

They don't exist, the only sentient species that exist are different species from the homo genus.

They are friendly and loyal and love human company

>here's your kobold
What do you do with it setting wise?

Literally a yinglet

FPBP

They lurk in the desert in nomadic bands, and can survive with very little sustenance.

Those that are accepted into regular civilization are great couriers and runners.

They are unique species proficient in both magic and science, good at combat and very plucky! They're still underdog species, though because they are oppressed by mean humans and elves. But many humans actually like kobold for their cuteness and sexiness!

So... They're your creator's pet race?

Hot damn.

Brobolds.

My kobolds are yapping dragon-happy authoritarians, but there's an island of brobolds. They are the kobolds who were exiled for being too friendly and not cunning or bloodthirsty enough. And now they live with a crushing hole in their hearts because they aren't serving something greater.

My PCs are in a pirate-ey game and I've already decided that the brobolds are basically the best crew you could possibly find anywhere in the setting. Or my players might fireball them all and just move along with no idea that they just missed anything.

So they're people but subhuman.

I like Yinglets, little pests than lurk around Civilization and slightly more intelligent than a monkey, than try (with more or less sucess) to adapt human civ have a different way of thinking than humans.

That they unknowingly create some of the most advanced and masterwork crafts in the world and are only held back by a lack of access to materials and good equipment.

A master kobold engineer who can get work from a human without getting shot could build masterwork items and structures that would be equal or better to those made be a legendary dwarfish craftsman.

Alas racial tensions and stigma as well as the way kobolds behave as a group hold them back from true greatness.

They yodel.

The real question is which version of Kobolds do you use

Always had a soft spot for dogbolds, although lizards are fine too. Rats are shit tier though.

For You

An amalgamation of all 3

Smart choice.

Dogs or go home

They have breasts

One of the few times Veeky Forums did something worthwhile.

On Kobold's

Lifespan
Kobold – 20-40~ years
Winged One – 80-120~ years
Dragon – Unknown

The average Kobold lives only 30 years on average. They live much shorter lives but also much more productive lives. Kobold's mature in only 4 years and unlike other races they can learn anything in only a fraction of the time it would normally take. They achieve this by communing with their great dragon leaders. While they jealously guard how the process works it is speculated that they “Walk the dragons dreams” In essence experiencing life times worth of events and learning from them. It is not strange for a Kobold to leave for a communing and come back in only a scant few months a master smith. Unfortunately the extent of knowledge any one Kobold can learn is limited. It is unknown if this is just a trait of their race or a limitation of their communing. Each Kobold can only realistically hold onto a mastery or one or two subjects. It is noted that the few Kobold “Adventurers” encountered display much more knowledge than their clansmen. This may be because what they learn is not through communing but going out into the world and learning for themselves.

“Winged Ones” are a rare breed of Kobold. It is estimated that only one in a thousand Kobold's will hatch with wings. They live exceptionally long lives compared to their non-winged clansmen. Even compared to humans they can grow to venerable age. Winged ones mature slightly after their non-winged clansmen at around 5 years. At this point their wings are fully functional and they can achieve flight. It is unknown how long they are able to sustain flight though it is estimated to be no longer than 3 or 4 hours. They are also not known to be able to carry heavy loads as they fly either. Flying is not their only power as well. A number of winged ones have displayed the ability to breath fire. It is not known if all winged ones can do this or only a select few. On top of this a winged ones knowledge seems to have no bounds. They study anything that marks their fancy. Because of this most technological advances in the world have their foundations on a winged ones research. Even the marvel that is gunpowder seems to have come from a winged one much to dismay of the Dwarves who will debate this to the ends of the earth.

“Dragons” are the rarest breed of Kobold. Its estimated that only one in a million Winged One's will be a Dragon. Dragons for the first 100 years or so seem no different than a Winged One. Then at some point they some how metamorphisize into the great dragons. They will not share anything on this process. What can be said is the Dragons are extremely powerful. Just one could raze an entire fortified castle town. Luckily they are not vengeful or angry beasts at heart and will only stir to war when absolutely necessary. Instead they busy themselves with leading their race and overseeing their empire. The great Dragons knowledge is so vast and perfect that they seem to know everything and can recall anything perfectly. Thus they are the wardens of the worlds knowledge. They freely share this within their own race. Unfortunately they only rarely share knowledge with outsiders. Thankfully though they are warm hearted and if an outsider seeks their knowledge with the intent to do good such as curing a plague or figuring out how to grow more food for the masses they will likely share. It is unknown how long dragons live as only one has been known to die of natural causes and even then it is unknown how true that statement is as the dragons are silent on the mater. As of this writing there are 9 dragons on the council of fangs. This council serves as the entire upper government of the Kobold's. All major decisions are made by the council and spread by the Winged Ones across their empire. Local government is controlled by a council of winged ones for the larger settlements or just one or two Winged Ones for the smaller settlements.
On a whole the Kobold empire is rather small compared to Walsh or Deialga.

They have laid claim to every island in the sea. They control their island empire from their capital of Holtmare. While they refer to their collective lands as an empire they have not named it in any particular way so Humans have taken to just calling it Holtmare. Holtmare itself is situated in the shadow of an active volcano. Interestingly this volcano never seems to damage their capital. It is unknown why this is but it is speculated to be the work of the Dragons. There is estimated to be around 1 million Kobold's alive and spread out over their empire. The Kobold's tend to build their cities in the ground when possible. A notable example of this is Hiisila on an island south of Deialga. It is home to some 10000 Kobold's but you would never guess so from the deck of a ship. Looking upon the city from afar one would only see a collection of towers and a few buildings. It is not until you have docked and walked to the edge of a grand pit that you will see the full city built into the pits walls. Some might say that this is similar to the Dwarves. This while appearing to be true is not. While the Dwarves built down into the ground they dug out the ground and dug tunnels to connect rooms. Kobold's tend to build out from the ground in stone buildings. They seldom dig into the ground or live in caves.

They're canine

The Kobold navy is second to none. They have extremely advanced methods of building ships and using their communing all of their sailors are excellent shipwrights. They have even somehow found a method of building ships made entirely of metal! Until very recently such a thing would have been dismissed as impossible. Using this grand navy the Kobold's have complete control of the oceans and seas.

Reading on them Kobold's may seem to be strictly better than Humans. While this may be true in some ways there is one way Humans are unquestionably better. That way is art, creativity, inventiveness, ingenuity, or any other such word that implies creativity. While the Kobold's are undoubtedly wise they lack an inborn creative spark. They will create something brand new to the world then do nothing with it unless its an improvement on something already made. It is Humans that will take those tools and create something amazing. One such example is mortar, Kobold's traded the secret of mortar some thousands of years ago thinking it was useless. “Here is this liquid that turns to stone! Look how impressive it is!” They said as they traded for our gems. They thought it nothing more than a useless parlor trick. It was humans that realized we could use it to build formidable fortresses. Then some years later Kobold's realized what we had done with it and started to imitate us building stone structures of their own.

A lot of them are domesticated, fulfilling a similar role to felynes in Monster Hunter. They're pretty dumb but also very loyal, and can be relied on to perform simple jobs. People generally think of them like dogs that can talk. They're fun to drink with.

Accordingly, the wild, dragon-worshipping kind are regarded as savage beasts, like wolves.

that mitty
>screamingMan.mp3

Dogbold is best kobold

The historic, mythological version that have feet for hands and some kind of ugly face.

A large portion of Kobolds live in the swamps among the swamp-dwelling Lizardfolk tribes. Oral tradition says that a tribe of Lizardfolk defeated the Black Dragon of a warren of Kobolds, and the Kobolds latched on to the tribe of Lizardfolk, seeing them as stronger than the Dragon, and thus more worthy of their service and protection. These ones don't have sunlight sensitivity, and are capable swimmers.

This
Death to furfags
>inb4 it's not furry it's scalie you pleb ecksdeeeeeeeee hurrrrrrrr
It's childish degenerate shit that is beyond fucking cringe.

fpbp as usual, yiff in hell

They're actual kobolds, not the lizard midgets DnDtards latch on to

They're jews.

No, seriously. Everybody dislikes them, and blames them for the local prophet fucking off, but for religious reasons only non-faithful individuals can run Banks and Academies of Magic, so they're tolerated underfoot most of the time.

They tend to be pretty fucking badass wizards though. Not in that they have a natural aptitude for magic, but they're immersed in the stuff culturally more than the three most dominant races (Elves, Humies and Orcs) who all have reasons to be distrustful of magic (though they still definitely use the shit out of it).

Also they're closer to cutebolds and are doglike, rather than D&D's lizardfolk. Lizardfolk are the African parallel.

EFFbolds a best

>contrary to popular belief, the lust isn't to get fucked by one
>they simply wish to have one themselves
>a common fetish is thighfucking from behind
>so they can look down/back and imagine it's theirs
>alas, not all kobolds are so agreeable
>a few morbid ones think they can just attach a human cock to their crotch
>so they hunt for a "donor"

Storage containers for small things, about coconut half type things. The design is intentional; mammalian societies seem to treat kobolds with that fashion more favorably.

That's a Scritt. Cute li'l rats.

That's pretty fucking neat. Thanks for sharing.

DFCbolds*
Dunno what the fuck happened there.

>They're actual kobolds, not the lizard midgets DnDtards latch on to
Key part of that phrase is tards, and I couldn't agree more
Also this:
and

>That's pretty fucking neat. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks bro its from my setting I've been working on for years. It will probably never be done but its nice to hear that someone else likes it.

They can evolve into dragons.

...It's a kinda Re:Monster-esque kind of world.

Trappers and hunters, at the higher end of tribal intelligence and organization. They can make simple weapons of bone, wood and iron wood rarely vut lack the means to smelt metals, tgey will however trade smothskins for metal tools and other goods they can not produce. Their tempermant ranges from wary yet friendly woodsmen to hostile zealots depending on whether or not your in dragon territory. They have a gnome like facination for crossbow and other warlike contraptions tgat have earned them the respect of their goblin neighbors

Nothing. Because having familiar and easily acknowledged creatures in original settings isn't necessarily a bad thing.

They're Therapsids. Mostly have a caveman technology level, make small "burrows" in the ground. Actually pretty good at mining so some Dwarfs "hire" them to get their mine started (usually Dwarfs send out a scouting party to potential mining areas).