The New Plague Marine Models

Sup Veeky Forums Does anyone else dislike the new Plague Marines.

For me they were always Bloated Necrotic dudes in MkIII armour but these new minis with the horns, bells and tentacles seem to me to have way too much going on. I mean I find the Forge World upgrade kit to be perfect, why didn't GW do something similar instead of retarded, over the top, harder to convert minis that will mean you end up with an army of 4-5models in the same pose, with same weapons, looking surprisingly unvaried for a CSM army?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=third eye nuke&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirzrSy6OnVAhXhiVQKHY3tCZUQ_AUIDCgD
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Intercessors
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Repulsor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pic of Forge World Plague Marines

pic of FW Plague Terminators

Because they're being influenced by AOS. That being said, the Bell Model is one of my favourite models they've ever produced. You have to give it to them, these models have a dynamic attribute to them you would be pressed to get with that forgeworld kit. Also, Multipart coming in, like, 3 weeks, so we'll see then.

I have dark imperium set. I like those marines but i just had to cut some of those horns and bells and shit off. I really hope they release a box of 10 plaguemarines you can build yorself.

As I said not a fan, I like that look for the Daemons, but Death Guard/Plague Marines had their own thing going. I'm not a grumbly old fag but the new releases haven't impressed me. As you've mentioned to AOS.

Those are monopose. Multi parts will be a lot more streamlined and diverse, as they always are.

That's kinda my point. I love my conversion/modelling but these new releases when you look at the sprues are difficult to dynamically pose properly when you have horns tentacles and shit hanging of the torso or shoulder. It limits what you can do.

>Why are these monopose kits hard to convert compared to multi parts ones?

I sure as hell wonder why.

1- They're doing the more detail oriented models now because the CAD creation process means theyou are limited by what they are physically capable of pouring moulds for.

2- These more closely reflect Blanchian art than anything not metal.

3- Those are the starter set models, a new set of Plague Marines, complete with three or four brand new weapon options is coming next month.

It's possible to over-detail a model. FW's plague marines look better

I agree with the problems of modern GW models being both overly cluttered with shit and overly cartoony, but space marines have so many trillions of different models to choose from it's not like it's difficult to get something more basic if you want.

I quite like the one in the back right. Everything else is indeed overdesigned eyesores. GW's tendency to absolutely smother their models in excessive details is almost as frustrating as the prices themselves.

Too over designed for my taste.
I prefered the old metal and forge world ones, you know, the ones with out random tentacles and covered in trinkets. Just rotting marines with some corruption

>kitbashing is converting
Tickles the pickle.

To add, not a fan of their new bladed weapons, I'd rather have some rusty knife than some shitty over designed "KAOS xDDD" weapon

Those are just the monopose ones from the starter set. If you dont like them though you can always just get Putrid Blightknights or whatever they're called now and throw some bolters on them.

>a new set of Plague Marines, complete with three or four brand new weapon options is coming next month.

Sounds, lovely. You don't happen to have a source for it?

Shit taste. They make perfect chosen.

The problem is the plastic parts needed to complete them are utter trash

Are they manlets?

By a hair. They're just as tall as the new Thousand Sons, which are about a millimeter shorter than Chads.

not really these two are as big as a chad, and if the shorter ones had a different pose they would be just as big. The FW ones on the other hand need the manlet parts to be completed and are (like all old CSM sculpts) not just shorter but also way less bulky than the new ones

fuck them

I hated at the first sight.
Now they are growing on me but to be able to like and paint them a lot of stuff must be trimmed.
It can be trimmed, I just wish the designer shown restraint.
As FW knows when enough is enough. Saif this, some of the models from GW are respectful of FW design in some aspect.

To elaborate on this: see the guy with the helmet with round lenses that is throwing the grenade.
If the restraint shown for every model were that good, the set would be perfect.
As it is is good, the marines are imposing and each one is unique but they need trimming. Too many bells and whistles, literally.
True That the FW ones albeit wonderful are or will be soon obsolete.
HOWEVER, I do wonder if is possible to mount them on different legs.
Ideas?

I would add the hooded guy up front for character/psyker/whatever. He could have been his own clamshell and I would have been okay with that.

Could you do the torsos on old terminator legs like the lazy truescale method? You would still need plasticard spacing on the arms and maybe pull some arms from the AOS kit.

>some arms from the AOS kit
no idea about Stormcasts (were you talking about those, right?) are they as much as big as these bloated marines?
you know, maybe the legs with some repositioning and some additional sculpted armor could be interesting to see.
Thanks, user

>New models release
>buh huh, its not good according to my particular taste!

There is always that one guy who complains about everything GW isn't it?
And if you don't agree your a shill, right?

I was around when these guys was sold, and you know what we thought about it? That they where bad ass! Like literally mindblown! Finally a "Plastic kit" for Chaos Plague Marines! We actually thought the chaos players spoiled.

My opinion on this new release, just watch and see what any doable hobbyist can achieve with a bit of imagination. My philosophy is this, if you don't like it out of the box, you fix it the way you want it to be! Any other attitude and you might as well go back to playing Chinese checkers.

You are confusing the limits of a technology with the abuse/over-use of an advancement such technology.

>unironically using "bad ass"
Hi Rendy, still buttmad about Blizzard?

Most people are ok or like the plagues.
The problem is they designed good plagues, then kept adding pointless shit.
Get it?

The end of the Mortarion reveal says Death Guard are coming in September.

Death Guard is getting a codex in September, we've seen three models from the relevant new models to go with it, and the CSM Codex has like 4 new melee weapons and a heavy flamer for which there are currently no models for.

Plague Marines are getting a Rubric Marines style plastic box.

This.
It's possible to do small kit bashes with some of the sculpts (I had good luck with blight king weapons and some of the guys with separate arms/ open stance). But the champion model sucks

I will wait for the new box, trim a good amount of shit, use the bits of such box, and if I am desperate use heads from the blightkings if I am lucky and find them.
It could work.

Hey guys, do you have some pics with diffrent way of painting DG like posted?
I try to find a look for my DG but I dont like "clean" paintjob of GW and wanted to add some more nasty un to them.

Those are awesome but that snow efect is what I dont like at all.

Big reason why I'm not terribly offended by Primaris Marines, is that they are pretty simple and clean looking.

They really should've made basic CSMs in primaris size, wearing old power armors before jumping into the god specific shit.

Not a fan of the overly detailed stuff in general btw. If I want to shit my models full of details, I will glue it that way myself.

It's because GW is back to painting everything like cartoony shit, not because the sculpts arent good

>implying blanchitsu-style is more realistic than the cartoony one

Still you have horns with horns and tentacles with tentacles in every corner.
Some smaller spike and couple of tentacles could have done the job anyway.
That "let's use ALL the techniques I know ALL TOGETHER' paintjob looks better than GW but just goes around the point.

Heads on the multipart is possible... but on the monopose... could work. Just some of the blight king heads are weird. However some of the mutated arms fit on the models amazingly well. Thanks CAD design!

The new plaguemarines they are basically the personal designs of a french converter and painter.
What is really funny is they incorporate parts from 3rd party sources.

And this is supposed to be an intro set right? If I was just into paint there is no way in hell I would even ATTEMPT the plague marines. Especially once they glue them together. It's annoying as fuck for me, and I kept them all as separate as possible

>Thanks CAD design!
That is going out of hand, not only topic related.
The (literal) "edginess of some weapon, armor and even whole model is out of control.
See how good are the standard knives of the plague marines of the same box, and how disgusting (not in the good sense) the plague knife of the champion is.
Then you have the sorcerer. Unsalvageable. I will probably scratch build or re do half of the model. For sure both arms.

Use a guide you dumb faggot

>implying blanchitsu-style is more realistic than the cartoony one
It's not more realistic, it's just more awesome.

>implying the one on the right is better than GW's.

It's pretty awful actually. I don't mind the cartoony one, but that awful grey/black one is just ugly.
Not even Nurgle ugly, but just hard to look at.

it's just more awesome

wow, shit taste AND the vocab of a fourteen-year old
It's a painting style. for paintings. Ostentatious and out of place. Looks so unappealing on the tabletop.

Grognards ITT don't understand the difference in painting styles is just as simple as highlighting or washing.
If you want actually "cartoony" look at the rarely used mat colour with black outlines comic style.

Mortarion reveal?

Neato.

Watched the reveal video and all I can is holy shit, the Mortarion model looks truly awful.

Like, why couldn't they've just gone with the Fallen Angel of Decay vibe instead of this shit? And let's not even get into his motorized scythe.

I think is to keep it visually coherent with the rest of the guard. I can accept that, even if is different from Epic.
I like the wings, they call back nurgle demons. I dislike the usual "let's add details AUTOCAD LOL"
I hope is not just freakishly huge like Mr. Dindu

>why didn't GW do something similar

Because they didn't have to think about posability and options when making their starter set, mono-pose models, and to make them more appealing to people even after they've bought the regular models. Look at, say, Dark Vengeance DA terminators that look nothing like the blander DA terminator kit that got released later.

Proper plague marines will be far more toned down, most likely compatible with the MkIII marines.

I do wonder how big the customization will be. For sure the squads will be interesting to play and build.
They have like 4-5 different kind of special weapon and 3-4 melee weapons.
I do wonder if people already discussed some optimal loadout. The 3plasma teams suggest a MSU model that abandons the sacred number of 7.

Sacred number unit sizes are a shit meme anyway.

In general yes but for plagues in previous editions was a sweet spot. Is not fluff autism is recognizing a (possible) change in style.
(Yes I am aware some people used them as 5 men with 2 specials anyway).

He's not even over-designed. It's just a big space marine with wings.

>...motorized scythe.

You act as if this is a new thing. The Horus Heresy model has a chainsaw on the end of his scythe as well.

Once again, these paint jobs people post to show "it's just the paintjob that's the problem" actually perfectly communicate what the problem with cluttered, poorly designed modern GW sculpts is. The paint job intentionally has to effectively block out 80% of the sculpt with dull, low contrast colours to hide most of the model so your eyes can actually focus on the remaining 20%.

i dislike the new plague marines from dark imperium, but im willing to give the new box set a chance. They just seem too busy, i prefer the minimalist design of the FW ones.

Heres a WIP shot.

why does these miniatures look like someone sprayed jizz on them?

More people riding the nostalgia train..

Well no shit user. Or Duncan.
I am saying as a first time painter, if I saw all these little details, and all the work you need for the death guard models, I would be like 'fuck that, I'll stick with Primaris'.
And frankly the guide for the cheaper starter set is horrible. Just using DG Spray, and the bare minimum metal trim, then drown in Earthshade, looms like trash

That's some good shit user.
I like the green stuff on the psilencer. Smart use of bits, and the effect will look cool... I really want to use more 30k models for mine, but I like the bigger marine models than are moving towards. The old ones are too small now.

You bitches act like his motor-scythe is a new thing. Even his old art had the little chainsaw bit on the end.

>I was around when

Chaos marines were literally space marine models with daemon head-swaps in the Metal Age of 2nd ed before Renegades. Essential elements for plague marines were one eye, one horn and cloven hooves. So plastic plaguers with two eyes, no horn and a poorly-proportioned steak knife were not lauded universally, just by squeeing fangirls - and even the fangirls were split on the twig-n-berries codpiece.

tl;dr: There's bad from maximum overbling, bad via omission and bad by way of adding a few tacky details after a long lunch at Bugman's.

AKA Not Good.

This user gets it

They look gross as day old shit.
I fucking want em

the fans looking like they were dipped in tar and completely non functional trigger me a bit

thanks, user!

so... you dont like them. Wow, that was worth the fucking thread.

I just prefer feathery wings

Removing detail is child's play.

He's trying to start a discussion and cultivate opinions, you short sighted shitlord.

>I don't like thing!

Isn't this like 99% of Veeky Forums threads?

Apparently not since GW keeps shitting out these eyesore models.

...You do realize fixing the clutter is one hobby knife and a clump of greenstuff away, right? You can even use some of the extra bitz on other models.

I mean some models like the champion are just crap but that's more on the terrible hooded head than anything else.

That guy sucks, all he can do is airbrush white and black. Literally all his paintjobs are the exact same shit:

google.com/search?q=third eye nuke&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirzrSy6OnVAhXhiVQKHY3tCZUQ_AUIDCgD

I'm glad I'm paying these Premium Prices for The Finest Miniatures In The World so I can resculpt them from scratch to not look like shit.

Shhhhh, let him shill in peace

Attempting to cut down on the stupid overboard giant horns, but I really wanted a quick force to game with in SW:A. Here are the WIP results so far...

>I'm glad I'm paying these Premium Prices
Are you, though? Let's see your army.

I actually like them, minus the champ who looks like shit

the champion looks alright. It's the sorcerer that looks like garbage.

Huurrr

Shut up and enjoy your death guard.

Some of us are still waiting on the Chosen set to come out as a multipart set, let alone Havocs or generic Chaos Marines.

Never going to happen

OP here, thankyou man, this was what I was trying to get at. The overkill on detail and the extra time to trim, sculpt, and tamper with a more expensive model is the problem. If I wanted the extra details I'd greenstuff them myself. GW minitures have dropped in quality in the last few years IMO despite costing more.

The sorcerer is truly terrible, I agree. I converted him a bit to give him a scythe instead of that weird branch, and replaced his face with one of the antlered hoods from the blight kings because that big puffy nincompoop face was too much for me

They aren't bad, they just don't fit any other legion/warband than Death Guard. I run Black Legion and I bought myself old metal plague marines, because them plastics don't fit in my opinion.

Then put feathery wings on it

>those mold lines

user please.

He's the shit fairy now.

I preferred the thin stretched out limbs, would have made him longer without needing to be chunky.
Bar the wings there's a lack of daemonic grandeur, no mutation etc.

How do you mean they're hard to convert? Just get yourself a box of MkIII's and some fantasy Nurgle bitz, swap some body parts of MkIII marines with plaguebros, decorate the cleaner combos with FB bitz. Boom, you've got a nice unique blob of a crapton plaguemarines.

What mould lines?

Across the top of the guns, pretty sure I can see a bit on the left guy's backpack too.

gun

I've never understood this argument, go look at a box of primaris intercessors and tell me GW is slapping on too many details

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Intercessors

the things are barren, they don't even have purity seals, they feel kinda flat actually, then you look at a repulsor

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Repulsor

and you realise that geedubs only has like two designers, someone who slaps on detail, someone who removes detail, models only look good when both of them can be bothered to show up.

so what's your opinion on this guy?