7th Sea just won the gold ennies award for Best Rules and some other ones

7th Sea just won the gold ennies award for Best Rules and some other ones.

Anyone care to explain what makes these rules so great?

Here are all the ennie winners:
enworld.org/forum/content.php?4400-Congratulations-to-the-2017-Gen-EN-World-RPG-Award-Winners!&s=58fc3bd1f7fff16709c7108acdc79a36

Other urls found in this thread:

johnwickpresents.com/7th-sea-basic-rules/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

post pdf

The rest were even worse.

>wotc won in Best Publisher category
Top kek.

I'm running a game of 7th Sea at the moment and my players love it and even I am a bit mystified by the results of the Ennies. 7th Sea has a lot going for it as a narrative game. But the best rules ever? Hardly.

What are the basic mechanics?

Do you have the quick start rules to share?

johnwickpresents.com/7th-sea-basic-rules/

I mean I enjoy playing 2e of this game but feel like it is not that mechanically great. If everyone gets on the same page of how the system works though it can make action flow pretty cinematically

Legitimately curious about the quality of 2e to see if I should dip into it again or not, first experience with 7th sea was an 8-month campaign which labored with the rules.

I found 1e to be a terrible broken mess where even basic mechanics were flawed to the point of needing houseruling to make them function as intended (drama points themselves, among other things), not to mention swaths of the extended rules that were so badly designed as to be almost entirely unusable like magic and mastery schools.

That's all 1st edition stuff you're talking about. 2nd edition is pretty much a hard reboot rather than a revision.

I like the system to a certain extent, but I sort of dislike that at base levels, it's basically 'roll dice, now you have half that many raises to do things with'.

Oh nice, okay, that's good news. Thanks. I'll check it out.

>Anyone care to explain what makes these rules so great?

In-depth, detailed rules for killing dogs.

What is a ennies award and why should I care about it ?

The rules are basically form a dicepool of Stat + Skill of d10s, roll. Make sets of dice that add up to ten, each set of 10 counts as a success. I really like this mechanic. The rules of 7th Sea however are very very light & sometimes swingy. It rewards you for solving a fight in a bunch of ways by ggiing you a free die as long as you use a skill you havent already used in the combat, very narritive/story based. The nations & Sorcery could use better rules. My favorite nation Eisen has the shittiest Sorcery, & no longer gets exclusive rights to Dracheneisen, which is a huge bummer.

Leveling up is cool. You plot out a rough narrivitve with the GM. When you finally achieve your cool you get XP equal to the amount of steps it took.

>making sets of 10 with d10
Ouch, right in my autism. I could probably just do that for fun on its own let alone with story mechanics.

How much of john wick being a piece of human garbage come through in the writing?

Classify human garbage?

Its strongly SJW, witha lesbian & gay couple kissing in two seperate art pieces. & very progressive world

Nah nothing to do with his political views, John Wick is just infamously assholish and promotes a really adversarial players vs. GM style of play in his old essays. Wondering if that comes through in the rules.

Oh, yeah, I don't care about sjw stuff one way or the other. More him being really excited about being an asshole.

>won for mechanics

wat

It's like two steps from free form.

Ennies are decided by a fan vote, right? 7th Sea is just that popular.

Honor + Intrigue is a better swashbuckling game imo.

In terms of the rules, the only real thing that comes across as "play my way" is corruption rules. Basically any time a player does an evil act, the GM gives a warning that proceeding with the action is an evil act, if the player continues, then they get corruption points equal to which number evil act it was. So first time gives 1 point, second time gives 2 points, and so on. Each time corruption is earned, a d10 is rolled, if it rolls equal to or under the number of corruption points, the character turns into a villain. Only way to reduce corruption points is to do a "redemption story", which is basically the equivalent of putting in the effort you need for the highest cost Advantages in order to just remove 1 point of corruption.

It's easy enough to ignore that though if that's not the type of setting/tone you're after, and only use Corruption for the various sorcery where the really fucked up/powerful shit just nets you a single corruption point.

>ennie winners

why did so many lovecraftian games win shit, yet i can never find people to play those kidns of games???

Given the sidebars, I feel like his writers/editors had a much tighter leash on him for the actual rules, and he just vents it in the sidebars about things you could do instead.

Is this version of 7th Sea metaplot agnostic, like they did with L5R and the new V20 stuff?

No metaplot for now. They chose to expand the setting's geography instead.

Star Wars d6 had a similar rule, and it's not a problem so long as the GM and players are on the same page concerning tone and themes.
>the reason this gets brought up on Veeky Forums so often as a flaw is because most Veeky Forums autists view the GM as an enemy and are incapable of actually understanding others and coming to a cohesive whole

>tfw no one to play 7th sea with
I really like the setting but I would rather play it than being the GM, unfortunatly no one plays it at the moment in my country though the core book will soon come out here so I hope I'll find a group

I read the corebook and it seems like a fun game, though the rules are not noteworthy, the characters creation is very nice, you have to give your characters an arc, a tad similar to Song of Sword in my opinion.
The system seems to be mainly made for narrative and heroic purpose, with a good gm it might be a really fun game to play

It's far from being a problem in the 7th sea books, you have two illustration of lesbians and gay couple having a kiss and a part describing how the world of Théah is way less restrictive than it's 17th century Europe counterpart, men and women are equal and there are normally no restriction on profession