Sci-fi Hobbit hole

>Sci-fi Hobbit hole
>It's not comfy

Why does science fiction have such a big problem with aesthetics?

Other urls found in this thread:

w-hongkong.com/en/rooms/extreme_wow_suite
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because some artists have trouble figuring out what stuff people would have in their rooms in the future, I suppose.

probably because scifi doesn't try to be comfy.

Shit son, I can make 50 square feet of bare concrete feel comfy. Comfy is at the heart, not in the furnishing.

if you wanted comfy sci-fi art, you could have just asked.

I'd at least 4 walls, a roof and a floor to be comfy.

That's a deathtrap
That's back problems
That's living out of a van.
I'll concede that is actually a pretty cool thing for a few years

It's because science fiction film and tv boomed during the period that Modernism was peaking as an architectural and design movement. Your monolithic white buildings, bare walls, and blocky furniture made of aluminum, plywood, and plastic was what some people thought the future would be: clean, utilitarian, and orderly.

That looks comfy as fuck man.

Most "comfy" scifi might be as well taken with little modifications from RL shit tough.

w-hongkong.com/en/rooms/extreme_wow_suite

This might be your snazzy VIP suite for the noble on the starship.

Funfact possibly useful in games: most asians (especialy japanese) high class hotels' sites offer a plan for the rooms.

It looks like some sort of industrial tumbler my man.

Because modern design tries to look spacious and sleek

Spacious is the opposite of comfy

>spacious in space

What's the deal with that anyways?
Wouldn't you want tight enclosed spaces like submarines?

aside from engineering and resource reasons, why would you 'want' that?

I'm a bit worried about any living space that includes a section labelled 'coffins'.

Exactly!

Just use holograms and screen walls to give the illusion of space. Like that stuff in Prey

Because it's comfy, what are you a fucking elf

Eh, it's just a capsule hotel like in nipland

having steep steps or ladders and narrow halls that can hardly squeeze two people like a submarine doesn't sound comfy at all. worse, low ceilings.

Because "comfy" is disordered.
A "comfy" space looks lived in, which is the opposite of the minimalist, clean aesthetic that most sci-fi writers try to take on.
You want comfy sci-fi? Try something like Deponia or Tekkonkinkreet.

It's based on Japanese capsule hotels. They have a certain charm even though I'm sure it would wear off real fast.

those look so small. I wouldn't be able to lie down with my arms sprawled to the side.

Is that sci-fi South Park?

>Why does science fiction have such a big problem with aesthetics?

Sci Fi tends to be utopian, dystopian, or grity. Only one of these, utopianism, even tries to be comfy, and it fails because utopian visions are sterile and unrealistic.

It's sci-fi Sweden or something. Google Simon Stålenhag, some of it is comfy, some much less so.

Comfy.
Not a fan of it as a hotel, but for a family it could be comfy.

But user, this looks comfy as fuck. Save the awful chair design and crt TV, but after replacing those, 10/10 would live in.

>deathtrap

How so? There's no gravity outside of the pods, only inside. You step out and float, you step in and walk.

>capacity
I don't see how it can have that many people in it.

There's some real MC Escher shit going on with that stairway.

How would you reconcile this, Veeky Forums? I mean having soldiers in full plate, but also armed with modern (or modern-looking, anyway) machine guns? A machine gun will rip right through plate armor like paper. It's only useful against slashing weapons but if your setting has machine guns why would anyone be using swords? Even if you go the "government hoards the guns for itself and the civilians only have medieval weapons" route, it won;t take long for those guns to fall into the hands of civilians one way or another.

The only way I could see this working is if a primitive society came into contact with a relatively advanced one and has adopted their weapons technology, but it's still too early for them to realize how ineffective their armor and defenses are against modern guns.

In order. Sleeping ring goes around entire sphere (perspective).
Coffins have room for 4 beds, and each corner contains one (Bad Drawing).
Double beds can have two occupants each (that's on you).

Understanding how zero g works will make you realize the death trap nature of that transition.

>Double beds can have two occupants each (that's on you).

capacity of 4-8 implies there should be four double beds. i think the other half of the bottom level is hidden from view.

The ball room : It's clear that the bunks doesn't cover the entire ring, at most it's probably only 4-5 beds.

Yeah after i look at it, the dark wall besides the standing man is an alleyway to another 2 coffin bunks.

And there's only 2 double beds. Yeah it said 4-8, maybe 8 means they converted the upper rooms into another 2 double beds. That's on me. It's weird that militaries do double beds for their soldiers though.

I always tought it would be kinda funny to real space hobbits. In space opera, most probably, between the high-stakes shit going on.

Not some primitives, but a remote (?) high tech planet in which the people are basically the platonic ideal of comfy.

Imagine not!Bilbo in his holographic hometheater just chilling out with his favorite game, and then an avatar of not!Gandalf drags him into his things and before he knows it he has a bunch of cyberpunk space miners in his carefully kept hightech tatami room

>real space hobbits

>Smoking inside
>On an iPad or similar
>has a cat
There is nothing comfy about being a garbage person

1. They have better armor than we do.
2. The government hoards the guns for itself and the civilians only have medieval weapons.
>but it won't take long for those guns to fall into the hands of civilians one way or another
Ubiquitous guns don't stop cops from wearing vests, and in any case if the vast majority of people you're going up against are going to have medieval weaponry then it's not like wearing it will kill you.

>KONSUM
Subtle.

It's their world's tacticool, just like the mental midget warrior-cosplayers in our timeline roll desert camo and long guns while securing airports.

Unironically looks like an extraordinarily comfy place to live

Because you don't enjoy accidentally knocking yourself off a wall and having to wait ten minutes until you slowly float across the room to a different one.

Meanwhile, you missed the bus and the phone rang but you couldn't answer it because you were floating in the centre of your spacious living room like a fucking idiot.

You should look at buying a bus, that's literally all it is.

It's a IRL Swedish store brand. Doesn't mean what you think it means.

>How would you reconcile this, Veeky Forums?
Same as with most sci-fantasy setting details: Don't try to reconcile or justify it, and nobody will ask you to. Just have fun with it, and perhaps be a little more shrewd with the exact details of how those elements of the setting interact.

It's because the future of comfort is personal rather than material. You'll be comforted by a cocktail of designer drugs or in your holo-castle of elf slaves, you don't need an elaborate meatspace floorplan. The future home is all about ergonomic use of space and ease of access to essentials like food, toiletries or sleeping quarters. Anything to minimize your downtime outside of virtual or purely mental space.

Any armchair psychologist here willing to analyze why I'd love to live in a comfy hobbit hole (so long as it provides a kitchen, fridge, washing machine, showers and water toilet, especially toilets and showers are rarely seen in such artworks) over a big ass mansion, or even just a regular house for that matter?

>Understanding how zero g works will make you realize the death trap nature of that transition.
It's artificial gravity, retard. It varies depending on where you're at.

>hurr durr everyone would die if that existed
And yet it clearly shows people using it who are not dead, so logic would say you don't know how artificial gravity works.

Well, how does it work?
I mean, that image is already using something called "artificial gravity," which, if it isn't being generated by a centrifuge, I don't think we know how it works at all.

Start writing your sci-fi adaptation of The Hobbit now, you can publish it in 2044 when it becomes public domain.

These designs are cool, but tottaly not appropriate for Neuromancer at all, and it triggers my autism every time I see them reposted.

I'm starting to wonder if "Comfy" is a Psi-op by landlords trying to rent out really tiny apartments to as many people as possible, thus maximizing their own wealth by altering everyone's aesthetic tastes.

Of course If people wanted spacious, they would be spreading out more. It would mean less urbanization, but people might start competing more with agricultural areas or natural environments, and thus cause ecological issues. So maybe we need more Comfy.

What happens when you're two dozen pods up about to open your door and the anti-gravity stops working? Even if you're inside when it goes out there's not even a ladder for you to get down.

Uh, why would it?
It's clear from the diagram that the pod has "standard gravity" while the outside of the pod has "anti gravity." If the chamber's artifical gravity were based on a centrifuge, this wouldn't make any sense: you would either have artificial gravity everywhere or gravity nowhere. Take a closer look at the "capsule stacking" diagram, which clearly indicates people moving between pods (in what appears to be "anti gravity") at the same time that two people in pod 15 are sitting at a table (in what appears to be "standard gravity"). That wouldn't be possible in the first place if the system uses a centrifugal artificial gravity system.

In other words, if you look closely at the picture, it becomes clear that the capsule hotel's "artificial gravity" (a term not used in the image) is not created using a centrifuge, but something else. We don't know what that something else is. You could say that that's handwaving, or that the concept image relies on a version of artificial gravity that doesn't or can't exist, but you can't say that it would be a "deathtrap," because it clearly can't be getting its gravity the way you think it is in the first place.

Ladders would still probably be a good idea, though. Don't want to get stuck driftin'.

It says "Anti Gravity Chamber" rather than "Artificial Gravity" which implies that the standard gravity is natural and the anti gravity is caused by some device as part of the chamber. It doesn't matter what's causing it. Every device can fail, and when this one fails it will be lethal to anyone not inside their pods.

You've got terrible taste it seems.

Neck yourself loser.

All these designs are absolute shit, the ideal sci-fi inhabitable home will most likely be hexagonal to maximize space, minimizing the perimeter and thus minimizing material cost while maintaining 100% packing efficiency.

Hmm. That's an angle I hadn't considered, actually. I was thinking that perhaps "standard gravity" was an abbreviation of "standard Earth gravity," which could be understood as a measurement of gravity, as in 1G, and that the gravity in the chambers was artificial. But the capsule stacking diagram seems to disagree with that, and I'm pretty sure The Sprawl was on Earth, so that's my idea sunk. You're right.
I guess this just raises the question of why anybody would bother using an anti-gravity field on Earth when something like, say, a flight of stairs would do just fine.

Stairs take up space. If there's anything cyberpunk likes, it's cramming more people into smaller spaces at the expense of their well-being. That said, this is poorly thought out enough to stand out as a deathtrap even by those standards.

Hexagonal on a flat plane leaves tons of wasted space counting access. I could see a wall of hexagons like a honeycomb, with elevator floors every 2.5m and each cell 5m high, though.

Maybe their armor is substantially more effective than ours. Maybe nanotech or some other field advanced in such a way as to make armor a viable thing again.

>Hexagonal on a flat plane leaves tons of wasted space counting access.

It depends hexagon patterned grids is still one of the most efficient ways of organizing packed spaces in 2 dimensions, a futuristic city may not necessary construct their buildings with hexagons but their city districts are most probably going to be planned along hexagonal urban grids.

That looks comfy as fuck. If it comes with a liquor cabinet, let the bombs drop, I'm staying inside anyway.

You should know.

>reee it does not fit the specific setting I want that wasn't specified anywhere
Well they're hardly appropriate for Warhammer either, and you don't see people bitching about it.

Look at the lower left hand corner of each of the pictures, then delete your post in shame and embarrassment.

Look at the bottom left corner of the images.

>not liking classic CRT TV
how can you call yourself comfy

You have to crawl over the chair to get in and out of the bed

Just looking at those beds makes my back hurt

There's no toilet

Probably the only livable one of this series.

This one is just full retard. You have to go through the bathroom to get to the lower right bedroom, and that command console on the upper floor is right in the middle of a walkway.

Why do people keep reposting this series of pics? They're not "comfy" they're not even livable, whoever drew them is obviously artistically proficient but has ZERO concept of architecture, interior design, aesthetics, or just basic room layout.

Just read Nausicaa and you will understand. You should anyway because it's one of greatest (if not the greatest) post-apoc sci-fi ever made.

>le comfy xD