Find a flaw

Find a flaw

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!2McSla6Z!CV8YeeTBlWmuzU7SBxg47Q
docs.google.com/document/d/1D-d140bAiY7WkaoaBV2jj6H9nL8nQnoZ2ZMVDW41Duw/edit?pli=1
thedeificnmi.com/docz/animawebsupplements1-3.pdf
docs.google.com/file/d/0B77al-1nzMGaTDJSbjg5Y2lpY3M/edit?pref=2&pli=1
mega.nz/#F!w0pTATCJ!AIlU1sVxmASerlUr27yrvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Haha is this for fucking real? This is my favorite system and it is one of the most flawed pieces of crap I've ever laid my eyes on.

That's with the system itself, you wanna talk translation errors? They've got errors fucking galore

>Spanish weebshit where you need a 9 to hit anything
For one it's dead.

You want a flaw? Here's an obscure one, the pregens in the book in English don't match up stat wise with the other versions. They're weaker for no reason

Honestly it's not that weeb-y, some of the art is, but the rest is just high fantasy. And the other art is fucking gorgeous. 9? We rolls d100's here

>and it is one of the most flawed pieces of crap I've ever laid my eyes on
Or I have sight problems or I clearly read Anima and not Pathfinder

Pathfinder is a well made, streamlined game compared to Anima.

anima does literally everything pathfinder is "good" at better without having its many obvious flaws

unless rolling 1d100 is somehow more intenstive than a d20 when the math more or less lines up anyway

Ok guys, threads over, this is bait.

It could be simpler

>Find a flaw
uses big numbers for no reason.

That's probably is its biggest flaw, sometimes it overcomplicates stuff, and you can see this in Core Exxet 2 in where they made somerules from the first book simpler.

It has a reason, you might not like it or could be aproximately be the same with lower numbers, but it has a reason. For starters aboid d20 copyright.

d100 works out to different probability than just rolling a d20 because you use two dice

Losing actions as a core combat mechanic is, IMO, a fucking bad idea. 'You don't get to do anything' isn't fun. I understand the place it has in the system but I'd enjoy it a lot more if it just wasn't a thing. Games have been moving away from stuns and 'lose your action' mechanics for a reason, and that it can happen quite easily every single combat round is a bitch and a half, either making the fight boring for the players or making it too easy as your opponents are perpetually stunlocked, forcing the GM to just spam damage resistance creatures instead.

Anima has a ton of flaws but its that rare system that manages to have character creation that is

>Open ended to make whatever concept you want
>Full of interesting choices and generally lacking in dump levels or trap options
>On top of that the various archetypes are generally balanced against eachother without feeling the same

Grand majority of games only get 2 or even 1 of these points down.

You have a number of options to get back your action, on top of being able to just take the hit in order to guarentee your turn, something anyone can do.

>aboid d20 copyright
then why not just play a d20? or dice pools?

>He doesn't know everybody can not lose actions

Because is different than d20. Sorry if I assumed wrong but you sounded like an user that appears in every Anima thread and whines about beign D100 and not D20, so my reply was a little bit biased.

I had a friend that genuinely wanted to try anima and gave up because of all the weird calculation you had to make. For me it just... doesn't make much sense to play it. It's not doing anything different than the others systems or settings.

Can you go into them? I know about taking the hit, but when I played that basically always seemed like suicide.

>It's not doing anything different than the others systems
I want to know more other systems with an infinite extense char creation system that allows you to build whatever you want without having to wait million of levels to do it while also being balanced. You can count with the fingers of one hand systems that do that, this was the winning factor that made me stay in Anima, the calculation I got used to in barely a few sessions, now is just automatic and sometimes easier than 3.PF with their infinite bonuses stacks and bookeping

>I know about taking the hit, but when I played that basically always seemed like suicide.
It just cuts your base block/dodge in half. Since you were complaining specifically about enemies being stunlocked when they should probably have those maxed out (as well as stuff like open rolling or buffs to those abilities) you don't have to worry about big badguy getting ganked.

There's also stuff like the quick recovery ki technique that effectively lets you go "no, I get to act after all". It still sucks to be put on the defensive, but its not hopeless.

>It's not doing anything different than the others systems or settings.
anima is at the same time a crushingly realistic medieval fantasy simulator (a full sword stab is about as lethal at level 1 as it is at level 10) and a totally crazy dbz simulator

>I want to know more other systems with an infinite extense char creation system that allows you to build whatever you want without having to wait million of levels to do it while also being balanced
Storyteller?

>It just cuts your base block/dodge in half.
Not anymore, in Core 2 is now just a -80, sure, it's a lot at first levels, but around 5th or so it becomes better than halving your defense

Well, in context it was more the GM screwing us over, since he told us not to optimise but every enemy seemed to have maxed initiative, offence and defence.

It probably just exacerbated the problem of spending significant amounts of time in combat unable to do anything, but I still feel like building the system around it was a bad call, regardless of what methods exist within the system to get around it. Like I said, losing your action just isn't fun.

Or turn yourself into an damage acumulation creature

At the same time, it's one of the key ways that anima doesn't fall into the fuck martials mentality a lot of games do, because joe Q warrior can prevent big dick wizard/technicians from taking their turn while generally having the armor and block stat maxed to always take their turn even with the penalty talks about.

If it happens to you like that I agree it's shitty, but its also an option you can use against the GM to feel really helpful without having to remember how the fuck your fancy powers work.

>while also being balanced.

why do you lie user?

kek

agreed, its why i still play it

>anima is at the same time a crushingly realistic medieval fantasy simulator (a full sword stab is about as lethal at level 1 as it is at level 10) and a totally crazy dbz simulator

i mean...yeah

Ha 30 replies, 9 posters... it seems the same people are here as usual anytime an anima thread is up. Dyel you here?

This does bring something up, is there a system that can do what anima does in terms of extensive character creation? is that system better or worse? because thats sort of why i like anima, i can play just about anything i want as long as it suits the campaign the GM is running.

anima does engaging (if not lengthy) combat that has you strategizing and utilizing a huge list of moves instead of just "i attack"

it does fantastic character creation that even imposes balance in it so its a little harder to min max since you can't put 900 DP into attack and then get 10 AT.

its overcomplicatin and translation errors...eh...no defending that

the fact that it wants you to be DBZ with its 2 month training times just to learn a single move, where it'd be much more fun to just learn things and make those optional.

but yeah its may favorite system still and theres a good discord server to help people out, and with a BIT... a big BIT of tweaking you can make it a fairly competent and fun game.

oh right and its super easy to home-brew stuff in since the stuff is following a formula and pattern for everything.

Hey nerds, who wants the Perfect World Guide from GoM? All of you, that's who. Mega

/#!U1QQEaoT!f9VWXprWlYT4t8w5JDpuIZyswM69QNq9wSxoWqr5i0I

>is there a system that can do what anima does in terms of extensive character creation
I feel like generic systems might be cheating here.

>Okay, so you rolled 95 plus 34 for a total of 129, adding your 166 attack it comes up to 295, but you were attacking aggresively for a +30, but you used the secondary damage of your weapon so you get -10 and then it's 315, so 325, he rolled 87 plus his 124 defense makes for 211, but he has partial cover for a +25 totalling at 236.
>Your 325 minus his 236 equals 89 and he has AC type 3 versus your type of damage, so you make 70% of your normal damage of 115, so it's actually 80 and a half, but let's round it up to 81 damage
>Now, this other guy is charging ki and adds this turn 1 point on STR ki, 3 points on Dex ki, 2 points on...

Well generic often leads to imbalanced and clusterfucked

Or just get the free easy to use excel sheet and be done in 10 seconds

I heard someone bitching that by time the the acrobatic warrior can reliably tumble around people, the technician can already *teleports behind u and unzips katana*. Is this complaint a) legitimate and/or b) evidence for a more widespread issue of supernatural abilities trivializing mundane skill? I know the setting has fucking insane inquisition, so using ki all the time will bring the heat, but the class list in the core rule book failed to bring up and need to keep quite or pick more subtle classes.

welp, thats kindof true that Ki can out do any maneuver in the book alone. however, the acrobatic warrior can also use ki techniques, and the maneuver mentioned can be combined with ki techniques.

if you were to compare the two on their own then yes that is true, however thats like saying swords can beat armor so armor sucks, since you can do both on either character.

Also it depends on wether the GM is a cunt and decides not to go with the universal ki rules.

Or play a game that isn't about autistic bean counting.

Automatic transportation, the *teleports behind u* a low/mid level character can be expected to get, is posted right next to a big sidebar saying that you don't get a back attack for free with it, but you CAN get the bonus for surprise the first couple times you do it against someone if they dont have a reason to expect you can do that kinda of thing. When you start getting into higher level stuff like ars magus you can in fact just teleport behind someone and get the positon advantage over and over, but you're generally able to make a notice check (a skill everyone puts points into if they want to live) to try and negate the advantage, so while it's strong its not invincible.

Meanwhile, to use acrobatics to roll to someones back and attack requires that your acrobatics -150 beat their attack or acrobatics roll. That sounds heavily against you, but it's worth pointing out that secondary abilities, physical ones in particular, are secretly really strong in anima if you invest in them properly because they're the only thing in the game that doesn't have a cap, can be made really cheap to raise with class/advantage bonuses, and with the core exett rules for natural bonus you get a ton of points for free. A level 1 acrobatic warrior is probably not going to spend much if any points in supernatural powers, so even after they max out their 60% of their DP in martial abilities they still have 200 points to spend on secondaries, meaning if you take a 1 point advantage to make acrobatics cost 1 point (which you can do because you dont need to use all your advantages on ki or mk like techncians do) to raise you could completely negate that -150 penalty and try to get the large back attack advantage every single time you attack, with no resources spent and no real way to counter it besides rolling well (and even if they succeed at beating your acrobatics check, all that happens is that you roll attack normally)

Technician is BETTER, but not overwhelmingly.

>evidence for a more widespread issue of supernatural abilities trivializing mundane skill?
Not really. Because of how anima does damage and health a large sword to the chest will always be a serious threat to something that's even kind of human assuming it lands properly, and mundanes have a lot of options to try and make landing that hit more possible, either through martial arts or tactics and positioning. Something that's really worth stressing with how animas classes work is that in order to be supernatural you need to take advantages at level 1 to do it. It's straight up impossible to cast spells or psychic powers without spending a large investment of points, and even technicians and summoners will really want to put their points into stuff to increase the rate they gain resources or otherwise enhance their ability. Meanwhile a pure mundane character gets to spend points in just having a bunch of extra points to stuff he was gonna do anyway, or having more EXP than everyone else, or just having a shitload of money in order to have several layers of armor that make it so level 1 characters have a real bitch trying to actually hit you, advantages that never really stop being useful the way mundanes tend to fall out after a while.

There's also the fact that mundane characters in anima don't nessicarily have to be that. Every single class gets points to learn ki powers, just at a lesser rate than a technician. Every single class can learn how to summon a thing they made a pact on their journey with if they're willing to deal with extra costs compared to being in a proper summoner class. Every character can know how to use a psychic power every minute or so, or be able to see supernatural abilities even if they can't themselves use them in order to defend against them better, every class can end up favored by some divine entity and given cool buffs even if they don't happen to know it even exists, ect ect.

It's not the most advanced combat system but it's got tons upon tons of customization and still decently crunchy.

>decides not to go with the universal ki rules.
>TFW I've been doing this for years
Was I secretly a cunt the whole time?

i would hazard to guess it depends on the power level of the game, if everyone else is dropping meteors and hurricanes but you're still struggling to pull off the additional attack technique.

but if its below level 5 then i wouldn't see a huuuuuge problem.

i like the universal rules for high power games and giving mages a free buff to start out so everyone is a bit more powerful.

is it possible to dump 100% of your points into attack only? is it up to the players to not build a broken piece of shit like GURPS or does the book have rules to prevent becoming a lvl 1 that ruins the game balance?

Yes, GMs need to actually engage and not run the game on autopilot. I've never understood the fear and loathing some Anons have towards session 0 and character vetting. Fuck, I do that even in specialized systems.

>the universal ki rules.
I don't remember these, what are they? Treating Ki from all attributes as interchangeable?

Speaking of which, where can I find stuff like the Exxets? I have the base book, but despite constantly hearing praise for the various supplements, I never downloaded them, and last I heard they were still Spanish only. Have they been fantranslated?

Where do I start?

This is one of the least intuitive pieces of crap I have ever played, and that is coming from somebody who actually really enjoys the style, aesthetic and feel they were going for. I love the art.

they've been officially released, i would never run without the dominus exxet its essential. theres only 1 not in english and its very much needed but we dont have it.

mega.nz/#F!2McSla6Z!CV8YeeTBlWmuzU7SBxg47Q

every anima book besides the second edition of the key rules, the important bits you can find translated at docs.google.com/document/d/1D-d140bAiY7WkaoaBV2jj6H9nL8nQnoZ2ZMVDW41Duw/edit?pli=1

also theres some errata
thedeificnmi.com/docz/animawebsupplements1-3.pdf
docs.google.com/file/d/0B77al-1nzMGaTDJSbjg5Y2lpY3M/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Awesome, thank y'all!

>Scissura Exxet
What's this thing?

Also, have my basically complete collection of English, Spanish, and Tactics.
mega.nz/#F!w0pTATCJ!AIlU1sVxmASerlUr27yrvg

Does anyone have PDFs?

Disregard, updated late

Just remembered that there's some translated Gaia 2 missing from that archive, but won't be in a position to upload it for five hours.

It's a bunch of homebrew

Which one? i can translate it

There's actually more than one. Gaia 2 - Mas Allas del Espejo (or whatever) is the only book truly not translated. Core Exxet isn't fully translated, but the mechanics have been and it's otherwise pretty much identical to the English core (though that has kind of shonky translation). There's also the Dramatis Personae web supplement, which is stats and background on a number of important NPCs. I don't know if any if the other Spanish web stuff is untranslated.

>Dramatis Personae
>XII's title literally translates to 'The Hung'
I know it should be 'The Hanged'

I have found many disadvantages.
Miopy, heavy sleeper, bad luck, I can go on.

>half
80 actually.
Got changed in exxet.
It is good for heavily armored characters, if you wear lttle gurly panties and zero TA not so much

Hey man the prpcess gives you a huge dong.
t. Ronacul

As someone who speaks Spanish I nerver had a problem with the rules

Everybody has ki, mks are resources waiting to be spent, if you don't you're limiting yourself on purpose. No different than no spending on attack or defense as a warrior

>ffw no OEF version of Gaia 2
>tfw can't inject translated text into the file so it looks nice
Probably wouldn't work anyway, but it's a nice idea.

kek

>*teleports behind u and unzips katana*
Doesn't work. When you Ki-teleport you always attack the front.

Joke aside, is there bigger noob trap than:
Bad luck, miopy, heavy sleeper and slow reaction?

Damned for 2 points. Unlucky Destiny.

Thank you, user! Been trying to get my hands on this for a while.

Wrong. Actually pretty damn wrong.

You can't dump everything into attack because of the Power Level. In Mutants and Masterminds (at least 3e, granted I don't have knowledge of the other editions. I know 2nd is pretty similar in most regards) how many character creation points you have available depends on something called your Power Level. It's not exactly an equivalent to level in other systems, since it's mostly set at the beginning and rarely increased, but let's treat it as such.

Normally, you'd be around PL 10 if you want DC/Marvel stuff, lower if you want medium fantasy. But thing is: For every attack that damages or causes an status effect, your damage bonus and your accuracy bonus put together cannot exceed twice your power level (If it's an attack that for whatever reason it outright can't miss, damage can't exceed PL). That means, you could have a +10 and +10, a +13 and +7... But it basically requires you to trade-off accuracy for damage or vice-versa. Defenses also have this limitation so you cannot outright be immune to shit due to defenses alone (Granted, you can have immunity to specific as a power, but it's crazy expensive and generally a huge trade-off). As such, combat powers are generally kept balanced.

That being said non-combat powers are unregulated and are entirely dependent on GM policing. The book encourages you not to let a player travel in time if that's going to be campaign-disruptive, for example.

Given the enormous fetish potential of the powers you can build you might also want to police magical realm

Damned 2p is lready implicitly "you fucked nig".
Unlucky destiny is free points for summoners and an easy way to increase your 90+ rolls

I've seen combat classes take Unlucky Destiny, though. But I am curious what you mean by an easy way to increase 90+ rolls.
Could you explain?

Because you can't open dice will conspire to roll more 90+ duh!

Unlucky isnt too bad, because it wont actively rape you silly.

As someone who has taken Unlucky, no. The dice do not conspire to roll more 90s.
And as a whole, I guess Unlucky isn't terrible, but it can still screw you when up against dice that frequently roll hot.

Some more trap options, though.
Powerful Enemy(2), namely Inquisiton or a similarly powerful organization.
Physical Weakness, because it's such a GREAT idea to reduce the save that Criticals check against.
Psychic Consumption, especially if you don't take Psychic Fatigue Resistance to balance it out.

>Powerful Enemy(2)
That actually is free PDs if anyone else in the party has it. You're already hunted down by them even if you don't have that flaw by association, so

But it only provides Background Advantage Points. Which, I mean, hey free Artifact or something.
Conversely, if someone has Enemy - Yehudah, and another player has a Wizman, the organization might make overtures to that character promising all sorts of shit if they just betray that one guy. I mean, don't you want to see a world where spellcasters aren't shunned?

Any
>Half resistance lol
Seems innocuous until
>Yeah that had venom get fucked cunt -AAP.
>Yeah you're fighting zombies and dealing with rotting food. Roll em disease up.

Also consumption should only, ever, foreverandever, be taken on mentalists who will never actually actively cast in combat.

>I mean, don't you want to see a world where spellcasters aren't shunned?
Yes.
Because they're dead.
ABEL VULT.

Also can't beat
>Player, being a smart cookie: I'm playing a saint!
>Player in public: Cool dude! Same Player, in secret: Hey user. I'm playing a non human :^)

I meant taking Powerful Enemy (same as the first user).

It tries to simulate Anime levels of bullshit which is a noble but unnattainable goal

I know what you meant, I'm just providing an alternative.

How about
>Player in the beginning: I'm a Lilium High Priestess, Trees are Justice!
>Player now: I may or may not be a saint or an angel, depending on who you ask...
>Player to the Catholic sect of Our Lady the Spider: Uhhhh, yeah. Be nice to other religions... Uhh, practice renewable lumber harvesting... Uhhhh, Kick Azur ass for justice?
>Church of Our Lady the Spider: IN NOMINE ARACHNE! *War Lagor Cavalry charges*
>Azur troops: What the fu-

Uhh... use a goddamn calculator?

Im actively GM'ing a game of Anima ATM and doing combat calculations only ever takes long due to players miss-remembering how much damage they deal. Otherwise with a calculator in hand it takes 30 seconds.

You're also using the outdated damage calculation, they changed the insanity of that to a simple and effective formula in Core Exxet 2 along with other needed changes.

>they changed the insanity of that to a simple and effective formula in Core Exxet
It's the same formula, just not in table form.

>having to stop all combat actions every 10 seconds to make calculus
Sure, that sounds like fun.
Why not make an RPG that works with vectorial calculus while we're at it? I mean, all you need is to bring your calculator with you, there shouldn't be any problem.

I actually have a programmable cal, it takes 2 secs, and taking into account I GM using my laptop is literally not a problem.

First thing I do is always show gurps vehicles 3rd ED and flying to new players, if they say it's too hard I just kick them from my group.

Go back to D&D boi.

It's not hard, it's slow and annoying. It's literally the opposite of fun unless you're an autist who enjoys spending the evening doing their math homework.
Then again, Anima is designed for autists so, there's that.

>Slow and annoying
So are you but people still hang around you, don't they?

You're just making the fans look bad like this.

Look, man. The slow and annoying dig wrote itself. It woulda been wrong of me NOT to crack that joke.

The question/meme goes up every threas.
Just figure the 1% of your attack damage and multiply, gurps tier easy

>Storyteller
>extensive character creation
Every Storyteller system is broken as shit

>is there a system that can do what anima does in terms of extensive character creation?
Many, but most of them are built for it. All the superhero games like Mutants and Masterminds, all the generics GURPS is good shut up, etc.

Shadowrun doesn't do the same, as it's generally not as "free", but it *is* extremely extensive. It's also trash, but that's a separate issue.

In general though, it's pretty uniquely classless for a class-based system.

You can't do massive damage from the get-go, no, but you can still make ridiculously broken attack maneuevers. Reaction (Existing Near You), Perception, Rank=PL Damage effect for instance is basically game over. It's also blatant powergaming, but the GM does need to rein that kinda shit in.

Also there's no real trade-off to Immunity: Toughness or Immunity: Fortitude or Immunity: Will, and the latter two aren't even really very expensive for PL10, if you abuse Arrays. Hell, you can even abuse Arrays to make those Immunities be in the same one, and throw in some meaningless Limited flaws or some shit.

The game works out fine balance-wise, because people generally don't do these things because the GM will tell them to stop being such a fucking faggot, but they're completely possible RAW

Anima's classes are more of templates/clutches for what you want to do.
You can make a wizard using a technician template, it'd be retardsd.