MTG modern general

"to horizons new and old" edition
>playing
>hating
>brewing

dont have the other links, would be nice if someone posted them

>thread q

the banhammer is coming down next Monday, and we will be waiting with bated breath to see what gets hit, so. With that in mind if you could garuntee a certain card to be banned what one will you pick and why?

also what old mechanic would you like to see brought back seeing how the edhbabs got phasing on one of their new cards

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Death's shadow for a ban. I don't think it's that oppressive but Wizards are pretty reactionary sometimes and this could become the new Splinter Twin.

>memedern

Design a card that would be useless in standard/edh but tier 0 busted af abuse before it gets banned in modern

2B

your life total equals the number of cards in your hand

AY YO HOL UP HOL UP
SO YOUS SAYIN
AY YO HOL UP
HOL UP
SO YOUS SAYIN
WE FINNA
WE GON BE
SOME FINNA
HOL UP HOL UP
WE SOME SORTA
WE FINNA BE
ON A MAGICK KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDZ?!?!?!?

at least they did it tastefully with teferi, he was the main character of time spiral.

:^)

>Hating on Teferi
Go be a nignog somewhere else.

I want to put Grim Lavamancer and Pack Rat in a deck together. Is that just kind of not good enough currently?

That would be aweful.

here are the other links

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

you could play BR rat moon but I don't think that deck plays Lavamancer

It'd be a grindy midrange deck maining ghost quarters and k commands to ruin trons day too

just play jund?

I already have abzan

Played some Knightfall against Abzan earlier. My god Tireless Tracker is one hell of a fucking card holy dickballs. New Nissa is also fucking amazing in the deck. Sucks fucking dick when you manage to hit Coralhelm twice in a row though, after scrying a Company to the bottom.

show ur deck pix

>playing
GB Tron. I love getting to slam fatties and it's very solid in my local meta. I absolutely love Newrakul as a one-of and I feel anyone on this deck should consider trying her out.
>hating
All the people crying about bans. I actually feel like the format is in a relatively healthy state right now. Hell, even UW Control is doing well for once.
>brewing
Nothing really, just working on my sideboard. I'm considering taking a page out of Hooglands book and trying Devour Flesh, seems like some straight spice.

UWx is only doing well because the best deck in the format kills itself for you, letting you just mop up what's left.

>Tireless Tracker
The power and synergy is real. I can't believe how long it took me to her into the deck. Considering making her a 4-of.
>New Nissa
I'll have to try that out. I already pulled one from drafting Amonkhet, and have been toying with Elspeth KE and Tamiyo FR, but didn't really love them.
>Sucks fucking dick when you manage to hit Coralhelm twice in a row though
How many Coralhelms do you run? 2 seems like the magic number for me. I'll usually assemble the combo at least a couple times a night, and rarely ever see the second copy clog up my hand.

rate my shitbrew

strangleroot geists will be goyfs

I also think I need more lands if I want to use tracker

I want Wizards to print more answers to discard. I don't want to buy fucking Leylines.

>answers to discard

I'm sorry that someone thoughtseized your degenerate combo deck user

>Goyfs
With no way to get them higher than 3/4s on your own? Goyf is so good in jund because you turn 1 fetchland into shockland into a thoughtseize, putting a non-sorcery, non-land card into the opponent's graveyard, making it enter as a 3/4 on turn 2 (just to get bigger once you start throwing bolt/push and Lili). It's not just an auto-include in every green deck.
>I also think I need more lands if I want to use tracker
Tracker shines when you have 8+ fetchlands in the deck. But yes, 20 is pretty low for a CoCo deck. Aim for 23.

Why 8moon? It's a good sideboard card, but you're just dead to any mono colored deck, and you're not even doing anything cute to capitalize on it, like mountainwalk.

Wraths, Paths and Elspeth.dec is also pretty gas vs company piles.

Heres you
>"Yes I finally get to do it, all the pieces of the puzzle are in my hand turn 1, this fuckboy is going down and I get to masturbate right in front of his face!"
>They Thoughtseize
>"No, my carefully laid out keikaku has been foiled! Now ill have to play Magic and not jerk off on the table!"

White and blue have historically been the control colors, and that is still very much the case today. The quality of the removal that you pair with blue has always been an important element in building a control deck. But when the removal becomes more important than the permission, and planeswalkers offer better card advantage than the mediocre card draw we have in Standard, maybe blue isn’t necessary?

Anyones takes on this? Is blue becoming irrelevant in all Non-Legacy formats?

Btw this is from EFros new CFB article

Blue is very relevant in Modern.

They should reprint Daze desu.

As long as combo exists, control decks will need to run Blue for permission or have some kind of prison gameplan that can stop combo (like Solitary Confinement in Astral Slide, or the E Tutor toolbox in Legacy Parfait).

The biggest point here is Planeswalkers generate more cards then Blue draw spells do anymore, its not even the counters that are that bad anymore its the fact that both Control and Aggressive strategies will run out of cards around the same time, mostly in Standard here, and while aggro topdecks Hasty Earthshaker Khenras and Burn spells, Control topdecks Draws Divinations and Counters.

U - Scrapped Inspiration
Instant
Draw a card
If you discarded a card this turn, instead draw two cards

WHEN
IS
BANNED
AND
RESTRICTED
ANNOUNCEMENT

You know what card need to be banned? Mutavault.

What a toxic card.
>xd 2/2 out of nowhere xd all creature types here's a bonus xd
Fuck this shit.

Ive heard it all now

What, did you just lose your first game against Merfolk? KYS.

Simic Nissa?

>then

Slivers. Fuck this shit.

Fuck you.

Ahahaha that's even worse you complete and utter shitter. Seriously go play commander or force of will.

Before I make fun of you, I need to know what deck you're playing

G/W Hexproof.

Just Fatal Push or Path that shit.

Slivers has almost no interaction. Bogles relies on trolling interactive decks by becoming immune to targeted removal. I can see that it comes down to matchup.

i know pathing a manland isnt inherently bad but it will never feel good

how did you not win that matchup by just racing them with lifelink on the board?

Well while I do want to make fun of you, I won't since you're at least playing a real deck. I also don't get how you couldn't race with your pumps and lifelink, but a bad game is a bad game. Better luck next time, but honestly mutavault isn't as bad as you think.

Why do people say Affinity requires the most math to pilot? Just Ravager?

Power node 0
legendary
If you control 3 more more artifacts you may tap power node for one mana of any color.

i guess math in the sense that you need to know when to sac and when not to sac to make sure you end the game as soon as possible

B L A C K E D
L
A
C
K

T R O N
R
O
N

with Based Bobby B

thats exactly mox opal

Im going to do mono-blue faeries because I miss sexy tempo.

I havent seen any list run cryptics, any one know why? I think it might be because 4 cmc is just too much.

Also 2 v.cliques? or 3?

>out of nowhere
It was there the whole time, it doesn't have fucking flash; you just can't plan ahead

no it isn't. you can't have two mox opals out but you can have one of those and a mox opal, so it's technically BETTER than mox opal.

Is anything realistically getting banned or unbanned Friday?

Isn't the announcement next Monday?

regardless I'm doubtful of any modern changes, but I'm hoping for any sort of unbanning

It's on Monday and nothing will happen to Modern

Banned
Chalice of the Void OR Eldrazi Temple
Unbanned
Bloodbraid Elf

Why couldn't they just reprint Cavern of Souls?

they did though. its like 35 bux r/n man go get them.

seconding although i'd like to see BBE, Jace, Mystic, Treasure Cruise and all the artifact lands unbanned just to see the shitstorm.

WISH ME LUCK

Boros humans real or just hot air?

Can someone translate some of that?

Is G/W company fun? Thinking about building it.

The are many times you can win by sacing stuff to ravager, mass attack with counters on stuff from overseer, plating a n inkmoth for lethal, saving ravager to buff uninitialized etc. It's not too hard really, just double check your lines if play because sometimes you can win unexpectedly by squeeking through the exact damage you need.

Is Hamgerback walker worth running? Between ravager and overseer it seems worth even as a 2 drop

The most realistic cards I would love to see unbanned is SFM and BBE but I think Wizards still sees them as too strong. BBE might be but SFM is not. I want to see squadron hawks with swords again.

I don't think so. It's a 1/1 for 2 when you play it that doesn't threaten on its own. Sure you can Sac to ravager or buff with overseer but on its own it might be too cute for 2 mana. Memnite and Thopter don't threaten the game on their own either but they cost 0 and get up affinity for explosive 2 mana T1 starts.

I was thinking a 2 of in the board for wrath heavy match ups. It felt real bad to lose to 5 color control because of a turn 4 damnation into a turn 5 damnation when he was on the play

I hear that Hangarback Walker can be good on the play, but not so much on the draw.

99% of cards are bad on the draw.

Ban Cryptic Command please. Wizards, please.

It's sideboard material if your meta is heavy on non-white monoremoval

I've brewed a BU Eldrazi Ingest/process modern deck. It's pretty Solid except my only "top end" cards are two sire of stagnation. While Sire is pretty solid, he doesn't end games.

I'm thinking Ulamog's despoiler would round out the deck by giving me a way to finish off the opponent without being outside my consistent mana curve.

I can post my deck list if anyone would like me to. I'm looking for as much advice as possible.

I want to see it. Processors have interested me, and I want to see if I can salvage my BFZ draft junk.

Yes, because there needs to be more ways for Jund to safely land a stonewalled Lili

This is what I could remember about my deck list off the top of my head. A few of the numbers are a little off (obviously 4 expedition maps would be better) but this should be pretty close.

A few things I remember wanting to change:
>I'd like to put cavern of souls in there so Ulamog's nullifier becomes counter spell in a stick that can't be countered
>there was a counter spell that was like (X)(U) opponent must pay X or spell is exiled. I remember it was from RTR.
>Depending on how it plays out, I might swap back to my earlier build which was more geared towards ramping into Ulamog.

A few other things. This should give you an idea. It's basically mid-range control.

With decks like that, aremt you afraid that people will just hate you out completely? Whenever I consider buying a brew I'm afraid I'll get one good week in and then everyone just fucks me post sideboard forever

Give me some geosurge targets. Might be running mind stones so higher costs than 7 could work out

Ulamog
Stormvreath dragon
That dragon that deals 5 upon casting

Ulamog seems pretty spicy, especially because dropping it usually indicates the game is over

Bogardan Hellkite was the dragon I was looking for. Also Wurmcoil Engine sounds p.gud.

Probably , but create a Combustible Gearhulk ramp deck for the sake of jank. Redhulk has great potential in Standard, but I'm not so sure about modern. Maybe have Chandra?

Actually, what about getting a filter land and Grave T in there as well?

If you want to play counter spells consider delay its hella cheeky

Just got this.

What do? Open or store in the closet for 10 years?

open it. and post pictures of what you got.

how would i go about building a budget merfolk deck?

If I won't get at least a foil Bitterblossom I'll be disappointed.

>playing
Lantern Control, KCI eggs, Coretapper combo. If it plays Glimmervoid, Mox Opal and wins on turn three I like it.

>hating
Tron. All variations.

>brewing
That Coretapper combo deck.

>the banhammer is coming down next Monday, and we will be waiting with bated breath to see what gets hit, so. With that in mind if you could garuntee a certain card to be banned what one will you pick and why?
Urza's tower. It should have never been in modern.

>also what old mechanic would you like to see brought back seeing how the edhbabs got phasing on one of their new cards
World enchantments.

> lol

It can work as long as you don't cut Aether Vials.
All you can save money is in the Caverns, Oboros. Minamos, and other prestige cards like V. Clique, etc.

Well, that's quite the all-in strategy. When I tried UB I was mostly using Mulldrifter for extra Undying targets.

Also how come no Thought-Knot/Smasher? Both seem to be a pretty good fit and you already got the mana base.

I haven't even realized Vials are hitting $50 a card now, holy shit.

>playing
storm, been playing it for years now, pretty happy with where its at
>hating
Inquisition
>brewing
nothing right now
>Ban
idfk deathshadow or something from storm desu, we cant let storm be even kinda good

I know it's a strictly worse Cavern, but does any deck want this? Sliver Company maybe?