Okay, I need ideas. Ideas for lifting up curses

Okay, I need ideas. Ideas for lifting up curses.

The group picked up a sword and an armour from a killed crow knight. The sword dealt necrotic damage and made the user start getting hurt from healing magic and instead getting healed from necrotic damage. Not really good for a cleric. Now I need an idea how to remove the curse and make it a generic, awesome sword.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valravn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lifting up? you mean breaking?

mysterious peddler
legendary blacksmith
eccentric curio collector

The curse needs to be transposed onto something or someone else.
Make up some reason it can't be, like, a chair or whatever.

>Now I need an idea how to remove the curse and make it a generic, awesome sword.

Bad idea, everything comes with a price. the cleric should have to put aside the power the sword represents to avoid the cost that power brings with it.

I would prefer the cost to be included in the lifting procedure. It could be a teeth-grinding experience, it can mean she has to give up something important, it might mean travelling through hell to punch the crow devil.

Removing the curse should be it's own subquest. It shouldn't be something easy to do, but it should be eventually achievable.
Something like cleansing an abandoned temple of his god, to earn enough favor for the god to fix the curse.

What is a crow knight and a crow devil?

Have you mentioned to your group how this curse started? Eliminating the reason of why this sword was cursed might be the task you want to give them, this could also involve a hefty price ( e.g. sacrifice something).

Alternatively, you could just copy the curse lifting methods of the Witcher series.

Sounds like the sword and the clerics life force has become twisted, with life and death out of balance.

To re-align his life energy, the cleric must go to the land of the dead and return. That will balance him out again.

This could be a physical journey, a vision quest, or even just dying and being brought back. Up to them how they want to do it.

Yes, it was actually their fault. They created the cursed and evil to the bone crow knight by putting a dead crow in the place of the heart of a twisted forest spirit they killed. To this day I have no idea what they expected.

I think I'll give them two options: one easy but morally doubtful - killing a sentient being during a full moon with the sword, splattering its blood on the armor and saying an incantation will transfer the curse to it, making it to rise as a striga (if we're talking about the witcher).
The harder way would be travelling to the plane of air and finding the soul of the crow to appease it.
The first would make the blade keep its necrotic damage, the second would make it to switch to radiant damage or something.

>Have you tried turning it off and on again?
I like this, very much.

It always has to be a weapon that the curse inhabits. Rumor has it the curse is actually the essence of an ancient lich who managed to escape the need for a phylactery by making his spiritual essence able to anchor itself to tools of war using a long forgotten evil ritual. It may be possible to solidify the lich's essence bringing it back to the material plane and removing the "curse" from the weapon, but now there is an unfathomably ancient lich pursuing alien goals likely harmful to the entire world.

No no, even better: it *has* to be a chair or something, but a *Specific* chair. Well, in this case, the entire curse needs to be transposed into the anvil of a deceased blacksmith... really any anvil who has been in a family for more than one generation will qualify (THis was grandpa's anvil, now it is mine).So if they do it evily (by killing a smith) the curse takes it's toll before leaving, like imposing a permanent (lesser) debuff. If they do it the honorable way (just using any "old" anvil) then the curse leaves them with a buff. instead.

What about Chair of Dark Arts and Cursing at the local wizard university? That guy's a jerk.

Bipedal man-sized crow with opposable thumbs who is a knight, and the devil version of him.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valravn

Isn't that a sword that heals the wielder if he stabs himself?

Keen observation. One might incorporate that as part of the curse: the wielder has to stab himself in order to keep his existence for the duration of the curse.

Yes. It still hurts as all fucks - and prolonged use has nasty results.

Something about lifting it being possible but not having any way of doing it right now and having to wait until they can find more clues on how to do it.

In the meantime an advice from some old curio salesman or someone about an item that might be able to relief the symptoms but for a price. Another cursed item that is able to suppress the necromantic curse but has a time limit of a few years, requires some price to be paid and gradually worsens the necromantic curse while still hiding its effects and causing backlash if the nullifying item is lost.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valravn
That's fucking awesome.

I have a character in my setting who specializes in dealing with cursed weapons. He doesn't break the curses, but communicates with the sword (If the sword isn't sentient, he has a wizard friend who can make any weapon sentient).

Depending on how the person got it, he can do it for free (if it was an accident) or ask for them to do some insane favor to get another, harder to reach weapon (if it was greed, stolen, or the result of the person's own damn fault).

If he trusts you to keep on the rehabilitation plan for the sword, he will return the weapon back to you at a later point with strict instructions. Yes, he is a magical sword therapist

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valravn
Stat it, anons

I used stats of a drow warrior plus ability to summon crows, teleportation and poison damaged swapped for necrotic

I would say it depends on how it got cursed. for example, if it's cursed because they stole it from a dead person they need to get it a 'right' way.