EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Enforcement" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: How many counterspells do YOU run in blue? What do you use them for? Does it garner hate?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/green-eggs-and-sram-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-08-17-anya/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dralnu looks fun, but I have a feeling I'll just get hated out every game after comboing off once.

Shirei looks like loads of fun. How do you run Jalira?

>Dralnu looks fun, but I have a feeling I'll just get hated out every game after comboing off once.
Dralnu can be pretty insane, but Kess pretty much blows him away outside Paradox Engine

>any year
>not cursing yourself so all your shit untaps if someone swings at you effectively giving all your dudes vigilance and can swing without care because no one can swing back at you

Kess looks interesting. If she drops in price, I might run her as drawgo value.

so what are some good wincons to throw into the wizard precon that stays on theme? and what are some necessary upgrades besides the mana base I should throw in?

Depends on who commands. Inalla wants Wanderwine Prophets and Unblockable Tech, Ashnod's Altar, and Mistbind clique. Mairsil says fuck theme gimme Jank. Kess is spellslinger.

Should I put together:
Queen Marchesa aggro
or
Prossh big dudes and reanimator

So, what's the general playstyle each of the precons has? I'm tempted to pick one up. Also, is there any commander that could work well with Birthing Pod? It's one of my favorite cards, and one of my few remotely valuable cards I haven't sold or traded off.

Guys I fixed Nazahn

Gross. Should have just been Naya colors.

Prossh for Kobolds and big bois

>Wizards
When upgraded, it'll be combo + ETB triggers. As it s, the precon is kind of a mess, without a clear focus.

>Dragons
Play big creatures and attack.

>Vamps
Lots of lords and tokens, like a typical tribal deck, and with a life-gain subtheme.

>Cats
Equipment, but not voltron. Arahbo wants you to go tall, but not with your commander. It seems rather awkward to me.

Ixalan promos leaked, boys.

Best one for the art alone right here.

And the tribal spice that should have been in C17.

Also this is an uncommon what the heckie

Miniature vampire sun titan.

Wizard and Cat seem interesting.

And a mediocre dinosaur that we've seen already.

>only creatures
Into trash it goes

>up to
fucking power creeping niggers

Anyone have a altraxa deck list?

Literally what is even the point of the "up to" clause, it's not like the thing can Kavu itself.

So you dont have to shoot your fucking 6/6 if you play this onto an empty board. God forbid an inferno titan that always does 3 damage to the opponent have a downside for doing 3 damage to a trouble creature.

to be fair i would still consider it to be much worse than inferno titan

actually being a dinosaur makes this a lot cooler and that's the only reason to play inferno titan anyways

What? Inferno Titan gets the triggers when it attacks, this is just extremely mediocre ETB that happens once. Inferno Titan at least gets ETB and attack triggers

It doesnt get the attack trigger because its not a 100% copy but this things a fucking house in standard. Also dinosaur is going to be a better tribe than giants ever could be.

So I'm trying to build an angel 5 colour deck with either Karona, Cromat or Child of Alara as the commander. What are some reccomendations for the deck?, currently thinking 37 land.

Naya? There's literally nothing green about Nazahn.
>equipment tutor
>combat trick
So much green

Green gets every mechanic, cry harder fag.

Lmao enjoy your broken game nigger

I dont enjoy it, but I accept it as truth.

So it's a strictly worse Cavern of Souls.

Yet I'd probably take it over Ancient Ziggurat.

Cavern is a high bar.

>a fucking house in standard
No one cares

On the EDH thread? Budgetfags. Standard drives prices.

Godo has the same ability without the specific equipment clause, plus Red has equipment fuckery too.

Hell, if anything there's no Green in Nazahn.

>budgetfags
Fucking no. Only reason to play that garbage over Inferno titan is if you play the new dinosaur legend that comes out in Ixalan. Inferno titan is like 3$ max

How do I make pic related work?
On paper she seems quite good for a beater, only problem is >Boros.
Heartless Hidetsugu, Mind's Eye, Blood Moon effects, and mana rocks come to mind.
I'm not including bad angels for tribal, gaylords .
Since she [should] be ID a lot of the time I feel like a more controlling way of sitting back and denying big plays would be good as she should be quite sufficient on her own for closing out a game.

Prosh dragons

It's also an uncommon so it should't be as good. It's a solid land and will see play in any tribal deck in at least EDH and standard.

Well, I feel like she should be played like a standard Boros package, so Armageddon and Ruination are a must, Faith's reward is nice, but you're also going to need other damaging things. Ankh of Mishra and Zo-Zu the punisher work wonders, Winter Orb helps somewhat and I would also include Kill switch. Damage doublers are extremely nice, especially Dictate of Twin Gods and one MvP is Proce of Progress, but that's meta dependant and needs somewhat specific decks against it. You also should include hastegivers and maybe stuff along the lines of Imposing Sovereign. Urabrask, Mass Hysteria, Fervor and maybe Hammer of Purphoros. Removal is a definite must, so StoP, Wear//Tear, Pillage, RtD and such are good to have. I would also include Boros Charm and the latest Boros meme that is Sunforger

>Hell, if anything there's no Green in Nazahn.
Which is what I said.

Please give feedback on my 5c Eggs deck
It's meant for 1v1 but not crazy competitive, so very little control and removal is intentional

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/green-eggs-and-sram-3/

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm dumb, sorry. I completely misunderstood what you said, then angrily agreed with you while trying to argue with you.

My bad, I apologize.

She's the bottom of the barrel of WotC's made-for-commander abortions. Most of the time she's a strictly worse Serra Angel. There isn't a good, consistent way to make her work. If you want Hidetsugu and Pyrohemia.dec, you go with Gisela, if you want to be on the defensive with an indestructible guy (that also synergizes with Pyrohemia), you go with Tajic.

>It's also an uncommon so it should't be as good
Kys Maro pls

What about some Storm finishers instead of the Fireball stuff? Mind's Desire, Tendrils, Empty the Warrens?

I want to play bigredsorceries.dec with Thieves' Auction, Insurrection, Mizzix's Mastery and similar silly stuff. Who should I run as commander? I thought RGx would be a good color combo for this since I can ramp the spells out faster.

that might be alright except that the deck doesn't really cast a ton of spells until it goes off, and once it goes off it already has a good number of wincons

banefire and fireball are good before you combo as well

I might go for minds desire though because card advantage, thanks for the advice

>didn't hear what you wanted the first time so you posted it again
I cannot Stifle my disappointment in you.

can you build pic related as some sort of stax or control deck ?

Thread question:
I hate using counter spells so it's keeping me from making any blue decks

You can do it, but there will be better Bant commanders for your purposes

>playing gitrog
>cast ulvenwald hydra
>new player asks what it does so I explain
>after I grab the land dakmor salvage they ask what that land does and again explain
>retard friend spurts out that it also lets me go infinite with the right cards
>new guy is like oh ok I'll cast counterspell on ulvenwald hydra to stop it
>explain it was too late since I already grabbed the land and there was no response to it the first time
>whole table turns against me accusing me of trying to take advantage of playing with noobs

Guess I'm going to start playing online yet again

Thread Topic
>How many counterspells do YOU run in blue?
I don't play mono blue but in Ux decks it depends for the commander but typicak amount is 3-5.
>What do you use them for?
To counter things?
>Does it garner hate?
Depends on the meta I've had people get salty with isochron sceptre + disdainful stroke and others where its fine

>blue is all about countering spells
>I don't like denying my opponent his win cards unless I kill it fairly in combat because he deserves to have the thing that he worked so hard tapping 8 lands for
You need to get Zur'd a few times so you understand.

>trying to take advantage of small children and the mentally retarded
>taking your ball and going home when called out on it
dude

>getting upset that a person is doing their duty to wrangle tards and other undesirables

>Thread Question
Currently brewing Roon, so enough so it can be useful in a pinch but I wouldn't consider the deck to be "control". I generally ignored pillowfort-y cards like Propaganda or Ghostly Prison because I want to lay low and survive the early game via tempo plays and politics and go long enough so I can win the value game with flickers.

>Thread question
Well I always at least run Counterspell and Swan Song. Maybe even Disallow, but I don't like spending the $9 every time I make a new Blue deck.
I have a Baral deck I want to take apart that's counter tribal.

Should I pick up a pre-con? I kind of want to build Inalla but when I tried, the deck seemed kind of shitty.

I'm no fan of groups that dismiss players who go infinite either, I'm also not a fan of people trying to retrace plays despite it being perfectly legal just because they were blind to something.
However, your attitude needs a bit more work, too. I doubt the conflict would've escalated so unless you handled explaining the order of events properly or maybe you were a bit fast on grabbing the land, we all see what we want to see.

Unless you dish out a lot of dosh, Inala is going to be 50% filler/jank/draw and 50% degeneracy.
Edgar will have a shit load of tokens, counters and abilities going onto the stack which might get a bit exhausting after a while.
Ur-dragon is simple, but takes a bit of tinkering and money if you want it to be good.
Cats are good to go straight out-of-the-box, maybe substitute 5 or so cards and a few lands and it might even be considered semi-competitive.

>>banefire and fireball are good before you combo as well
As good as tendrils which gives you life, or free chump blockers?

>Turn 1 do nothing, discard Jin Gitaxias
>Turn 2 swamp into reanimate
>Whole table rages and scoops

Is there a more "That Guy" play?

>I doubt the conflict would've escalated so unless you handled explaining the order of events properly or maybe you were a bit fast on grabbing the land, we all see what we want to see.
Classic dipshit denial, ignore all the facts so you can feel mighty

nice

>turn 1, fat sperg across the table does nothing and discards a Jin
>I drop a plains and Relic of Progenitus
>he mumbles and whines while giving me a glare
>spends the rest of the game mindless throwing shit at me, making us both lose

No. There isn't.

T1 Sunscorched Desert

Savage

>new player asking what cards do
>resolve triggers without asking for responses
>get butthurt when newbie stops your combo

no user, you have the autism

Not really a that guy move, but the fastest we ever hated a play out of the game:

>six player game
>t1 everyone plays land, go
>last player goes fetch, shock, sol ring, signet, signet

And I guess how I won that game also counts:
>mono B control keeps everyone in check while slowly building lethal on board
>topdeck Changellor of the Forge with Purphoros out, wiping the entire table.
>next game t3 Purph

>fetch
>shock
>sol ring
>signet
>signet?
Did he cheat or what? Not enough mana to cast the second signet.

6 or even 8 life from tendrils isnt that big a deal it may slot better than zuran orb since I have a ton of land sac outlets

sliver queen makes chumps like a champ and you'd be surprised at how well things like origin, lifespark, pyrite, and sunbeam spellbomb change the field with decent recursion

Warrens, I think, definitely doesnt fit.
Ill try Mind's and Tendrils though, thanks

Simian spirit guide.

still not enough, though?

Sorry, I screwed that up.
It was Signet -> Simian -> Signet.

nvm im an idiot

Yyyyyyes it is?

Exile Guide to cast Ring. Tap Ring to cast Signet. Tap land, filter through Signet, cast second signet.

Use simian mana to active the first signet to play the second.

t. bryan

Unironically had a "pro" playing OG Teysa scoop to doomwake giant

>scooping to Doomwake Giant
Why? How?

I could only see that in a weird Abzan Enchantress deck with a bunch of enchantment token generators/flickers that would make the giant waste the board every turn.

>WB scooping to a permanent
How?

1 mana less, for two very useful creature types. Yeah i'll take the cap of critters only for that tradeoff

Shadowborn Apostles + thrumming stone + mirror entity was/still is his wincon. He scooped after his first 4 initial shadowborns were killed upon doomwake ETB

Any spicy Krenko tech?

I keep having the issue of people blasting Krenko off the board as soon as I can cast him. I'm hoping to turn the deck to less focus on him and more focus on Goblin tokens, mass ETBs and Death triggers.

So he built his deck to fold to any interaction? Why do people do this? I can't even think of building a deck without tons of answers and recursion.

EDHrec has all the spicy tech for Krenko since he's pretty much a solved deck.

I guessed as much. He was just my first commander so I wanted to give him a bit of loving. I'll probably just pick up that Eldrazi Monument I've been forgetting to grab and then call it a day.

so dont cast him until you have some answers of your own

mass hysteria or need for speed lets you at least get one tap off of him

greaves/boots are nice

mass indestructible like Eldrazi Monument or buffs like akroma's memorial

get creative

if you're in a smart table, krenko will get btfo every time as soon as he comes out. krenko is a more or less an all-in deck, so there's not much you can do about it.

if you want to play a goblin tribal that doesnt fold to a single board wipe, consider playing Wort, Raidmother or RB Grenzo. mono-red version of grenzo also folds to a single board wipe, but is less threatening to other players so it's more like you'll actually get to play with him

it also makes no effect when enters the battlefield.

>new player asks what it does so I explain
The bad explanation (and how I'm assuming you explained it):
>it's a creature as big as the amount of lands I have and when it enters it lets me fetch any land from my library to play tapped
The good explanation:
>it's a fat creature but the relevant part is that I can fetch any land from my library when it enters, and this is a land-based deck which means I have some important and powerful stuff to fetch
>[if you have cabal+urborg] for instance, I could fetch lands that gives me a fuckton of mana
>[if you have discard outlet infinites] also, some lands let me go infinite with the right combo pieces, of which I have X on board right now

Tell people why you are doing stuff, not just that you're doing stuff. Otherwise you'll have to wade through months to years of salt while people learn the hard way. It also makes your successful plays more satisfying and gives you a good excuse when you pull them off and people try bitching at you.

That's my take on her, feel free to steal my experimental decklist
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-08-17-anya/

This is true. He did give the scrub the chance to counter but the group is better off if no one tries to "gotcha" their way into an instant win.

I've been in the situation before and it makes the victory very unsatisfying when an opponent doesn't even understand what happened. You might as well be honest with them because you're playing this multiplayer game for fun even if the rules don't require sharing that kind of information.

Derevi.

My god, it's beautiful

wait...
what the fuck

how does RnD miss this shit

You need to understand the distinction between "I'm making my big move. I'll do X and Y and now is the time for your responses" and "The focus of my deck is to do X. The most important cards are Y and Z, one of which I'm playing right now and I'm pretty you can counter it with that spell you drew last turn. Otherwise this will happen...". There is no time like this first to pull off ridiculous shit and spoiling it all by extensively revealing your plans really makes you think why you bothered to build the deck in the first place. Unless it's some no-wincon grouphug shit

How is portcullis in edh?

>Thread Question
9 in Oloro.

Mostly to stop combo, but sometimes to stop a Planeswalker if I don't have any other answers in hand or a decent way to swing at it, since my usual group has the *worst* threat assessment.

I draw hate for the deck in general, despite
>No infinite combos
>No tutors
>No stax
But yeah, at least part of it is the counterspells.

Unless everyone at the table hates you, it's much better to give it to someone else, and have people attack that guy instead.

he gets to untap all his shit as well retard