"Why aren't there more cards with Phasing?" Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-release-notes-2017-08-11
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm just making these up on the fly, desu

bump

It can't untap.

I hate to be that guy, but I don't think permanents phasing in our out can trigger abilities. I made a few cards with phasing a while back and fell on the same dilemma of how to get them to work. I think I settled on "During your upkeep" as a catch-all for once-per-flicker effects, since it will only trigger on turns where the permanent is phased in. That said, this card seems pretty bonkers for three mana.
Needs reworking, since it will either be phased or phasing out on any given turn, and timing prevents it from untapping. Remove the phasing keyword, and give it "During your end step, ~ phases out. It may also be good to tack on the clause "Use only during an opponent's end step" to the phase-in part to remind players of when to use it. Alternatively, just give it vigilance.
Busted. Definitely either double the cost, nerf the damage, or restrict where it goes. See Curse of the Pierced Heart for a contemporary. I recommend "At the beginning of your combat step, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player." This allows use on the turn it's played and doesn't rely on phasing.

I wish I had my own phasing cycle to post here since I was quite proud of them. One was a goblin: RR for 2/2 with haste, phasing, and "During your upkeep, you may pay R. If you do, ~ deals two damage to target creature or player." Each other one had a similar color-aligned ability and a one-cost spell-like ability like Healing Salve. The other phasing cards I had included lands that phased, came in tapped, but tapped for 1 and one colored mana, and an artifact that removed phasing, fading, vanishing, and echo from all permanents.

Phasing feels like an interesting design space to work with, especially since it got changed to be more straightforward, but it can be tricky to balance cards around.

These, for example, are pretty cheap in mana for what they do. An opponent randomly discarding a card or taking 3 damage every other turn for only a few mana investment? Stapled to something that's only on the board half the time anyway?

I think the most straightforward uses of Phasing are as an extended Flicker effect granted temporarily with an instant, or as a downside on an aggressively costed creature.

While the thought of making a more in-depth attempt at Phasing for a set is appealing, I think there are a lot of rule pitfalls like brings up that aren't immediately obvious.

So, um, I did this. It's the first card I ever design but critique it relentlessly as I'm interested in custom card design and I want to improve. I wanted to make a creature based Temur commander that could generate some value. The art is from some card game, I just google "shaman fantasy art" and felt that was cool.

Perhaps give it some evasion or make it easier to hit that first ability, like "when ~ attacks". I like the idea, and the cost/stats seem fair. I'd play it.

Solid idea. I like the idea of a replacement effect to turn face down cards face up. Right now, the card really screams UG to me with Manifesting via combat damage, and then getting big creatures out for a relatively small amount of mana.

I would say that it isn't very Red, and like said it could probably be made harder to block. I would say to give it Menace in that case, as Trample might make it a bit too easy to trigger, but it's up to you. Adjusting the P/T might also help it feel more Red.

As it stands though, quite a nice card.

>I hate to be that guy, but I don't think permanents phasing in our out can trigger abilities.

Yes it can. Look up Teferi's Imp, which literally does that.

That is way too strong though. A Volcanic Hammer that recasts itself for free every second turn? Nuts.

I like this one the best out of these, and it looks actually quite balanced (I'm working from the assumption that Hypnotic Specter is fair).

Good points. I'll take them to heart. Phasing cards always seem so hard to balance. At least it got the thread active.

>Implying QWOP is that easy
Drop the converted, just make it Mana Cost

Just this and the blue one left, though not sure how well this one will work. I've made alterations to the other ones, though.

Elusive Wumpus is now 1WG, has vigilance as well, and the sacrifice effect is catch all for any land.
Penumbra Spirit has been changed to "Whenever ~ phases in" to make sure the discard payoff isn't as immediate.
Flickering thunder costs 1 more now, and damage reduced to 2, and targets only creatures.

And finally, this.
I just realized that I need to make Knight of the Sun untap if it wants to attack again, so I added that it untaps when it phases in. A little wordy, but it works, I think.

I don't see why this is R, but otherwise nice balance.

I like this idea, though I think it would work more cleanly as an ETB effect. Have it enter, create the Moon Knight token, but give the moon knight token phasing and then immediately phase it out.

Since Tokens can phase out now, that would let the two cycle between eachother perfectly.

Oh, shit, that's genius. Thank you

So i think i'm now satisfied with this card's design, but I'd love help with the wording. It's a bit clunky at the moment but I'm fairly certain it works as intended.

what is it with Genzoman and that hand pose? he uses it so fucking much.

Since it's just an ability word, I think you'd be better off just defining the colors on a card by card basis.
>If nonblue mana was spent to cast ~ then do XYZ

because Genzoman is a hack

You could just say 'gains indestructable'

I feel like this would be a hell of a political card in EDH, espeically in games with more than 4 players.

Had an idea for a time wizard battling his evil self from a parallel timeline, thought up some time-themed spells they would use. I think Between the Moments works like I want it to.

Also how did the font fuck up like this, and how do I fix it?

I'm annoyed because I can't get this card to work with my set's keyword and still have it target other people. Unless I let the keyword hit other people's libraries and that seems.. suspect.

I'll add my best phasing card to this thread, I guess

I dodnt like phasing. Only aspect I like is that its much shorter to write out than flickering. Imagine the art of this card is Teferi realizing he erased zhalfir from existence.
I feel like it might help to know what the keyword is. Also wondering why this is in white? Not against it if you can justify it but im not sure of any flavor mechanical reason it would be white. I figure there must be a reason.

Forgot it

That seems really low cost for its effect, mainly due to the fact that if your opponent has a bunch of stuff with phasing that's phased in, then you'd play this on their turn and they'd have to have instant-speed enchantment removal or otherwise you just wiped most of their board. Plus the 3U activation on it essentially means that it's a cheap, repeatable kill spell.

I think something like it could work, but it needs more limits

>"Why aren't there more cards with Phasing?" Edition

Let's make it weird.

Powerhouse whaa.

>Since Tokens can phase out now

Wait, what?! They changed that?

>As of Commander 2017, tokens which phase out phase back in the same as nontoken permanents, instead of ceasing to exist as a state-based action.

FUCK

That means Sapphire Charm no longer works as secret tech against Batterskull. Fucking ass.

I mean, it's more consistent than it used to be since phasing isn't really leaving play anymore, but it removes like the one remaining use for phasing cards that existed.

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-release-notes-2017-08-11
>If a token is phased out, it will phase in as your next untap step begins. This is a change from previous rules.

I like how a major change like that is one line buried in the back of the long-ass release notes.

Tried to make a 4-color commander.

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Yeah, it does mean Phasing is less of an amazing counter to token based strategies, but it also leaves more design room, since it isn't just another form of bounce on them.

It means you could potentially make a really cheap token generation spell by giving the tokens phasing to make them on the board less.

Currently working on my own Commander set.

Allied colors with the gimmick being non-creature non-planeswalker Commanders.

I think the only thing that helps this from being too overbearing is the fact that it costs 5. Even then, getting it out early enough could really dominate a matchup, since you'd get repeated searches to remove problem cards. In a multiplayer game though, that might be fine, and in some ways I think it does make Mill a more viable option for commander.

This does seem kind of plain, even if it is a strong card. 8/8 for 7 total, keywords relevant to 3 of the 4 colors, and then a card draw effect more relevant in Black.

The problem is that it's simply not a very interesting card. It's going to get played, swing in and deal most of its damage, and then let you draw the rest of your deck easily if you have any sort of token generation.

If anything I feel like it's too powerful due to how much you gave it, but it's also hard to get excited about.

Not sure which of these setups I like more. Having it enter cheap and pay to sacrifice feels straightforward, but I think this version where its more expensive and the token is created from any destruction feels better in some regards, though it has less counterplay potential.

I do have other cards that want to sacrifice artifacts themselves though, so I think the synergy on the second is worth it?

Oh god but how does it interact with other cards with phasing

Oh god this is why they got rid of it

Seems pushed but I mean Glissa the traitor exists so

Hahaha, as if this card would be fine.
>consuming aberation triggers
>Excuse me as I will take half an hour to resolve a single trigger

I'm unsure if it would resolve like that, since you're specifically putting the revealed cards into the graveyard, and during the resolution of the spell the order of cards in the library doesn't change.

>701.14b Revealing a card doesn’t cause it to leave the zone it’s in.
Furthermore, it's about the time it will take to mill give or take 20 specific cards when somebody plays a mill card that says each opponent.

Hmm, yeah you raise a good point. I think something like repeatable Fateseal would work better for trying to get that kind of Mill synergy going, but even that would still be rather time consuming.

I like this one more, it feels more coherent.

Cool design but I actually think this is legit broken and I'm not one to scream about imbalance since I like strong cards.

I also like the idea, but I see how it could get out of hand in some regards. Might be helped if the card itself had a larger body and a higher cost to compensate.

It is 3 cards for each morph creature you put face down, but granting Delve to anything is tricky business.

I mean I could be overestimating the ease in which you get cards in the grave. I think I did have a gut reaction.

Well, I think part of the limiter there is that you would need to either be using spells to self-mill, or have something like Hedron crab that can do so in a repeated and reliable way.

On top of that, you would still have to draw the Morph cards themselves, and even then all this does is allow you to put them face-down for cheaper. It would still cost mana to flip them up.

At the most though, it'd allow you to play a lot of bears for 0 mana. assuming you could draw enough morph creatures and fill your graveyard fast enough. That's good, but how good is the question.

I still do say that 2 cmc is too cheap for the card though. That's the price you get for 1 mana price reductions on card types or specific tribes. Being a variable cost reduction makes it stronger, so the card itself should likely be more expensive to compensate.

Seems decent enough. Toughness boost alongside a pump when it blocks. The draconic naming is a bit odd, though I suppose it fits with the firebreathing effect. I feel like you might need to adjust the costs, but that's mostly from a quick search of shield equipment

Unsure on the costing on this, as First strike makes the tokens quite a bit more dangerous.

It's alright. You could get away with 4W.

You need to redefine X in the second ability.

Disappointed that I just remade Cloak of Invisibility, right down to the naming convention.

I love it. Make it a common instead, though, because otherwise it'd just be considered a trash rare.

Noncreature artifacts don't "die", they just leave the battlefield. "Dying" is unique to creatures.

Found my old phasing creature cycle

Buuuump

Pretty strong. I'm not sure if Phasing is as big of a downside on something with haste though.

Functionally, this card is almost a carbon copy of glorybringer, so I see no real problem with the haste.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't work, more just that phasing feels more minor as a downside on it because of haste.

This would be pretty neat in a Simic deck. I like the idea of constantly conveying things. Evolve always seemed like a fun keyword, but it doesn't get played around with much.

This is literally a mono black mechanic. Why is this white?

Trying to come up with a Selesnya commander. Is this too efficient?

Wizards prefers giving lords the system of:
"*keywords it has*
"Other *things* you control have *keyword*"

Based on a quick search, the Vigilance portion seems fine, as Anthems for that seem yo be rather common without even affecting the cost of the creature much.

Lifelink would be my major concern here, as that could get very overwhelming very quickly. I would say Trample and Vigilance would be a much safer combo and could be at that cost just fine. If you really want lifelink though, I think it may need to 4 or 5 mana.

I'm considering making it a 3/3, GGWW, same effect. Is that more balanced?

I think that would work actually. The 1 extra power isn't too big of an increase, and the stricter color requirements and higher cm should prevent the lifelink from being quite as drastic.

Wording on the cost doesn't work as you seem to intend. You move it from your hand to the stack as the first part of casting it. Determining costs is done well after. Feel free to correct me if that was your intention, but it needs reminder text either way.

Chefhand is 10/10 just for the art, but also because it's a solid design. Mirror is insanely overcosted for such a narrow effect. Bring it down to 1 mana or so.

Feels a bit odd to have a giant Wurm with trample in Red. I do like the take on phasing here, since it'll take a couple turns before it can really swing, and once it does, it has the added downside of getting rid of most of your other creatures.

I do think it might be a better fit in Green, if only because Red doesn't really want to be using turn 4 to play something that'll only matter two turns later. Plus, Green has more Wurms, so the tribal potential is stronger there. Still, I think it can work in Red.

I'm working on other potential Red commons with Devour for my set. Finding it tricky to strike a balance between being useful while still not being too overwhelming even if somebody has it eat their entire board.

Make it a hellion?

I dislike flying in red, especially below rare. Devour + evasion at common seems like a recipe for disaster. Prowess is also non-synergistic unless you have a fuckton of spells that make tokens.

That's a good point about flying. And while I do have quite a few token spells, I don't think even that works out very well, as you'd be casting those for the devour beforehand, and they might not be as helpful after.

Back to the drawing board I suppose.

I really like the idea. I'd make it cost 1UBR and exile them face down, with the clause "You may look at and cast face-down cards exiled by Pilfer"

Interesting. It is basically a sacrifice effect, but more variable, and not quite as permanent. I think it might be a bit inexpensive for that reason, especially since the effect is delayed until next turn, but I think it works.

Oh shit this would be great in the new un-set.

>tap out all your shit
>play this
>untap
>proceed to playing the counter game
Not busted but definetly annoying.

I get hard for simple cards like this.

Why is that exactly? Has there ever been a statement on it?

My guess? It makes it easier to read. Apparently.

Compare pic related to the original.

O-Ring variant with Phasing.

>When ~ enters the battlefield, target nonland permanent an opponent cntrols phases out. It can't phase in for as long as ~ remains on the battlefield.

This card seems like it would break the game, but I can't find any cases that aren't solved with common sense.
Forcing a phase-out just means it never comes back in, Afterlife just destroys it without creating a token. Ignoring the powerlevel of the card, how broken is the "Unbound" mechanic?