What would be some good effects for an eclipse to cause in a fantasy setting?

what would be some good effects for an eclipse to cause in a fantasy setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KmtttE3u1g0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A softening of planar boundaries.

Undead
Magic Fails
Old God Awakens
Toast lands butter side up

They all die. The end.

The day of black sun

Inverse werewolves

fuck off flyover land. We all know the eclipse was the only reason anyone even remembered you exist for the briefest moment, don't cram it down people's throats.

Why so bitter? Surely if city life is so grand you shouldn't even care enough about the flyovers to be so upset

>coastal SC
>flyover land

you do realize the the umbra went from one coast to the other, right?

You're just jelly that the moon goddess did not deem you worthy of her gaze.

berserk

So, the umbra can lower temperatures as much as 10 degrees, would this mean that it could cause a sudden fog to occur if there was a high humidity to begin with?

Apply some of the real life weirdness that happens
- flickering flames around the black sun, shadows acting strangely, colours being washed out and make it full on horror.

Alternatively, have it basically be a time when the rules of reality don't apply quite as rigidly, boundaries become blurred, and upheavals can occur.

The Tyrant Star from Dark Heresy is a good use of eclipse imagery.

It sparked a severe thunderstorm in Kansas City, so yes.

GRRRIIIIFFFIIITTTHHH

Sacrificing all your friends and loyal troops.

New star is born after sun and moon do the nasty

BBEG decides NEVER AGAIN and then starts a plot to blow up the moon.

blindness

Regular people go blind, those with magical affinities go magically blind. Detect magic or any variant is completely lost.

Social hysteria

You sound really butthurt.

-1 Stability no matter what you do

The barriers of the warp, or other dimensions or whatever thin
Criminals that should have been executed that afternoon are set free because wtf there was an eclipse when we tried to hang him
animals become crazed
the apothecary is inundated with peasants that burned their eyes out

androgynous guys becoming satans

The shadows of deceitful people try to strangle them.
The blind can see for a brief time.
Crows speak as men.
Candles grow rapidly in twisted shapes.
Flowers wilt into skulls that chatter the woes of the recent dead.
Compasses spin round with no aim.
Chicken eggs hatch as lizards.
Everyone with a secret is compelled to find one other person to tell.
Faces and other imagery on stolen coinage become knowingly smug.

this

That's right, flyover land is lame and you should never consider coming here, at all, under any circumstances, forever.

>the apothecary is inundated with peasants that burned their eyes out
Sensible chuckle

It spooks two warring empires into signing a truce

how did I save Herodotus as Cyaxares?

pendulums swing a little faster

A general ascendancy of evil. Around an eclipse, monsters become stronger and more aggressive, people become less kind and more prone to cruelty and wrath, the wicked have an uncanny run of success.

This is because an eclipse occurs when the sun goddess (whose portfolio also includes caring, kindness, and all around good) is overcome for a time by her shadow self, a cruel and sadistic goddess formed from the dark impulses the sun goddess overcame and cut off from herself at the dawn of time.

These guys now what's up.

Eclipse went coast to coast, friend.

>Renewal of a dead pantheon's Sun deity as a twisted and bitter version of his former self.

Nothing actually *happens,* but everyone in the path of the eclipse experiences a brief, intense vision of a horrific creature offering power in exchange for completing certain specific tasks.

It gave me the confidence to confess my feelings to a friend of mine. Now all my friends are joking that I used Pagan magic to get a gf.

Stealth bragging, but good for you user

>everyone's dog turns human for a moment
>furries everywhere rejoice at seeing their pets in the bodies of sexy but animalistic waifus

Random people develop superpowers. And then someone starts killing them. As things get more complicated they get worse until we welcome the end.

youtube.com/watch?v=KmtttE3u1g0

It opens a portal to another dimension through which spooky shit leaks into the world or it is a temporary opening of the sky-dome through which you can either escape earth or enter heaven.

After the black sun: hope brought on by weakening its hold on the world.

Bitter, coast-fag? It is okay. Our glorious flatlands and ample land to do illicit things away from the eyes of the police are something to be envied.

user your new name is MANon.

>tfw when you bought a 2600sqft house on 20 acres in the middle of nowhere for $220K

I have my own woods, fields, a creek, and a stretch of lakeshore. It's fucking fantastic. Wife even got a proper greenhouse like she wanted.

man that sounds like the life, how's the internet/water access?

start of the *demonic emperor rising* apocalypse, a pretty good way to start an adventure

first the undead rising from the graves
then the mutation of wild creatures
then the plague
then the magekiller plague
then the floods

kill the demon princes to reclaim kingdoms from the demon emperor

>The shadows of deceitful people try to strangle them.
>The blind can see for a brief time.
>Crows speak as men.
>Candles grow rapidly in twisted shapes.
>Flowers wilt into skulls that chatter the woes of the recent dead.
>Compasses spin round with no aim.
>Chicken eggs hatch as lizards.
>Everyone with a secret is compelled to find one other person to tell.
>Faces and other imagery on stolen coinage become knowingly smug.

I like all this.

Its not what the eclipse brings that you should fear but what it allows others to do.

bump

Things that depend on the sun act up.
I love the relationship between firebending, waterbending and the celestial objects.
>water gets more powerful as the moon waxes, full power at full moon, less powerful as it wanes, least powerful at new moon, generally more powerful at night
>fire gets more powerful as the sun rises, full power at high noon, less powerful as it sets, least powerful at midnight and generally more powerful during the day
>during eclipses, the respective elements are completely and utterly powerless
>also every 100 years a comet passes through earth's atmosphere and ignites, giving firebenders the kind of power boost to let one guy level a city on his own