King Arthur Pendragon

Has anyone else ever given this game a shot? It's a great deal of fun playing as knights in the setting that it presents, and it's completely acceptable to create your own stories along the way rather than just sticking hard to the books full force.

Any good stories to tell?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/nocturnalmedia/paladin-warriors-of-charlemagne/description
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

It's a very good game, but only if you have the right group and are willing to lean on its unique features, like hereditary succession and castle/baronial management

For heraldry nerds: wappenwiki.org

Anybody know any good software for designing coats of arms? not looking for anything with like a billion shitty clipart charges, just something that actually has the basics down easily (chevrons, crosses, lozenges, various partings of the field, basic heraldic furs like ermine and vair, etc.). I've googled and everything I find is either way overpriced, so old I doubt it would run on W10, or both. And they all look like shit.

I think there are less people who played a pendragon campaign than holocaust survivors alive.

You just sparked my interest. Mind telling me more while I look for a totally legitimate download?

Sure. Characters are built around chivalric virtues. Combat can/does happen, but it might be, for example, in the form of a tournament. If your DM is going it right, you might go a session with only courtly intrigue or a test of your faith as the central action. It's very reflective of the chansons de geste, so your interest will probably rely on whether you care about that stuff or not. If you liked the movie Excalibur, you're halfway there. If you're familiar with Chretien de Troyes, you'll be well-equipped. If you've read Bevis of Hampton in the original Middle English, I need you to be my DM. Free Thursday?

I rate it as the best game I've ever ran, or the best of 11 systems. We took a break in the Great Pendragon campaign after playing from 485 to 511 (from the Uther Era, through the Anarchy to the appearance of Arthur) with 3 out of 4 players loving it but we wanted to switch to something sci-fi for a while.

Among what I enjoy most of the system is how it isn't day to day adventure, your lord may call you out on campaigns that last a few months but this still the rest of the year for seeking a strong political marriage, intrigue, managing your estate, raiding and defending from the Saxons.
This makes the character progression so enjoyable both in narrative and mechanics. What does your knight pursue when not attending the will of his lord?
Making up answers to why members of your family disappear (blame the Saxons or witchcraft).
During the Winter phase when even the power gamer for once build to character rather than straight for optimization.
Pendragon makes the most interesting characters in my experience even if the players may not enjoy the system.

The one player that didn't adore Pendragon didn't mostly because he wanted to play more of a field commander role or the game Warband even in the important battles that the players don't have huge impact on. In addition he isn't very big on scripted outcomes even when the players can nudge it a bit or following a campaign book. Probably would whine our ear offs if the Anarchy period hadn't come along, which despite the circumstances everyone enjoyed playing in. The knights had been shaped during Uther's reign and now they had to use that experience to keep Salisbury together.

The default campaign takes place over the course of three generations, one in each phase of Camelot's life cycle, so as your current character ages you need to make sure he has an heir and a spare.

Been wanting to give it a shot since I found a near pristine copy of the 4th edition book for just £15, however my current group is definitely geared towards comedy so im sitting on it for now.

I ran the entire great campaign over the course of a year and a half, must have been around seventy sessions.

It was the best game I ever ran. My group is seven strong so we have some large variance in taste and playing style. But this game pleased everybody. Tears were shed at least twice because of things that happened in the game. My greatest fear as a GM is that I will never be able to surpass the Great Pendragon Campaign, my players all agree it was the best game they have ever played.

So yes I have A LOT of stories to tell, and I'll post pictures of the art one of my players made if you goons are interested.

You would be correct, there are not a lot of us.

I would be REALLY interested...

The Great Pendragon Campaign always seems like such a great concept that unfortunately was way ahead of its time...

And i really like the epic scale.

Fewer than zero?

How is estate management managed?

Show the art and tell the stories

I am looking for players for a Mythic Britain game (Arthurian dark ages, not sure what system) and it is damn near impossible. You need people with a mix of historical interest, camelot name recognition, and willingness to try not-dnd. So much so I'm thinking of running it in 5e somehow. If anyone is interested Tuesday evenings GMT 0, in pendragon or runequest.

I've played pendragon before, and I liked it - I my lord befriended child mordred in a vain attempt to alter his fate, fought the saxons in uthers name, managed a growing family and estate, farmed, all that good stuff.

I think it would be prudent to start with the families. There were about ten clans, not all of which are pictured in this image, but I will be going from top right across.

>The Crescentius Family:
The Crescentius knights joined the story about ten years in, but they play a major role in the events I'm about to share (The Crescentius player is also very smart, very contrarian, and did all the art you will be seeing). The Crescentius were a family of old Roman patricians that ruled the trading city of exeter. They were quite rich and powerful, having a large hand in the tin mining industry. When King Uther died, the Countess of Salisbury hired many mercenaries to supplement her usual forces, one of which was the proud and dour Linus Cresentius. Although the Cresentius were never the richest, or the most powerful, they accomplished some feats of true heroism! The Cresentius arms were a blue and white per fess with four stars and bear rampant.

>Dengezitch
Not a family, but rather a single man. Dengezitch was sent by King Etzel of the Huns as an envoy to King Arthur's kingdom. Dengezitch may have gotten his knighthood eventually (and had it revoked) but he was a hun through and through. He always rode his steppe pony instead of the larger chargers, and preferred the bow to the sword. He was brutally honest, and incredibly devoted to the hunic god Tengri. Despite his rough edges he was incredibly popular at court, and spent a good deal of his life fighting in Ireland. Dengezitches arms were a mess.

>The Ap Aelfsiges
Named for their lines first great patriarch. The Ap Aelfsige family were tough bastards! They were stubborn pagans in an era where most were converting to Christianity, They were known to cavort with faeries although this affinity waned in the lines later members. If there is one thing the Aelfsige's were known for it was their skill with the blade. The single best swordsman in all of Britain hailed from this illustrious family,

You are the hero we don't deserve. Please continue good sir

Cont. Their arms were a blue and gold per fess, with a falcon over crossed swords (This families player always wished to be the best at slaying his foes, and is my oldest friend)

>The Trebatus family
Ah yes! A real family of heroes here. The Trebatus family were likely the richest and most powerful by the end of the campaign, and not without good reason! The men of this family were stalwart fighters, incredibly brave adventurers, and always tried to fight for justice and what was right, even if different members disagreed on what exactly was "just" and "right". Although not Roman themselves, they had a great affinity for Roman culture and were descended from a Roman general. The symbol you see on the crest is a armored arm, flexing with a gold armband, a great family relic. (This families player was my brother)

>The Ap Owains
The Ap Owains were quite and less bombastic bunch than their fellows. They never grew great in wealth or power, but were famous none the less. Their line had intimate connections with the faeries of the Other Side, one knight, Sir Foxglove, was a half-elf. The family were always more at home in court than on the battlefield, and were some of the best courtiers in their day. And perhaps most importantly, in a group made up of many knights of many different families, ideology and morals, the Ap Owain's always tried to be a tempering voice, and helped the group stay together. Thier arms were a quartered field of red and purple. the purple with blue waves and the red with a goose and a silver egg. (The player of this group was invited in on a lark and got into it really fast, he is a bit soft spoken and conflict averse but always played his characters well) That handsome fellow in the image is the aforementioned Sir Foxglove.

>Sir Griffith
Sir Griffith had a very promising start. Despite looking "like a potato" on his very first adventure he slew the evil knight Sir Turquine of the Dark Tower, and freed most of the round table from imprisonment. This early success did not portent future greatness, and he quickly descended back into ho-hum normalcy and gained a love of drink. Constantly tipsy he never the less loved his friends dearly and would go with anyone on an adventure as long as they could drag him from the Camelot taprooms. When tournaments became all the rage he became an incredibly accomplished knight on the tournament circuit. And his skill with the lance grew to the point where he was nearly lancelots equal, although his less than stellar public reputation meant he never quite got the fame he may have deserved. Sir Griffiths arms were a red field with black stripes and a gold heart. (This player was my little brothers friend, and was definitely an "audience member" type of player, but we loved having him and Sir Griffith gave us many laughs.)

>The Osgarings
The Osgaring family was dominated mostly by a single man, Sir Oswald, who went from saxon child hiding in the woods after the Battle of Badon to King of (half) the Angles by the time he died. The Osgarings were a bombastic bunch, born warriors and fiercely proud, Sir Oswald spent most of his days in Ireland conquering the savage tribes and and building castles. He was fiercely loyal to King Arthur and to his friends. Despite most his domains being in ireland he was always down for an adventure and was the resident "young man" for the second generation, and a "wise" uncle to the third generation. His arms were a red field with a gold fess, topped by a silver sword and lance parallel. He and Dengezitch were vitriolic best friends, and they went on many adventures together. (This families player was me, when I took a break and had my brother GM, although he came along on many adventures as an a npc.)

>The Whitebridges
The Whitebridges were the first of the many families here to rise to greatness, in fact the very name whitebridge comes from the extensive estate the family was granted by King Uther for slaying Duke Gorlois. The Whitebridge family began this story as the intensely loyal right hand to the Count of Salisbury, but transitioned gradually to become known for their incredibly piety and deep love of Christ. Throughout their somewhat rocky history, their loyalty to their friends, Salisbury, and the Pendragon family was unshakeable. The family arms were a black field with a red bend and a mastiff head.

Pictured: The Second Generation of Knights
Dengezitch
Gwyn
Oswald
Galardoun
Miles
Griffith
(Not Pictured, the recently deceased Sir Edward)

Correction. the fourth knight is Galardas, not Galardoun. And the player of the Whitebridge family was a good friend of mine who's characters were a tad similar but usually played.

>All the rest.
>Selivant
Selivant was one of the original knights at the start of the game. Selivant was smart as a whip and although not a superb fighter himself he was incredibly adept at strategy and tactics. Age(ing rolls) hit him very hard very early, but he persisted well into his eighties due to the grace of god (incredible luck). Despite his position as the Marshal of Salisbury he had his knighthood revoked and was exiled because of...
>Temri
Alright have to break character for a second. For whatever reason Selivants player was obsessed with playing a female knight. He was initially upset when I told him he couldn't at character creation, but I thought that was the end of it. Nope. As soon as he had a daughter he started secretly training her in the ways of combat, and even got the noble Sir Galardoun to squire her (disguised of course). Knowing that he could get no mortal king to knight her he called in a favor from a faerie king to knight her. When he presented her to the Count of Salisbury he was promptly flogged, exiled and had his knighthood revoked. Temri was then a knight for two years before she was crushed to death by a giant (this giant also crushed Sir Gwyn to death but we'll get to that later "I got better!" and all that). The player than quit and never came back. The family arms were a smiling golden sun on a field of green. (This player is one of my best friends and is an incredibly kind if slightly obnoxious guy. He is something of a min-maxer, which the slow skill progression of Pendragon is not suited for, and later acknowledged the game was not his cup of tea).

Pictured: A Saxon and a Space Saxon

>All the Rest Cont.
>Leofric Sorensen
When Sir Edward died in the Castle of Bones (Oh god, the castle of bones). He left behind an eight year old son. While his player waited for his boy to grow up he decided to play a Danish envoy and nobleman. Leofric showed up to Camelot with a boatfull of danes and signed on to Sir Oswalds Ireland expedition. He was Invaluable to the Irish campaign but showed himself to be cruel, violent and lustful. He never did get his knighthood, and was so unimportant to the story and his player that when the young Sir Aeryn grew up to replace his father, the Ap Aelfsidge player, not able to find an extra character sheet, just erased leofrics and wrote over it.

>Sir Lludus
Earlier I said that Ap Aelfsige's were tough bastards, they had nothing on Sir Lludus. Sir Lludus was a half-saxon knight serving the Whitebridges when the patriarch, Sir Elias was killed in a Saxon Ambush. Lludus was made regent of his lands and served loyally and ably for about a decade while Elias's young son Miles grew up. Lludus suffered an incredible amount of major wounds over the course of the game, by the time he died at the Battle of Badon he was short an eye, a leg and an arm. Despite his wounds and grevious injuries he never stopped fighting, and died on the field of Badon without any legs, a sword in his hand and surrounded by dead Saxons. A real legend.

>Sir Lioce the Pious
Sir Lioce was one of the original knights and was an incredibly devout man afflicted by that great demon lust. Lioce was very handsome, and thus attracted the attention of many maids. Much to the consternation of Lioce's player, this led to many critically failed lust rolls, and many bastard children. Lioce was generally a nobody knight, who struggled with his own desires. Lioces player is incredibly flaky with games and quit after a session where he tried to punch another knight, fell of his horse, and almost died

Picture: Lancelot

>Lioce Cont. Of course, Lioce's player later remembered this as the other knight trying to punch HIM, falling of his horse and almost dying. At least three of his bastard sons, Peter, Sean and Shane made for interesting NPC's

>Dardanus Agne.
Last but not least we have Dardanus Agne. The formidable Sir Aelfsidge the pagan had just went absolutely bonkers after a near-death experience and was currently cavorting with faeries while wearing a bucket on his head While his player waited for him to recover from his madness he decided to play as a wastrel son of a Greek cataphract. He was hired by the players on the fly when they attacked his previous employer to rescue Sir Elias's sister. His love of money was his main motivating factor in live. He charged Sir Galardoun a fortune to let him breed his stronger horse with the less hardy british stock. He was eventually knighted along with Sir Linius and served Salisbury decently for a few years before Sir Aelfsidge killed him for sleeping with his wife.

Picture: King Lot

Coat of arms design studio got a free version which is pretty solid

Who is "our man"?

That would be King Lot.
I've posted about this on Veeky Forums before. But my group developed something of a reverence for the rebel King Lot.

When Arthur first became king, many of the british lords did not support him and instead flocked to the banner of King Lot, the King of Lothian (And father of Gawain, Agravaine, Gaheris, and Gareth of legend). One of my players decided to join up with King Lot against Arthur, and rather persuasively argued that King Arthur was a puppet of Merlin who was attempting to rule Britain through a secret pagan government. It has since become a running joke, with critical hits often accompanied by a "Praise Lot!" and King Lot becoming an example of a perfect king.

Always remember the immortal chant
Lot! Lot! He's our man! Down with Arthur he's a sham!

On the flip side, when my group ran into King Lot on the battlefield, I managed to completely botch my GM's intentions with him by not only managing to crit the ever loving fuck out of Lot on a fresh Knight that had just been created, but Lot also fumbled his sword roll

>We had it so no one was safe, as a homebrew rule, a nat 20 was always a fumble to allow a chance for anyone to win against a better foe.

So you had the fresh Sir Aron of Berwick cutting down the rebel King, gathering up his Standard, and just riding back to young Arthur like he'd taken down anyone else and brought back a prisoner.

It was pretty fantastic

That my friend is fantastic. Although truly King Lot can never die, he just lives on in a higher plane

So that's all of the major families and a few characters. Ill post a list of stories I think would be interesting, I can probably write out one or two before I go to work. What would work better? choosing from a list of highlights or just starting from the beginning?

If you're interested enough in sharing, give us some quick highlights, then if the thread is still up after work, go into more detail then?

I'm free thursday, US or EU time?

Alright! Here is a quick little one.

>Colin the Clever

Sir Miles the Holy and Sir Galardas the Great we're off adventuring just the two of them (and their squires and eight horses between them). I don't remember why of two Britain's wealthiest and important men were off adventuring I the woods by themselves, but there they were. I believe the rest of the group was doing something involving faeries, which Miles and Galardas were keen to avoid. For they both were suspicious of faeries, as it seemed that Sir Gwyns elf wife was rapidly sucking his life out (only half true).

After traveling for a few days they came upon a wounded man. He said his name was sir Connor and that a black knight had wounded him and carried his wife off to a ruined tower! What treachery! And a great opportunity to adventure!

With sir Colin in tow, the trio followed the path, the found it littered with many bits of old armor. This bode poorly. They eventually arrived at a two story tower, and in front of the open door was a black knight, in black armor, with spikes on his helmet and a sneering devil on his shield. He did seem a tad short but that was neither here nor there.

Before Miles or Galardas could say anything a woman shouted from a window on the top floor.

"Oh please good Knights, rescue me from this dark villain! He had kept me captured here for so long!"

The knight in black cackled and ran into the tower.

"Please sir Knights! Saveeee meeee" and she collapsed no reason.

Sir Galardas was suspicious, especially how the lady made no mention of her wounded husband and how Colim seemed remarkably spry despite his Lance wound.

"Colin, lead the way, this is your quest after all, and you seem much recovered"

"May my rescuer I am much to wounded"

"I insist sir Colin"

"No I Insist"

"Sir Galardas stop your arguing and let's go" Miles was always the more eager one

And the two and their squires walked into the tower

The two knights enered the tower with weapons drawn, it was dark, the only light came through the doorway. It was a bit peculiar though, no furniture at all, in fact there wasn't even a staircase. They were about to turn around when they heard the sound of a metal grate sliding and lock clicking.

Sir Colin had just closed a metal grate on the doorway, and was binding it in place with a chain.

His knightly demeanor was mostly gone now

"You daft bastards, can't believe you fell for that! You round table blokes will believe any old wounded knight and pretty lady wont you? They were just my squire and some whore!" he began laughing.

Miles and Galardas stared at him incredulously

"Well you lot can sit tight while I wait for your ransoms, and no, im not worried about the supposed "blessed strenght" of sir Miles, God's never done a lick for me, dont see why he'd be giving you the muscles of a horse or whatever"

Miles and Galardas stared.

"Are you two alright? Feeling bad that you got bamboozled? well your not the first blokes to fall into this..."

The pair looked at each other and nodded

"Sir" Colin jumped back as the two men ran up to the grate and started pushing

Colin caught his breath "You two are loony, all that fame must be getting to your heads. You're believing your own hype!"

>Two critical strength rolls later

The grate's hinges gave and it fell foward

Colin stared, and then he ran

He of course was caught, sometimes when you hear legends of having "the strength of God" they turn out to be true

After turning Colin into the Duke of Lindsey, he was promptly thrown in the dungeon, only to escape the next year and undoubtedly be the cause of much annoyance for many good knights.

Sir Miles and Sir Galardas never did attempt to pursue him again either. Colin left a bad taste in their mouths.

from where these image come

Like I said in an earlier post, one of the players in my game made them.

Here is one of his characters, Sir Tertius fighting the Fomorian King Balor while hanging out of a chain leading to Balor's daughters bedroom

It's still small, just a lad, but this is my favorite thread in ages.

Does Pendragon have rules for riding a hippogriff instead of a horse? I don't even need it to fly.

>Coat of arms design studio got a free version which is pretty solid
Thanks, I'll check it out.

good thanks you

It does not have rules for it, although I'm sure it could be done.

The quest where you would have to go and actually catch the hippogriff and tame it sounds like the sort of foolhardy journey my players would have loved.

>thursdays

I would gladly join. My english should work.

Roll20, EU Time?

I love this thread.

Don't know any software to recommend. My group made most of its heraldry through the Coat of Arms generator in the Book of Warlord for Pendragon. Its simple and has a huge amount of options. Definitely worth if you think you have the artistic chops.

This image segways into the next story quite well I think

>The Cresentius's kill balor

Sir Linus Cresentius was in a bit of a bad mood.
His idol, King Lot, had just bit the dust a few years ago and now he was forced to serve the boy king Arthur. Damn that Arthur! He was nothing but a puppet of the vile sorcerer Merlin!. Damn that Merlin as well! Damn him thrice! ... ahem. Sir Kay had even branded him "Sir Linus the Rebel" such a title was an insult to him, and he figured that he only had a few more years before the boy king and his pagan puppetmaster's goodwill ran out and he ended up on the block. Thats what the boy's supposed father would have done after all!

So when the King requested that a group of Knights go on a dangerous mission to the mysterious "wasteland". Linus jumped at the chance. He also of course wished to support his friend Sir Galardas who was in horrid grief after the death Sir Gwyn (and temri i guess) at the feet of a dastardly giant. So that was just a bonus! Make himself look good to his new pagan overlords and help his friend recover, a win-win.

The story of the Castle of Joy is a long one, and worthy of its own post, but in summary. The knights journeyed far and wide within a magical land before stumbling upon the castle of the Fisher King, which was under siege by the Warlock Duke Kilsingor. After gathering the Fisher Kings allies they were able to lead an army against the evil duke and rout him.

It was in this battle that Linus first saw balor.

The Irish Demon was leading the left flank of the army, a ten foot tall giant, with green skin like a lizard, Two fearsome red eyes and a third even more terrible covered in scars and ancient barnacles, six arms, two greatswords and two shields. He was a monstrous foe.

In the chaos of the battle, Linus ended up facing him. The strength of Linus's passion kept in standing against Balor for several brutal exchanges but he was finally cut down with a demonic cackle

Balor was about to step over the proud knights corpse and move on with his demonic un-life. But something happened

A bell tolled three times
And in the sky, the image of the grail appeared.
Thunder cracked, lightning scorched the earth. and the noble dead rose again
Sir Linus got up
And drove his sword into Balor's back.

Balor screeched and turned around
"You fool! I'll kill you yet again!"
"Die demon! by the grace of god!"

The two clashed again, but this time Linus had the upper hand! His sword was glowing with the holy light of the grail. His stokes drew great gobbets of blood from the beast, who desperately lashed out.

"Why wont you die!"

"God stands with me you demon!"

Balor roared and reared back his many hands, lightning struck them and pooled in his hands, it was going to be all over.

Linus rushed up, driving his sword into balors gut

Balor gasped, and vomited forth a great gout of bile and seawater.

Linus drove his sword up, the giant collapsed, and now face to face Linus drove his sword into his eye, drew his sword, and cleaved his skull in twain.

"I am Sir Linus of Exeter. Remember my name you demon, if you ever come back. I will kill you again, and if not me, my sons and grandsons will carry on in my stead."

A great shriek cut across the battlefield, and balors corpse turned to wet ash and salty bone.

Linus had never been particularly pious, but he was a god-fearing man now. He gathered up some of Balors ashes as a souviner. And he and his companions returned to Britain in high spirits, including the revived Sir Gwyn. Sir Gwyn seemed no worse for wear from being completely crushed by a giant, well, almost. He could now only speak on Sunday, but that was small price to pay for a second chance at life.

Linus lived out the rest of his days as a god-fearing man, he married a peasant girl, earned a piece of land for himself, and met his end only a few years later at the Battle of Badon to the hands of crazed Saxon berserker while he himself was possessed by a demon inside of his sword.

What?
A story for another time maybe.

Flash forward many many years, from 518 to 542.

Young Sir Tertius Cresentius was in a bad mood.
Not for anything particular, it was a combination of things. His squire was a half-elf which meant that half the year he was glum, lazy and depressing, and the other half he was randy as rabbit, running off every night to rut the local girls! all very annoying and un-christian All of the good wars had stopped before he got a chance to join in them, which was just unfair! He supposed he could go with his Uncle Oswald to fight the Irish but that was old hat, he needed something better. On top of that his friends were no help. They were older than him, richer than him, and had daddies they could go running back to if they got burned. He had one manor and a legacy to watch over.

Most of all though, he was very annoyed that he never seemed to get the credit he deserved. He was just as brave and strong as the rest of his friends! why didn't he get as much recognition!

All that was going to stop, he just needed to do something drastic, something heroic...

Bingo!

Just a few years ago Balor had slipped from his grasp while he and his companions were adventuring in Ireland! The fiend had insulted him, insulted his family, slew the son of one of his uncles and was generally a terror! this would not stand.

He had also consulted with his squires elf mother, and learned much about Balor, such as how he was destined to be permanently slain by his grandson, and thus he kept his only daughter Ethniu locked up tight in his tower.

A plan was brewing.

He and his squire foxglove purchased the services of a danish ship to take them to Ireland. They were going to Dun Balor, the demons vile fortress. Of course he did not tell the Danes this until they were already very close, after all, if they knew the truth they would never have accepted his money.

Of course the fears of the Danes were perfectly founded. When the ship approached Dun Balor, a great storm swept them on to the Island, where the danes who were not killed faced enslavement at the hands of the foul fomorians.

Linus and Foxglove, by the grace of God of course, were able to sneak away from the wreck, and into Balor's camp.

Pictured: Vile Fomorians

I actually wanted to be a player in that guy's game (unless you're him).

If I'd host a game it would be Thursdays 7pm GMT+2 about 3 or 4 hour sessions with heavy reliance on voice (discord or TS). If you want to contact me: flavio dot max dot mueller at bluemail dot ch. I am also interested to be a player.

Alright, this user has to go to work. But I will continue the story of how Tertius killed Balor when I get home.

I know that some of my players are lurking in this thread and I encouraged them to post some of their own stories. Although I can't guarantee anything.

Thank you all for listening!

Picture: This is Tory Island, the legendary location of Balor's fortress. The rocky outcropping with the long wall-like stretch connnecting it to the rest is the supposed location of Balor's tower.

Would you ever consider running another Pendragon game? I'd love to be a player if possible

Player of the Crescentius family, Dengezich and maker of art here, King Lot is number one, Arthur is a pagan puttet to the coniving magics of the demonic sorceror Merlin! that is all.

That would be me good sir, i would post some of the other ones i made but my computer burned out last night so i will rely on my GM here to post them. Hope you like!

Hey friend, Crescentius player here, ill post the Pendragon systems coat of arms generator and some samples it can make, if you have dice, paper and an inkling of drawing skills its pretty damn good

Its pretty excellent, next i will post some samples that ive generated for fun

1/3

2/3

3/3 hey anons, i realised i do a few pieces of art saved on my phone here so i might post some later if there is interest

Here is one as promised, ill be in and out all day, feel free to ask Questions or whatever

Any sort of adventuring advice you could give to someone that would want to be a sort of Commander/Political Knight in the system?

Hey user, let me preface this by saying that i am huge fan of using personal cunning to outwit the GM and his characters, that's my usual play style. But i would recommend you try to take charge where you can, propose feats that would normally seam ludicrous and pray they work. Think, if you fail at something likely to fail its to be expected, but if you succeed, the rewards can be great.
Example of such game play.
We were at a siege in France and the threat of being surrounded by a second army if the siege carried out to long loomed around us. My squire, the then young Half-Elven (cretin mongrel bastard (I don't like fae pagan bullshit)) Foxglove had the power to gain abilities based on the flowers he ate. So one night i had a group of footman gather as many different flowers as they could find and bring them to me. For a few nights i tried (basically poisoning) my squire with overdoses of flowers until i found a useful power. Eventually i came upon a combination that made the women in a nearby town sleepwalk over to our tent (it also made foxglove glow and made him incredibly horny, but my chaste, pious ass kept him in check). Anyway, i recommended to be allowed to try this the next night at the siege. I was given the OK by Prince Borre son of Arthur (who soon became my close friend) and it worked, we took the women and ransomed them for the castle, winning the siege with no a single drop of blood shed. Needless to say i gained quite some limelight for that.
All in all, just have patience, seniority brings power in this era.

On another note, any advice on how to survive as a Young Knight that has a mediocre sword skill? Everyone always puts their Sword at 15 at character creation because you wanna live, but that's still a 1/4th chance of failure at he early stages

I'll also add, be brash as all hell, like when Sir Linus (my first knight) had his midlife crisis, he decided to face a demon king in single combat. Basically die a fool or live a hero, I found that being ballsy and brash gets you the ladies and the respect.

Ill tell you, I played 2 characters with low sword at the start (one had 10 and was a low born Crescentius who rose to be like his uncle Linus) and (the other had 12 and was Dengezich the Hun) they both were fine, I honestly never make characters to fit the meta. If you want to survive, try to play yourself off as a bad fighter, that way no one expects much from you, just be prudent in who you engage and try to pull your weight in combat. If you have low sword skill you must be useful elsewhere so as long as you can excel elsewhere, just pull your combat slack and don't go crazy, works out fine (a few people did this, and the others as you said were kill butts)

Hey, it's the Pendragon GM user reporting in from break. Good to see that Cresentius player has been posting (working on getting the ap Owain player to post). Cresentius user was one of the best players, always kept me on my toes as a GM and had really great ideas.

Not him. Would be a player aswell.

Contact me, I have a few players from a fallen apart game I ran before (not pendragon and due to the influx of no new players) who would be interested, one of them definitely.

Aight. I would open a thread tomorrow. Its kinda late here. I am going to note your email just in case.

You have mail btw.

A new version coming out set in Charlemagne's time. kickstarter.com/projects/nocturnalmedia/paladin-warriors-of-charlemagne/description

I backed it, largely to get a print copy of the latest pendragon 5th ed revision as an add-on, but I'm sure paladin is good in its own right

How much do you lean on Passions in your games? How frequently do you allow players to roll for inspiration?

In my experience it's practically required for any deed of note that a player knight be inspired by one passion or another, especially when it comes to surviving battles, but becoming disheartened or maddened is really punishing.

I've found that they are used very frequently, and yes it is very punishing to fail.

Bumping cause I'm a huge Pendragon fan, I *think* I have secured enough local players to commit to playing the Great Campaign for at least 2 years, and because I want to see what other awesome stuff comes out of these threads. This one's already been phenomenal.

Do you happen to know if the Inkwell Coat of Arms Design Studio will even run on Chrome? My Java is entirely up to date, but the free program simply doesn't load.

IIRC it only runs reliably in Firefox. The whole site is a horror of design. Try to free up money to buy the download, or see if by some tiny miracle you can find a free download somewhere.

The Inkwell downloadable applications (Hexographer, etc.) tend to run pretty well on desktop, is there a downloadable version of the CoADS?

The only downloadable version is the one you have to purchase. The free version is a Java app embedded in the browser window.

If I run or play in a Pendragon game, is it an assumption that we'll be playing alongside the Round Table members as NPCs?
Because I honestly don't think my character could keep it quiet if he found out Lancelot was doing the do with Guenevere.

Depends on your GM/campaign, but generally speaking, no.

Usually, KotRT make cameos at most as par for the course, until late game when your character/families get into high Glory numbers and get personally directed to go take care of problems by Arthur or a KotRT member.

One or twice, at most, you might journey with a KotRT for a while as part of a quest. But this is by far the exception and not the rule.

So a Pendragon ERP campaign where you cuck both Lancelot and Arthur out of Guenevere would probably be out of the question, then?

Are you at all familiar with chivalric values?

>implying
If I wanted to play that sort of campaign, I would definitely be a lady trying to get with the king because his queen isn't giving him the proper attention. After all, his sister did it, how hard can it be?

Is Lancelot?

The Round Table kinda caused controversy in my last group of Pendragon players.

From the way the GM presented the story until that point, we were Arthur's go to force and his advisors as he came into his own as King. He called us by name, specifically asked us for advice in battle, and even gave full command of his army to our oldest and most experienced Knight (Guy was like 36 and had a massive Battle score).

But when the time came to name Knights to the Round Table, all of us except the oldest Knight was passed up, despite two of us also having very high glory only a bit lesser than his (We'd done some cool shit like defeating King Lot ourselves in battle, stealing his banner, and I took command of our battalion after our leader was knocked out).

The requirements to be named to the round table were pretty bullshit. We'd been fighting as his friends and comrades for years longer than just about anyone else.

Is it just me, or is the map of westeros loosely based on this island?

>Arthur is extremely bad at picking people to sit on the Round Table

This seems correct, to be honest.

Does anyone know of any other legend/historical rpgs with stats based on the stories told of the time? I'd love to see an Alexandrian rpg in a similar vein to Pendragon, especially with the eastern kingdoms being incorporated so you've got Greco-Buddhist values as well.

danke schoen

>My Java is entirely up to date, but the free program simply doesn't load.

same

firefox, no joy

>heraldry

Well, shit. Does anyone have a download of the actual program they're willing to share?

Your GM wasn't out to screw you (most likely). At least in my copy of the 5e Pendragon book, it outright tells the GM that the players should almost certainly never get into the Round Table. At most, 1 or 2 guys in a group might make it.

I see where they're coming from; most of the slots at the Table are canonically full of knights already, and hewing to Arthurian canon is one of their primary reasons for making the game in the first place. I totally get why you're mad, but your GM following the instructions of the game.

Chivalrous Bump

bitte

Crescentius Player again. I found that I had a hard time getting on the table as well. 3 of my characters Killed Balor (literally an Irish Demon God) and still didn't make it on (well one of them did, but mostly ceremoniously as the world was about to end. Its not meant to be easy, but I do agree that the GM should look at the merits of the players and compare them to the merits of the NPC legendary knights and see where and if the players can fit in. That being said, Greg Stafford intended BASICALLY no one to make it onto the round (our GM thought that was lame though so we had quite a few men of legend)

Greg Stafford is an old-school grognard who hates fun or players ever being able to achieve anything or do anything outside the realms of what he envisioned. Ignore his advice about how to run the game entirely. He's a crack-addled old desert shaman lunatic.

Also, ignore any supplement relating to the game's economy to avoid bogging your game down playing dark ages accounts management.