ITT:

ITT:
>Things you wish your favorite edition hadn't changed (i.e. kept a previous generation's take on it or just never touched it entirely)
>Things you wish were kept from your least favorite edition
Not just DnD, obviously, anything goes.

I'm looking to compile a list of beloved mechanics for game design reasons. But, if it was just "what do you like/what do you hate" it'll be nothing but edition warring. So this is about recognizing your beloved's faults and appreciating your beloathed's successes. NOT why your favorite is the best and the bad one is the antichrist.

Other urls found in this thread:

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?402507-Deconstructing-5e-Typical-Wealth-by-Level
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you take the good you take the bad
you take them both and there you have
the facts of life
the facts of life

Black and White series looked awful and played awful, but I do kind of like Ace Specs as a concept

I wish Pathfinder had reinstated Warriors getting a free stronghold full of (refilling) soldiers to lead at 9th level as part of their repairs.

It's really flavorful, and helps gives them 1. A way to do things your average Joe commoner couldn't with better numbers and more feats, and a kind of versatility full casters don't easily have without paying dearly and 2. It sort of forces roleplay out of a class often played as a "Are we in combat yet? No? *goes back to checking phone*"

I wish 5e had kept wealth by level and item creation rules. If nothing else, it gave me better ideas of rewards for players, as well as shit they could spend their gold on.

5e makes it too easy not to die

I don't know about that. Every edition since 3rd seems like it tries to keep PCs alive too long. All you need is to let the bad guys know how to doubletap.

I had a player die in my first session to hobgoblins. Massive damage rule took him out. Went from Full to neg full in one hit, no crit.

If nothing else it's less than 4e's healing surges, which restored minimum 1/4 health, usually more and most classes had at least 6. That's 150% health for free. Sure it was originally where all healing came from, so that was almost justified, but then it wasn't as more materials were released.
Meanwhile your entire HD pool will only average a little above half your total health.

You were limited on the amount of healing surges you could use in combat. They were just a scaling limiter on healing.

I mentioned this, as well as why it wasn't relevant.

Not really any different to other editions healing though, which was functionally unlimited.

yeah, early levels 5e is known for being pretty dang lethal.
I don't know how many near-TPKs my party had before we finally got rolling.
I took healing word through magic initiate at 4th as a warlock with 8 wis just to get people back up. It had a 25% chance of it fizzling because it was 1d4-1, but it was still worth it because it meant I could rezz the paladin or druid who could heal themselves or someone else.

I miss Spelljammer and Pre-faction war Planescape as proper settings, and I wish 5e would publish stuff for them

I despise Dragonborn and wish they'd stayed the fuck out of 4e and 5e.

Every time you cast a heal, that's one less buff, source of damage, or battle field control you can use. Both because you used your action that turn to cast it, thereby meaning you did not take an action to end the fight, and because it used one of your slots, meaning you have one less tool to end that fight and any subsequent fights with.

It's not unlimited. you pay for it in being increasingly useless.

This is why cleric optimization guides beg you to prevent damage not repair it. It's much more efficient spell slot AND action economy wise.

>I despise Dragonborn and wish they'd stayed the fuck out of 4e and 5e.
Is it just the continent popping in from nowhere, hating scalies who play them, or something about the race's lore specifically?

Wands are a thing. 4E also requires you to spend actions to heal outside a second wind.

True, but not always Standard.
Meaning you could still contribute.

And it certainly wasn't lessening your effectiveness in the long run to do so, in any way.

Either it was your daily, and oh well all it did was heal, what else were you gonna use it for?

It was an encounter, oh well you'll get it right back next fight and all it could do was heal, no reason not to pop it.

Or it was an at-will, in which case, literally who cares, you could do it all day.

Just saying, it isn't some miracle mechanic where damage you take doesn't matter. Healing is also fairly irrelevant if you're getting killed in one hit as well.

Whoever drew that has a fundamental misunderstanding of yin and yang, but it's cute I guess.

>Wands are a thing.
There are no wands in 5e that heal.

There's a staff, but it's limited to three classes who already heal, uses an atunement slot, and uses up nearly half of its daily charges to do any serious healing. Spend them all and it has a chance to vanish.

There's a feat that lets you use one use of a Healer's kit on a person once a rest to cure about a Lvl1 Cure Wounds. But by that point you've spent one of your 5 feats to do it. More than a fair trade.

Fair enough, I'm not that familiar with 5e. Starting to wonder how anyone makes it past lvl 1.

Not playing like idiots who think the only solution is violence tends to help.

Dungeon crawls are pretty damn risky. I found it pretty rare even in 3.5 to not lose at least one person a run.

Yeah, I was about to say that myself. Calling yang "good" and yin "bad" is a massive oversimplification.

>rewarding xp for non-combat situations
Such as sneaking out of the prison. Convincing the kobolds that the PCs are emissaries from a dragon here to examine their tribe for possible servants.
Exploring a mystical location and dealing with its hazards.
>very easy encounters
This is not a very good solution, but some DMs do it anyways. At least level 1 and 2 are somewhat short.
>playing smart
Usually, you can get through even the dangerous low level encounters if you choose your battlefield and play on your advantages. Not always, though.
>Luck
Can't be underrestimated.

This, if you don't want to use magic items they still could've added inherent bonuses.

I wish it kept the warlord (possibly only usable with the optional grid based combat rules set to ON), and kept how healing surges worked.

>>playing smart
>Usually, you can get through even the dangerous low level encounters if you choose your battlefield and play on your advantages. Not always, though.
And this is what would have SAVED the player that died to hobgoblins. The rest of the group wanted to ambush them, since they knew hobgoblins got bonus damage for having adjacent allies that also threaten, and so were lying in wait to attack from the flanks of the patrol line, that way none of them had the bonus.
Instead, he gets impatient, and Leeroy Jenkins it, when they were so far away he couldn't even get the first swing. So they do what any trained soldier would do, advanced 10ft, still in a phalanx, and stab. They roll 1 short of max for 20 damage, he has 10 health. He's dead, Jim.
"Alllahu ackbar" gets salty, blames me, blames the system, stands up, and says he's going to bed.
Then the rest of the group panics and routs because a player got oneshot, despite still having full health and considerably more manpower than their enemy, plus a healer, two people with medicine proficiency, and two people with spare the dying among them, plus 10 goodberries to use as sensu beans, which I gave them in overpreperation just in case they were total imbeciles or I had accidentally misunderstood encounter math, and somehow, some way, Marty finds a way to die in spite of it. The campaign more or less dies with him because that was the only session, all but one dropped.

Later on, while reviewing his character sheet, I find he hadn't even done his math right and was 5 under pointbuy. With the 2 points of Con that could have net him, he would have been fine.

Given the whole reason we were playing was to test the system, and he's very set in his 3aboo bias, I have half a mind he planned to die, but as evidenced by the suicidal rush, he's not much known for forethought. So probably just a string of bad coincidences that happened to justify his mindset rather than intentional sabotage.

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?402507-Deconstructing-5e-Typical-Wealth-by-Level

I wish they had kept short rests 5 minutes.

Yes it fucking is.

A single leader only has 2-3 minor action heals, otherwise all you can do is standard actions, which are less than ideal (the built in Second Wind is something you absolutely don't want to do unless you have to).

Enemy damage was also primed taking actually heals into account, and your HP actually didn't (comparatively) scale as much as in 5e, which means that monsters can actually deal more consistent damage.

4e is more dangerous than 5e on all levels aside from 1-3, which you can simulate with level 0 rules if you really want that rusty dagger shanktown feel.

>Meanwhile your entire HD pool will only average a little above half your total health.

you add you constitution bonus to each roll die roll so i don't see how your entire HD pool averages little above half your total health?

should it not at least be a little bit lower then max but no where near half?

sorry not a math nerd so I don't have anything to back that up with, anyone here do the math on HD in 5E?

Well, it'd be slightly less because you get full HP on first level.

Oh, and also the average value you can take is .5 more than the dice roll.

If you took it through the bard list it would use your charisma modifier

I didn't realize healing word was on the bard list.
Oh well. Campaign ended long ago anyways.

That did fit her better though... dang.

>good
>bad

THAT'S NOT HOW YIN AND YANG WORKKKKSSS

I kind of wish MonsterHearts 2e had kept advantage/disadvantage as a mechanic, it added some nice variety to the actions NPCs could take and gave the GM a way to take advantage of conditions. I'm not sure why they got rid of it.

I really liked the lore on Vampire: the masquerade. I think the vampire sects in Requien are lame in comparison to the "Camarilla x Sabath x everyone else" dinamic. The system was broken as all hells, but damn that lore is fun to play with.

"Going down" or falling unconscious instead of dying. It means people rarely die to a single decisive cut, and instead just lie around on the floor bleeding to death. If anything it makes the game feel less heroic, where I get the impression it was supposed to make it feel more so by averting some of the risk of death.

I don't want to go full 1e and die from the smallest scratch, but I just ahte the new system.

>4e and 5e.
Dragonborn were a 3.5 thing iirc, they just weren't really playable outside of a ritual that the GM had to approve your player going through and was specific to one setting.

>Calling yang "good" and yin "bad" is a massive oversimplification.
It's not just an over-simplification, it's actually almost the exact opposite of what the symbol means.