Hey Veeky Forums, hearthstone got me into card games, but I'm now looking for something with a bit more of substance

hey Veeky Forums, hearthstone got me into card games, but I'm now looking for something with a bit more of substance.
what would you guys recommend me?

Other urls found in this thread:

34.200.137.49/topdecks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Magic probably is the biggest but there are other games like L5R, the biggest thing is that if you want to play you'll probably have to play at a game store so you're limited to what you can reasonably get a game for in your area
Maybe you could give us an idea of what's played around you and what you liked about hearthstone so that we can better make our recommendations

First, you should check what your local game store plays, because they may only play MTG. You may not want to jump into Yu Gi Oh or force of will if nobody in your area plays those.

If you choose MTG, also make sure what formats are played at the store. Some stores prefer standard, some prefer modern, and some only play draft or edh.

>Magic probably is the biggest but there are other games like L5R

RIDE THE CRAB

For 2 players, Netrunner. For more, Game of Thrones is fairly strong and thematic.

Probably MTG, unless other games are more popular in your area. Like Pokemon or FoW.

Android: Netrunner - cyberpunk asymmetrical play (Runner vs Corporation) where card positoining matters a lot. I find it a very difficult game both to play and build a deck for, but still very good.

Dominion - the once and future deckbuilder. Deckbuilder meaning you're not building your deck before the match, but during it. You can learn it in five minutes and then it unfolds into a tesseract of possibilities. My favorite card game, by far. Fucking huge box, not nearly as portable as a Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh/Force of Weeb deck.

Thunderstone - also a deckbuilder, a lot more systems than Dominion, but barely more difficult to learn. Doesn't do a very decent job of simulating dungeon crawling, but it's fun to try to combo and beat the monsters. Can be frustrating depending on the setup. Also huge box.

A word of warning: deckbuilders in general have very little interactivity, and they're basically multiplayer solitaires where you race the other players to build a more efficient score generating engine. Some people like it, but they're not card games in the traditional sense.

its not worth it OP, paper card games are nothing but a money sink

Fair enough.

Star Realms is also deckbuilder but you're actively using the deck to fight your opponent. You build space stations and ships and attack your opponent's units and their "life" (Authority). I don't like it as much as the other two I recommended, but it does evade the issue the other user waned about.

Paper TRADING card games are a money sink. Living card games are sound.

Force of Will is pretty fun. They are putting out a new set soon, and the starters have decent staples that should make them a good place to start.

vampire: the eternal struggle
Best ccg eva, made by the guy who originated mtg. It's more political as its meant to be played with 5 people. The mechanics feel to me like more table top rpg -style.

>hey Veeky Forums, hearthstone got me into card games

cancer incarned

forgot to mention, playing online via lackeyccg is the proper choice

hey man, gotta start somewhere

>devil trips

Spellweaver boi.

>what would you guys recommend
Getting out while you still can

L5R is about to get a release, has a cool samurai theme, and its a LCG. A Living Card Game sells boxes with all the cards of its set, instead of relying on boosters, and THAT saves SO MUCH MONEY. Magic is bigger though, but lately I've got the feeling there are less players (I'm probably wrong).

Magic. Anything else is really going to be based on what people around you play, but everywhere will have a Magic community. It's notorious for being expensive, but if you do your research, you can easily play most formats for under $100 semi competitively.

It's also worth a mention that all LCGs so far have withered away quite quickly after an overhyped launch, the only exceptions being LotR and Netrunner (which isn't doing too hot either)

> if you do your research, you can easily play most formats for under $100 semi competitively
Blatant lies

Isn't that half of them? Conquest died because of the contract with GW ended, but it was really sucesful and Invasion was a bit of a mess.

If you have friends you can play with don't get into paper first, try cockatrice

There are lots of better digital card games like Faeria but they are a lot more complex than HS and not as popular.

For real life games it's MtG or bust. If you play MtG don't listen to these faggots and just proxy everything. You can make really sick looking cards with a color laser printer and putting them in sleeves with normal playing cards to make them sturdy.

Don't pay money for cardboard unless you are playing competitively.

Invasion rushed out the gate and dried up immediately release-wise. either because FFG smelled something was afoot or because they were fucks.
Other than that
>GoT 1 and 2
>Call of Cthulhu
>The new CoC one
>Star Wars

And of course the non FFG ones
>Ashes
>Doomtown
Probably forgetting one.

Weiss would be perfect for someone of your sensibilities.

Pokemon is really fucking good if you can play proper opponents. You usually have to wade through a round or two of kids for that at a tournament, though.

Is that actually a card? The folks on /mu/ might like that

are there actually adults playing pokemon ive only seen children

Standard, Modern, and Commander you can do under $100 easily, but that's it and the deck choice is very limited, especially in Modern.

People will say Magic. Do not listen to them. Hearthstone is already a better version of that game, you don't want to downgrade.

Honestly you should look into boardgames. CCGs by their nature tend to be rather "shallow," I'm sure you can find something a bit deeper than Hearthstone but not by too much. Maybe transition with a deck-building game like Dominion or Copycat and then go off from there. Most cities have meetup groups if you need places to try before you buy.

Magic isn't great but hearthstone is worse

>playing ptcg in irl real life
Bigger tournaments use age brackets

Krosmaga

Magic is a good way to go. There's a good competitive and casual scene for each type of player. If you want to try and compete, standard decks are cheaper, but modern decks are long lasting, and the format is pretty healthy right now. The only bad part about it is that WoTC has a way of banning cards and destroying the best decks. You can buy a tier 1.5 or tier 2 deck that is really competitive, and not worry about your deck being banned.
Commander/edh is a fun multiplayer format for Magic that is relatively casual, though there are more competitive groups out there as well. Usually you can do well picking up one of the premade decks for $40 and spending another $20-$40 and making the deck a lot better and more fun for you. There's a lot of design for you to make a deck that fits the playstyle you like to play; swarm tokens, control, ramp, tribal. Very open format. Also if you ever decide to sell out of magic, there's a financial aspect where you can actually sell out for some value towards another game or bills.

Hearthstone is definitely medium. I play it when I can't play magic. Hearthstone has a lot of rng effects that mess with the game, and does not have much for interaction except for on your turn. There's a lot more going on with magic, and being able to bluff/play around with your opponents is much more fun and rewarding imo.

If you enjoyed the Arena in Hearthstone and think that is your sorta thing you'll probably love the Limited formats in Magic.

what's tier 2 in modern currently?

Duelyst

I've wondered if Jyhad (which was always the better name) is ripe for rebooting as a LCG.

Maybe the number of factions involved makes that difficult...

dominion is some gay shit.

Holy. Shit. Buying this card somehow. Love Swans.

Ignore all these shit answers and play Yugioh. It's the most insane and broken card game. And everything gets reprinted eventually so its really fucking cheap.

>tfw even Satan thinks you need to give the guy a break

>dominion is some gay shit.

By "gay" you mean "the good," right?

This lists the tier 1 ,2 and 3 decks: 34.200.137.49/topdecks/
Apparently their data is some months old though.

Not OP but could you explain the difference or give some examples of a living card game?

I can do both.

A living card game is a card game you buy one big box for, and in that box are all the cards you need to play with your friends. There's no booster packs, no card rarity, no multiple buys until you get what you need for your deck; when you buy a box of a living card game, you know exactly what you're getting beforehand.
Living card games have expansions, but they follow the same model as the basic game: there's a bunch of new cards, but you know what you're getting and the box gives you eveything you need to play. Contrasting that with the TCG model of buying a starter box and then loads of boosters until you get a deck that you can win with, LCGs are a much better deal.

Some examples:
Ascension
Dominion
Game of Thrones
Netrunner
Thunderstone

To get right the fuck back out of card game. Unless you have too much money, then w/e.

Try board games instead.

xxxenophile

Online card games are the way to go. Lower cost, and easier to find games. Of the(many) OCGs I have played...

>spellweaver
my current favorite, solid and very strategic. May be slightly on the complex side for someone coming off harthstone.
USP: A couple here. Inovative resource system, and an intresting speed mechanic. Almost like hearthstone combat but creatures can only attack/block other creatures with equal or lower speed. Also magic style recovering health at end of turn.
>Infinity Wars
Solid, though you can get into infinite bluffing games. Rarity is also a bitch, but then again draft is the way to play this game.
USP: way faster games due to simultaneous turns. A whole bunch of interesting ideas fall out of this.
>Faeria
Again solid, probably more your speed. Haven't played a ton because I wasn't super into the USP.
USP:Threshold resource system, but you increase your threshold by building the combat zone. Super interesting and weird, not sure the balance is there.

Ones I strictly do not recommend:
SolForge:Huge amount of rarity wins, and obscenely expensive to get those rares.
Eternal:Magic clone
Hex:Magic clone
PoxNora: Old and weird as shit.

>Dominion
>2017
It is important to play a little bit of dominion, just to pick up how deckbuilders work.
Then move on to modern refinements of the concept.
Current favorite is Dale of Merchants for more then 2 players, valley of the kings for 2. Mystic Vale is also solid, an interesting new take on the genre.

>move on to modern refinements of the concept
See I don't really believe in that very much. Dominion's got this simple solid design that incorruptible. Other games come up with different ways to elaborate on the concept, but Dominion is this beautiful functional foundation. Honestly, some other games feel to me like just Dominion with a bunch of bells and whistles that designers need to tack onto it.

>no multiple buys
Unless your LCG was produced by Fantasy Flight Games. Then expect to buy multiple copies of the core set, and throw out a third of your cards (literally into the trash, because LCG cards have little resale value), just to get the complete set.

Faeria is doing well and released half of its first expansion.
devs aknowledge balance needs and there are many decks you can brew.

Yes the crappy dominion clones exist. No, the three I mentioned are not dominion clones. Deck builders are now a genre, with more then a few games in it. Hell, even Ascension is as distinct from dominion as Power Grid is from Suberbia. Yes it has cards, you draw 5 cards and discard them at end of turn... but that is about it. Dale of Merchants is so far removed from dominion that the main trait is shares is that you have a deck, and when you go to draw from it and it is empty you shuffle up to make a new deck.

Basically, it sounds to me like you are calling all modern shooters Doom clones. At some basic level they share some traits with Doom, but you are still wrong.

On top of that Dominion is fucked. Inherently slow gameplay, and a bunch of predetermined strategies.

The small resale value works to your advantage actually, as the singles market is super cheap which makes building decks much easier than it would be with a TCG.

I would recommend Yugioh, since there's a lot of retarded shit you can do in it. It's also pretty cheap because there was just a big reprint set that reprinted a lot of expensive cards.