Are dragon born the quintessential snowflake race?

What's wrong with lizard people?
I feel like you'd get more special snowflakes with elves and half-elves than anything else.

>not Kender

No, Tieflings are.

At least they're canonically brown uggos
Never once played a roll20 campaign where the Dragonborn player didn't use an anime dragongirl token

Do I feel that they're honestly any more snowflake than any other setting/game's obligatory non-fantasy-standard race? Not particularly.
You could just as easily accuse people of being a snowflake for playing Warforged, Tri-keen, Argonians or any other quote-unquote 'unique' race

No, because 'snowflake' makes no sense outside of context.

In a setting where unusual races are common, they're par for the course. In a setting where they're uncommon, it could be seen as a form of snowflakism, although it'd only be the truest sort if it was a setting where they were otherwise not present.

>Games called Dungeons and Dragons
>Complains you can play as a dragon

I want to play as a dungeon though. Why do those faggots get to play dragons when I can't play a dungeon?

>Not using a pic of the 3e Dragonborn

>who were each completely different and unique

4e's dragonborn were designed to make them LESS snowflakey than they were before. Now they're just a race like everybody else.

There's literally nothing wrong with being a Dragonborn Half-Dragon Red Dragon Disciple

silly user, 4e never happened and no one read 5e's phb so they're clearly still how they were in 3.5

only one thing is better than dragonkin
dragonkin but with humanoid characteristics
i mean
literally a humam/elf with a tail of a dragon
reptiles are disgusting but the tail is cute

I find special snowflake syndrome is more dependant on the player than the race itself. I had planety of good RP tieflings, halforcs, dragonborn and even a few drow, and terribly played Prince of the Kingdom/super rich noble humans.

I'd rather have someone play as an actual dragon in human form than a dragonborn.

That sounds absolutely awful

You've been able to play as a dungeon-man for years, user.

That's a robot, not a dungeon.

>warforged pc is a hollow mini labyrinth filled with cranium rats, which control and operate it

>farworged
Sounds like a Lovecraftian anthro wolf race

He has a chest in his torso. It's even got a keyhole, so it's a locked chest. And inside is his heart, which is magic. And where do you find locked chests with magic items in them? In a dungeon.
Q.E.D.

A dungeon isn't just a locked chest with a magic item. It also needs to contain monsters, traps, and adventurers.

The head is a wooden carving that talks, that's a monster. Adventurers aren't always in a dungeon, but I suppose they could come inside him.
And if you slap a dress on him, he's a trap, too.

Face it, man, he's a dungeon.

He has termites

If his head is a monster, then he has a monster on him, not in him.
And the termites are clearly not giant termites, so they're not proper monsters.

Points taken RE adventurers and traps, the entire dungeon being a trap does work.

Well, he has some sort of spirit animating him, a ghost in the machine. Therefore he's haunted.
Therefore, he's a dungeon.

But it's a ghost without stats, so it's an environmental feature, not a monster.

>start a group with a bunch of new players
>group is 1 human, 3 tieflings, and 2 dragonborns
every time

Can't any problem with a race being a snowflake be solved by just putting a kingdom's worth of them nearby and saying that people have been trading peaceably with them for long enough that no one's really impressed just by you being a monster-looking dude?

did you ever see HFY threads? humans are gigantic fucking snowflakes. "oh look at us, we're good at everything but masters of nothing :^)" "haha tons of weird things are totally normal to us, doesnt that make us special?"

Still enough encounters for a dungeon.

A dungeon with no monsters?
What is this shit, interpretive freeform?

If it's a warforged conjurer in a dress, then it's a dungeon trap that summons monsters.

But user,that's what a dragonborn is!

Make the monsters be inside the dungeon or you're fired.

The warforged has predrawn summoning circles IN his body that he uses to summon swarms. The swarms are summoned inside his body, leave through a hivelike structure in his back to attack foes, and take refuge in there when in danger or when the battle is over.

While the warforged wears a dress.

Yep, that works.

Looks like everything checks out, lemme just run this by my GM.

That's what they did with Dragonborn when they turned them into a race. In 3e every dragonborn was unique, you had to go through an elaborate ritual to turn yourself into one, and every one of them got different features and abilities. One might have wings, another might have poison breath and scales on his arms, it was a kit for making a super "unique" character.
Then they just turned them into "those guys who live over there" but people still think they're snowflakes, I guess

Why can't /tg always be this entertaining?

It takes anons willing to roll with whatever comes up and who can avoid taking things too seriously. They're in shorter supply now than in days of yore, but sometimes it all comes together like it used to.

Because tg one day decided that everything was good despite the autism rather than good because of the autism

No, because they're missing the all-important evil reputation to defy. Drow, tieflings, and even half-orcs are all worse than dragonborn because they're bait for playing-against-type.

Arkhosia Defense Force please leave

More like they fill a niche that's already occupied by Lizardmen, and Lizardmen are much more interesting
So no. Not snowflake, but rather redundant and unnecessary

>3e dragonborn

Source?

Races of the Dragon. PDF is too big to post directly, unfortunately, but it's the first result on a Google.

I prefer Dragonborn as essentially biological Warforged made by some Dragon who wanted to rule the world, using Lizardmen as a base for his bio-magics.

In fact now that I think of it Dragonborn in my game are pretty much in-setting Space Marine equivalents, (though not supersoldiers, just "better than average"-soldiers), complete with Primarch expys (one per color/metal) and an Emperor who made them.

So Dragonborn are essentially upgraded Lizardmen, but they lost their natural swamp adaptation in exchange for being better line soldiers, though this was long enough ago they're just another (albeit rare in most regions) race.

They're not that snowflakey as of 4e
In fact outside of 4e they're boring because only the Points of Light setting really gave them a history. Now all of the sudden they were just always "there"

Template from Races of The Dragon.

I legitemately want to make this character now. Maybe without the dress part.

>shit taste

equal chance with that and 1 elf+9 humans

they're not snowflakes in a setting where dragons rule everything and have sex with all the human wimminz

My latest campaign started as
>Human
>Half elf
>Elf
>Elf
>Dragonborn

Tieflings were originally pretty good, requesting the list of optional extras for tieflings.

From which edition? You can find the AD&D table on 1d4chan's Tiefling page.

But lizardmen and kobolds and half-dragons and various other lizard options were already a thing but that wasn't as super special as magic dragon-infused furries.

You can, it's called being the DM.

No race is snowflakey, only the people who play them

>and Lizardmen are much more interesting
What so lizardmen even have going for them? They're just tribal lizard people

Original tieflings were the definition of snowflakes, complete with their own "mommy/grandmommy fucked a demon now choose your unique features" roll table. If anything they've gotten better by being uniform and having a united origin

elves are the asians of the fantasy world i swear to god
you don't want to be generic so you pick the most socially acceptable exotic race

My issue with exotic races is that people who choose those, usually just fail horribly at roleplaying it. It's hard to roleplay an entirely different species, with different origins, different values and different way of thinking.
And also because they either go full on stereotype or full on racial deconstruction type of characters.

Just play as an Awakened Mimic.

>they fill a niche that's already occupied by Lizardmen
They really don't. Lizardmen are tribal, swamp-inhabiting barbarians who might, at best, worship a dragon. Dragonborn are civilized, militant, and with powers similar to dragons.

Many exotic races are made specifically to play their stereotype though. They are not fleshed out in any significant way beyond "Here's a cat/lizard/etc man. It does cat/lizard/etc things. Go wild."

The niche is "people with scales"

How can that be when I've never seen anyone play as them? That'd be like saying a vacuum is the quintessential state of being.

How incredibly limiting. And boring too.

Shit, now we gotta get rid of yuan-ti too! And kobolds...and kenku, come to think of it...

Ah, the old "one patch" scalie definition.

>n-no guys, i evolved these after feathers!

Dragons
Lamia
Naga
Yuanti/Serpentfolk
Kobolds

Kenku because birds are "reptiles".

I use sarnak or Draconians in my campaigns

Speaking of...
How do you even play as a beastrace without getting odd looks from the other players.
They look cool damnit. I just want to play as something different without getting called a furfag

>dragonborn
>dragon
There hasn't been anything special about dragons for decades.

Is that a reference to the retarded 4e dragonborn flavor text?
>choose dragonborn if you want to play as a dragon
No shit, Wizards.

Play with people who aren't internet retards? I know, they're a vanishing people in this age.

Play as a slug person.

I wouldn't even think twice about something like that unless someone picked like a fucking tabaxi all the time

In the game called Dungeons and DRAGONS, I don't see any problem with people wanting to play DRAGON-people. If anything, they fit in better to the Conan/John-Carter/Solomon-Kane/Elric style pulp world that D&D is actually designed to run, especially when compared to the shoehorned-in Tolkien races.

Yuan-ti are not pcs, kobolds fill the scrappy underdog niche these days and kenku are redundant for other reasons anyway

Avoid anything sexual and you'll be fine.

Like lizardfolk have ever been in the player's handbook.

I have an itch to replace kobolds in that niche with angry little ducks.

I disagree. 2nd and 3rd edition Tieflings were great. 4th fucked them up with there "Let's be like WoW" bullshit. Now they look like discount Draenei.

Humans are the most snowflake race.
>tee hee, my character's race specializes in being *adaptable*
>that means they're good at *everything!*
>and they get an extra feat, too!
>oh, what's their flaw?
>they don't have any, silly!
>ok, fiiiine. They can't see in the dark.
>which means you've gotta carry around a light source for me!
>and they die younger, so it can be *so* tragic when your characters end up outliving mine.
>oh, and they still conquered the entire world
>and *everyone* thinks they're hot and *totally* wants to have sex with them!
>and they can have magic hybrid babies with *anyone!*
>elves, orcs, even dragons!
>but not dwarves. Ugh!
>and all the Gods except the weird racist ones *love* them the best
>which means they're the ones destined to be the *real* heroes
>you can *totally* still support me, of course

No, that would be the Drow.

Great or not, 2-3e tieflings were snowflakes. They had no shared history, appearance, etc. Every individual was unique in bloodline, appearance and abilities, and could be custom tailored so.

>the entire dungeon cant be a trap
thats literally the tomb of horrors

>half-dragons
>not literally scalybait
>less special snowflake than dragonborn

The dress is mandatory. Otherwise no one will take you seriously.

>t. elf