Red flags

>Paladins who worship ideals
>Rogues , not thieves, who don't steal and aren't scummy
>Vegetarian Druids

The first one makes my blood boil. Double so for clerics.

>Clerics always carry maces.

>playing a race that isn't in a pre-4E players handbook

>Posting about red flags on Veeky Forums as the fun police

That also makes me rage.

well, i used to play a Death Cleric in 5e with a Halberd, so there's that. also, Clerics tend to be the Blunt weapon users by definition, the Fighters are Slashing weapon users and Rangers uses Piercing, it's just how things normally happen most of the time because a party has to have split of damage types among themselves

>"Can I be from this setting's Japan?"

My worlds don't have a "Japan" for this very reason.

>Featuring the art of Wayne Reynolds

>not liking paladin of freedom
>not liking 5e's paladins that can actually be fun instead of Lawful Stupid

Feel like the rogue one is a good change of pace, especially if they don't end up stealing from the party because "I got here first."

>City guards are angry and easily corruptible

Then you're just a knight with a strong sense of a certain ideal, not a paladin.

>Player provides character art
>It's drawn in manga/anime style

>Player provides character art
>We're not playing online and have actual minis

Barbarians with anger management issues

>using minis

>Sagely monks from not!China (i love the class but the theme needs to change to being a martial mystic).
>Bards who have to fuck everything that moves.
>Barbarians being stupid 8 Int niggers.
>Orcs and Half-Orcs being not!Niggers.
>Elves being tree-hugging hippies and not!Swedes.
>Dwarves not being shifty merchants who will fuck you over at any given moment for profit.
>Spell slots instead of a power pool and learned spells.

Fair enough. Is there a way in your settings for me to be a stranger in a strange land?

>No?
>Eisenhower?
>James Dean?

>reee rogues are supposed to be penny pinching thieves exclusively
>FUCKING ASSHOLE THIEF STOLE MY GOLD

Isn't 5e pretty explicit about the ideals and quests of a paladin being much more important that worship?

>Vegetarian Druids
This is the only one that makes no sense. The other two are just spergrage

>stranger in a strange land
>thinking it's originally from the song
[REEEEEEEEing in Heinlein]

So is this the thread for actual pathetic autism, or is it ironic pathetic autism?

>implying that's the source
[screeching in Jahwe]

5e is the best thing that happened to paladins

What's wrong with that? Do you have 3-D printed custom minis for every character you play or something?

Actual autism looks like.

The problem with paladins is that they are based on chivalrous Christian knights who lived in a monotheistic world. Therefore, there's no question of who they worship - everyone in their universe worships God or is a pagan/Mohammedan enemy. D&D paladins exist in a tolerant polytheistic setting, so to make them work they either "worship" an ideal or are transformed into the military wing of whatever temple they belong to. It's not a neat fit.

>fantasy setting
>player asks if their character's mortal enemy can be Communism

>player brings own minis
>they're just moe anime figures
>some have clearly been hotglued in the past

>"It's not a fetish! It makes her unique. "

>absolutely refuses to bring snacks.
>unless they're Mexican. Then bringing snacks is the red flag.

>playing as or letting others play as a lolrundumb sneak

>Player designs PC to antagonize other group members(dogmatic clerics, kender, etc)
>Player calls his character a "build" like the game is a CCG or MMO
>DM uses the terms "dark" or "gritty" to describe his setting

What's wrong with vegetarian druid?

>fantasy setting
>player asks if their mortal enemy can be capitalism

Anti undead, you fool.

Which is a paladin. Pay attention

All of those are completely fine; you have Asperger's syndrome.

This is my favorite way to weed out players. Ask them about what kind of character they'd be in a game. The ones who want to be minotaurs, psionicists, half-ghosts and other stupid shit don't get invited. I like modern systems but for fantasy settings I'm definitely fond of the retro/80's feel.

>What's a paladin?

Yeah thats a big red flag, I totally wouldn't invite you to my games

Had red flags became "totally pointless and meaningless situations that make me sperg" instead of actual problems?

You're both fundamentally wrong. Paladins are based on Arthurian legend and the Song of Roland. They literally get their power from devotion to Chivalry, which is an ideal.

Suck a dick with this 3.5/Pathfinder bullshit about Paladins being warrior priests, that's what Clerics were always meant to be.

>Only plays one system.

This indicates a powergaming autist who isn't comfortable unless he's playing something he knows inside and out. Next him.

>Offers to play anything.

Like, you really have no opinions about controversial games like FATE, 4E D&D, Shadowrun, GURPs, etc?

The problem with people who are thirsty for any game is that they'll join games they won't enjoy and drag the other players down. Had this happen in an L5R game once. I stressed the game was about working in an embassy in a major city. Some DnD/MtG/X-wing guy begged to join, made a fighting character with a bunch of social disadvantages, then complained that there wasn't much combat. Never again.

You know what's the funny part? you can totally worship ideals in 3.PF

>fighters are always sword and board ex-soldiers

Fighters are the most open ended fucking class for all sorts of combinations and ideas, why do people ALWAYS go for the "I was a soldier in the kings army!!" Meme???

>implying you have players at all

Red flags were never problems; if they were, they'd just be called problems. Red flags are things that are not serious issues by themselves, but act as a signifier for much worse behavior down the road.

I do not care if you want your character to have heterochromia. I do care that your character will likely be an obnoxious two-dimensional pile of spotlight-stealing snowflake traits.
I do not care if you your cleric worships "that death god." I do care that your cleric will be a tone-killing Cold Steel asshole and that you can't be bothered to remember or write down your own patron's name.
I do not care if your car or truck is covered hood-to-ass in political bumperstickers. I do care that you will probably derail games and start drama over politics while everyone else just wants to be a space-elf star-wizard.

The red flag itself is not the problem, just like the warning light in your car is not the problem. The actual problem is when you start getting shot at or your engine explodes.

The only one of these gay races I'll tolerate is the Warforged. They're cool.

What if someone isn't familiar with 4e, Fate, Shadowrun or Gurps?

Not everyone reads up on tons of different systems.

Hilarious how invoking older editions is always out of the editions virtually noone plays anymore.

Paladins worshiping a "God" is a Holdover from AD&D 1st Edition, and D&D Basic, even 2nd Edition doesn't require them to be part of the church, only that they not be "Evil"

It's always either that or
>ex-gladiator/pit fighter

Let's not forget
>Survivor of a slaughtered town militia/country family

>player asks if their mortal enemy can be capitalism

>banning minotaurs
for what purpose? I can understand the other shit, but what's wrong with those?

>Only plays one system.
>This indicates a powergaming autist who isn't comfortable unless he's playing something he knows inside and out.

Sometimes, but I think more often it just indicates laziness. Most of the people I've met who only play one system, especially the DnD players, aren't so much convinced its good as they've just never tried anything else and see it as a pointless bother.

I think my favorite pc fighter I had in a game was this dude who might as well have been a rogue- he was really good at first strike sucker punch style attacks and could also use anything as a weapon, but he was fairly unrefined and untrained so after the first blows had been struck it turned into rabid swinging and hoping for the best- and his backstory was that he was just a bar brawler who picked up a big sword one day. It wasn't super original but it was still a breath of fresh air compared to the endless legions of ex-soldiers who were all cynical and gritty and badass 24/7.

Yeah, I like them too, even though I haven't touched the Eberron stuff. Always liked the trope of the artificial new race trying to find a place in the world. Data from Star Trek, Neo-Sapiens from Exo-Squad, etc.

I guess it just seems silly to me. Towering monster with an IQ equivalent of 60 that should send commoners fleeing in terror acting like a normal hero(meeting in taverns, doing missions for the local lord, etc).

>Lore not being the exact way I want it to be in a setting that I didn't make
>Getting pissed that people play races in ways I don't like in games I'm not in

>le quirky 80's retro faux nostalgia
kys

DnD always seems to attract that type. I hate that shit. Sometimes I'm in the mood for sci-fi or horror or cyberpunk It's fun to break out Dread for Halloween. Or do a one-shot of a new system. Anyone who just wants to play 3.5 for the 10th time probably isn't a good fit for my group.

Honestly I'd rather teach a normie to game than try to retrain a DnD-only guy.

Well, you need a backstory that
>Explains where you learned to fight competently because you took a class dedicated to fighting.
>Isn't too extreme because you're still level 1 (usually).
>Lets you fuck off and start adventuring instead of living a more stable life.

It also depends on what the players are given to work-with setting wise. Settings abound with magical colleges, thieves' guilds, and similar things, but there's normally fuck all for men and women that have strength in their swordarm and enough sense to put on decent armor.

Non-human races just end up as roleplaying straightjackets 90% of the time. You can be a human archer who feels at home in the woods, but chances are you aren't going to see many elf industrialists who view urbanization and exploitation of the land as good things.

I don't mind the first one as long as it's still on the same level of devotion as a god based faith.

Bretonnians worship the concept of chivalry with the lady as it's gatekeeper

What I don't like are Paladins who are basically just "I'm a good guy and protagonist thus I have holy powers" like most JRPG paladins

>Thinks there's something wrong with having an organization where the person in charge isn't the most powerful/skilled.

This seems to be especially bad in fantasy settings with thieves and wizard's guilds.

I think it could be done. Honestly I think culture and race should be separated, while the biological traits of a race may influence how they interact with the world, no reason they shouldn't gain cultural information from other nearby cultures.

Depends on how animu it is. I'd be fine if the style was similar to Berserk, Planetes Claymore or Vagabond
Though if it looks like Boku No Pico or some moeblob shit like that I'd be a bit disapointed

>Red flags are things that are not serious issues by themselves, but act as a signifier for much worse behavior down the road.
>Being a non scumy, cunty rogue is a redflag
I still don't get what a redflag is

So not behaving badly is a bad behaviour?

Not him, but it's a fairly straightforward concept.. They are not behaviors that are in and of themselves bad. They are, however, behaviors that people who do them will likely do OTHER, actually bad behaviors.

You walk into a library room and you see someone reading Mein Kampf and holding a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Do you know he's a neo-nazi? Not really, but the odds of that guy being one are way higher than just a random guy on the street.

Paladins who worship ideals rather than deities are cancerous, and vegetarian anything is a soft red flag, but rogues who aren't scummy? Fuck off.

I actually sorta like the dragonborn, too, and how they COULD fit into a setting with a caste-based dragon society, such as with dragons at the top, kobolds as the workers, dragonborn as the warrior caste. Shit like that.

I just fucking hate how dragonborn was so nonsensically forced into everything, including the Forgotten Realms, and how tieflings are now some kind of fucking half-demon-but-still-somehow-standard race.

The way half-orcs are now also some kind of base race that's somehow common is also all kinds of fucking what.

In that specific context, one of OP's red flags is rogues not acting like (he thinks) rogues should act. I honestly don't really get it, but maybe he's had a bad experience with people acting out of character or people picking rogue what they actually want to play a different class?

>reading Mein Kampf and holding a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Do you know he's a neo-nazi? Not really, but the odds of that guy being one are way higher than just a random guy on the street.
But that's straightforward
Going into a library, watching a dude read a dictionary and assuming he's a neo nazi because that isn't and OP's "redflags" are similar to this example, in what world a non scumy and cunt rogue is a redflag?

>You walk into a library room and you see someone reading Mein Kampf and holding a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
That's, like, the opposite of a red flag.

That's said, being a non-scummy non-cunty rogue is pretty much the furthest from a red flag there is, too, and I have no idea why it would be.

Nah, OP's just a faggot.

>Players want to find wives/husbands for thier characters

>Player kills his family/loved ones in his backstory
Fuck this shit, how am I supposed to rise the stakes if he already has his family dead?

Rogues are really fucking open-ended, though. They're not just thieves. They're pretty much anything that's street-smart and that fights dirty.

This thread has made me want to play a good-aligned, religious rogue.

It's hard to shovel out all the snowflakes. I have a player who usually plays normal races but bases every single character on exploiting some weird glitch in the rules, then gets mad when I houserule it away or have the enemies do the same thing to him in return.

>Using archaic spelling

He didn't get all of them and the survivors want blood.

Their souls are summoned and are used to haunt him forever unless he destroy them

>Why are his family dead? I wanted to be the one who kills them
Fuck you, you're the reason so many players start with their loved ones already dead.

>non-scummy Rogues

I see nothing wrong with this. They could easily be flavored as especially sneaky scouts, maybe they even know some Ranger friends from that job.

>Players want to find wives/husbands for thier characters
Why would that be a bad motivation for PC?
More than one of my characters wanted to find someone to settle down with and live normal live after all of this bullshit ends.

>Happy backstory
>Has a deep dark secret that will change everything

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't inject their own preferences, not using the PC's.

This is one of the stupidest posts I've seen in a long, long time.

Don't worry, you can kill their spouses!

A human being a vegetarian is not natural.

Druids worship Nature.

Building cities is natural or humans, urban druids are best druids

Ummm, think again sweetie. It has been scientifically proven that humans don't need meat. ;)

b8

Psionicists have been a thing in OD&D.

0/10

Druid magic pacts are weird. If your pact requires you harm no animal, it's the vegan life for you. If your pact requires you harm no plant? Welcome to cannibalism.

>frequents Veeky Forums
The only one I've ever needed really.

>Tying paladins to worship

So you are a shit player/GM then?