Megastructures Art Thread

Dyson spheres, ring worlds, city planets, stellar engines, moon sized starships, and whatever other crazy cosmic engineering projects you have pictures of.

Discussion is also encouraged.

Other urls found in this thread:

joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
youtube.com/watch?v=MC4IAH2TvWY
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4802acd634205
orionsarm.com/eg-article/5067d430e6021
orionsarm.com/eg-article/48fe49fe47202
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4847361494ea5
orionsarm.com/eg-article/484737879bb05
youtube.com/watch?v=MQLDwY-LT_o
youtube.com/watch?v=dArpj_VxxuQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When would you consider a Megastructure too big?

Gravity is a bitch and anything that big has... astronomical amounts of pressure and gravity fucking up it's shit. But hey, we can say it's super strong. Sure.

The rings as a solid disk structure won't work. The rings of Saturn all orbit at different speeds. The inner ones spinning faster than the outer ones. Keeping it solid would require...well... something super strong holding the inner ones together with the outer ones. The people on inner would have their feet towards the planet. People on the outer edge would have their heads towards the planet. Those in the middle would float

Are those jets? Moving around planets are essentially.... really really fluid. Liquidy like the jets come on and the lithosphere sloshes off.

Space elevators!

But there's nothing nearly strong enough to make a structure out of it other than... like... a ribbon. Maybe it's not earth though. I mean, there are two moons.

...What's holding up those rings?

Cool. Wouldn't shadows be a bitch through that lattice?

This is why you hard sci fi autists are despised

>I have a strong prejudice against things other people enjoy, such as fictional science and aesthetically pleasing imaginary designs. Thus I, the smartest and most intelligent human around, am going to point out why structures such as these could not possibly exist. Behold my genius!

>This is dumb. You would take off the atmosphere
>he says about a picture which clearly depicts a celestial body with little-to-no atmosphere

Get some glasses.

Why would the rings need to be held up? You mean held together?

>it covers the volume between Earth and Jupiter orbits

Goddamnit, how many light minutes is that? You would need resources from a few thousand solar systems just to build that.

They discovered free energy and did massive energy-mass conversion.

joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Dyson Spheres are more plausible than FTL. Indeed, the moment you build any space station or long-term satellite orbiting the star, you have begun building one.

What would be like to govern a Dyson Sphere? With a population in quadrillions, more than it is possible colonizing every habitable in the galaxy, I see it would run into similar problems as galactic governments. s population grows arithmetically, the number of possible interactions rises geometrically. I guess you can only run one as a monolith if you have super-intelligent AI running everything.

when the planet IS the ship

Pretty much. Or every habitat governs itself while the sphere is a federation.

I like to listen to this theme everytime Dyson Megastructures are mentioned.

youtube.com/watch?v=MC4IAH2TvWY

>Liquidy like the jets come on and the lithosphere sloshes off.
Only if acceleration due to the engines is greater than acceleration due to gravity.

Thanks, now I'm sad.

Is this game still shit?

Do you want to be more sad?

There's a button (C) below right that scrolls the thing at the speed of light.

This really wouldn't be an unreasonable explanation if you actually managed to figure out how to build something like that. And neigh-infinite energy is becoming more and more plausible with things like white hole mining or dark energy generation.

For the truly absurd in scale

I'd like a setting where Earth's Dyson Sphere bullies its colonies with planet-scorching lasers, RKV, and invades planets with tiny billion-strong (a small squad) special forces and flotillas.

It's just too bad they had all those minor software issues.

Would a Kardashev III (A Dyson Sphere on every single star in the galaxy) attempt to move the entire galaxy (yes, you can move whole stars with a Dyson Sphere, slowly accelerating them) closer to the Virgo Cluster to get more stars to colonise?

Such a setting would be based on foppery and whim at best.

It depends.
Would the acceleration ever outspeed the rate of expansion of the universe?

What's the current rate of acceleration due Dark Energy?

If you have a Dyson Sphere why do you even need or want colonies?

There's always the adventureous type wanting to run away from the uncomprensible vast, anciet and complex Solar League.

Why does any wealthy man want more?

I thought the current rate of universal expansion was estimated at 72 to 73 kilometres per second per megaparsec?

yep

Ill give it point for being the first, or among the first, for allowing megastrucutures, even if they are severely underpowered compared to what they could do. Hell, building one should count as the Science Victory.

>No planet-cracking mining yet.

It's especially annoying because megastructures (Dyson Swarm anyway) are technologically easier to do than interstellar travel, though they could be more expensive.

Why make it so big if most of it is uninhabitable, and the habitable area is still huge?

Hmm. As it's centre is 16.5~ Mpc away, it should be accelerating away at roughly 1188km/s to 1204km/s.

Given the sheer scale of the observable universe (28.5 gigaparsecs) we should have no trouble catching it (assuming a Shkadov'ed galaxy can out-accelerate 73km/s/mpc, which I imagine is reasonable enough once it's up to speed).

>My Therian friend

Orion's Arm has the a Dyson Galaxy, known as the Leviathan:orionsarm.com/eg-article/4802acd634205

Also lots of megastructures:
orionsarm.com/eg-article/5067d430e6021

my favorites:
orionsarm.com/eg-article/48fe49fe47202
orionsarm.com/eg-article/4847361494ea5
orionsarm.com/eg-article/484737879bb05

Where did that post use the word "atmosphere"?

I misremembered what the term 'lithosphere' meant. For some reason I was thinking of mesosphere.

Isn't it strongly implied that the 'contagion' that wiped out humanity was actually a software virus, not a physical disease? As in, no humans were infected, the City was infected and as a result billions of people died.

What sounds more likely: that a society of people that can create matter from nothing got BTFO by a weirdly specific strain of the flue that deleted the genetic markers from literally everyone so the city no longer recognizes them as people?

Or a software virus that attacked the database of users/code base for recognizing users in an attempt to hijack control of the city that went bad?

Same reason why there are colonies in Star Trek, because you'll always have a number of people who are fucking idiots who want to make their lives harder and then complain about how shitty life is.

Active support

Slow acceleration

Active support

Active support

Active support

Having everything provided for you is boring. After a certain point, what you crave is novelty. Doing something constructive or creative.

Few things are as novel as going somewhere no one has ever been before, seeing things no one has ever seen. Really, the only thing keeping Star Trek humans from being an awful swarm of technohedonists shitting up the place for everyone else is the Federation's ethics and strong moral center.

Presumably the disk and the other weirder megastructures if built are built by a K2.1+ where they already have several hundred dyson swarms and so can afford do to weird shit as a crowd funding project.

LOL /v/, it wasn't in the first place, just a bit barebones.

This is why any kind of space exploration beyond LEO for satellites is just a big wast of money, talent and time.

So the human race should just mass suicide?

Comically speaking the time difference between now and when the sun engulfs this planet is a rounding error, so if we never intend to expand beyond it we're already extinct, just in denial.

We expand into space or we die on earth. Those are the options.

Cosmically* comically is very much the wrong word. Stupid phone posting.

It is pretty funny, is a black humor kinda way.

I don't know it just seems to be just impossible to achieve nowadays. Maybe the future will prove me wrong.

Too small. Try the Great Attractor in the Xeelee books by Stephen Baxter.
A quote from the text of the book:

>"I have the Ring, Louise. We have been restored to an era before its destruction.
Bolder’s Ring is a single loop of cosmic string... but an immense one, no less than ten
million light-years across and with the mass of tens of thousands of galaxies, united into one
seamless whole. The string is twisted over on itself like wool wrapped around a skein; the
Ring’s topography is made up of string arcs moving at close to lightspeed, and cusps which
actually reach light speed. The motion is complex, but—as far as I can tell—it’s nonintersecting.
The Ring could persist forever."

The ring itself serves to strip a super-massive black hole of its event horizon, creating a gate to another universe.

Heck, just half a million years after earth boils we're due to collide with Andromeda, anyway.

Impossible now yes, but most things are before someone does it, and we won't ever get to the last step before we take the first.
My interpretation is that modern society, when it cares about improving itself, focuses only on reaching current potential, when imo we should focus on increasing our potential, as that will drag up our current average anyway, but more importantly drag up our possible collapse point. The sooner we have self sufficient colonies the less far we can fall as a civilization.

Our meeting with Andromeda will not affect us that much. Massive yes,but as long we stay in the galactic fringes we should be safe.

It could fling us straight out of the galaxy.
(Which isn't too cataclysmic, but will make getting anywhere but here A HELL OF A BITCH)

Best case scenario, we're probably going way out to the boonies near the edge of Milkomeda.

It could be worse. The galactic core could become active for a while turning into a short-lived quasar killing most live in the galaxy with its radiation.

True, point taken.

Earth will never boil since we are very likely to begin mining the sun until it turns into a smaller, more efficient, longer-lived Red Dwar throught the extraction and stellar engineering process called starlifting.

Most humans I know would be greatly improved by suicide.

(You) are the worst kind of person.

>HEWWO AM TWOLLIN BOAWD GOOD YES?

Given the historical ties between the construction industry and the new york mafia, I can't help but feel this is Tony Sopranos' fault.

Space is GULAG.

GULAG gets too comfortable, no longer works as deterrent, so need regular fucking their shit up.

That's basically the thing - if I'm understanding things right, the andromeda galaxy is basically looking at us from the top or bottom, and they recently worked out that our galaxy has these huge magnetic plumes that go up and down from the milky way's galactic core (that extend around about 8-10 times the diameter of the milky way out from our galaxy).

So during the last million years or so of the andromeda-milky way collission, are there going to be two immense moving magnetic fields rubbing against each other, producing an electric current through the weakly conductive plasma of instellar space?

>26 images
>77 posts
bravo Veeky Forums

Where did the mass come from to build it?

Could probably be justified as from stellar lifting a massive supergiant. The problem would be the amount of energy required to keep it from collapsing in on itself constantly and the heat said energy would create.

>...What's holding up those rings?
Gravity.

youtube.com/watch?v=MQLDwY-LT_o

What's stopping the population from cooking themselves to death just with the combined heat of their bodies?

It's not a solid metal structure. I imagine there's enough material for most of it on the planets and asteroid belts on our own solar system. And the rest could have been hauled from another solar system. Don't know about the story of it though.

>tfw, without FTL, we'll never have a traditional space empire
>tfw it doesn't even matter because an optimal dyson swarm could take on a traditional galactic empire several times over
>tfw with FTL we can literally restructure the galaxy into optimal configurations of meta-dyson structures

youtube.com/watch?v=dArpj_VxxuQ

If we manage to create FTL communications, it would be possible, as an empire that exists mainly in a Matrix-like virtual world.

FTL communications is a little bit more on the realm of possibility, isn't it?

>tfw without FTL, the jackasses who want a traditional space empire can't get to you

Well, they -can-, but it would be an entirely separate population of the original assholes.

>legs and feet on a snek
Shame

What if you used the body heat from the inhabitants to generate some of energy needed for keeping the structure in tact?

Stripmining the galaxy.

No, modern communication is based around shooting electromagnetic radiation (as close to "pure energy" as you can get) wherever you want it to go that is the "collected" by certain devices. Any communication technology would have to involve sending mass or energy of some sort, which are both equivalent and bound by light speed. If you could make a signal move faster-than-light, you could make a solid ship move faster-than-light.

Causality, Relativity, FTL.
Pick exactly two.

We very much hope that causality works, because basically nothing makes sense without it. It seems to work, anyways, nobody's spotted any violations thereof.
We can observe that relativity seems to work, since we can experimentally test it.
We have not seen FTL occur ever anywhere anyhow.

Therefore, it's fairly safe to believe that FTL is impossible.

The Net got restricted by a group of people with the Terminal Net Genes. The group later would later become the Adminstration, then they lost control over the Safeguard, because of the many attempts at accessing/cracking it, so the Safeguard started becoming aggressive, killing off every human they came in contact with, the Adminstrations said "Oh shit, we didn't do a really clever thing", so they became "good" and started helping Killy, even if they couldn't interfere at that point in time.

>It's not a solid metal structure. I imagine there's enough material for most of it on the planets and asteroid belts on our own solar system.
IIRC there's a part later in the manga where they enter a room that's large enough to contain jupiter
I think the assumption is that all the planets don't even exist anymore

They exist, but they are like covered enterely by the structure, they are inside of it, you can see that in NoiSe during the end, when the Moon gets "assimilated"
>The City
>Being in one peace
I'm pretty sure that it costantly falls apart and the builders just get to "sew it together" by providing more materials to hold everything together...Most of the time.
The actual scary thing is that Killy just got across it twice

>but they are like covered enterely by the structure
I'm pretty sure they were taken apart for material, with that part in NoiSe just being the structure reaching the moon

>The actual scary thing is that Killy just got across it twice
Well Killy is also functionally immortal, so a month long elevator ride or a millenia long trek is nothing to him

>I'm pretty sure they were taken apart for material, Actually as some other user said, they can convert energy into matter pretty easily, but it can also be a possibility.
>Well Killy is also functionally immortal, so a month long elevator ride or a millenia long trek is nothing to him
>a millennia long trek
>only a millennia by foot to walk around 10-15 AU
just no, it would be WAY MORE than than 1 millenia, or two.

user, even 100 millenia won't be a problem for him
plus he didn't have to walk all of it, given that there is still local transport

user, it's not a matter of possibility, it's a matter of "wow, he actually did it" just imagine the feat.
Also, just think of all the enemies, like the silicon life and safeguard searching for him all the time.
Transport woudln't make it easier.

>Also, just think of all the enemies, like the silicon life and safeguard searching for him all the time
G B E
B
E