Player uses flasks of oil as his primary weapon

>Player uses flasks of oil as his primary weapon

Do you, as the DM, make him trip when he has a belt full of bottles and a torch in hand?

no, because the player is trying to have fun and bringing something interesting to the table and you're being a dick.

If he's ruining the game by being random and burning everything he sees then sure, yeah, lord of light him or whatever.

No, but I'll make sure he understands the risk when traversing difficult terrain. I'm not about to fuck over one of my players that hard, but if they roleplay a little more cautiously then I'm more than happy with the result.

no, because i'm not an asshole who punishes players for having fun.

I DO, BUT ONLY WHEN HE IS RIGHT NEXT TO A VAT OF NUCLEAR WASTE/COSMIC RAYS

The most memorable moments of my D&D career are when my DM literally fucked me.

Strip that away and what are you left with?

Unexpected cruelty leaves you with cool stories to tell.

The trick is to give him an outby or room to creatively solve or mitigate the problem. If they're only ever going to suffer negative consequences from their choice of play then you're effectively punishing them for having an alternative playstyle. Besides by that reasoning shouldn't every character trip and poke or cut themselves on the weapons, flasks and other items they're carrying?

Well then tell them you fag

Sounds like stockholm syndrome famalam.

Yes.
Only casters are allowed to make ranged fire attacks.

What about alchemist's fire?

What about throwing a torch?

What about a flamethrower?

What about a white phosphorus grenade?

What about flicking a cigarette into a pool of kerosene?

Only casters can do those things

>Only casters are allowed to make ranged fire attacks.
>Casters being this insecure about their power
>Casters terrified because they know some blue collar billy bob worker can generate just as much lightning as them

pretending to be retarded is still retarded

>What about alchemist's fire?
Literally the same thing
>What about throwing a torch?
Burns out mid air
>What about a flamethrower?
Blows up in his face
>What about a white phosphorus grenade?
Blows up in his face
>What about flicking a cigarette into a pool of kerosene?
Gets lung cancer and dies before the cigarette hits the ground.
Also the cigarette doesn't ignite shit.

At some point an enemy decides to use a fire attack too, and it hits.

The rogue in my last campaign did this a few times and it was only really good for cc, his bow was much more efficient. As the flasks are clearly not op, why do you hate fun?

>but I'll make sure he understands the risk

Won't you anger your players if you condescend and warn them about all sorts of potential dangers as if they couldn't determine these things without assistance?

Throwing a lantern

Using a necklace of fireballs

Letting go of fire poi

Taking a dip in bard

Sounds like you or your group was shit.

I dunno "Something went horribly horribly wrong and now my character is experiencing an agonizing death" sounds like a good way to end a story to me.

Some things just aren't ment to be.

What's he getting from using flasks of oil as his primary weapon?

Is he using them as written in 3.5, using a full action for a 50% chance of 2d6 damage to a single target who still needs to be hit with a touch attack? Then he's deliberately nerfing himself for RP, and he deserves a lot of mercy and primarily goofy descriptions of his misses.

Is he getting houseruled 5d6 Fireballs at 1sp rather than 225gp, without so much as rolling Use Magic Device? Better believe every "cast" he carries is going up on him the second he touches a flame or rolls a 1 on his throw.

No, but I do make him run out of bottles.

When you say literally do you mean literally literally or literally figuratively? Or, figuratively literally. One of those.

>literally fucked me
>literally

If he has a reason he may trip, it's a risk.
If he does not have a specific thing causing him to trip, I will assume the character is capable of walking.

It's not tripping and fucking up that's the problem, anyway. It's that the first enemy who hits him with a fire spell (or indeed, a thrown oil flask of their own) will cause him to go up like a roman candle.
Carrying too many grenade-type weapons is always a risk. That's why the smart Rogue diversifies their bag of tricks rather than relying on only one gimmick.

It's... user, it's sarcasm. That's not pretending to be retarded, it's sarcasm. I understand that you might be autistic and not able to pick up on the joke because it's text, but that's sarcasm.

>my DM literally fucked me
I hope you had fun. I hope you didn't make a mess on the gaming space too.
However, this is a question about gaming, not your sex life.

>Strip that away and what are you left with?
Any game that isn't an ERPG LARP.

"Trying to have fun and bringing something interesting to the table and you're being a dick."

What?
WHAT?
Really?

So if that player gets hit by fire, ever, what do YOU think are the odds of getting away scot free?

If its my game, I put the odds of self immolation under typical conditions to be one sixth of crit failures.

Thats damned low, really, with 1/20 being multiplied by 1/6, thats bloody generous,
but still a figure pulled out of my butt.

Packaging, (fire-resistant material layers, well made oil-flask coverings, high quality craft flasks) can assist the player in being immolated by other fire effects, nonetheless, taking more than, say, 15 damage from fire should cause him risk even despite those precautions.

"you (me)'re being a dick" because I'm sugguesting actions have consequences?
WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK would happen? I might be a dick, but someone has to tell you you're an idiot.

This is all probably bait however.

>Won't you anger your players if you condescend and warn them about all sorts of potential dangers as if they couldn't determine these things without assistance?

Have you met my players? Those fuckers need all the help they can get.

Actions have consequences, but in a game rather than a simulation the consequences should be geared towards balanced risk/reward. There are very few situations where your oilchucker is better than your shortbowman, and many where he's worse, so being harsh on him is just a disguised cry that you'd him to erase the name on his last archer's character sheet and bring it back instead.

The sex of both the poster and the GM aren't even hinted at though

>Hey user I want to have fun with this!
"okay here's an arbitrary penalty I just pulled out of my ass because fuck you you're playing my game wrong"

You don't penalize the fighter for getting stabbed in the arm outside of health damage do you?
Or do you go out of your way to describe possible infection and long term muscle damage to his arm and how he can't quite lift it up the same way like he used to?
You don't penalize the wizard for failing to cast his ritual correctly do you?
Or do you go out of your way to describe how the spell backfired and instead of transmuting gold he's now gold?
I fucking thought not.

Let people have fun. You play these games to have *fun*, which must be a very foreign concept to you.

>"Hey, if a PC is in a situation he might get hurt, do you intentionally make them hurt themselves?"
>"No, that's stupid."
>"What?! So they're just immune to damage? That's stupid!"

No, user, they're immune to you being a dick. Do you make your PCs trip when they're not carrying volatile liquids and fire? If not, you're singling them out on purpose to be a dick.

Hubris demands exposure to divine justice.

This is Veeky Forums.

He's right. If you throw anything, you're casting it. Even ranged attacking martials are casters.

Burns out

Umd check

It turns on you.

It only burns when you pee.

No, because that's more creative than playing a caster and just as effective.

Nope, I reward him for his ingenuity, flasks of oil is pretty handy for a number of uses.

>Serve as lubrication for stuck components in a puzzle.

>Maintain a fellow warrior's equipment or armor in a pinch.

>Creating a grease trap, it isn't the fire that kills you. It's the fall.

>Use it make impromptu torches in case the team runs out of torches.

>And of course, burnitate the bastards to death.

>Do you, as the DM, make him trip when he has a belt full of bottles and a torch in hand?
>make him
No, he has to roll a 1 to walk across a normal floor first.
Amirite?

But seriously, if there were an extreme reason to, like them being an idiot, and they critfailed a dexterity check, I might have them roll another twenty to confirm disaster.

>He's right. If you throw anything, you're casting it.
You, I like.

I mean that is what 'cast' means but even better if you Perform (Stage Magic) or sleight of hand for it.