media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
DMs: What was a ridiculous boss idea that looked bad on paper but ended up being a success when you ran it?
Players: Got any "disappointing boss after great build-up" stories to share?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesageadvice.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/use-an-object-action/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tempted to play a Kenku Wu Jen or Awakened Mystic attempting to correct the whole lack of creativity and unable to speak thing by elevating his mind. Would his races curse affect telepathy?

Even if telepathy wouldn't work Mind Meld bypasses the language requirements and also gives you memories which is great.

I wanna make a character that is an artist (more specifically, a painter), that either arted so hard it became magic, or arted so hard it impressed some fairies or some shit and they gave them magic.

Fey Warlock or Lore Bard? I'm not looking for the optimum here, I'm just going for style. Attacks styled as flinging magical paint at people from a magical brush, colorful abilities, that sorta thing.

Likewise I can't decide between half-elf (Drow Descent) for the aesthetics of Dancing Lights and Faerie Fire,
or VHuman with a feat I can't even decide.

a friend keeps insisting on playing 3.5e because "5e is bad".
one thing he constantly brings up as bad is that clerics can 3d10 someone at lvl 1 and one shot any other class.
i told him "evaluating how good 5e is based on fairness of player vs player on lvl 1 is bad" but he just tells me "its not realistic then"
am i wrong here?

I'd go with warlock. Paintbrush as a wand and EB is a blast of paint.

Go the Gray Painter pact, page 17.

What's you favourite UA been?

For me it's revised ranger. I love playing rangers, but the PHB one is sorely lacking.

>"its not realistic then"
What a retard. Of all things he could complain about he complains about 3d10 damage and the reason is REALISM. Holy shit.

Sorry, Gray Portrait pact.

No you're not wrong, your friend is a fucking retard and severely autistic.
If he thinks 3.5e is good he is fucked in the head.

5e is the best designed the game has ever been, 3.5e is like festering horseshit, what the fuck is wrong with him?

thats how i feel about 5e. but i can't make him and the rest of the group go for 5e because they only tried it once,
and i guess had a bad player vs player experience or something and now refuse to play again

If they want to continue smearing shit on themselves, let them, they clearly don't understand what a well designed and intuitive game system is. The best bet is to run it at a higher level for them if they're as autistic as they seem, or just find a new group.

My idea exactly, and I fucking adore EB. I'd like to reflavor basically everything as some sort of brush-stroke or something of the like.
But again, Half-Drow for the glorious aesthetic of dancing lights and Faerie Fire innately, or VHuman for something handier? I'm making this character for 100% flavor, so it doesn't matter how practical it is as long as it sounds cool or fits the character concept.
Only official material allowed unfortunately, but I DO adore it and would totally use it in a thing where homebrew is allowed.

Aw yis

>implying that IRL you can't kill fighter with one stabbing of dagger
What a faggot.

>DnD and realisism
any edition, really.

It sounds like he's salty about not being able to play his favourite edition and is looking for artificial problems to convinces you to switch or cope with the fact that 3e is no longer relevant.

Whats so bad about sorcerers?
>They can twin buffs/debuffs
>can subtle cast a spell to prevent an opponent counterspelling them
>Can move spell slots around
>Shit idk
But why do sorcerers get all the flak?

Artfus a good.

They get all the spell selection of an Ethiopian child

>>implying that IRL you can't kill fighter with one stabbing of dagger
Isn't that what sneak attack is all about?

Because they are wizards, but worse.

Garbage spell list
No actual spells known
They have literally 3 viable Metamagics out of 7 or 8, 2 of the viable ones are only useful for a total of 6 combos with spells
They have no ritual casting
Literally shit tier full casters

>Sorcerer spell list is literally the Wizard spell list with all the rituals and good stuff ripped out
>Spontaneous casting is sold as a feature, but wizards can prepare more spells than a sorcerer LEARNS TOTAL
>Wizards have a powerful archetype for every school, often way more useful than any of the sorcerer bloodlines which are often pretty mediocre.
>So many classes already have Charisma as their main stat that a wizard in the party, who is the only class in the game to use Intelligence as a primary stat (unless you count Mystics) will often end up being far more useful on the skill side of things
>Meta-magic is far more useful for multiclassing exploits than it is for the Sorcerer itself, and alot of people hate multi-classing (especially when it involves charisma based classes) because of how much it shits on game balance.
>REALLY faggoty people hate sorcerer's "magical blood" flavor bcause it's too "snowflakey" or appeals to "dragonfags", while they play off Wizards as more "normal" characters. But I personally find this a really retarded reason to hate a class when BARDS can get magic just because they can blow a flute well and warlocks get DBZ energy blasts because they're some tentacle-demon's fuccboi.

Notice, how all classes you mentioned as more retarded than sorcerer are all charisma casters as well.

Got your hands on it??????

But supposedly it doesn't come until beginning of september....

Sure, but people love Bards (Muh amazing EXKSDEE SO RANDUMB DIPLOMANCY stories), and Warlocks are often touted as one of the most "flavorful" classes in the game (despite being about as mechanically fun to play a stationary turret).

How to fix Sorcs

They now use spell points instead of slots

They now get a domain list of free spells that are thematic to their sorcerous origin

Empowered Spell now reads as: When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to roll an additional damage die for every die rolled its maximum result. You can add an additional number of damage dice in this way for a number of dice up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). Additional dice rolled from this Metamagic option can also grant additional dice of their own.

Distant Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater. you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell. When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 60 feet.

Heightened spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell. You can do so after the creature rolls for the saving throw but before any effects of the roll occur.

Extended Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase its duration to 24 hours.

Careful Spell now reads as: When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell's full force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

Sorc now occupies its intended niche of "Guy who casts a lot of spells in lots of different ways" without stepping on any of the other fullcasters' toes.

Meta magic needs to be stronger and they need to learn more spells.

Oh and if you play with a small who uses the spell point variant casting sorcerer's become irrelevant. Literally all the other spellcasters are stronger than them at that point.

Honestly you want a good buff for sorc? Let them make 6th level and higher spell slots, but keep their spell list short as short as it is. Making spell slots is literally the only cool unique thing about them. Metamagic is just meh.

You forgot the part where you put useful rituals on their spell list (or just let them pick anything from the wizard spell list) and up their spells-known to be on par with what a Wizard can fucking PREPARE.

PDF when

I'd love to give Sorcs rituals too but this is already a hefty buff that I'd rather hold back any further on. Swapping their spell list for the Wizard one should be fine since it's literally the same thing but better though.

Speaking of fixing sorcerer's... How would you fix or tweak the other classes?

I gave them
>They now get a domain list of free spells that are thematic to their sorcerous origin
as well so that's an additional 10 free spells to help their pitiful 15 spells known total. That makes them about even with Bard's 22 spells known. Still nowhere near even with Wizard, but that should be fine.

How do I stop making min/maxed characters?
I start by making something I think that I will enjoy playing then I ensure that every skill,class ability,spell, everything is optimal and It makes my characters feel like whet cardboard.

Here's something else.
Every level they should be allowed to switch out a number of spell equal to their charisma modifier (minimum of 1).

Make it with a DM who will buff weak shit if it's flavorful for your character.

Could be wrong, but I think it was Perkins that tweeted that picture.

The discrepancy between minmaxed and casual built characters isn't that great anymore.

Yo.

At what point does a magical fire stop being magical?

I'm making a Fire Genasi Eldritch Knight, and I'm debating on whether or not to pick up the Control Flames cantrip, and it really depends if it applies to the Fire Genasi's inherent Produce Flame cantrip.

I know Control Flames can't affect magical fire, but if Produce Flame sets a chair on fire, wouldn't that become natural fire?

Is it like the Ship of Theseus? If a magically started fire is replaced by natural flames bit by bit, is it still magical?

>don't take eldritch blast
>suddenly more fun to play
You might hear the rallying whine of "but my DPR" in the background, but fortunately you don't need to listen as there are plenty of other, non-EB cantrips out there, the Hexblade makes bladelocks not completely useless, and playing for something other than damage spam is fun.

Give sorcerers a combined meta magic spell point pool, stop spells known progression at 5th, mimic warlock 6789 spell levels, let sorcerers up cast as level appropriate without arbitrary limit
More versatile, and gives them a specific niche, they can throw low level magic all day, or cast 9th level fireballs

I'd rule that any flames which will continue to burn independent of the spell that caused them are, in effect, nonmagical.

Can it be dispelled?

Produce flame
Duration: 10 minutes
"...you can also attack with the flame, altough doing so ends the spell."

I'd say if you put something on fire, it is 'attack'.
Also, when you put the fire into empty fireplace, it won't magical burn on nothing - spell specifically mentions it remains in your hand for the duration. Flame leaving your hand means spell ending. After which, the fire is probably non-magical.

But you might want to check with your DM, if he sees it the same way.

Short version:
>Fighters
All archetypes get combat maneuvers. Maybe not allow the same manuevers to be used twice in a row just to cut down on precision attack and the "power attack" feat spam.

>Bards
Remove their flavor focus being on music, leave that up to the player. Hedge mages, Witches, wandering Sages, and such are cool flavor. Make em support wizards and take away some of the regular wizard's way-too-many options.

>Barbarians
Rage no longer gives exhaustion levels.

>Druids
Remove wildshape. Yes, I know the point of the class is wildshape, but mechanically it's kinda shitty to have a character who spends all their time playing stat blocks of other creatures instead of their own character-build. The scaling is also broken as hell.

>Monks
Un-fuck the Way of 4 Elements Monk by making spell costs/action economy more reasonable. Maybe give Way of the Shadow more skill proficiencies to better fit their "assassin" or "ninja" profile.

>Rogues
Give rogues some kind of resource pool that can force Advantage or pull off tricky manuevers, so they're not screwed the moment they lose a flank-buddy.

>Rangers
UA already did a good job of this.

>Wizards
Bring back opposition-schools tied to the school specializations. Make Evocation a bit more powerful, move some of the "save or suck" and control spells into the Bard and Druid spell lists exclusively. Remove all spells that flatout replace entire skills or do them better than classes specializing in those things (Alter Self for Deception, Invisibility for Stealth, Create Food and Water for Survival, Knock for Lockpicking, ect).

>Warlocks
Make short rests 5 minutes
Hex is now an Invocation that the warlock gets for free at some point.
Repelling Blast doesn't work on creatures of Large or larger size (sorry, but knocking around a full-sized dragon with your finger-guns is retarded as hell).
Stop trying to make Warlocks into fucking gishes, Paladins and EKs already exist for this, goddamn.

It says it doesn't harm the caster or their equipment while they're holding the fire, so it seems it's magical and can likely be dispelled while in their hand, but it just turns into fire damage when thrown, so I think it becomes natural fire after that point?

>Bard
I'd make it so their capstone is that they regain a use of inspiration every initiative count 20, and give them extra spells known at 20 level
>Druid
I'd make it so whenever your Wild Shape takes damage, your damage for that shape stays there until you finish a short rest. That means if your Polar Bear form goes to zero, you can't polar bear again until a short rest.
>Warlock
I'd make it so the blade Pact can transform into any "Improvised weapon" with which the Pact grants proficiency on. Turn it into a schizel and you can sculpt, turn it into a pen and you can write very persuasive letters.
>Paladin
You can find more powerful steed with higher spell slots. This includes beyond 5th level slots, in case the Bard or a multiclass picks it up

>get friend who's good at theme and making interesting characters
>ask them to help you

Please get a job at WotC.

Some of these are ok, the rest are shite.

Are you fucking serious? You need to write more than a handful of slight changes.

Right, that's Paizo I forgot.

To be fair, user did say "short version" at the top of his post.

I'm going to take some of the "shite" ones (like the druid) as "I have no idea how to actually fix these classes because they're broken beyond fixing without starting over" though.

Running skt. What are some good ways, in chapter 3/4ish, to:

>foreshadow imyrith
>introduce klauth so the airship didn't just appear
>foreshadow slarkrethel

Topkek.

I would suggest that you and others actually try to understand the system first before making modifications. This isn't meant as a slight, but going into the system with the presumptions of other systems or changing them because you think they're "broken" isn't a good idea.

>"I have no idea how to actually fix these classes because they're broken beyond fixing without starting over"

Kinda sums up my opinion of Warlocks. Trying to make a short-rest caster without using a spell-point system and saying "you get x amount of spell points back every short rest" was a mistake.

Vancian Casting as a whole was a mistake, but that's a Sacred Cow now and it'll be another 5 editions of DnD before anyone dares change it.

Have you actually played warlocks or just looked at a bunch of opinions on the internet?

The Warlock model has always seemed weird to me. Shouldn't Sorcerer's be the casters who rely on short rests, since they're pulling all their magic from inside themselves?

Warlocks are drawing from an external faucet, they should be able to cast ad infinitum as long as their patron is willing.

They rely on their eldritch invocations and pact boon.
You can think of the warlock powers as always being on loan and hence needing constant resting and recharging.

The Good:
>All fighters get manuevers
>Bards not music-focused
>Wo4E gets cheaper spells
>Rage doesn't give exhaustion
>Wizards get opposition schools
>Wizards lose skill-replacing spells
>Some Wizard control spells become Bard/Druid exclusives
>Repelling Blast has a size limit

The Bad
>Cant use manuevers twice
This is a fault of the feats that give damage boosts being too powerful, not the manuvers themselves. Reminder than manuevers are an option rule.
>Remove Wildshape
Might as well just remove Druids as a class DESU, because this is THE thing they're built around. Clerics do healing better and Bards do Control better.
>Give Shadow Monk more Proficiencies
The Skilled Feat exists. Monks aren't a skill-monkey class by default.
>Give Rogues a resource pool.
I'm torn here. The shouldn;t just feel like shitty fighters, and they're a non-resource class by default... but their inability to NOVA damage and the levels of suck they attain when isolated IS a problem. I almost always play Swashbucker to get around this somewhat. It needs to be adressed, but not with a resource pool.
>Make Hex a free invocation
If you want more damage, take Agonizing Blast. We don't need a version that takes concentration
>Make Short Rests 5 minutes
Honestly, this should apply to all classes, not just Warlocks.

Anons? Do you think it's possible to make a non-gamebreaking PC writeup for Driders?

If yes, how? My kneejerk idea on the subject is to just say "take the Drow stats, but you replace Drow Weapon Training with Spider Climb 30 feet".

Yes, here's how 90% of the experience went.
>Combat starts
>Use Hex (1/2 of my spellslots are gone already)
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Spam Eldritch Blast
>Hold on to my last spell slot so I have something to use in an emergency or not be fucked next fight (since the party won't wana take an hour break after this combat)
>Watch as the Wizard with way more spell slots than he will ever need consistently provides far more utility to the party both in-combat and out-of-combat while I keep blowing my load on single tasks waiting for the next time we have a rest.

Seriously, Warlock is the worst experience mechanically I've ever had in 5e except for the few times I played Barbarian. I could honestly make a crossbowfighter and be a turret with more options than the Warlock has.

>Swashbuckler
Why is that? Are they better off by themselves? I think swashbucklers should get extra attack honestly

As someone who doesnt really have a pet edition.
3d10 damage at level 1 is bullshit unbalanced.
Complaining about realism in a DnD ruleset is fucking retarded.
DnD is not a """""""realistic"""""" system.
It's heroic fantasy.
Your friend is a dumb cunt.

Sounds like you listened to memebuilds and built a shitter without thinking for yourself. Although your spell refresh rate is dependant on your DM not being a stingy piece of shit.

I'm also playing a warlock and it's been mad fun. I get into their grill with greenflame blade after eldritch blasting. I also cast other spells including hellish rebuke and armor of agathys.

What pact and boon?

The problem here is really you and you being a colossal retard. The warlock has many more options than you give it credit for.

Have you tried actually playing the warlock?

>claims clerics are overpowered in 5e
>prefers 3.5, where clerics were famously one of the most overpowered classes in a wildly imbalanced edition
Um...

What are the best gish classes/subclasses (besides paladin)? I'm new to 5e.

Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Hexblade

What else am I missing? What would you guys suggest as one that works best?

>Gish
Reeee, fucking kill yourself

Would Gaston be evil or neutral?

More like:
All fighters get a basic set of manoeuvres with a d4/d6 and BM get's an extended list, or everyone get's all manoeuvres and BM gets progressively bigger die

Bards and, rogues should get a better capstone

Druids, and wizards are fine, although wizards could use some spell restrictions.

Warlocks should get some more ritual spells for a bit more utility.

Completely agree with monk and ranger.

Sorc should get one pool of spell points for both spells and metamagics. The pool increases as you level up, and perhaps some restrictions on how big spell levels you can create.
You should get 4 metamagics at 3rd, and an additonal two at 10th and 17th (or 2/3/3 or 3/3/2)

Bigger and better spell list, but not more rituals as like the flavour of sorcs being spontaneous casters-

>Warlocks should get some more ritual spells for a bit more utility
user, warlocks with Ritual Casting literally cannot get any more rituals.

I'm new to 5e (last played 3.5) and am going to be the party rogue. Someone help fill me in on how all the subclasses work out in practice please?

I don't want to min/max or anything but I'd like to play one with pretty useful abilities.

Instead of removing wildshape, just say that the 'caster' form of the druid takes the full damage of an attack that pushes them out of their shapeshifted form.
Also make shape shifting cost spell slots: each level = 1 hour, except at level 20 of course.

Back at it with making Dragonborn Paladin with Oath of Conquest in case I need a new character. Interpreting Oath of Conquest as more Oath of Law, making him devout of Helm (protection for those abiding by law, punishment for everyone else). He will be from some stern version of Helm followers, go on missions as tasked by the guild (currently our party is doing tasks for a trade guild, not too hard to imagine guild calling favours from church). The question is, what are good ideas for conducts that he would have to follow? Since once I declare this kind of thing, it should be permanent (unless I want a character arc), I'm cautious of writing myself into a corner.

I worded that poorly. The base warlock should get some more rituals. Pact of tome or ritual caster would obv. net you more.

I think the only really terrible subclass is mastermind.

Otherwise they are about on par. Assassin is a bit weak/situational. Arcane Trickster is a fan favorite because it gets familiar+booming blade. Swashbuckler is most self-reliant.

The tome/blade/chain thing just shouldn't even be considered paths, just simple invocations. They don't combo at all, so there's really no reason for not being able to take any/all of them. Warlocks already got a "path" selected with the patron.

> Not being an mastermind that use his familiar to attack and help action to cheer on them.

Do you even pokemon master?

Why is Mastermind terrible? Also, how does thief stack up?

I think of it as tapping into a stronger power, but it's harder to control. So they can't hold as much at once, but it's easy to get more to refuel.

Sorcerers run at the same fuel rate as barbarians. They both run entirely on long rests.

I want to be a gish but I can't decided between...
Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X or Arcana Cleric. It's all came down to Nova Potential vs Utility right?

Valor Bard, Bladesinger Wizard if you consider Arcane Trickster one.

Clerics, more or less depending on your domain.

>Do you even pokemon master?

Yes, I play summoner druids from time to time.

I only played an AT, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Mastermind is just not very good. It gets some tricks but nothing that makes it actually better, from what I recall.

You got to get creative with Thief, as he doesn't really get any straight combat boosts, and relies entirely upon items. It's the "non combat" option essentially.

Arcane Trickster+ Bladesinger dip is a pretty good combo.

Thief can throw Alchemist's fire and Acid as a bonus action.

>Mastermind is just not very good. It gets some tricks but nothing that makes it actually better, from what I recall.
I want it to be an int based tactical chess master, but it's actually a cha based master of disguise. Their special combat ability requires you to get attacked by an enemy while you have cover from a different enemy, possibly in melee only, so you can divert the attack to your cover. So it sucks in theme and mechanics.

I've played Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight and it's probably my favorite mix of "Magic and martial" because of the war magic feature

>Thief can throw Alchemist's fire and Acid as a bonus action.

Wasn't it Sage Advice'd that they actually can't do anything that constitutes as an attack?

Yeah but like, other pacts don't get Ritual Spell Casting.

That doesn't preclude the idea of them getting more utility spells mind you, just, you know..

Is this just a 2-level dip into Bladesinger?

What order would you do it in?

never saw that sageadvice. At least not from JC.

Pure Bladesinger
Pure Arcana Cleric
Pure 8 INT 16 STR 16 CON Mountain Dwarf Abjuration Wizard

Does bladelock fully suck? Does hexblade save it?

I'd probably start wizard 1-2, rest into AT. That seems like the smoothest progression, with no sudden jumps in AC.

thesageadvice.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/use-an-object-action/

By the same token, throwing an alchemist fire isn't using an action, it's making an attack with an alchemist fire, I think. You could "use object" to throw a dagger, if "using" meant attacking with it.

If I cast Eldritch Blast and activate Human Determination, will it cause all of EB's attacks to be at advantage?

>Bards
>Remove their flavor focus being on music
I always wanted to scrap the class.

How did you distribute your levels?