Why would you play a non-spellcaster when playing a spellcaster is an option? In any system or game that exists

Why would you play a non-spellcaster when playing a spellcaster is an option? In any system or game that exists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mRNX6XJOeGU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some games make magic have consequences, like corruption or insanity

(You)

Because I feel like it, to put it bluntly. Taste is all subjective.

being a caster fucking sucks early game.

I have a lot of different reasons for this based on the other players and the setting and for various different systems

But I don't like how you phrased the OP so I'm gonna call you a faggot and hide the thread because I've been here too long and have no hope for this to have been made in good faith

Because spellcasters and non-spellcasters actually have roughly equal utility within separate niches with both having tactical options to make in play.

So, because you're playing a well-designed system that isn't focused on wizards exclusively.

>asking why anyone wouldn't want play a spellcaster
>posting berserk

Because I'm not a fuckin nerd.
Chad.jpg

For the same reason so many movies have fist/swordfighting scenes even though guns exist: because it's so damn fun.

It really was a genuine question.

>fighter
>develops physique and trains in combat
>lives by his wits and skill and relies on equipment

I understand the appeal of this but
>magic user
>magically acquire the knowledge of a fighter
>magically augment strength and skill
>summon magic weapons and armor, create magical artifacts
>have all the capabilities of the fighter while having so many more options available as well

YOU DO THIS EVERY DAY.
FUCK OFF.

My plan is to set things up such that magic is a significant investment that is generally not very useful in an unexpected fight or other rapidly changing situation, due to long casting times. Adventurer-types get into those situations with some regularity. Still, I'm not confident this will actually be an effective balancing mechanism.

I didn't make that thread but thanks for linking it because now I want to read it

On Barbarians of Lemuria you better pick some warrior career and skills because sorcery is very similar to Sword and Sorcery magic, and it's very limiting( but Can be useful with the right preparation)
Alchemy seems a bit more fun to use though

Or casters make as much !!FUN!! as they do usefulness, like DH. Roll poorly and suddenly Warpamania is running wild on you, brother.

>posts schierke as evidenc for caster>martial
>when guts exists

Guts would do a lot better if he spent more time learning magic

There was once a wizard and a knight. They had a disagreement and came to blows. Unfortunately for the wizard the only magic he knew was how to blow confetti out of his arse and so the knight stabbed him through the chest and he died.

your post seems to fail to understand that casters are only as powerful as any given story makes them and assumes they're always objectively stronger than other characters.

Because magic is for fags

Because games exist that aren't DnD, games where casters can't handle every problem short of an eldritch abomination with a spell they get at level 5.

Spellcasters have to see threats coming to respond to them appropriately, and low level casters can't see into the future, nor have the cash to hire trustworthy bodyguards.
Ayup. And most campaigns don't last all that long in Current Year.
Oh, well yeah, I'm gonna play a caster if the game is terribly balanced in terms of classes. But I'd rather not play a shit game in the first place.
Well fuck, is right. OP is a faggot.

>"magically acquire"

youtu.be/mRNX6XJOeGU

I like to rip and tear. I only play spellcasters if I can use the magic to significantly augment my character's fighting abilities directly eg. making them faster, stronger, tougher, or something else.

>magic user
>tries to cast a simple telekinesis spell
>last words the rest of the party hear are "oooooohhh shiiii-" as the magic user accidentally tears open a portal to Hell and is instantly devoured
>once the rest of the group finishes laughing, the GM suggests that you roll up a non-Psyker next time