Dragons

How do you like dragons, Veeky Forums? Intelligent or feral? As massive city destroying titans or distant, magestic creatures?

As metaphor for society's ills like in Tolkien or Beowulf.

Nobody uses dragons that big in games, it doesn't work.

Usually makes for shit art, too.

I like to have them as living embodiments of the forces of nature, primordial and destructive but not malevolent either. They are the most elemental representation of the wild places of the world.

'bout elephant-sized lizards that can spit fire, cast spells and fly.

They exist at every level from deities to being smol fire lizards

Huge apex predators with intelligence comparable to the smartest birds that thrive on herd animals and roost in hard-to-reach areas.

They have toxic vomit but can easily be killed with bows or spears so they hardly ever attack humans, especially not towns.

In my setting, the Sun it the Father dragon, with scales of precious stone and metal, constantly ablaze. He was decapitated by the God's for being too rowdy using a blade that later became the moon, and his body fell to earth with his scales spreading throughout the world. From his blood came every type of dragon, both wize and wild. They covet the scales of their father and curse the gods and their creations. The head of the Father dragon still flies through the sky, eternity chased by the moon blade.

That sounds fuckin rad, poison dragons instead of fire.

I still like fire boys though, as impractical as it may be.

In my setting dragons are about as big as the picture in the guy I'm replying to, but they age very slowly and their goal is to hibernate, because they can live on almost nothing in hibernation, so the best dragons of all find desolate hidey holes and hibernate for as long as possible, soaring over faraway lands and feasting before they hibernate again and grow larger.

This way, in game, there is a reason for varying dragons of larger scale to appear as "oh fuck" moments, because they are both:
good at hiding
good at hunting
Which means they are not to be trifled with.

There are also the standard tales of lands where dragons roam freely, up in the mountains that men can not climb and shit, but they're probably just stories.

used to be the gods on earth but after some disaster brought by themselves they became wary and gone hiding

So... Dark Souls?

A bit larger than the largest pterosaurs and as apex predators with the wyvern body plan for the sake of realistic biology.

But in DKS only one is alive(in the lake)

>for the sake of realistic biology.
I don't know how to tell you this, user, but unless it has the bone density of a calcium deprived 4 year old, a dragon isn't ever going to be realistic.

They should be huge, nigh-invulnerable engines of destruction, ala Tolkien or Game of Thrones. Dragon Age dragons are aight as well.
Elder Scrolls dragons suck imho

>tfw smaug is the smallest dragon
Ancalagon make me go nuts

How big is Ancalagon?

Speak for yourself. I used ones recently deceased corpse as a dungeon.

Big enough to use mountains as handholds.

>inb4 ifunny watermark

I'm too lazy to edit a google image, sue me

2 legs 2 wings is mainly what I meant when I said realistic biology, there are no 6 limbed animals besides insects.

My favorite all time dragon is Grigori. I hated the design at first but it really grew on me.

Derped the picture.

Intelligent, distant and majestic but also vain and greedy shits

Also, fuckable.

No, tons are alive in Dark Souls.

Grigori is a little goofy looking but he speaks, acts and fights exactly the way a dragon should in my opinion.

I prefer the True Dragons myself.

Stoic, but ferocious beasts with the intelligence of a human. They are keepers of the Secret Flame under the Earth, alongside the fire druids who come down every once in a while with food, gold and music to encourage them on with their tasks. I still haven't figured what they're obsession with riches and possessions stem from though. Either pride from their role and undertaking a duty as important as theirs, or a response from being stuck underground for so long and starved for external stimuli besides fire and rocks.

Any combination of the above, depending on the specific species.

I liked them as bros like Grigori and the dragon in Dragonheart

Friendly and ridden by vikings.

Dragons make the best boyfriends. Tall, handsome, rich, and able to set annoying ex-boyfriends on fire.

All the dragons you meet in Dark Souls aren't Dragons in Dark Souls lore. Only Seath and the undead one in the lake are dragons.

I've always liked the ancient unknowable engines of destruction and/or forces of nature like what GW2 originally promised. My least favorite is the "I'm just evil I guess, lol," that GW2 delivered. But I find that I'll settle for anything big and intelligent, like a scaly, fire-breathing Bond villain.

That's the only time dragons are cool, sperglord mccuckautismface.

In my setting they're... complicated. Dragons are living weapons created by an ancient, stunningly advanced civilization. As such, while they range in size from elephant to bus size, but they "breath" directed nuclear explosions, have skin that could fend off a HEAT shell, and have anti-grav motors implanted in their stomachs and legs that allow them to fly at mach 1. And while larger ones tend to be hyper-intelligent, the fact that their brains and nervous systems are partly artificial allows smaller ones to link up into a distributed computing network/hivemind. And they have been known to hack into old ruins and nanotech to "cast" "spells" and alter their surrounding environment.

They want art, not just riches, as something to remember the world and watch its changing

*Cough* Kalameet

Tolkien never specifies. The one bit of information that people read way too much into is the passage in the Silmarillion where he dies, and it's stated that the towers of Thangorodrim shattered under him.

If Anddraca had really been as big as he is shown in and then he would never have been able to fit into the pits of Angband.

>shit art

>would never have been able to fit into the pits of Angband.
Based on what? Tolkien never specified the size of Angband either, but it was pretty fucking big. So big infact that Sauron and the Balrogs could hide from the Valar when Melkor was captured.

Would a man even be able to comprehend something that size in person?

At a far enough distance, we can comprehend the stars and moon after all.

>fuckable
>that hip-tilt

I'd say

Dragons should be on the small side, to be portrayed as a major threat but not godly.

Dragons should have powerful breath weapons, but no magic spells.

Dragons should be intelligent enough to speak, but not smart enough to avoid getting tricked by clever heroes.

If you disagree with the above, your dragons are shit.

Now I know I need to make my dragons even bigger, thanks user.

dead

Like this.

Take your furry-fetish-model magpies with halitosis and shingles and get the hell out.

Can we though? Most people don't comprehend how utterly massive stars are.

Post more dragons you low-energy cucks.

24 replies, fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls, you lasted 24 replies this time.

I think that's a new record!

First of all, with six limbs, four limbs are for wyverns. They can range from cow-size (babies) to I can crush mountains in my paws-size.

Or human-size, as they can most probably shapeshift too. Like every sentient species, they can range from greedy, dumb brutes to genius schemers and holders of vast knowledge. With age, experience tends to come too.

Do you guys ever thought of using a dragon nearly as big and powerful as ancalagon as the final boss of a very long campaign?
every race united to destroy it since it wants to destroy/dominate the whole world.

I mean. Intelligent is best, but you need variety. Sometimes dragons are, like people, stupid and unable to converse intelligently, or even resist the base impulses of kill-eat-screw. Somtimes they're scholarly folk who enjoy the occasional game of Dwarven Checkers with the neighbor kids.

More or less, my rule is: Dragons get to be people too. They won't always be, but they get to be. This way you can potentially bargain with dragons, talk to them, make a dangerous ally or a powerful foe. But they always have the same mental capacity as any.

Also, variation in terms of size, abilities, heritage, etc is important. Yuo could find a baby dragon rummaging in the trash behind a tavern, or a gigantic motherfucker who sleeps under a mountain range, only the mountains are fucking volcanos. You can have ones as old as the universe, consuming stars and destroying galaxies on a whim. Sky's not even the limit, OP.

Yes, actually. I wanted to start a campaign, and my ideal Epic-level boss was a god-Dragon from beyond the stars. Never got a chance to start that campaign.

His design is just an interpretation of the welsh dragon.

> Alive
Well there's your first problem. The Ancient Dragons aren't alive and never were.

There are exactly 4 Ancient Dragons in Dark Souls.
1 - The Ash Lake Dragon. It's the only dragon in it's original state, that is to say covered in stone scales and utterly immortal.
2 - Seath. Well he never had scale but he did crystal himself up so he's not technically mint. Actually was Seath the first being to ever be alive due to not having the scales of immortality?
3 - Kalameet. Kal is all abyss corrupted, although textures for stony Kal do exist.
4 - Midir. Much like Kah, Midir is corrupted by darkness.

These are the only dragons in Dark Souls.
The Gaping Dragon and Undead Dragons of DS1 are basically a hollow, brought to life and corrupted by souls. It was a dragon once, but no longer.
The "Ancient" Dragon of DS2 is a golem animated by giant souls. It is not and never was a dragon.
Oceiros of DS3 is being just Seathed. He is not and never was a dragon.
Everything else draconic, regardless of label, is a Drake, the lessor relation of the true Ancient Dragons. And let's be honest they probably came from dragons corrupted into life by souls that then started breeding.

>Dragons
I personally enjoy when Dragons are seen as these ultra old and ultra wise reclusives. The mystery mixed in with the familiarity of the general mythology is what makes an encounter with a Dragon so exciting: you know they are extremely dangerous, but you cannot help but be curious about what it has seen/knows
>drakes/wyverns/etc
These I think should be the "feral" versions of dragons, evil yet powerful creatures for knights to slay.

I'd use more for plot then a fight

the creature that carries a city on it back and the like

Dragons are incarnations of the settings devillike figure, seeking to bring Misery and evil corruption to nobel lands. Their breath is venom, their skin drips in poison, every grass they walk on and every river they swim through is dead and posionus.

You can always just make insect dragons.

Huge, but capable of shapeshifting
Ridiculously smart
Not good to make deals with

Basically shadowrun dragons

>insect
>dragon
Pick one

So I assume this means that your adherence to realistic body layouts would prevent you from using animals like Displacer Beasts, Chimeras, Manticores, Ettin, Beholders, Centaurs, Gryphons, etc?

So it begins anew

>How do you like drahons?

Yes.

How much do you like them?

bad

I made a dungeon that was the inside of a primordial dragon (a sort of template from which all dragons were based) It worked really well.

Oh and there's Sinh from 2. I forgot about him.

Powerful and knowledgeable, but generally too autistic and obsessive to make a large impact on the world.

I also love seeing dragons who hoard things that aren't either gold or gems. Pic related.

It is said, for a dragon to be born, another life must be snuffed out.

My personal dragons are cursed race, which in their attempt to rule over everything as the gods did, were subject to a terrible race wide curse.

Their young would be born with no souls, being less than mindless animals, This is how the dreadful wryms were born. Things guided by the most basic of instinct

However being clever, and incredibly magical they found a loophole in their curse.

They needed to place a soul inside of their young for it to be born a proper, proud dragon.

And so that is how they became what they are today. The reason they steal away princesses and other people of good breeding or renown is because most of them are prideful and don't want to father/mother anything less than reborn royalty or similar.

Most of the time, the personality of the "sacrifice" survives into the young dragonling, as most dragons don't take precautions as....well who would believe a dragon saying they're the long lost daughter of the current kings great, great grandfather or most would think it was some sort of trick.

Of course, some have bleeding hearts, some still remember their days as humans to much to be able to complete the ritual

These one's birth Wyvern, as they are the product of a soul of a beast or other lesser thing being put into the unborn dragon. They're about as smart as dogs/ mundane imbecils and have a faction of a true dragons magical might.

Now why would a dragon ever choose to birth a dumb Wyvern instead of a true dragon?

Well the soul "stealing" ritual, besides various elixirs and salves, involves devouring the body of the soon to be dragonling, the transfer of their soul being complete with their death.

This of course is disgusting to the more human dragons...most of them at least.

They also only consider things that act "Draconic" are dragons and will often try force their young to come over to the draconic mindset

>So big infact that Sauron and the Balrogs could hide from the Valar
They could hide because Angband had many hidden chambers and passages. Not because it was so big that the Valar ended up saying "fuck it, I don't feel like walking any further anyway."

Depends on the setting
I really hate how they are in warcraft, while other series they are okay I guess.

>*posts a wyvern*

Both.

That's a really cool setting, dude. The moon being looked on as a scale is... way too logical, now that I think about it.

And in both cases, neither of you had fights with the dragons.

In my setting, Dragons are fairly Versatile. Most Draconic Creatures share a Common Ancestor with a Proto-Dragon of the past. From them comes both True Dragons, and Feral "Wild" Dragons.
True Dragons are varied by their Scales and the Regions they're from, a "European" Gold Dragon might be a Wise Hermit type that Worthy Folk travel into the mountains to seek its wisdom. An "Oriental" Gold Dragon might serve as an Adviser to the Emperor, and a Noble-Like Figure in Society.
Most of my setting is divided by Region, and that can result in huge differences in a single creature type from Region to Region.
Wild Dragons are fairly consistent across the Regions however, being Apex Predators that share an instinct for collecting Shinies, Exceedingly Smart, but in the Animal-Way rather than an Intelligent Speaking creature, letting them Observe, Reason, and Tactically think when in an engagement.
These Wild Dragons are trained by Dragon Riders as well, as I believe that True Dragons would be too Prideful to allow common Mortals to Ride upon their backs for any reason.
Dragons in my setting are Rare as well, having been Hunted Significantly a few hundred years prior to where my current Campaign is set, the survivors being rather Old and Powerful, True Dragons being clever enough to Hide their presence, or strong enough to be bold.
To add to it, similar to The Elder Scrolls, Dragons in my setting are Immortal in a manner of speaking. Their souls Persist in the world, and they'll never die of old age.

Yes.

>Not beig down for a ship scale battle against a dragon with a maw the size of a small castle as you desperately try to keep ahead of it

It's like you don't even like fun

Yes. And by that I mean, I like to have a huge variety of various draconic creatures. From the huge city wrecking dragon gods to the small feral dragonets.

Like pic related. Its a sea gull like dragonet a few feet in length that flies the shores and can be found playing among the sails and tops of ships. Often taken as familiars or pets by sailors and seaside individuals.