ITT things that would be considered tech heresy by the Adeptus Mechanicus

ITT things that would be considered tech heresy by the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Anime.

Literally anything that isn't spelled out in some STC.
It took them 10000 years to attach a preexisting type of cannon to a preexisting type of tank, insert joint A into slot B, because there was no known STC that specifically said it was possible.

>Blame!
This is why you don't build machines that can think.

Are there corporations in 40k?If so,why dont they develope new tanks?

there would likely be a bunch of nonoes about dabbling in flesh constructs if only due to their "Flesh is weak, Metal is strong" ideology and not for anything to do with the dubious morality of it.

>If so,why dont they develope new tanks?
Because the Mechanicus has a monopoly on the Imperium's manufacturing and don't like it when people infringe on that. They have enough sway to get anyone who tries executed for tech heresy.

Windows Vista

But that's the best bit about Blame! The thinking's being done by a bunch of uploaded humans. Shit went wrong because the Safeguard attempted a coup by changing Netsphere access to only the handful of people who had Net Terminal Genes and then a bioweapon used by the percursors to the Silicon Life stopped anyone from registering as a pure human.

Despite all appearances, all the machines are doing exactly what they were designed to, it's just no-one can turn them off.

How does the Mechanicus view uploaded minds anyway?

is this the BLAME! movie? is it any good compared to the manga? what does it adapts from the story?
if any of you say it's not entirely shit then I know what I'm doing tonight.

Don't forget 10.

From what I've seen, it looks halfway decent. Even if it does cut out the Silicon Life. (Probably for simplicity)

So what does an STC look like? I've always thought they looked like floppy disks.

Nah, 40k is more like Dune in that there was a Butlerian Jihad-style space war against thinking machines. It's really robutts that are banned.

>is this the BLAME! movie?
Looks like it. I watched it on netflix and thought it was ok.

The main part it covers takes place over the course of maybe a week or two at most? Just enough to see what that particular part of the world is like.

>How does the Mechanicus view uploaded minds anyway?

Heresy...usually. Some of the old fluff has Imperial explorers discovering a planet full of people plugged into VR machines. The children are raised in RL and then plugged in later. It's destroyed as an abomination. There are one or two similar references in the fluff. There are also the Golephs from Dark Heresy, which are implied to be broken, distorted mind-copies tormented into piloting the killbot body.

But mind fusion in Titans leaves echoes and it's implied to be a good thing, and Pontius Glaw's upload uses proprietary Mechanicus technology.

It's not entirely shit, mainly because it focused on a very short section and not the whole thing.

I would like to know this too...

It was pretty good, it feels a bit like a mad max story in that Killy just wanders into some humans lives, helps them escape the safeguard, then moves on in his millennia long quest.

>a week or two at most
I have a bad feeling about this, just an elevator between two megastructures is like 256 years in the manga.

ok guys thanks, there go my sleep time.

I've heard this is less to do with dogmatic adherence to STCs and more with a well-grounded fear of experimentation. I cannot remember the source for the life of me, but I read that even things like the degrees of angles used in a weapon or vehicle's design can increase the risk of daemonic activity, something about each chaos god's favored number. It might have been something about daemonic whispers twisting the designs instead.

Regardless, if I lived in a universe where designing a more ergonomic lasgun grip or a more durable tank treat risked calling down a horde of unspeakable evil on my head, you can bet your ass that I wouldn't innovate shit unless I was 100% sure that someone else had done it before and he hadn't summoned a rape train in the process. If I headed the galaxy's R&D department, I'd make extra sure that no chucklefuck on some backwater gets to implement the new design they came up with after handling an ominous pulsing black orb.

Apart from all the research and innovation that high-ranking techpriests usually do. In the 7e dex it has a priest wanting to finish fighting Orks so he can start experimenting on servitorization of the corpses, Telok and Kotov did a shit ton of research in their cops-and-robber chase round the ghoul stars, Land spends a while coming up with new shit like the Archimandrite and the Custodes grav vehicles. The lower ranks aren't allowed to do that shit because there's a decent chance some fuckhead Enginseer will go "Look! I made a Higgs-grounding bomb!" and blow up the universe because he doesn't know what he's doing and how to avoid Chaos, but a much smaller proportion of the Admech are dogmatic idiots than the memes portray them as. It's like how only a few Guard generals actually ARE genocidal aristocratic slobs who throw their men heedlessly into meat grinders and Inquisitors don't actually fire off Exterminatus at every damn planet.

Diviso Genetor, bitches. Literally their stock-in-trade, they make cool monstrosities and sic them on people, including Space Marines and Corax's Raptors, zombie servitor cannon fodder and cyborg dinosaurs.

In Abnett's Sabbat Worlds series it's basically a giant 3D printer, in this case, one that starts to shit out Men of Iron once activated. Raw resources go in, glorious technology comes out. I think the floppy discs are more the 'printouts' that the Martians like to collect, whereas a functional STC just has a giant internal database of all human technology.

As in the template, or the system that creates them?

I dunno, I thought STC's use to be what amounted to blueprints. but now I guess they're like miniature factories.

There's two parts, the STC database, and the fabricator. AdMech creams itself at the hint of finding an intact specimen of either one.

With the former, they'd have the sub total of all human knowledge from the DAoT. With the latter, they could plug their existing STC schematics into it and churn out STC pattern equipment far, far faster than their current '10,000 servitors in a sweatshop' method of manufacture. They could build Leman Russes that don't make Necron overlords feel pity at how badly a brilliant design has been fucked up by inept construction techniques.

They're both. Men of Iron one was a massive 3D Robot Printer as previous poster said, designs in Mechanicum were just on data wafers. There's three tiers, increasingly valuable, and bear in mind that finding a Tier 3 even is rewarded with a fucking PLANET.

Tier 3 is blueprints, which can be followed for 100% safe gear that works as intended. Basically the 40k equivalent of getting a tech from a ruin in Fig 5. Least important although still immensely valuable and rare

Tier 2 is an actual Standard Template Construct Machine, which produces what you want as well as telling you how. Can also hold a whole bunch of Tier Threes, the Admech is currently fighting over one that holds every single possible design with a psychic component. If they secure and sanctify it, the Mechanicum can awaken and weaponize psykers in complete safety as well as make safe warp-weapons, which would basically jump them to "Masters of the Imperium" level instantly and probably completely fuck over Chaos and the Eldar. One-in-a-century find, if that, stuff like Gaunt's MoI STC, the Panacea and the Omnicicopeia.

Type 1 is a Standard Template CONSTRUCTOR, the original repositories of every technology known to man in the DaoT. None have been found, and they'd only be on Imperium core worlds near Terra since they're basically immobile. Finding and sanctifying one would basically solve all problems ever as the Mechanicus kick itself up to Dark Age power and starts laying thr and the smackdown.

It all takes place in a small area in a single storyline. No travel.

It is an abridged version of the Electrofishers storyline.

Also, the tanks are so far ahead of available tech and understanding and can only be produced with the template things. Trying to independently make something would be hugely inferior.

I wanna see Mechanicus encounter all the robots in Futurama.

>I've heard this is less to do with dogmatic adherence to STCs
It's not really even dogma, they outright don't really know how stuff works which is why they rely on the STCs.

>Finding and sanctifying one would basically solve all problems ever
>the Mechanicus kick itself up to Dark Age power

I think these are mutually exclusive. Dark Age humans had a weapon called a 'sun snuffer'. A Sun. Snuffer.

This is the fucking Adeptus 'What Does This Button Do?' Mechanicus we're talking about.

>magosbreakdown.jpeg

Well, it depends on how far back you go, and how inclusive you are.

The Standard Template Construct system was a computer which could come up with blueprints for anything you might want to build. From a spoon to a space cruiser. There also seem to have been automated factories also used to produce things from the systems, but this was not essential, since the plans could be followed with manual labour. (Of course, sometimes you'd need to have prior equipment, so said starcruiser would require you to first have the fusion engine, hull plating, computer systems, etc STC blueprints.)

Now, due to the adaptive nature of the software (based around local materials. So if you're on a world with very little titanium, it'd recommend different materials where possible), the designs would vary.

Then came the age of strife, the systems and factories stopped working, and people were just left with those blueprints that were printed out or otherwise replicated.
Over the millennia, these blueprints would be copied, recreated, and preserved, when they started to crumble. They'd become sacred relics as technology was forgotten, differences would creep in.

Combined with the previously mentioned divergences, this is the source of the various "patterns" of STC designs.
At its core, a Rhino is the same, no matter where it was built, or if it was built out of iron, titanium, some space metal, or even plywood.

The STCs themselves would probably be great, expansive blueprints, turned into illuminated manuscripts, written in some arcane mechanicus tongue, and drawn onto parchment.

Don't forget about that corrupted Castigator class titan STC, that could've been dope if grimdark hadn't got there first

Oh yes, there's also the rumoured Omnicopaeia, a collection of every STC blueprint relating to psychic technologies.
Stuff like psycannons, force weapons, psychic hoods, animus speculum, and even weirder shit.

There merest rumour of this storehouse of information, has got the Admech to prepare billions of skitarii to invade a daemonworld where it's supposed to be.

Because that's how much they want it.

Well, they're on data-wafers and cogitators and the "arcane tongues" are just advanced computer code, but yeah, pretty much this. Parchment mostly just for show given how much data they need to actually parse.

OK then, all OUTSIDE problems as they are rendered irrelevant from the sheer scale of the Mechanicus's squabbling. Can't say they still wouldn't fuck with each other, but it would probably help given they have a few spare suns.

They do make new gear and new types of ship, so obviously they DO know how stuff works, or at least some of them. There's plenty of lost tech and superweapons, but they've got their day-to-day stuff down well enough that Magi can Tony Stark together an Arc Rifle equivalent on the fly as happens in Forge of Mars. There's a reason all the one-of-a-kind toys are tucked away in Magos Wank Banks instead of on the battlefield, and a good few Mech cults have a penchant for research. The Xenarites, the Landists, the Divisio Genetor, the Ordo Reductor especially given their jobs and the Centurio Ordinatus have to do that since every Ordinatus is bespoke new tech that can shatter planetary crusts.

>or even plywood.

Here lies the heart of the problem I think, if the AdMech gets hold of a STC for a RH1N0, it's not neccesarily the peak design of the RH1N0, using full DAoT tech, it might be a version printed out by some stranded colonists who just needed a fast ride not a combat vehicle. So the STC printed out a design for something made of local, readily available materials that had the bullet-stopping capacity of a sponge, but were simple to manufacture. The AdMech would still build this because the STC is gospel, they'd never consider swapping the soft iron hull for something more resilient or practical for combat. They'd literally build it out of plywood if the STC said so.

They could even be splicing multiple STC fragments of the same design together, so you'd end up with some abomination of various different RH1N0 patterns used on half a dozen different worlds for different purposes, so the track unit might be lightweight and come from an STC printout that was used as a DAoT light exploration vehicle and isn't strong enough to reliably support the reinforced hull that comes from a printout found on a DAoT mining colony and was used to transport ore, whilst the hatch seals and engine come from a void-rated printout found on Luna and the seals are massively overdesigned for normal combat uses and consume far more resources than neccesary, whilst the engine is low-yield and only rated for low gravity worlds.

So the AdMech patches the different printouts together, 'discovers' the full RH1N0 design from the Dark Age and starts manufacturing what they think will be a Dark Age super-tank but is actually just slow, under-armoured, over-engineered and prone to breaking down. It's still better than anything they could design, but it explains why the Necrons look at Imperial vehicles and wonder how someone managed to fuck up building a tank so badly.

>I've heard this is less to do with dogmatic adherence to STCs and more with a well-grounded fear of experimentation. I cannot remember the source for the life of me, but I read that even things like the degrees of angles used in a weapon or vehicle's design can increase the risk of daemonic activity, something about each chaos god's favored number. It might have been something about daemonic whispers twisting the designs instead.

See, the thing is everyone quotes that shit, but no one can actually point to any example of when that sort of thing has actually happened.

Largely because it doesn't happen, because it makes no sense.

Consider this question: why would all of the STC designs be safe-proofed against Chaos? The STCs, and all of the templates designed for them, were thought up, built, sent out into the galaxy, and faded into lost knowledge ALL BEFORE Chaos became a serious problem for humans and things like demonic possession of objects was a concern. So what are the odds that every single STC template just magically avoids anything that could remotely be associated with the numbers 8, 9, 11, 4 and 5 at any point of reference in its construction?

Furthermore, if Chaos possession is THAT EASY, why doesn't it happen by accident literally everywhere? Someone on an agriworld piles some hay in a wagon, whoops four of the hundreds of pieces of straw are touching one another, I guess its a demon portal now!

The answer is as simple as it is obvious: that's all fucking bullshit. The AdMech uses the 'threat' of "whole worlds will totally blow up if anyone but us knows how to screw in a lightbulb, trust me you don't want to see what happens if you do it wrong" to discourage other people from learning that dangerous fact that building shit is something any dipshit can do.

Like, Landraiders are sanctioned and holy tech with its own machine spirit and everything, but those can be possessed. So whats the point?

> but it explains why the Necrons look at Imperial vehicles and wonder how someone managed to fuck up building a tank so badly.

"But if you have room temperature superconductors already-"

"I know, Zechriol. I know."

"LET ME FINISH. WHY WOULD YOU STILL USE CHEMICAL PROPELLANT? Like, fuck me, even the little blue shits have figured out electromagnetic weapons. Look, they have all of the parts of a good coilgun, but they put them in the fucking WHEELS for some reason instead of the armament. Or the computers, even. My god, this frictionless brake isn't even PLUGGED IN. The wire just goes into the wall here and... stops."

"Personally, I'm convinced its a kind of psychological warfare."

"I'm convinced they are just fucking idiots."

A lot of local forces, renegades, and mercenaries do.

However, they are usually inferior to STC tech, and/or made of inferior materials.

A major reason the Imperium focuses on STC tech whenever possible is because of logistics. Although there are numerous different makes, models, and variants of STC tech, 90% of those parts are largely interchangeable with one another, and can therefore be easily resupplied from anywhere the Imperium controls. Local vehicles only work locally because they lack the supply chains to effectively use them outside areas they directly control.

You can repair a Leman Russ virtually anywhere in the Imperium, but a Schafer Mk. III Assault Tank can only be repaired with parts from the planet Schafer, which HUGELY limits any possible benefits it might actually have over an STC design (which it likely wouldn't, as STC's were designed back when human tech was pretty hot shit).

Well that's why the STCs didn't save the Dark Age of Technology humans. The most effective ones were corrupted by Chaos, like the Castigator Titan.

There was also STC for an ancient pattern of Titan, which became self-aware and then turned itself into an apex Titan that made even Eldar Titans look like giant bitches.

>See, the thing is everyone quotes that shit, but no one can actually point to any example of when that sort of thing has actually happened.

Quite a few ships and designs have been explicitly mentioned as being extremely prone to falling to Chaos, such as the Repulsive-class Grand Cruiser and the Slaughter-class Cruiser.

>but it explains why the Necrons look at Imperial vehicles and wonder how someone managed to fuck up building a tank so badly.

Trazyn actually controlled a Leman Russ tank and thought to himself how the tank was a pinnacle of technology that had been crippled due to inferior repair jobs and patchwork understanding of how it functioned.

>Someone on an agriworld piles some hay in a wagon, whoops four of the hundreds of pieces of straw are touching one another, I guess its a demon portal now!
This is exactly what happens actually. It's why chaos has such an easy time corrupting everything; they can be summoned on accident by so many things.

To be fair, nobody pretends the Russ is a masterful work of engineering. Fucking GUARD can repair it, it has to be simple, and the Mechanicum vehicles are better to the point that Xana has been known to integrate Necron tech without effort before they went full DarkMech, and Stygies V has been trying.

Still, I really want more of this, it's hilarious. Trazyn, couple other'crons and perhaps Anacharis Scoria and his reverse-engineered Necrontech gear sitting back and shit talking the Imperium's tech over a nanite-repair-fluid and coke.

Yeah, but Trazyn is a humaboo

Social media

Turning it on and off again.

Trying to put the male end in, failing, turning it 180 degrees, failing, turning it 180 again, succeeding.

Actual AI

Nah, they have their own on the noosphere.

Belisarius Cawl.

Too bad he has Papa Smurf in his corner.

Just finished watching it, it's a mix between all the main arcs minus the two last ones.
it probably has the best visuals I ever saw, and even with a dumbed down story they try to bring all the details and lore from the manga and the OSs (I think I even found a reference to the pilot chapter, does that mean it's canon?), minus the protoraces like the silicons and the more complex safeguard levels +toha heavy industries.
>tmw they tried to balance killy and he becomes nearly useless, they gave him NSE powers to compensate but he does nearly nothing, he never ever does his "I'm fucking lost" face or ask anything like in the manga
>tmw fishermen are just normal humans instead of dwarfs
>tmw no biopunk shit
>tmw they buffed sana-kan a fucking lot instead of putting the colossal safeguard
>tmw no builder-cibo vs said colossal safeguard
still could be a lot worse, and with the fact that cibo exists fucking everywhere it could be a standalone story before the plot hooks to a precise quest.

It's mostly just that none of the other Archmagi have heard of the motherfucker and he shows up, says he's been here all along, and then snaps his fingers and poofs a million new and "improved" Space Marines complete with obvious Tau/Necron reverse engineered weaponry, vehicles and equipment.

Underrated

How long would the city last in 40k if if was teleported into the Solar system?

I bet the Evangelions would be Heretek as fuck.

The Imperium isn't really capitalistic both because its extremely fascist and extremely bureacratic

Want to start a company? Have fun pushing permissions and grants through your local Administratum. They should get back to you within the next standard century if they don't just outright lose your paperwork amidst the billions of tons of preexisting files.

But hey congrats they finally got back to your great great grandchildren and approved your request. So you decide to make a manufacturing company by first opening a factory on a decently sized industrial world. Keep in mind that if you're anywhere close to a forge world you're never going to have a prayer of moving your company off-world. You just can't possibly compete with a factory the size of an entire planet.

Only a crusade was launched half a sector over, so now all your property has been requisitioned to provide arms and armaments for the Guard. If you had any employees then they're now basically slaves, if not outright conscripted, and if you're not valuable enough to serve as administrator then you're gonna be working right alongside them.

Should the crusade end within the next few centuries, the descendants of your descendants might somehow still have some semblance of proof that there was once a company their family owned. Ignoring the fact that they would have to deal with the Administratum, which puts this all back to zero, the company is now back into your family's hands. You decide to get out of the manufacturing business and go into agriculture, growing and distributing crops on a quiet little agri-world. You find some success because your crops grow much faster and produce much more yield than your competitors. You attribute this to the Emperor smiling on your family after having suffered so much misfortune.

Only your jealous competitors report you to the Inquisition for using heretical xenostech to increase crop yield. Your entire family is wiped out within the week.

>obvious Tau/Necron reverse engineered weaponry
Tau reverse-engineered their tech from derelict Ark Mechanicus on their moon, of course there are going to be similarities. A plasma gun is a plasma gun is a plasma gun no matter who built it because the underlying science doesn't change.

>The Imperium isn't really capitalistic both because its extremely fascist
>fascist
I think you mean feudal

anything Mars wants to keep hidden for whatever reason (the magos don't know how it works, the magos can't be sure is not some xenos trap, or the magos don't want you to have good stuff)