Flames of War General: Conscript Assault Rating Edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Other urls found in this thread:

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5076
mega.nz/#!noNB2BhD!hMra1W9Esvp-qSOwjOUqxxal9YFm5cFFHQcav7tvdus
youtube.com/watch?v=ia63Ca7b4AA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you boys ready

So NATO is getting the everloving shit kicked out of it in the online Firestorm: Red Thunder campaign. So are Soviets fixed and completely fine? I'll let you look through some of the battles yourself but some of the things that humoured me were:

>50 point battles
>Americans getting seal clubbed
>One guy beating his mate 6 times in a row
>Getting points of units completely wrong. (Guess the cards aren't helping...)
>Parking lots

I guess NATO players just don't know how to play.
Warsaw pact for good players ONLY

it is possible the T-64 wielding WarPac guys had a plan, got fired up fast, and came down hard on the unsuspecting NATO guys, who were thinking this was a fun campaign.

meanwhile, in Warsaw:
>"YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING GAME!?"

i am not presently involved, so it's not like i can just get up and rally the Germans.
If the Milan-players think they are bad-asses, then maybe they should play like bad-asses.

burning car parks or GTFO, as we say on the 'chan.

The WarPac guys got organized and started clubbing the poor American players at their shop before people with decent Brit or west german lists could respond. Not seeing too much of any T-64s in these batreps.

i was right! i have seen plenty of mass-campaigns go to the side that was better organized, the lists be damned.
so, the soviets are using T-72 and BMP to hammer the Capitalists in unison?

>using the simplified map

The official one has a lot more territories to fight over.

>flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5076
>We have a lot going on with Team Yankee this year with Red Thunder giving Soviet players a larger range of options and Stripes is doing the same for the Americans later this year (including the much anticipated M113 Scout Platoons with both the Scout and Spearhead special rules!). Stripes will feature new plastic kits including the M60 (both the A1 and A3 variants), LAV (with the -25, -AT with TOW missiles and the –M mortar carrier), the HMMWV and the UH-1 Huey (with both the Army and Marine variants).

4 new plastics? Even with no Bradley american players have no right to bitch after this.

>No Blackhawks
>No Bradleys

Man what's even the point without your badly made copy of the BMP and the second coolest helicopter in the world?

>yay, card boxes possible?
>Hammerfall is El-Alamein: 2 M1's and 3 T64
>Plastic UH1 means 101st?
>literal movie objective
>no plas.infantry to go with tanks/hueys
>NAM' pic at the bottom,
>2nd weekly briefing for AiW
>and one more thing....

i don't know how to feel
>we did need a Bradley recon platoon over a M113 scout
i should solve this with sleep and alcohol....

So plastic humvees confirmed, neat.

>m60, turret armor 250mm
>t-72, turret armor RHA 270mm (according to TY book), having FA 16.
So I expect FA value of M60 is 15.

So let me get this right. The Soviets get 2 new plastics, one being essentially a delayed release for the DDR. I know the soviets are also getting plastic infantry, but we still aren't sure if they are hard plastic or the mudmen soft plastic. They part and parceled out the BRDM-2 based kits (which are expensive as hell, just buy the old glory one) so you have no ability to mix and match options.

Now the US get 4 new plastics including an LAV with 3 variants, a tank with 2 variants, a Humvee with at least 2 variants, and a helicopter with 2 variants? What the fuck?

Also it's pretty funny that Hammerfall even exists. Apparently they think the sales from people buying 5 El Al boxes will translate over to Team Yankee. Hard to believe that this is the same company that put out Open Fire.

CHEERS

literal drooling retard here, which movie is it?

V A L U E

I SHOP AT HOME DEPOT.

But what about M1A1s? I mean it is on sprue.

>that Vietnam teaser at the bottom

Pretty hyped for "Nam.

VALUE IS NOT PRICE

t. economics degree

BF forgot that they did that. You'll need to but the NEW VALUE ADDED M1A1 BOX to get the unit cards.

V A L U E
A
L
U
E

What's left for 'Nam at this point? A Fall of the South Book?

British Battle Tanks: British-made tanks of World War II (Osprey General Military)

Plagued by unreliable vehicles and poorly thought-out doctrine, the early years of World War II were years of struggle for Britain's tank corps. Relying on tanks built in the late 1930s, and those designed and built with limited resources in the opening years of the war, they battled valiantly against an opponent well versed in the arts of armoured warfare. This book is the second of a multi-volume history of British tanks by renowned British armour expert David Fletcher MBE. It covers the development and use of the Matilda, Crusader, and Valentine tanks that pushed back the Axis in North Africa, the much-improved Churchill that fought with distinction from North Africa to Normandy, and the excellent Cromwell tank of 1944-45. It also looks at Britain's super-heavy tank projects, the TOG1 and TOG2, and the Tortoise heavy assault tank, designed to smash through the toughest of battlefield conditions, but never put into production.

mega.nz/#!noNB2BhD!hMra1W9Esvp-qSOwjOUqxxal9YFm5cFFHQcav7tvdus

>literal drooling retard here, which movie is it?

Stripes. A military comedy movie starring Bill Murray and Harold Ramis, who would both later go on to star in the original Ghostbusters.

>Another Osprey about British tanks
Fuck yeah

The Easter Offensive is hands down the best part of the war in terms of FOW playability.

Private Benjamin expansion when?

I must admit I've never seen Private Benjamin.

You forgot to mention that another excellent comedian of the 1980s is in it, John Candy.

Although I can see why you'd focus on Murray and Ramis.

Also, I think Ivan Reitman, the director and producer of Stripes, would eventually fill the same roles on Ghostbusters.

The movie is actually kind of funny and rather sweet
I watched the tv series as a kid because I had a huge crush on Lorna Paterson
In all seriousness it is, like Stripes, an interesting snapshot of the public view of the US Army in the immediate post-Vietnam period

I will not buy psc product if there are bf plastic counterpart is exists.
Their tooling is awful, needs careful trimming because their parts not fits well togethe and have bad surfaces, big flash and deep mould lines. You can't even rotate turrets of psc vehicles unless you trim the pin of turret or magnetize it by cutting the pin and drilling a hole at the right size of the magnet. A work takes long times and produces many dust.
It takes 45 minutes to an hour to build a psc vehicle when BF one needs less than 15 minutes.
Also their parts break much easily while BF products are sturdy.
Psc kits do not have decals while BF plastics have decals when they needs.
Many psc kits can be built in variation but having many variations is not important to me because most of BF products have all the needed variation in their game.
I do not insist things like "We need to support the company", and will buy psc one if there is no option like t55.
But when both of psc and bf plastic kit exists I will choose BF one because it saves my time and shows me better result. It is worth than save $3 per vehicle.

Depends on the kit to be honest. There are certainly PSC kits that are fiddly, but the generalizations you make don't apply across every kit. I primarily buy Battlefront plastic when given the option because I like the detail that comes from the bulkier scale. Time to build and issues with kits varies from kit to kit. I can build a PSC T-34 faster than a Battlefront one,even with multi-part tracks, because Battlefront put T H I C C sprue connections right on the edges of the T-34 turret which makes them an absolute bitch to clean.

Yeah but the paper hull is only around 100mm at 64 degrees

Yeah it makes me feel really bad since it seems BF will never do something a good as Open Fire

Yeah, didn't stop battlefront giving the Chieftain stupidly overrated armor.

>cue the Curb Your Enthusiasm music

True, fuck the Cheersmonster

Open Fire was a blatant copy of a Games Workshop level "half an army for both sides" starter set.

The gaming industry as a whole however seems to have moved away from that, with X-wing style "a handful of toys" starter sets and slightly larger "another core platoon or two" style army booster sets.

Games Workshop's own "Start Collecting" sets are pretty much exactly what the various Team Yankee and Mid-War 4th Edition army sets have been based on.

Yet GW release both kind of starters.

I'm just trying to get inside the heads of the guys at Battlefront, and that's the best I can come up with.

*shrug*

And Games Workshop can do practically anything because they're almost too big to fail.

But look at the X-wing or Armada starter in the context of the size of games you actually play. The starter gives you the basics, so you can learn the rules and get a feel for them in a scale that is smaller than the actual game, but not like orders of magnitude. Two armada or x-wing starter sets get you to the small end of what you would consider a normal sized game. El Alamein is much much smaller, and only gets new player acclimated to scooting a tank around the table and shooting.

Well, you're not wrong.

I don't fully understand El Alamein or Hammerfall either, other than to say they wanted a small affordable X-Wing-like starter set.

Now granted, that doesn't get you nearly as far in FoW or TY as that gets you with X-Wing, but that's probably what they were going for. A small affordable buy-in that shows off the basic game mechanics.

As for a larger starter, I feel that as long as you know what army you want to play, their current army boxes are pretty decent. I still use everything that I've gotten in the various US, Soviet, and West German starter boxes I've purchased for Team Yankee.

The closest Open Fire equivalent I can think of, would simply be to have both players buy a one-army starter box.

Although that wouldn't be anywhere near as affordable as Open Fire.

Open Fire was an absolute *steal* for the amount of minis, tokens, cardboard terrain, and dice that you got in that box.

Open fire was such a superb way of getting into V3.
Sadly this wasn't enough for the people in my area.
But i have people who want to try team yankee before they buy into it and i kill for a team yankee open fire

Really this is where Games Workshop is getting it right. They've got three separate starter boxes out, a small one that's just one squad each of Chaos and Imperials, one that's an additional two squads for Imperials and an Officer, a Vehicle and a squad for Chaos. Then there's the big ass Dark Imperium Box that has basically the core of two separate armies, like Open Fire.

Really if Battlefront was going to copy Geedubs, this is where they should copy them.
Hammerfall is fine as it is, then slap us up with, 'Sickle Stroke' Which builds two Platoons each and maybe some artillery. Then bring us a full Team Yankee box that is basically Open Fire but TY.

PSC should do a Bradley kit.

Everyone knew it was coming, user. It's the same as ever.

It's a nice idea.

I doubt they ever commit to that many levels of starter sets, but it's a nice idea.

That is something that suprised me about GW when the other day i was looking at the store.

i really like how they make 3 "tiers" for their starters for both W40k and Sigmar, how they treat them as mini boardgames. I hate to admit it but i ended buying the small one of Sigmar and is really useful to as gifts or to make demos.

I would love El Alamein and Hammerfall if they were the cheaper version of an actual starter so i could treat it as a mini-boardgame to play with my no wargamers friends to take interest in the actual game.

It's certainly an idea, and kinda what they tried to do with TANKS, but that game never really took off.

Building Beobachtungspanzer M-113

Meme corps bmp

Painted in NATO tricolor

Played against the DDR with my PanzerAufklarungs unit, and it was fun. Dealing with massive Zerg forces was exhausting though. Opponent had 20 tanks all broken into minimum sized platoons, 13 BMPs with associated infantry broken up into 2 groups, Shilkas, 4 Hinds with infantry, and 4 frogfoots. I had 7 Leo 1s, 3 Leo 2s, 4 Gepards with redeyes, 8 luchs, and 2 Fuchs aufklarungs teams.

Got a bad roll on the mission table with breakthrough. I positioned myself so that my opponent would have to come around the flank delaying most of his assault. Killed 9 platoons, but one of his T-72Ms on the objective survived 4 Leopard 1 shots to the face and 4 Gepard shots to the flank. The rest of his forces overwhelmed me after that turn bought them the time they needed to move in.

How do you deal with the East German Zerg rush? I have no idea how you'd roll all the required dice in a 2 hour tournament scenario.

I mean this with air and 2 additional units in reserve not pictured. This is at 80 points.

Game is perfectly balanced
Cheers

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=ia63Ca7b4AA

Honestly, a lot of it comes down to positioning and concealment.

As long as you can hit him, but he can't easily hit you back, you should be able to take decent chunks of his army out each turn.

But yeah, it's a Zerg Rush.

Nicely done.

To be fair, IMO the small starter content with 3 vs 2 tanks is perfect for teaching basic mechanics.
From that point, you can get 2 of the army box starters for the same cost as a Dark Imperium set but with actual choice for factions (once enough factions are out).

It's a practical setup.

I agree. Hammerfall is not about selling a bunch of minis for cheap. It's a low cost impulse buy type item for prospective players to dip their little toe into TY with the most minimal investment possible.

Yup.

Most of my FoW V4 demos have been with El Alamein or equivalent forces.

In fact, I'd also made equivalent US and Soviet forces with homebrew stat cards.
Lee with long 75mm and 2 M5 Stuarts for the US (Confident Trained) and a T-34/76 and 2 T-70s (Fearless Trained, H&C) for the Soviets.

R8 my weathering

Was the tank in a salt flat where a sand storm stripped all the paint off, then buried all but the turret, which rusted off due to the salinity and a rare spell of humidity?

They're making a tank sandcastle and using a log for the barrel, come on man.

Sandcastle? It looked more like a snow-fort to me.

I bet Rommel did this

Those look like afrikakorp uniforms (or PSC spare figures painted to look like afrikakorps), so I assumed sand.

That's some dirty sand if it's a snow-fort.

I love this. The man standing on it is rather brave though.

So these are some of my obsolete teams by V4. Instead of whining about it I'm going to retool them.
>observer teams with rifles makes good sniper teams
>staff team rebased on large base to make an objective
>Arty cmnd as a HQ team
What do you think? I'd love some more ideas.

WAR

HOOOH

WHAT IS IT GOOOOD FOR

Looks great

nice. i like the optimism. and, it shows your creativity.

awesome! see my pic related, i hope you do a better job than i did!

well spoken.
seconded.
fuck the 5-tank micro-starters!

>mfw mudmen plastic

i am fucking stoked for that objective

wow that conversion's awesome

I want to make a Canadian army in team yankee. I know there's options for canadian models out there, should I just use American unit cards? or is there going to be official canadians from BF eventually

There are some unofficial leaf rules floating around.

There are unofficial unit cards that have popped up here and there across the internet, but there's nothing official yet.

If you want to go mostly official, a West German list from the Panzertruppen booklet can get you pretty close.

The infantry is mounted in US M113s, and their MBT is the a slight variation on the German Leopard 1.

Wow i didn't even bother to look up what they actually used, I had just assumed there wasn't BF models of them. Thanks!

I'm thinking of a "defense of Alaska from the Soviets" styled Canadian force, with snow camo and US allied support. Does that make any sense?

I don't know enough about the US and Canadian militaries and any potential cooperation between the two to have any idea if that makes any sense.

Although it certainly sounds very cool.

All I know is that canada and the us has very close cooperation between their militaries.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN

Can anyone recommend some good documentaries about the Cold War?

I'll take regular filmn too if they depict the era without too much movie bullshit

Deutschland 83 is a pretty good drama about East German Spies, it's in Subtitled German. There's a great scene where the spy is presented with a Floppy Disc "The report is on a plastic, square thing."

YEA
WHAT IS IT GOOOD FO

Literally "The Cold War" from 1998

sweet Ill check it out

Well, for one thing, NORAD is a joint US-Canadian project, even if it's mostly controlled by the US.

it is Saturday morning

who is amassing armies for war?

I'm probably going to be spending most of the day editing Panzerfunk.

I'm currently at 100% on Acts 1 & 2, and about 20% into Act 3. With some work I could be finished tonight or tomorrow.

Saturday evening, so watching some virtual divegrass and working on a roster poll.

Haven't played FoW since 3rd edition like 6 years ago, I was only about 15 but it was some of the best experiences I've had in tabletop gaming.

Is it worth getting back into FoW 4th edition? I'm looking to remake my SS pgren company, where do I start?

>Is it worth getting back into FoW 4th edition?
That answer is going to vary wildly depending on who you ask and what time period you're looking at.

>I'm looking to remake my SS pgren company, where do I start?
Late War SS panzergrens? The current lists for them are in Grey Wolf and Ardennes Offensive. Early war I don't know, and if you're looking at mid war you're out of luck, we just have generic panzers at the moment.

Yeah just Late War SS Pgrens last time I had a 12.SS from Cobra.. Man those days were comfy af

Those are probably in Atlantik Wall now. The various smaller books with two sides got compressed into large single-side hardbacks. The big ones for Germany are Atlantik Wall (D-day and followup), Bridge by Bridge (Market Garden), Ardennes Offensive (self explanatory), Fortress Italy (Italian Front), and Grey Wolf (Eastern Front). There's also four books that haven't been compressed into a big book yet, generally dealing with forces in the final desperate months of the war: Desperate Measures (eastern front '45), Berlin (obvious), Nachtjager (supposed to be all northern germany vs brits, but the NV equipment was only confirmed in use on the eastern front), and Bridge at Remagen (last attempts to stop the US). There's some reports that Battlefront is going to make one last big compilation of those small books, with the same pointing and stats as all the other large books instead of making it the only LW book pointed and statted for V4 (so that it doesn't add its own imbalance factors to the existing edition conversion ones)

don't be too dismayed
V4 is literally just patch rules for the EW/LW books, so, expect some wonk.

it helps to have some kind of 'army sheet' written down, so you can see the stats with the adjustments naturally in place.

i made this.

Oooh. Nice template. I'll have to fill a few of those out for the units I use on a regular basis.

HOME DEPOT
O
M
E

D
E
P
O
T

Why is this a meme now?

Just because some idiot with a poor grasp on economics spouted nonsense on the official forums, that doesn't automatically make it funny.