ITT We Introduce Mental Illnesses To RPG

Putting together a list of mental illnesses characters can have that effect their abilities both positively and negatively. Here's a few examples.

Anorexia: You can fit into tight spaces.

Autism: Charisma counts as its lowest possibility, but intelligence is boosted.

Dyslexia: Cannot read.

ADD: Every wisdom check is rolled with disadvantage.

Schizophrenia: The GM can give you advice in the form of creepy voices in your head, sometimes helpful, sometimes not.

Alzheimers: Your wisdom decreases over time?

People with Dyslexia can read though.

Struggles to read then?

Psychopath: bonus in fear and charisma tests, penalties in wisdom tests.

Psychosis: doesn't feel pain and/or suffers from debuffs, but also has a heavy penalty to iniative.

It also could give you visions. Sometimes prophetic, sometimes complete bogus.

I want to see someone do something with depression, for personal reasons.

ADHD: No effect

I don't think any of you have any fucking clue how mental illnesses work outside of Hollywood.

My sides.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how mental illnesses work.

Gender dysphoria aka Transsexualism is a very popular one.

But according to the DSM-V, which introduced usage of the term Gender Dysphoria, it's not a mental illness.

Pure politics. Heres how the mayo clinic defines 'Mental illness'
>Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in thinking, emotion or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities.

Dysphoria fits that perfectly. It's obviously an illness because it requires treatment.

LGBT: You contract HIV and die in 10 years.

>Dyslexia: Cannot read.
>Implying

No, no, no.

Schizophrenia: You always know where and when danger is going to strike at you. You can never be ambushed. Also advantage to all intimidation checks.

Schizophrenia is a fucking godsend when you live in a dangerous neighborhood.

Doesn't Shadowrun have rules for Bipolar and MPD?

Top jej

Isn't that hypervigilance or something? Or a healthy dose of paranoia and, it seems, a lot of tactical experience.

Schitzos just have a fantasy view and understanding of the world, and it's often not followed by hallucinations. Some believe the world's a great place and everyone's nice, some believe that the government snipers are always aiming at them.

The main deal is that schitzos can not function in a regular world and can't hold down a 9-5 job because their delusions overtake them. Hard to pack boxes when there's ninja assassins around.

Chris Chan-renia.

You have NO dexterity, agility or charisma...or any skills really.

You are a useless blob.

Lots of schizophrenic people hold down jobs and function perfectly fine in society though. It's not like you can really tell, they don't tend to wear badges.

OP: You feel compelled to propagate your dangerously-misinformed ideas regarding mental illness as if they were unadulterated perfect truth.

Autism: OP continues as usual.
Mental Retardation: OP continues as usual.
Homosexuality: OP continues as usual.

OP you are so dumb lol

Depression: Penalty to willpower. Each day you must perform a willpower test. If you succeed, your character commits suicide.

Ye it's hypervigilance, which can also happen alongside bipolar, PTSD, or even OCD. Mind you, it's a symptom and not necessarily it's own thing

But what if it wasn't a change?

>lol

>Dyslexia: Cannot read.
Positive to this obviously is you can't get influenced by dark manuscripts inscribed with the will of eldritch horrors.

You can be born with Schizophrenia and ARE born with Autism, would you argue those aren't mental illnesses?

Frankly, I'd argue even homosexuality is a mental disorder, as it's a deviation from normal sexual function. It's simply one that treatment isn't required, so no need to worry about it.
t. ex-trap that swings both ways.

Schizoid Personality Disorder: Roll willpower to stop yourself from becoming a wizard

Schizotypal Personality Disorder: Roll willpower to stop yourself from believing in wizards

As a mental health professional. These are all bullshit...but fun.

>Delusional Psycosis: You get 'creative' insights grom the GM. 80% of them prove to be wrong

>Manic Depressive: 50% chance you dont sleep for a week and get +5 Diplomacy and bluff. 50% chance you get -8 dex and -5 cha

>obsessive disorder. Roll on a random table. You literally need that thing...all the time or you think you will die, like water, or balls of poop in your pocket.

>commpulsive disorder: tell everyine you meet the longest damn holy book passage you beleive in 110%

Autism is a mental disability
Schitzophrenia is a mental illness

Potato Potahto

Far from it. You can treat the sysmptoms of mental illness like schitzophrenia with medication, autism, retardation and the like can only be improved via understanding, classes, training. While similar they can not be lumped together because they are ultimatly two diffrent abnormalitys of the human brain

If the gag is HIV then it should be disadvantage on constitution saving throws

In this instance I was strictly referring to it as an abnormal mental state, rather than specifics of treatment. So yes it is potato potahto.

I didnt say you were incoreect calling both mental abnormalitys. Just noting they are not the same thing. Its an important enough distinction to surmount a simple tuber analogy. Like sportz cars amd tractors. Both have engines, two totally diffrent purposes.

>Autism: Charisma counts as its lowest possibility, but intelligence is boosted.
Autistic people generally have below average intelligence.

Free skill focus then

Depends. Look at mild high functioning autists like Temple Grandin. If you've ever eaten a steak you have her to thank for it being probably two thirds of what it would have costed otherwise, she revolutionized the slaughterhouse assembly (disassembly?) line.

I said generally. Idiot savants are a thing, and I'm sure there are high-functioning autists who are literal geniuses. Most autists, however, tend to have slightly below average intelligence.

Yes but in terms of games, that "depends" means that your probably going to go with something that has a drawback and a boon with flavor, rather than just a drawback with flavor.

In terms of games, if we're modeling mental illnesses as something you can pick at character creation, it's probably a drawback and you get extra points or a feat/some other kind of boon from picking it without the boon being tied to a specific illness.

Introduce? It's been done before.

Why not just use afflictions from Darkest Dungeon

Rolled 935 (1d1000)

Now roll d1000, Veeky Forums.

>ex-trap
What happened?

I have a more masculine face and got tired of hiding that, and got somewhat chubby after I broke up with my ex boyfriend.
I'm going to settle for an ottermode twink when I get the time to go to the gym anyways.
Also after having been hanging around trannies online and offline for a while now I realize that 4/5 times they're horrible people in one way or another. Either their entire personality revolves around sex/gender, or they're psychotic assholes. I don't want to be tangentially associated with those people.

ITT: People who have never heard of Delta Green.

This.

Honestly, mechanical rules for mental illness are 99% guaranteed to be shitty and insulting.

We're on Veeky Forums. All our games have mental illnesses.