/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/gencon50exclamation-mark-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
How would you run a game set in Mexico?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Czj7SyPNRto
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how do you defeat powerful Temenos based Goetia without bruteforcing the bugger?

Jesus Christ will I ever be able to avoid animeposters?

Build a wall to keep Sabbat criminals out of the United States

Make the Camarilla great again!

triggered much?

>How would you run une partie set in Mexico?
Recreate cartel wars as supernatural conflicts in the shadows, with splat names pasted over cartel names.

First for Changeling Supremacy

I've never been to Mexico, so I might avoid it, especially if I have any players from there.

Otherwise, police corruption and gangs like crazy. Geist game, or werewolf game.

WoD and anime have been inseparable since there was a VtM clan inspired by 3x3 Eyes.

The Lasombra?

The Salubri, which are basically "I want to play Pai but a Vampire." The healer/warrior split might even be inspired by the Pai/Pavarti personalities as well, but that's even more rampant speculation.

Sounds more like the Lasombra.

There are "humans" in this thread that believe Irraka can match the might and splendor of a Cahalith.

What claw do they use that is better? Pinky Claw?

End of Story and Natural Disaster. Enough said

Anybody here ever heard of a video game called Skullgirls? It'll probably work as pretty good inspiration for Deviant. But what could the playable characters be in the CoD besides Deviants?

I don't play a whole lot of fightin gaems but when I do I sure as hell don't play Tumblr fighter

I mean, yeah a few of them are definitely deviant designs. Before deviant was announced I would have called them Prometheans and Changelings.

You have people who are sewn back together, or seem to have returned from the dead in some way. The others just seem so fantastical as to be unnatural. Like the girl who looks like an early cartoon, that is changeling material

Though some are more mundane. The spy girl is just a hunter with good gadgets, maybe TFV or Cheiron.

The only question that matters is... wth is Big Band?

How come woofs can't eat spirits for essence? If I ever play a forsaken game that is one change I will make.

Perhaps you should read the rules, trollposter.

I was going to say, can't they? I thought it was one of their essence recovery methods.

And at higher levels of primal urge, it's literally all they can eat to gain sustenance.

How are werewolves in the sack?

They're animals in the sack.

werewolf girls are infinitely better than vampshit girls. fact.

There is a wolf-blooded power that makes them irresistible, which is one of those hilarious 'only if your game can handle it' sort of things. Anytime they sweat, anyone who smells or tastes it, wants a trip to pound town.

Like the rules don't say it, but these wolfblooded are pretty much there to be breeders. Keep one in your pack, then when someone needs to let off some stress after a bad hunt or something, send stinky susan into the gym with them and wait for everyone to come out looking refreshed.

I hear they're a real animal in bed.

You are an idiot. The change Uratha really need is access to aggravated damage that almost all splats have including adept mages, sin eaters and even vamps. Of course this is just my suggestion and names are placeholders
New 5 renown gift know as Weapons of the Father
>Purity Facet is Jaws of the Father. "Of all of Father Wolves weapons his powerful jaws was his most feared." Very high single target aggravated melee range damage
>Cunning Facet is talons of the Father. "Normal wolves aren't known for using their claws as weapons. However Father Wolf is no ordinary wolf". High single target aggravated melee range damage leaves a DoT
>Glory Facet is Howl of the Father. "Father Wolf's terrifying howl was so powerful it was known to sunder mind and spirit." Medium aoe aggravated damage. Exceptional success prevents targets from concentrating
>Wisdom Facet is Spirit of the Father. "Father Wolf in his great wisdom realized that even his essence can be used as a weapon." Expel essence to fire a beam of pure spirit energy from the mouth. Does low to high single target aggravated damage at range depending on how much essence you spend
>Honor Facet is Judgement of the Father. "Father Wolf not only hunted but he Judged those who broke his Iron Law". Judges a target if found guilty all sources of damage dealt to the target inflicts 2 bonus aggravated damage

I am not sure about the cunning or honor facets. If any of you guys have suggestions I am willing to hear them.

>hairy
If that's what you're into I guess

There's a five dot rite that gives a pack aggravated damage already.

youtube.com/watch?v=Czj7SyPNRto

Wolf girls are cute user

Really? What is it?

Is this an attack? Are you trying to give me a seizure?

Urfarah's bane. Lasts until the next sunrise, agg damage to werewolves. Complements their agg damage to spirits from rank.

I just like cute wolf girls

Oh it only works on werewolves? I think my idea is more fun mechanically and more useful since it works on everything.

So just bolt on "everything" instead of werewolves, but that's up to you.

Aggravated is overall hard to get in this system by design. Likewise healing damage is still tricky.

Werewolves have the advantage of just shitting out a lot of damage without much investment. and they can take a shit ton of damage, with their regen. As a combat splat they're in a good place.

I would suggest just making a rite that gives them agg in some form. Like but in a general case. So it's more thematic and plot important. I will say straight up aoe agg damage is shit broken idea.

>How come woofs can't eat spirits for essence?

They can.

That's stupidly OP. Reminds me of something though.
>First Class (•)
>Prerequisite: Werewolf
>Effect: When in the general vicinity of a vampire, a werewolf always does aggravated damage to anyone they attack. On an exceptional success while attacking a vampire, targets with Blood Potency lower than the werewolf's Primal Urge are instantly vaporized.
>Drawback: To take advantage of the power the merit offers, werewolves have been known to go into battle with vampires strapped to their backs, forcing opponents to kill the creature before the werewolf kills them.

Baby carrier vampires.

Tumblr fighter? Have you seen how much fanservice Skullgirls has? If anything, Tumblr would bitch about it objectifying women or whatever. Hell, even the male Beowulf is pretty much a bara.

Big Band (and Peacock) could either be Demons or Prometheans. If they are Demons, their weird appearances are Glitches. If they are Prometheans, their weird appearances are Disfigurements.

I remember some 'fans' getting pissy when they redid some animations, and the redid animation removed some panty shots.

Clearly this is because of the SJW boogeyman .Even though most of the characters have no idea what pants are and wear tight or revealing clothing.

Working more on the idea for a Pacific Northwest sept spanning across the US and Canadian border. Tell me if this sounds too much; one of the Caerns is staunch in the hands of the Black Furies. The ruling Elder and her pack there have several smaller packs of Furies and Children of Gaia working for them, and their mission statement is to moonbridge over into war torn regions to rescue women and children, refugees, and give them shelter and food to live off of. In exchange, they also train the children (girls) how to fight and use weaponry so they will always be able to defend themselves.

Sounds pretty benign, right? Most of the ancillary packs believe they are doing a Good Thing. However.. the Fury elder is actually using them to amass an army of loyal and zealous undocumented child soldiers she can use to commit acts of (domestic) terrorism back in the states and Canada, and abroad as well by passing them off again as refugees. She is not Wyrm tainted yet but clearly has a fucked up agenda that the PCs will have to come to terms with.

Sound good so far?

>sounds interesting until
>apocalypse
Dropped

So how exactly DOES the Toreador weakness work?

You've got Sculpture as your art type, are walking down the street and eyeball a sculpture, then, bam, you're standing there doing your best "fucking retard" impression until you spend willpower?

This.
I would be happier if aggravated damage was harder to get outside specific circumstances as a whole for everyone.

Except Mages obviously

I feel like .
I just like that Forsaken is less bound to it's 90s EXXTREME fight the man with terrorism roots.

Looking at mages in particular. Super easy aggravated for every single arcana including time and fate somehow for little to no cost.

They get it at 4 dots of an arcana right? Am I remembering that right?

Or was it just a reach?

Because Forsaken dropped that campy nonsense is why it's so much better. Apocalypse is literally a rob liefield drawing in table top form

Reach and one mana at 4 dots.

Is reading through the V20 corebook enough to get my head around trying to run a game if I've never played before or am I going to be swamped with players with preconceived notions and metaplot knowledge that I'm not hip to/prepared for?

That seems okay.

If that is the case, that is probably the only extra thing the spell is doing. Because they will spend a reach to make it instant, and then need a reach to make it agg damage. There goes all the easy reach. They need to have lifted their gnosis (to 3? or is it just 2) to even get to 4 dots in an arcana. Plus if they try to attach anything more, they actually risk paradox (which they will just absorb because Paradox is a baby now, but whatever).

Terrorism is an active problem today. Fight the man is a sentiment that is still deeply rooted in our Western society and politics and is only getting uglier as the years go by, at least in the US.

But it seems you are coming at this with an agenda instead of providing any actual criticism. I'm sorry you dislike Apocalypse. However, I did not make my post with the intention of being sold on Forsaken or for you to turn it into a rip on Apocalypse. If you don't like Apocalypse that's fine but please go start your own conversation elsewhere about why you think its bad.

You keep talking big now but see what happens on the day of the rake!

No, I said it is very much rooted in the 90s aesthetic.
Terrorism today is not the same as it was in the 80s and 90s, and the punk aesthetic that Apoc is based on has faded away as much as the goth aesthetic that VtM is based on has.
Stop thinking you need to defend Apoc from criticism on the internet, there is no fucking "Agenda", and you literally came here asking for critique. That said, I think your themes would work better in Forsaken without needed the hidebound ideology baked into Apoc.

Don´t forget to get rid of all those smelly Nosferatu.
And the Brujah. Oh, and the Malkavians too, they are annoying.

Gnosis has to be at 4 to get 4 dots in an Arcana. This isn't a one-to-one thing though. Adept level is the first one blocked by a Gnosis requirement. You can have Arcana at 3 at Gnosis 1.

Chances of Paradox also increase as your Gnosis gets higher, iirc, but using your Dedicated Tool and spending a Mana can reduce the chance, and then they can contain it for resistant bashing damage.

So the argument stands at being able to get agg damage for a cost that is less than the benefit?
>I apologize, I am not into Mage at all

I just checked the chart. At gnosis 3 your primary arcanum can be at 4. All the others are stuck at 3 though.

You can also have 3 yantras at that point, so that helps. But is unrelated to the conversation.

While Mage allows the infliction of potential Defense-free aggravated damages at a distance at only 4 dots in an Arcanum, employing such a capability is usually not resource or tactically sound. In fact, most direct attacks such as fraying or unraveling are less efficient than more indirect or creative uses of the Arcana.

For instance, a Forces Adept can can bathe an opponent in aggravated damage fire, but it would cost a mana, require more than his free Reach, and only do 4 damage before dice penalties. Instead, he could simply nullify gravity at almost no cost, and either effectively take out his opponent or inflict far more damage dropping him from hundreds of feet in the air.

>At gnosis 3 your primary arcanum can be at 4
Right, my bad. I was thinking about how Mastery requires five for your Ruling but six for the others.

>You can also have 3 yantras at that point, so that helps
Sure, but only one yantra can be used reflexively. Using more adds a turn to the casting time for each additional yantra.

A turn is only 3 seconds right? That really isn't too bad

Oooh. For some reason I thought reflexive yantras went up too. I still haven't played mage 2e yet though so I'm learning!

>That really isn't too bad
Depends on the situation.

i miss atamajakki

What a queer guy

So besides munchkinning the system to farm beatss, to Beasts have the easiest advancement?

They have a permanent condition based on their satiety

Why do Mages get access to Aggravated damage so easily compared to every other Template?

Because Mages are the best

What does it take for the other splats?

because mage supremacy

ain't no way around it

>easily
Something something Memes

We just went over what it takes. It ain't really super easy.

It's not super easy, just easier than others for comparably less cost.

Vampire
Claws of the UnHoly, gives them Agg claws. It's a merit at CC
GET WRETKED

Well that's hard to judge without seeing what everyone else has.

I think 2e prommies have pretty easy agg damage if the creep type has a weakness.

>get four dots in Arcanum
>spend reach
>aggravated damage

Yeah, Mages are nukers

Taking advantage of a weakness isn't the same as having access almost as a matter of course.
No one is complaining about wolves taking agg from silver, or vamps from fire.

Why does it have to be the same level of difficulty for every splat?

That's not how it works

Why shouldn't there be some manner of parity between splats?
It makes for a smoother, more logical play time in practice, especially for rookies or people who don't trawl the internet looking for the "Win" button.

I mean the attack just does agg. But the fluff is that it takes on the nature of the enemies bane.

Yes. Yes, that's how it works. Spending one Reach and a point of Mana on an Unraveling spell upgrades it from Lethal to Aggravated.

Wizards be scary, yo'

>Why shouldn't there be some manner of parity between splats?
Because internal mechanics and consistency matter more than equality.

>It makes for a smoother, more logical play time in practice, especially for rookies or people who don't trawl the internet looking for the "Win" button.
I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here.

Another thread demonstrating how much Mage needs to be nerfed

Being potentially stronger than other splats or able to do things more easily isn't a reason to be nerfed.

>Because internal mechanics and consistency matter more than equality.
That isn't really an explanation. Where is the internal consistency as it regards the setting compared to other creatures? It was a dev choice outside of such considerations.
>I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here.
That stronger parity promotes faster and more cohesive understanding of the game mechanics for the player, unless you think Ivory Tower design is an ideal?
>potentially
They are, user, and it's fairly obvious. There is nothing wrong with the kind of versatility mages get, there is something wrong when that versatility is also tied to more raw power for less cost.
All of this also makes it harder for an ST to challenge the players sensibly, and no, throwing cosmic threats at the players is not the answer when it flies in the face of internal consistency and the players' actions.

>muh balance

You must be new to WoD

Vampire gets it the easiest. See

>Where is the internal consistency as it regards the setting compared to other creatures?
Who cares about the other creatures? They have their own games, their own mechanics.

>That stronger parity promotes faster and more cohesive understanding of the game mechanics for the player,
So you want things to be more samey.

>They are, user, and it's fairly obvious
Not every Mage is stronger than every other member of every other splat.

>there is something wrong when that versatility is also tied to more raw power for less cost
Why?

>All of this also makes it harder for an ST to challenge the players sensibly
Literally every other Mage has potential access to the same things the players do. Resources, powers, knowledge, etc. You don't need to throw cosmic threats at them to challenge them.

Is he banned or something? I'd imagine we see more of him when scion comes out

Man, then Prometheans must be super OP.

Any promethean can get aggravated damage on supernatural creatures without needing any higher Azoth.

They just need to be taught a complex refinement. Which require a tiny bit of work, but not much. Refinement of Silver, Clade alembic, gives you access to agg damage on any supernatural.

You can then calcify it, and even when you change refinements you'll always be able to take on whatever supernatural you set yourself to.

Requires Protean 4

I think he just got bullied out.

I think you guys are missing the biggest thing about Mages and Aggravated damage.

They can do it at a distance.