/ore/ One Roll Engine General

It's been a while edition

This is a thread for discussing Monsters and Other Childish Things, Wild Talents, Reign and any other games built on Greg Stolze's One Roll Engine.

>***The System
Roll some d10s. Find matches. The number of matching dice is your Width. The number ON the dice is your Height. So a Set of [5,5,5] has a Width of 3 and a Height of 5, written as 3x5. That's it. Width and Height tell you a lot about your action, such as how fast it was, how strong it was, how precise it was, etc. Everything in the system is built around this fast, simple mechanic.

>***The Games

>Nemesis
A game about cosmic horror using the Madness system invented and popularized by Unknown Armies. It's available for free on ArcDream's website here: arcdream.com/pdf/Nemesis.pdf

>Godlike
Superhero roleplaying during World War II. Fight supersonic Nazis and invisible French knife maniacs in a brutal setting where you're equally likely to be killed by a mortar blast as from a supervillain.

>Wild Talents
The sequel to Godlike, blowing the doors of the system to let you create any superpower you can imagine. /tg's favorite ORE game.

>Monsters and Other Childish Things
You're a kid with an imaginary monster friend who's real, and you have adventures. Converts nicely into Jojo and Persona.

>Reign
High fantasy roleplaying in a crazy world that would need to have an entire post just about it.

>A Dirty World
Noir at its best. Relentlessly focused on character growth and psychology. A much lighter system than the others.

>Better Angels
You're a supervillain whose power comes from a contract with a demon. Try not to get dragged to hell.

>***Pastebin Archive
pastebin.com/WiT4BhFM
---A compendium of tips, advice, homebrews and other content assembled by /tg from /ore Generals past

>***Persona MaOCT Conversion Discord
discord.gg/aWZMuZP

>***This Thread
---The MaOCT/Persona conversion continues
---Pro Wild Talents discussion
---Other ORE games

Here's the current draft of the Velvet Book, our MaOCT/Persona Conversion. This being heavily playtested in the Discord from the OP. Already we're working on major changes for how Minor Shadows work which should continue to improve playability. Enjoy!

And here's the current progress of the Player's Manual, the chapter containing rules to help players (and GMs) navigate the gameworld. It includes cases for all 15 Skills as well as the rules for Time Management. This is naturally a work in progress and more is being added all the time.

With permission of the GM, here's the write up for a Persona campaign that just started today and is looking for players:

>Starwood City is a bustling, thrustling US of A metropolis in the year 2027, after a short missile exchange with North Korea led to a quick but dangerous war that wiped several cities, and small countries, off of the globe. Starwood City is the new center of the USA's high-life, like a mixture of Hollywood and New York, and the largest of the Neometro, a new kind of planned, highly mechanized, and very automated city being constructed all over the world. Solar panels and rooftop wind farms, along with miniaturized nuclear reactors, keep Starwood City sustainably powered, and pizeoelectric sidewalks turn street lamps on through the power of citizen's footsteps. The City of Sparkling Lights truly is the shining example of the Neometro.

>However, not all that glitters is gold. Underneath the city, buried deep within its alleyways and in the hearts of its inhabitants, lies the meta-plane of the Alleyway, a series of corridors and cubbyholes nestled deep within the citizenry's souls. Each person carries their heart in a Hideaway, which will tell you all you need to know about a person's inner self, and the more visible someone is in the public eye, the more Alleyways lead to their Hideaway. When someone grows important enough, the maze and mass of twisting corridors metastasizes into a Safehouse, an armored, heavily-guarded epicenter of spiritual activity that can begin to distort the physical world with its mass.

(1/2)

(2/2)
>The Neometros, and by extension, Starwood City, are warred in, in the background, by several secret societies, groups of assassins, and other such hidden clubs that seek to take advantage of the system of Alleyways, Hideaways, and Safehouses. After a crippling defeat, the Ten of Spades of the Full House Fraternity is the only one left, and he's looking to recruit four new members of powerful spiritual awareness in order to train them into a well-oiled Royal Flush Fraternity, not for control, but to exact revenge.

>The player characters will be one of Ten of Spades' recruits - either the Ace, King, Jack, or Queen of Spades, in addition to having your tarot assignments. The card naming is just a name for the organization, and despite it being called a Fraternity, female characters are allowed. The best experience would be gained from having morally ambiguous characters with varying reasons as for why they want to join Ten of Spades.

>None of the PCs will begin with Persona.

>The theming for Persona is mythological spies, assassins, magicians, etc. Anyone to do with trickery, murder, or both, from any mythology.

>3D Persona, elements are Physical, Gun, Fire, Ice, Wind, Elec, Bless, Curse.

>All PCs attend Starwood City High, the prestigious semi-automated academy for the high rollers that can afford it, meaning that they're either in it on scholarship or have relatively affluent parents (not, like, 1% affluent, just kind of upper-middle class).

How ready to play is the persona conversion? Would love to get my group to play this after our shadowrun campaign.

Very playable! The Velvet Book, as it stands, has all the adjustments you'd need to play along with the standard MaOCT (which is required; this is a full module, not a stand-alone work). But there are like 7-8 active campaigns running or being set-up in our Discord right now and so far the system is working very well.

The big thing that needs to be done is testing the revised Shadow Rules and then probably replacing them in the draft. Once that's in place, everything else is just resources (like filling out the Shadow Compendium and providing useful GM info).

It's still definitely in Alpha right now, but it's a very functional Alpha.

Here are our Character and Persona Sheets, BTW

Thanks for the info. The campaign we're in right now should wrap up in about 3 weeks so when I get the ball rolling with the persona one I'll be sure to give feedback.

By that time we should have a bunch more resources prepped, including a more fleshed out GM guide (which has just been started) and a more complete Shadow Compendium

BTW, this isn't just for Persona Chat. I'd welcome some talk about Wild Talents, vanilla MaOCT, even Reign (especially Reign; I love hearing stories about that game)

Here's one of the Personas created by our test players. It's Morpheus of the Moon Arcana.

Hit locations include its Boom Box, Pumped Up Kicks, Voice and Track Jacket of Slavdom.

>implying anyone but the Persona conversion comes to these threads

I thought about making a separate thread for it but figured why not invite all ORE discussion anyway. We had about a month of really awesome talk a while back where threads routinely hit the bump limit. Action's cooled since then but I know there are still players out there.

So how do you guys do High School age games with MaOCT?

The core game supports it. You just tailor it around more mature themes, lik uncertainty about one's future and identity.

Anyone running a Wild Talents game? I've been GMing non-stop for like a month and I need some inspiration since I've hit a bit of writers block.

Your monster says more crude jokes and urges you to "tap that" (though he doesn't really understand what that means, he just saw it on TV).

Also, sack taps and ragging on fat kids during gym.

Don't forget about being able to drive a car, going to parties with underage drinking and having to deal with your crappy part time job at Payless while you still have a Giger-esque monstrosity hanging around you.

Making sure your gf's monster doesnt mind your monsters company?

Yup! Really High School is one of the most interesting age ranges for MaOCT because it brings the Monster side of things smashing up against the harsh cruelty of real life.

I'll give this a bit of a bump

So what kind of campaigns have you guys run with MaOTC?

Someone in my group wanted to do a more serious version of Foster Home of Imaginary Friends with this, but I didn't join up. Crashed out in a week so I'm unsure if I wanna look into it, Do you guys recommend?

Bump

How hard would it be to convert MaOTC for something similar to the Shadow RPG from Yugioh?

I run one of those games and sofar have had the typical persona set up. They go to school and worry about grades, then after that focus on how to spend their time, whether thats hanging with S links, exploring the otherworld, or rehearsals for band night.

The otherworld is a hellscape of construction sites and unfinished buildings created from the collective false hopes of the people.

If you run this, make sure to give plenty of thought to your confidants, they are as important and fun as combat encounters

Yeah, that would be great.

For real, although a lot of attention has been directed towards the Persona conversion, vanilla MaOCT is a fantastic game about friendship and monsters who eat your friendship points to gain power to rip apart other monsters and cause social fallout for you in the process.

You should definitely at least give the book a read. Even just reading it is pretty fun.

Tell the thread about the band's first performance.

So a few days earlier they learned about a coffeeshop nearby who has an Amateur band night each weekend.

They spend the next couple of days practising (I created a mechanical means to this) and several mentioned the gig to their S-links.

The day comes by, and they get their things set up. The coffeeshop (named "The Tea-Rex") is empty, until one S-link shows up, then another, and another. Turns out every single one they asked, and a few they didnt all showed up (even the school bully and her three toadies)

One party member (a disgraced pop Idol and a face-burn victim hides in the washroom for the first song (but she is still able to make rolls to help the party (since the system is weird that way) There is even a bitter police captain there (and his rookie buddy is outside in a car watching with binocs)

The team has several things they are fighting against at once:

1)WHY IS EVERYONE HERE?!
2)WE ONLY KNOW ONE SONG!!!
3)A noisy construction crew on the street outside
4)A noisy espresso machine alittle too close to the stage.

Each round represented one song. By round two the player hiding in the washroom bursts out and joins the song. Most of the party use their s-link dice to boost their rolls.

Finally it ends in an all-out-attack against the crowd for their finale.

As the show ends and people leave, the Barista (named Kiki) gives them some attitude and tells them they should stop by tomorrow night and see their competition.

Here's the progress on the updated Shadow Compendium. We've revised our Shadows for the Magician and High Priestess, and included pro strats for a number of them with particularly interesting Useful Qualities.

Bump!

Another one of our campaigns launched today, Nightmares in the Dreamlands. Excited to see how that one turns out. And a new one just started planning too.

Anyone else interested in running or playing, check out the Discord.

Haven't played with ORE before, but I've been told it scales well from character level up to armies and nations. Which book do I want to read through for army rules?

Reign: Enchirideon.

Thanks, are they part of the company rules then?

The Company rules debuted with Reign. The Enchiridion is basically the core rulebook for Reign, stripped of almost all of its setting material except for a few hints towards it.

If I understand correctly, you modeled the performance as a fight. Could you elaborate, please?

Also, does anyone know if there's a difference between the 2010 and the 2014 version of Bigger Bads?

I simply made it a fight against a 4 limbed threat, each limb was one of the above mentioned problems. if they used their music skill they did damage=width, if they improvised and used another skill to try and effect the performance it was width-1 damage

Yup! they work pretty well for stuff like street gang too in modern, urban settings.

Not sure about this

The thread or the game? Or both?

Give us a quick Overview of your world/Story and we might help ?

Bump, will give a full reply when I'm off mobile.

So what I'm struggling with is actually a specific scenario. My players are infililtrating a prison to investigate illegal experimentation being performed on the prisoners for the purpose of producing a drug that gives people superpowers. The player characters are certainly up to it (one is a security systems expert, another a shapeshifter, and another a psychic illusionist) but what I'm struggling with is figuring out what kind of stuff they might come across in the prison before they reach the hidden laboratory underneath it, as a nice lead-up.

(I've also been trying to find a good prison floorplan to use as a map, but cant find anything that satisfies me either)

Lets give this one last bump

New campaigns start tomorrow. Get hype.

Which ones? Details!

Not that user, but I know that Anodyne starts tomorrow with the first day of school. We got waifus, we got justice, and we got horses. No other details yet.

Horses? I must have missed that part of the write-up

bump

What's the appeal of the ORE system?

Not trying to start a shit storm or anything, I just found this.

So for Monsters, how do you guys handle how parents deal with the monsters?

Bribe them with favorite foods?

fast resolution (one roll)
universal and malleable (super heroes, horror, fantasy etc)

the OP lists a bunch of ORE games

Above average dice pool system that uses d10s
Has a kinda neat speed mechanic with the dice
System itself is very versatile but not really any more than the majority of other systems
The games that use it are real fun though

To add to this:

One of my favorite things about ORE is that it packs a lot of information into single dice roll.

Let's say I roll 10d and I get the following result:

2 2 3 5 6 6 7 7 7 8

From that I see that I have three Sets: 2x2, 2x6 and 3x7. I also have three Loose Dice: 3,5 and 8.

Each Set in turn has two pieces of information: it's Width (how many dice) and Height (what the dice show).

Taken together, you can divine a lot of information, which makes it excellent for homebrewing on-the-fly systems. For instance I could use this to simulate random activity at a party (which I did in a game last night). The Sets can represent group activities based on Height, while the Width determines how big a group or how rowdy it is. The 2x2 could mean that there's a sparse crowd of people dancing while the 3x7 could mean that there's a rush on the bar, which as the GM I could say means that someone just called for a round for the house.

The the loose dice can represent a lot too. You can make them individual events (so that the 3,5 and 8 have different significances), or you could count the up to determine some event (so the result with be 3).

It's a very useful system for generating random, dynamic events with just a single dice roll.