Could you make an entire MtG deck out of just one card...

Could you make an entire MtG deck out of just one card? What's the smallest number of cards you can make a MTG deck out of?

Swamp and Relentless Rats

Relentless Rats costs three.

So?

You're still required to have a sixty card deck, it's just that 40~ are Relentless Rats cards and 20~ are swamp cards

40 of any given basic land. It wouldn't be a particularly good deck, but you could run it.

What about just 60 Treetop Villages?

Numerically, either 40 or 60 depending on if you're playing a limited or standard format.

As others have mentioned, relentless rat and swamp let's you play a deck with 2 unique cards in it.

Not a basic land so you can only have 4

Not legally, but I guess that 60 memnites could win a game or two.

Back in the bad old days, before the 4 card limit was imposed, people would make decks consisting of nothing but Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, and Lightning Bolt.

You can do that in VtES and might actually score a point.
crypt: 12x Anarch Convert (or any thing else low-capacity non-unique)
library: 40x Computer Hacking

I remember tales of a commander deck that was just 99 Forests and the commander. I can't remember who it was, but I think she did something to make lands into creatures.

Jolrael?

worth mentioning is 99 lands and Ashling

As mentioned, 2, with the Swamps and the Rats. However, it's not really a functional deck, because it sacrifices the first two turns and does nothing.

The smallest quasi-competitive deck of which I'm aware (as in, you could theoretically win games with in in a constructed casual environment) that actually DOES something is Zombie Hunt. 5 cards, as pictured.

>x2 Treasure Hunt
>x2 Zombie Infestation
>x4 Reliquary Tower
>50/50 split between Swamps and Islands

Mulligan until you have a Treasure Hunt and Island in your hand. Ideally you have a Treasure Hunt and Reliquary Tower. Cast Treasure Hunt and draw a fuckton of cards until you come to Zombie Infestation. As long as the Reliquary Tower is out, you can discard all your cards on the end of your opponent's turn, which helps avoid board wipes. Discard a large number of cards. Get a slightly less large number of Zombies. Turn them sideways and win.

The really funny thing is that this deck can legitimately win against somebody who hasn't seen it before. It's not "good" by ANY stretch of the imagination, but suddenly dropping it into some metas out of nowhere can cause a ton of hilarity. The furthest I got with it was winning a FNM Modern tourney, purely on the fact that I lucked out against poorly-drawing opponents. It's pure jank meant for casual play, but it's ______fun__ to pull off against somebody who hasn't seen it before.

Buddy of mine did that with Molimo.

You realize that even if a one card deck were legal, you'd mill out on your opening hand, right?

You could probably get a trade off between minimalism and viability with 20 swamps, 36 shadowborn apostles and 4 demons. Make it something like Apocalypse Demon and you've got a graveyard smash on your hand if they've tried to cock block you with board clear.

>Shadowborn Apostle shennanigans

>My close comrade of Nubian descent.

I've got a Commander deck that runs in a similar fashion with about 50 Apostles in it. It works OK in Commander because you can more easily get the 6 Apostles out using ramp cards or things that let you trade life for mana (and using Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker as the Commander lets you recycle the Apostles back to sac them again).

Even in a constructed casual environment, I don't think that plan would be functional with only using those three cards. For 100% sure, you could make it work by adding 2-3 other card types (Thrumming Stone, for example), but with just those 3 cards? IMO I wouldn't call it "functional".

I don't think you understand this thread

Could throw a single Hellcarver in there too, so sacrifice six apostles, drop that bad boy, hit something, have a ridiculously high chance of being able to drop 6 apostles straight onto the field, sacrificing them, summoning a 12/12 apocalypse demon and having a cuntboy grinning fucker demon just waiting there on the field, for another 6 apostle drop (at the cost of potentially losing most of your lands, decking out etc...)

What the fuck that's hilarious. What's the deck going to cost? Like $50?

Dumb question.

Magic decks are usually only 10 cards and 1 or 2 lands. (4 of each of the ten + 20 land)
Your strategy is based around 11 cards in a monocolor deck.

You're already dealing with a bare minimum number of cards anyway.

Two Inspiring Vantage, 3 Goblin Guides, 2 Boros Charm.