He always acted after thinking and planning. This prevented the gods from affecting him with dice rolls

>He always acted after thinking and planning. This prevented the gods from affecting him with dice rolls.

>He wasn't interested in abilities or cheats.

>Even the gods hated this.

>But in the end he won't save the world and he won't save the world.

>He doesn't move from a single word you say to him.

>And since he isn't affect by the dice roll of gods, not even the gods can predict how his adventures will end.

Can anyone explain if this is feasible or even legal in any DnD game? Sounds more like he's cheating. I could think of many ways to mess up a PC which even a roll-ignoring guy won't survive if I need to.

It's not possible at all, which is why it didn't actually happen, it's just moonrune silliness.

That's explains everything. There's no way that'd be allowed.

>Can anyone explain if this is feasible or even legal in any DnD game?
Sounds like DMPC

>Can anyone explain if this is feasible or even legal in any DnD game?

It's literally breaking what is possibly the simplest and most entry level rule of DnD that even children understand: nothing happens without rolling the dice, that's almost 90% of the game.

It's the equivalent of being a complete fucking oblivious idiot and just moving your mini or doing whatever you want while ignoring everything around you... So, yeah.
What's the context, though? Does he ignore his 'own' dice rolls or just the DM/God? Because either way it won't accomplish anything: in a game the DM and the Player both need to acknowledge one another in order for their "make believe game" to work- it's the consent of witnesses that make a board game function, otherwise it just devolves into, "NUH-UH, THIS HAPPENED!!"

What Manga btw?

>He always acted after thinking and planning.
This doesn't sound like he's ignoring the dice, but rather that his plans are so good that the dice rolls don't matter.

Apparently it's because of the enemy he specializes in fighting. I was told that he's so geared around fighting that enemy that said enemy practically doesn't get to roll against him. It doesn't explain anything like a sudden rockslide or something in nature that randomly happened though. I also don't see how being practically able to auto-pass all rolls against some form of enemy makes the person immune to the dice. I can see some situations where it won't be enough.

I'm with this guy . It's how I play my shadowrun character too. There are always ways to minimize the effects of dice within games. Just gotta be smart about it.

I'm pretty sure minimizing isn't immune.

> >He always acted after thinking and planning. This prevented the gods from affecting him with dice rolls.

So, what? Literally no fucking other person in the setting bothers to think or plan? Fuck off. You can spend 3 days straight "planning" to shoot the bad guy in the face with your god-slaying arrow, but when the time comes to make the attack you are still making a roll motherfucker.

What kind of chicken shit excuse for- wait... is that mini...

This is fucking Goblin Slayer. No wonder this is fucking stupid.

Sorta. The guy is an NPC who's shown some favor from the players & DM.

You can never totally invalidate the dice.

>Even the players hated this.
Sounds like a hated dnpc.

He's so competent that his systems probability barely effects his gameplay. This is achievable in most systems but not all.

Set up stuff so there are so many bonus to the roll there is nothing the dice can do.
You dont have to roll to jump over a 1 foot gap

>This is fucking Goblin Slayer. No wonder this is fucking stupid.
I knew it was edgy 2cool4school bullshit at
>He wasn't interested in abilities or cheats.
>Even the gods hated this.
He's like, way above even trying, man, and everyone just like, totally hates him because he's not sinking to their level in order to be more awesome than everyone else.

It's supposed to be an NPC though.

I don't see how any non-clarvoyent person could predict enough situations. No plan perfectly survives practice.

So? He's taken self-cultivation to a Xanatos level.

He stacked anti-goblin modifiers until the die roll became a formality.

That's downright implausible. There's too many variables in anything.

Thank you for your incredibly vague statement. Why plan for anything at all?

A skilled psychologist can accurately determine peoples motivations and how to make them take certain actions, an acrobat can reliably walk a tight rope successfully every time with enough practice, now add in super-human dedication and abilities.

He's a researched expert on a species psychology, tactics, habits, habitats, and physiology. Tack on a brutal and pragmatic approach to using everything he encounters in life.

A skilled psychologist can still get things wrong. An acrobat could face an accident no matter how much training and practice. No amount of preparation will guarantee success. He also doesn't have anything beyond experience slaying them. Enough to know habits but clearly he can't explain something it'd take a biologist to. He isn't even pragmatic. He's just a paranoid and lucky person.

He has a lot more knowledge beyond killing them. A fuck-ton of research and dedication more than just slaying them.

You're seriously over-estimating the complexity of people, much less the goblins. They have no way of knowing about him while he spends all of his time observing and researching them.

He is paranoid, but it's not luck, he is constantly and pragmatically seeking advantages out of every single thing he runs into in life. I've seen a PC made like him that was a nightmare bag of tricks.

Xanatos himself had weaknesses which bit him. Some of his success boiled down to "I was able to test my new project " which could be considered a success but in the end, the project failed at its goal. Even if he survives to make adjustments, that's just as much "I failed but can try again" as it is a success.

Yeah, but how often do you just need to jump over 1 foot gaps to defeat an army?

No. He knows all he needs to kill them. He couldn't even prepare for the possibility that a different and stronger species was leading them & resorted to a backup plan which prevented him from using that scroll elsewhere.

I can observe something for years and no fully understand them.

His tactics force himself into those situations to begin with. When I look at some of his tactics, I wonder how they work. In a cave, sounds echo and thus any screams and noises might be heard. Despite that, he still chose to nail things into the cave to make a rope trap. He burns a fortress down and acknowledges the chance of escaping goblins but doesn't consider what if said escaping goblin was in any way on fire & therefore he potentially caused a forest fire or another issue with that. That scroll trick could deal lots of damage but rushing after at that pressure could do horrible things. It may damage a cave and potentially flood an area.

If you plan the death of an adversary in such a way that no single die roll will cause the plan to fail it's an alright plan. If you plan in such a way that multiple rolls can fail and the chance of success is still there, then it is a well thought out plan.

You're just a simple person, only able to think of simple plans. No wonder you place such significance on the outcome of the dice.

This is why i Always play roguerogue

No amount of skill can overcome astronomically bad luck. The kind that gods can inflict.

No battle strategy, no matter how robust, can recover from unseasonable weather resulting in a flash flood down the mountainside that hits your entrenched positions, washing away more than half your army and the majority of your supplies, leaving the survivors easily picked off by the enemy forces who were miraculously spared due to a quirk of positioning.

The best swordsman int he world is still fucked if his sword breaks from an unforeseen flaw in the metal that has become stressed over time from multiple blows, that chooses the worst possible moment to snap off the blade at the hilt. The best sniper in the world can't kill someone with a jammed gun.

You can plan for expected points of failure, but you can't plan for random bullshit like 'your scouts find a bunch of mushrooms that look exactly like edible mushrooms they know and recognize, but are in fact an incurable poison which is a fact discovered too late for your entire command staff.'

I agree. Numerous times I've been fucked over by something no dice roll can fix. I admit my luck is ass.

I like how hyperbole is the only way you can think. A failed plan can only be so incredibly simple that calling them plans is dishonest, or the factors against you are biblical in proportion so you might as well not have bothered.

>No battle strategy
Except one that takes that possibility into account.

>Best swordsman still fucked
If that's the only thing he relies on

>Command poisoned
If the chain of command is poorly planned out and lacks enough redundancy.

You keep thinking of simple problems and not realizing you can plan more than one step.

To a degree, the DnD equivalent would be the ability to take10 on all rolls. While you could arguably only attempt routine uses of skills, doing so in combat (or even just saving vs effects) would be difficult to manage repeatedly (stuff like the law domain power can let you take10 on things repeatedly but not indefinitely). Not to mention, you would need to manage to maintain an aura of such indefinitely for things around you doing the same.

> hyperbole

You fell for my trap, motherfucker.

> unseasonable weather resulting in a flash flood down the mountainside

Happened to an army in Jin Dynasty China during the 4th century

> 'edible mushrooms' killing your commanders

12th century French forces on expedition

These are examples of astronomical bad luck fucking over what would have otherwise been easy victories that actually happened.

Oh-hoh, historically bad armies that didn't take the weather into account. Alongside flawed command structures that would be laughed at by modern military!

You got him with your examples of incompetence and ridiculously simple plans, user!

You can't plan infinite steps with infinite supplies, user.

>command structures that would be laughed at by modern military

Well, yeah. In a modern military, people below the top of the chain of command can fucking READ.

the gods of the setting like rule of cool/rule of magical realms

Of course. Don't have too, just need a simple backup and common sense will suffice.

And sometimes that's not enough. Dice rolls still happen.

>it just takes it into account
>oh he should have a backup which won't fail and can be easily pulled out
>it won't screw us too hard short term, we'll recover
A little too hopeful to me.

see

That doesn't work. It doesn't mean I suddenly can ignore dice rolls. It also doesn't mean that I'm unaffected by whatever the DM does.

You're wrong, see

And if someone in your game is planning something and you go haha that doesn't work because things entirely out of your control happen to fuck you over. Then you're a cunt.

See

>Then you're a cunt.
Welcome to GMing, friend.

>Happened to an army in Jin Dynasty China during the 4th century
See, this is what happens when you don't learn Sun Tzu's art of war.

>the chance of success is still there
>chance doesn't exist
user...?

That makes a recursive loop that ends with you still being simple. Dunning-Kruger at its finest.

If that person deliberately goes or on me and ignores dice rolls who should negatively impact him, not even a successful roll or enough bonuses, just bullshitting his way, then I might start to do so.

>haha that doesn't work because things entirely out of your control happen to fuck you over
That's literally what dice are for. Usually not as severely as the aforementioned examples, but it's the same concept. Given that the discussion is (was originally?) about cutting chance out of the equation entirely, this is false for everything but freeform and being really fudge-heavy.

This argument is even dumber because Goblin Slayer's "plans upon plans upon plans" are all simple as shit and don't have any contingencies at all. Hell, most of the time he just comes in swinging.

user things out of your control covers most of everybody's life, even many of their own actions.

Still curious how he didn't mess himself hard with these plans. The guy keeps scavenging and using his surroundings. This is good as an addition to a plan but he uses it so much that I wonder if he'll ever end up in a situation he can't maneuver to his advantage.

And that's why he was carrying that Gate scroll.

That scroll can drown him if he's in an inclosed area or an enemy take it.

And if you tell a player character that their plans fail, not because they weren't good, but because you say so. Then you're a cunt.
History isn't ttrpgs. Take the change in medium into account fuck brains.

>join new D&D game
>DM seems to be a bit weird but whatever
>create characters
>one hour into the game, DM brings out an elaborate miniature
>oh great, a DMPC
>starts talking about how it can't be affected by anything
>not even by dice rolls
>not even by anyone sitting at the table
>me and others don't really know how to respond
>continue playing
>miniature is on the table the whole time
>game ends, nothing happened to it
>DM starts talking about how amazing it was that the miniature went on an adventure that we could not possibly know
>leave and never return

Why are so many DMs autistic Veeky Forums?

You're the one who doesn't want to acknowledge skill checks and dice rolls exist when you take actions, user.

>I wonder if he'll ever end up in a situation he can't maneuver to his advantage.
No, because he's the DMPC and any situation that he's outmatched in will get solved through DM fiat, being a prime example.

>Run into something that can't be beaten in a straight fight
>Oh, good thing I shelled out a boatload of gold for that unspecified scroll that conveniently happens to be something that can perfectly solve the situation I'm in right at this very moment.
>lololol demon lord you're weaker than goblins because I have fucktons of plot armour and the author will magic away any possibility that I'll fail.

Except that he's not even plot-relevant to the larger setting at all?
The overpowered DMPC is the Haruhi expy.

The larger setting only exists to prop him up. He's not plot-relevant to it because it's made for him to not care about.

I outright said otherwise butter butt. You account for the dice in your plan. If several failures doesn't mean everything collapses around you then you've done a good job. You're the one saying that fuck you, you fail anyways because a literal act of god occurs.

Don't try to tell me the scouting party's actions or the fucking mudslide are the results of mundane dice rolls failing. Because that is literally not how these things work.

Real talk, this is what, a level 10 PC fighting against CR1/4 goblins? They probably only hit him on 20.

The only way to truly accommodate bad luck is to take on challenges that aren't actually challenging at all, in which case you're not even a very good tactician. You're just lucky to not need to do anything hard. Scouting parties are a big example of this, because there's a ton of things they could run into that would require not-bad luck to get out of, unless you sent an overwhelming force that could just swarm the area with numbers.

Demand and control, I assume. When a player fucks up, the only thing they have control over is their own character and anything they try to hijack in the process. When a DM fucks up, in theory literally everything is within his purview to ruin.

More importantly, people willing to play a game are usually far, far more numerous than people willing to run one. An obnoxious player can often be kicked or not let in with relatively little difficulty. An obnoxious DM is much more frequently a him-or-nothing type deal.

To be perfectly fair on that last point, there's also an investment issue. If all you need to do is slap some numbers together and pretend to be an elf, you probably don't need the product to be especially grand. If you're going to put all of this time and effort into running something, ostensibly for the sole benefit of others, there's much more incentive to cram in things to keep it worthwhile. Such as your shitty, shitty fetishes, sexual or otherwise.

>If several failures doesn't mean everything collapses around you then you've done a good job.
I don't know when/if we shifted, but this discussion was supposed to be about whether it's possible to ignore luck entirely, not whether you can improve your outcomes through planning. I suspect somebody went full retard somewhere and we ended up with two different discussions.

OP here, my question is more or less if it's even possible to have a character like that such that you ignore rolls to that extent & ESPECIALLY so much that apparently not even the DM can affect you. That latter one I find divide by zero levels of impossible.

>so much that apparently not even the DM can affect you
No. Not a chance.

If a DM is sufficiently petty and assholish, nothing can insulate your character from retribution if he decides to fuck with you.

That level of dickery generally is a signal to leave and never come back though, because no D&D is better than D&D under a GM that hates you and wants you to fail.

I'm pretty sure that Haruhi is a PC, not a DMPC.

Goblin Slayer. It's about a guy who really, really, fucking hates goblins.

I'm not sure I'd equate "dice of the gods" with "the DM," but if so then it's like asking if eating somebody's car is theft. Like... there's technically an answer, but it's such a nonsensical thing to do that it begs a much bigger question than it poses. The DM is not an adversary you can become immune to, he's the guy running the game. You might as well try to become immune to the battle mat or Frank's shitty work schedule.

It mentioned somewhere else that the DM doesn't have any way to control him. Very weird as even without a die, it's possible to kill a PC.

>the DM
You mean in the thread or that the manga is canonically somebody's D&D campaign?

The manga & LN are someone's D&D game.

Sure, you just have to become the Batman of the setting.
Okay, Batman is just shorthand for "impossibly prepared person" but the point I'm trying to make is that the character only works when the setting is on his side. In stories where the good guy wins, the villain may have a thousand contingencies but will fail eventually because that's what the story needs to happen. Translated to tabletop games, this means probably either that you have to be sucking the DM's dick for your character to pull it off or that it's a DMPC and thus the DM favors the character by default.

So Goblin Slayer is what, bullying the DM? Are the gods being shoved into lockers between sessions?

Not in any system where there are automatic successes and failures. In any system with those elements, you need the dice to at least not actively shit on you.

Not really. He's apparently this NPC who none of them can control. He's kinda the biggest oddball and wildcard in the bunch.

What? Is he a fucking Amiibo?

Maybe we're thinking about this the wrong way. You know that one screencap with the guardsman?

>PCs are sneaking up to a goblin encampment
>DM sets up a scene to show the PCs what they're dealing with, small group of nameless mercenaries are going in first
>"A trap is sprung, killing the first two soldiers. Goblins burst out of the nearby bush, the squad is taken without a chance to fight."
>"No way man, roll for it. I want to see how many they take out before we go in."
>One soldier rolls like a madman, ends up clearing out the whole encampment while the PCs insist to keep watching
>They make jokes about the dude the entire campaign, saying that any mob soldier who does well in a given encounter must be the same guy

You know the old line of "why are the PCs the only people in the setting who can stop X"?

Goblin Slayer is basically the DM saying "Yes, there is in fact someone who has the skills and power to stop X, but he's too busy killing goblins non-stop for two decades because he really fucking hates goblins."

I don't know what the source is or what shenanigans he gets up to, but I think it could be represented as the player taking 10 on everything. Including things you can't by RAW. Attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, saves, the works.
So while he on the one hand will never critfail anything, he will also never critically succeed. If he can just get the modifiers high enough he can make sure that he always hits a given enemy, that the enemy never hits him, that he can always make his save, and so on. I guess that's where the "thinking and planning" comes in, if he can get sufficient intel on the enemy he can deduce whether he's able to take them on or not. If not, he just walks away until he's gained a level or two.

I'd say it's feasible, but definitely not intended, it would also be boring as fuck.

>GS is a meme inside a D&D campaign inside a manga/LN
Has science gone too far?

You can't take 10 on attacks and saves, and even if you could your enemy can always crit.

Never. I'm addicted to metanarratives.

>what is a custom "you can always take 10" feat the DM is dumb enough to let you take

for that matter
>what are systems where crits are only a damage amp, or that are a large enough gap on an opposed roll, or that have soak armor

Second sentence, faggot.
>Including things you can't by RAW.
I explicitly said that it's not by the rules as written.

But if you homebrew/houserule in that it's possible for this one character to take 10 on anything, then OP's character works as described. Mostly.

It's theoretically possible. Consider a very simple system, where you roll a single die and need 6 to succeed. If you hyperspecialize character to have +5 modifier in a task, then you will always succeed regardless of the roll. GS is a classic example of a minmaxed character specializing in a single thing breaking the game mechanics meant to resolve actions of more generalist type characters.

Can someone explain how th setting works? I don't get it.

There are some errors in your translation.

You could drop a building on the Nibba.
Like if your default way of solving conflict ja just collapsing a building on top of them without them knowing who you are, then I suppose there really wouldn't be many rolls