I know a lot of people who switched from MtG to boardgames due to cost and other reasons. So how did this sell...

I know a lot of people who switched from MtG to boardgames due to cost and other reasons. So how did this sell? How could Magic profit off old players and nostalgia if they were smart? Seems like an open market.

Old mtg players just cube.

Nostalgia cube. The market is open because quasi-magic sucks. there's plenty to do within mtg if you have half a brain which oldfags usually do.

Did you just want to make a thread?

(you)

Well it's an interesting discussion, I think Wizards is recognizing that some of their sealed products can approximate closed board games and they seem to be rising to the demand. Products like Commander and Duel Decks can allow players to get some great games of Magic out of the box without needing to spend hundreds of dollars cracking packs and buying singles. And with Planeschase Anthology, Archenemy Nicol Bolas and the upcoming Explorers of Ixalan, we now get to play Magic as a board game, as you say. So we're seeing plenty of ways of playing Magic as a closed system game, some of which is even venturing into board games for casual audiences.

To answer your question I have no idea how it performed but I certainly snapped it up when it released and have had plenty of fun with it as games nights. I've been recommending it to friends of all Magic involvement levels. I hope Explorers of Ixalan does as well.

Personally I have a Cube and I always keep the last year of Commander precons sleeved up right out of box so I can get some games in on the snap with guests. I also have like 15 Pauper decks I was able to assemble for less than a Modern Jund deck.

The idea of using preconstructed decks as a way to have affordable Magic suffers from the problem that playing somebody else's deck isn't fun.

That's true, but I'm and I find that amongst casual friends they don't wanna worry about that stuff. Amongst the Pauper collection I have, Bogles and Burn end up being the more popular decks to play. On the flip side, my Vintage Cube is very unpopular with my casual friends. So to a certain extent, you'd want to tailor your collection to the friends you hang out with. Plenty of friends have approached me and asked if Duel Decks are a good starting point for people trying to just play Magic, and they've ended up enjoying it too. Not everyone wants to sit down with their own highly tuned Legacy or Modern decks, even though you and I probably like to do so.

MTG is cancer. It is everything wrong with nerd \ geek culture concentrated intk a shitty card game

It kinda hasn't, at least not in my area. Every store has a bunch on the shelves.

WDHMBT?

Would MtG work as an LCG? Maybe make all the cards in LCG sets and expansions have the white or different colored borders or something that sets them apart from the regular cards. That way, people who do drafts and tournaments can't use the "non-standard" versions.

I like the lore and the kitchen-table playstyle, but it sucks that some cards you might like solely for superficial reasons (like the art) can go for tens or hundreds of dollars just because the market says so.

You say that, but from my experience that first push to get casual players into the game usually results from a theme deck. You pick a deck that looks rad like "shitload of dragons," "army dudes for days," or "wizards up in this bitch" that matches what you think is cool, and then buy a couple of packs and then awkwardly shove big fat Timmy creatures and on-color rares into them.

I think the issue there is that cube as a format just doesn't appeal to people who aren't fully on board with the idea of cube.

This, fuck magic, it is filled with loosers and aspies

So it's just like Veeky Forums?

No particular reason it couldn't. It'd need to shift away from it's current gamblers design though and wouldn't be nearly as popular.

I regret buying it, personally.
The schemes are awful.

Planechase Anthology was the only thing like this worth the money and that was for resale value.

You can play archenemy and planechade just with index cards as they don't need to "feel" right like a proxy does.

>due to cost
I don't get this meme. MtG is as cheap as you want it to be. You can play pauper, budget commander, budget standard, cube etc. and have a lot of fun. I have never spend more than 15$ on a single deck

The bolas deck seems a bit underpowered to me DESU

If everyone in your group isn't on the same page and willing to work together powerlevel can start to creep. It happened to me with Yugioh back in high school. Everything was fun and games until one guy decided to make a meta deck, then it became a fucking arms race.

Yeah, you are right. Remember my first mtg game. My friend - mtg veteran - talked me and few other friends into mtg so we all bought an intro pack for each player. Sadly, he acted like a fuckin waacfag and used his uber standard deck against our precons.

That's how I learned to play. I played against decks that were way better than mine so I lost often, but when I did win. Hoo boy

That's the best way to learn.
When you've got to claw your way to every win.
Tooth and fucking nail.
Delicious.

I still remember my first GOOD deck. BG morbid. It wasn't standard legal, since whenever I went to a game store I'd just pick up whatever cool card I could find for it. But damn it was fun
The two phyrexian obliterators might have helped with the winrate though

I loved this deck. You just had to buy two of pic related and few cheap rares to run a nice and budget standard deck

Main thing is that they use the whole gambler thing to finance everything else they're doing (like art commissions and whatnot, and keeping Hasbro from axing WotC in general)
As long as randomized boosters works, they'll keep doing it, because it's what's keeping them in business. And as much as it sucks for the game itself, I honestly can't fault them for it considering the alternative.

> deck that looks rad like "shitload of dragons," "army dudes for days," or "wizards up in this bitch"

Now i kinda want WoTC to just use these kind of names for their precons.

The problem, at least with my old group, was people having different terms for "cheap". One guy spends a bunch of money pimping out his EDH deck and it kills the group. We had a guy turn his "kitchen table" deck into essentially a Legacy deck.

It's hard to get a group of people all on the same page, especially with a group of nerds. Always one person who ruins it for everyone.

It's better than generic bullshit like "DRAGONS ROAR" or "VAMPIRIC BLOODLUST," at least