So Veeky Forums, your current/most recent adventuring party is now dropped into the role of the Gunslinger...

So Veeky Forums, your current/most recent adventuring party is now dropped into the role of the Gunslinger, and must manage to stop pic related. How well do they manage?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(comics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Punch it til it dies.

>CK: *KA INTENSIFIES*
>CK: ~Why are you hitting yourself?~ ~Why are you hitting yourself?~
That's basically what would happen.

Kill themselves and hope they get reincarnated in a setting made by someone that isn't a hack like Stephen King.

We cast Miracle and wish that we win. Easy as pie.

Nah, see, we'd be punching him, not ourselves.

I mean, despite the crimson king being the BBEG, he's not actually that threatening

Put them up against the Man In Black instead

>I mean, despite the crimson king being the BBEG, he's not actually that threatening
Thats mostly because the entity that was *supposedly* the Crimson King, was actually it's avatar Los, who had been using a (mostly) mortal host to do most of its work, which eventually led to it degrading and becoming insane. The True Red King, Dis, is pent up directly below Gan in the Tower, and is heavily limited in what it can do within Creation.

Never read the books OP, give us a run down of Crimson King's power over here.

Why?

He was explicitly unkillable due to already being dead, but aside from that did he actually have any powers?

I used that picture for a bbeg. He was a count and sorcerer and was torturing his kingdom to draw from their misery and force his ascension into a god. Got to dark, so I abandoned the idea

Stephen King is one of the best sci fi authors who ever lived.

Pretty much, he could manipulate "Ka" (Fate) within the countless universes that the Dark Tower holds, in order to cause chaos, natural disasters, empower his servants with *literal* plot-shielding, kill beings in universes very, very far from where he is pent up, and a whole host of other shit I can't remember. He was also a powerful shapeshifter and could transform into things that could make ones "brain drip from their ears". This was all just *one* avatar of the True King by the way, a mere fragment of the whole that was possessing/inhabiting a rather mortal vessel. The True King was the *entirety* of the Outer Dark itself, and was pretty much impossible to face directly. There where also other avatars, but I will only elaborate on those if you want to hear about them.

Well it sounds like the only way to beat a guy who can control the literal plot is to start finding ways to manipulate fate yourself.

What is he ripping off in those books? Why is the series bad?

Funny enough, that's kind of what the main character had to do.

Sounds like my Through The Breach campaign players should be fine then, alternating between throwing magic taking pot shots and running between decent hands to cheat fate with, they might stand a chance against a Tyrant level enemy. What are his direct combat abilities user?

>There where also other avatars, but I will only elaborate on those if you want to hear about them.
shit, senpai, you made this thread without worrying about that, why stop now?

>shit, senpai, you made this thread without worrying about that, why stop now?
Can't really tell if you wish for me to elaborate, or you're just being sparky (perhaps both). Here, have some Black 13.

Dude, there's a thread bashing Stephen King on /tv/ RIGHT NOW. Go on that instead.

The only reason anyone gives a shit about Stephen "The Cuck" King is because of all the movie adaptations that are better than the books they're based on, like The Shining with Kubrick's directing and Nicholson's acting, or It with Tim Curry as Pennywise and the decision not to include the child orgy, or The Mist where even Stephen King admits the ending is better.

My Acanthus Mage astrally projects into Gensokyo, and gets Flandre Scarlet, Yukari Yakumo, and Reimu to help him beat him up.

Why is he named the crimson king? Is it a reference to the band?

Calling him a hack isnt saying his works are derivative, but in general King does write a ton of shock-jocky garbage. That said, most of the gunslinger stuff falls well outside that range. While I agree that king is better than the average writer, I genuinely suspect none of his novels will ever be true classics.

Maybe? I think it's more or less supposed to make him more of a "Satan" analogue. Then again, Stephen was fuck-off drunk when he wrote most of the Gunslinger stuff, so who knows?

What can this fucker even do? Throw grenades and that's it?

Sometimes I wish I could forget books 5-7. Fucking Crimson King turning out to be a deranged Santa Claus that throws Harry Potter grenades and is killed by some nobody who draws him out of existence was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

To say nothing of Walter o'Dim being killed by a spider baby, or that spider baby being bamboozled by tainted horse meat. Or Susannah riding a three wheeler into another dimension to live with alternate reality versions of her loved ones.

Or fucking Jake saving the IRL Stephen King from the truck...

That was his avatar, Los who was running on paint-fumes near the end. The True Red King is Dis, Gan's equal and opposite, the Outer Dark itself, the Red to Gan's White. The senseless Random that grants powers of plot to its forces, and has promised Los eternal rule if he annihilated the Tower.

desu Drawing of Three or The Wastelands was the highpoint for me, but the LOW point was fucking wizard and glass
we get it
you have a tortured childhood backstory and lost love
but I really couldn't care less, Roland

not him
please elaborate

Source?
Am a huge fan of the series, read all the books but dont remember this.

Pretty much, there was a set of magical orbs known as Maerlyn's Rainbow, thirteen coloved spheres of raw mystical power, with the first twelve representing the Twelve Guardians of the Beams, each having the secret of afferent kind of magic. But the last, Black Thirteen, embodied the Dark Tower itself, which was filled with the primordial evil of the monster-infested void that existed between the worlds. Each of them were possessed of a different Demon, and *all* of them were evil, with Black Thirteen being both the most evil, and the most powerful. For Black Thirteen was not *just* a mere cursed artifact, but a manifestation of the Crimson King itself.

We would use a magic ritual to summon pic related and they could fight it out

Nothing is *explicitly* stated in the books themselves, but little tidbits are given that point to the Crimson King being *far* greater than he was portrayed by the last book. Here's a few quotes:
>But Gan was not the only demiurge to arise from that primordial magical soup. And just as night inevitably follows day, and as the ki'box must sit below the heart and the head, so that which came after the bright light of Gan dragged like a heavy shadow. What bubbled up from the depths of the Prim with a great burping stench of decay was the force of the Outer Dark, the ki'box of eternity. - The Gunslinger Born
>

>“You asked how many worlds," Parkus begins. “The answer, in the High Speech, is da fan: worlds beyond telling." With one of the blackened sticks he draws a figure eight on its side, which Jack recognizes as the Greek symbol for infinity.

>“There is a Tower that binds them in place. Think of it as an axle upon which many wheels spin, if you like. And there is an entity that would bring this Tower down. Ram Abbalah."

>At these words, the flames of the fire seem to momentarily darken and turn red. Jack wishes he could believe that this is only a trick of his overstrained mind, but cannot. “The Crimson King," he says.

>Yes. His physical being is pent in a cell at the top of the Tower, but he has another manifestation, every bit as real, and this lives in Can-tah Abbalah - the Court of the Crimson King."

>“Two places at once." Given his journeying between the world of America and the world of the Territories, Jack has little trouble swallowing this concept.

>“Yes."

>
“If he - or it - destroys the Tower, won’t that defeat his purpose? Won’t he destroy his physical being in the process?"

>Just the opposite: he’ll set it free to wander what will then be chaos . . . din-tah . . . the furnace. Some parts of Mid-World have fallen into that furnace already." - Black House

>Stephen King is one of the best sci fi authors who ever lived.
My players don't know this but all my sci-fi games take place in the Beachworld universe.

Crimson Kings true power is that he is first to utter what will become the modern day autistic 'REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE', In the books, simply written as 'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'

Couldn't he make people's heads explode whilst doing that? I distinctly remebering that being a thing.

Good taste. His sci-fi stuff is generally excellent; The Jaunt is one his top five scariest stories.

IIRC he did exactly this by finding Stephen King in one of many parallel worlds and forcing him to rewrite the books accordingly.

Yeah, the series kind of got dumb towards the end.

I've read all 8 books plus Eluria and there are some deep lorebombs I didn't catch. Where are you getting all this crap from?

Word of god, prequel comic series -
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(comics)

Somebody compiled a whole crap-ton of mostly obscure quotes regarding the strength of the King and other forces.
>Clotho: [Be content with this: beyond the Short-Time levels of existence and the Long-Time levels on which Lachesis, Atropos, and I exist, there are yet other levels. These are inhabited by creatures we could call All-Timers, beings which are either eternal or so close to it as to make no difference.

>Short-Timers and Long-Timers live in overlapping spheres of existence-on connected floors of the same building, if you like-ruled by the Random and the Purpose. Above these floors, inaccessible to us but very much a part of the same tower Of existence, live other beings.

>Some of them are marvelous and wonderful,-others are hideous beyond our ability to comprehend, let alone yours. These beings might be called the Higher Purpose and the Higher Random... or perhaps there is no Random beyond a certain level,we suspect that may be the case, but we have no real way of telling.

>We do know that it is something from one of these higher levels that has interested itself in Ed, and that something else from up there made a countermove. That countermove is you, Ralph and Lois.] - Insomnia