/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/gencon50exclamation-mark-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What's the best WOD related music?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_eBGipALCc8
sendspace.com/file/sn5y9m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What the Fuck!? Another Changeling OP?

How 'bout that Mage Supremacy?

What makes music WoD-related?

This is the only general that has to ask questions like this.

What is the WoD? What is music?

So what happened to Grandmother in Orpheus? What was she hiding in her Towers? Just the idea that non-existence is impossible?
youtube.com/watch?v=_eBGipALCc8
For other realms, like the Shadow or the Astral.

Question if I was going to get started with CofD
where would I begin. There seems like so much material and I know no where I should begin.

First you need to learn the American language.

You have a few options.

I usually recommend doing a mortal game first. It teaches you the basic rules, and lets you get acclimated to the kind of tone you can expect.

So that required the Chronicles of Darkness corebook, and that is all. Your ST may use an additional blue book, but that is up to them.

From there, you just decide what themes you like most, and try another game. Mage, Werewolf, Vampire, the big three are the best places to jump to from there. But there are a lot of game lines.

What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more

Aside from Blut Alchemie and Spoiling, what 'alchemy' based disciplines are there? Considering introducing a hunter-turned-vampire through the Nehebaku Tears elixir and making that his bag to fuck with the players. Or just making him a Bak-Ra, but that's too easy.

Okay thank you! You've made it significantly less confusing lol.

This is good advice, but I'm going to give different advice. Start with Vampire: the Requiem 2nd edition. It has some WoD gameplay elements that mortals games lack, and from what I hear, it's the most popular CofD game, so you're the most likely to be able to find a group to play it with.

Which reminds me, I asked in a previous thread and didn't get an answer: what's the PBP scene like for CofD?

The same as any other PBP scene - unrepentant garbage no matter where you look.

Oh well, at least I got that picture out of asking.

To elaborate: yes, it is mostly VtR games, then poorly designed crossover clusterfucks, then Werewolf or Hunter, then everything else. And no matter where you go, some idiot will beg for Genius to be playable and tell everyone that it's really not that bad, they don't understand why everyone is skeptical.

Play by posters are scum in general, but WoD of any edition or variety has a small number of core PBP players who infest games and kill them.

Now I'm morbidly curious. What are the symptoms of this plague?

Cool picture

Those sorts of players aren't subtle. You should expect sword wielding lolis, even (and especially) in splats where that makes no sense. Also, unexpected and unwanted swerves into ERP.

what are play by posters?

Is this chapter on 'the infection' in Hurt Locker the 'Contagion' that they are talking about for the crossover chronicle? Or was that in a different book?

Pretty sure the Contagion will be something new, if for no other reason than they can't sell it too good if it's just "HEY REMEMBER THE TOXINS SIDEBAR: THE BOOK"

People who do play by post, which is Satan's preferred method of tabletop games.

I thought it was something from the horror recognition guide?

Do you think they'll be expanding it from that Philadelphia photographs thing?

So I am building a sneaky demon. He is very sneaky. I know he needs Parkour(●●●), Slight of Hand(●●), and Slight Frame(●●). That leaves 3 merit points, and I don't want primum.

There are three directly scaling merits I think are useful. Fast Reflexes, Fleet of Foot, and Anonymity. How should I invest my last 3 merit points?

Anonymity.

Though won't that just apply to that particular cover? Though I guess that doesn't matter in the case of a starting cover that will be your main.

Drop a few dots in bolt hole.

Have you considered Advance Form from Flowers of Hell?

So Veeky Forums, how ridiculous can you make a Vampire build for Requiem 1e?

It can be anything as long as it's effective. So like, if he's a fighter he has to be good at killing shit, but he can do that with swords, or guns, or elaborate rube-goldberg style traps, I don't care.

I asked my GM what his limits were for this one-shot he's putting together, and he told me to 'do my worst'.

So my worst, as someone who's never played WoD before, is to ask Veeky Forums for advice.

What's good/stupid/powerful and what makes it that way?

Blood Sorcery: Sacraments and Blasphemies. Improvise every goddamned ritual, and power up to get your destruction/divination traits as high as you can.

Advanced Form or Terrible From. You can never have enough form powers. And 3 dots in Terrible From is going to a new Modification, Technology and a Propulsion.

>Philadelphia photographs thing

Please explain?

How strong was the Pogrom? Was it strong enough to wipe out all Tradition mages & supernaturals on the Earth when it was on its height?

Yes to the other mages, no to all the supernaturals. Just the weaker ones.

"Ten Photographs" from the Horror Recognition Guide.

Are there anyone aside from archmages and some vamp who can actually fuck with splats?

I get that TU had upper edge on Paradox issue, but were they THAT strong in terms of power? Wow.

What did he mean by this?

Like, make a werewolf stop being a werewolf, make a vampire stop being a vampire, turn a werewolf to a vampire, make a new major type of supernatural being, etc.

That's my best guess anyhow. I'm not that user.

Playable PC levels, or are you asking if any beings/things could accomplish that?

With archmages in the picture, I'd guess anything, not just playables, but again, I'm not that user.

Trouble is, somebody signs up for a vampire game, they may not be pleased to stop being a vampire.

>muh last airbender

Can we please not

I figure as long as it is A) punishment for a failure that COULD have just ended in death and B) there is a questline that can end in regaining their vampire nature, it should be possible. Definitely gauge it based on the player though. Some people react better than others, obviously.

I'm assuming you take the technocracy and the pogrom to the logical Mage conclusion where they win. In that situation, yeah, there might be some antediluvians, really old werewolves and the like remaining. But most are dead.

In general 'game play' era, the Technocracy curb stomped Changelings just by existing. The Traditions were suffering hugely from the paradox issue alone, not even counting the general 'fuck you' from Technocracy hunters. The Nephandi didn't care. Werewolves suffered from the strengthening of the Weaver the technocracy promoted. The easterners didn't care, because the Sixth Age is enroute and everyone is fucked, forever. Mummies were cheerfully being jammed into a new Spell of Fuck Everyone Else by Osiris and Ma'at and all the other gods that I forget the names of.

You get the idea. As a general rule, the Technocracy were the king bastards of oWoD unless you brought in Capital W Capital S Weird Shit like Arhats and Antediluvians and Demons, who basically looked at the consensus and smiled politely, then ignored it.

>Werewolves suffered from the strengthening of the Weaver the technocracy promoted

>technofags don't realize that by doing this they're making the strongest most bullshit werewolf splat even stronger

ANANASI ASCENDANT also they can still learn gifts from Weaver spirits and some of them are crazy enough to become cyber wolves

That said:

Idigam (Werewolf foe) have vast power to morph souls, beings, merge beings, make them 'heralds' etc etc. Because Idigam tend to produce powers based on what they need to do, there is little you should put past them. If a story called for it, they could probably strip a splat out of someone.

Pangeans/Spirit Gods - Same here. Once you are stronk enough that your influences are morphing stuff on a level like supernal magic, you can start twisting things at will.

The God-Machine - Obviously, the big GM itself is always down to do something weird for the sake of science. It probably wouldn't be clean, and it would probably be the only time it has happened, but an occult matrix based on some giant infrastructure based on some crazy ritual guarded by some hardcore angel would probably be capable of ripping someone's splat out of them, and maybe putting a new one on them. The GM creates cryptids after all. You may not be 'A Vampire', but hey you are still sucking blood and die in sunlight, close enough right?

True Fae - If you are in their realm in Arcadia, they are god, the devil, and that funny looking rock over there. That's how Changelings end up so weird, after all. But that said, who knows how much of what they do in their realm is permanent if your soul hasn't been fae-touched enough. But while you are in there, you are whatever they want you to be.

I think these pictures are supposed to be the basis for the contagion chronicle story? So I'm snapping the pics to put here.

Does anyone have that collection of DaveB posts?

Sounds like we have strange geometry going on, as well as strange alien-like beings.

So why are abyssal entities scary to a mage? Why is it not another mook to blow up?

>collection of DaveB posts

sendspace.com/file/sn5y9m

The Contagion sound like the Abyss.

1. The Abyss includes stuff outside of the world's usual workings, like places where an Arcanum is missing and doesn't work. For mages, who are used to being in control of some aspects of the world all the time, the prospect of losing a tool is unsettling.

2. The Abyss bends the rules. "Paradox strengthens the Abyss" is not just a platitude. The Abyss is helped, not hindered, by the things that cause trouble for mages.

3. The Abyss persists. It can never be beaten. It can never be fully contained. Abyssal entities and artifacts have ways of escaping from confinement or reappearing after death.

4. The Abyss corrupts. Mages are routinely lured into the use of Abyssal power. Some are only a bit tainted. Others become Scelesti. Mages who sell themselves to the Abyss have a long way to fall. Abyssal Legacies range from servants of a secret Exarch to self-mutilating freaks who replace their own body parts with Abyssal creatures. And yet the time could come when YOU want that power and do the same.

Ta.

So, I'm playing in a Vampire, Werewolf, Mage game, and I'm looking to be playing a Mage soon. Any advice for a newfag to WoD? I'm working with the M20, V20 and W20 books.

>eye on top of a tower
>bronze and brass stuff
>alien entity stuff
People are going to be upset if the Contagion Chronicle is what I think it is.

>servants of a secret Exarch
You mean the one true Waifu, best girl and the lady that preserves the eternity of the fallen world for the benefit of all?

Sorry, got distracted by a chat conversation.

I love how in the last one, there is nothing more 'vampire' than some neonate punk getting scared from his prey by a guy with a bat.

And nothing more vampire than the prey liking it, and being so mad that she attacks her savior.

I assume you're thinking of the Prince of however-many Leaves?

Dont. Play Chronicles 2e instead.

Yeah, this stuff sounds like him. Him being an entire alternate timeline inside the Abyss that matches up with some of this stuff. If there's anything about cannibalism, it would be a dead ringer. Eyes on top of spires, corrupted and wrong reflections of cities, something about bronze and brass or whatever. Sounds like the Prince of 100,000 Leaves, for sure.

So what do we know about 2e Tremere? They use Hollowing instead of Gnosis, can drop into Torpor, can burn the soul attached to them to stay alive in the face of a righteous beating, have their House-legacies and stick their grubby rotted undead dicks in souls. What else?

The only bronze part in the Prince's timeline was the way American princes stuck dead heads on them to watch the living for signs of treason. The Prince thing uses some pretty common signs of extra-universal invasion. I can't imagine it's going to be just Mage 2.0 for everyone.

Thats it.

Is this prince already details in nWoD stuff, or is it an oWoD abyssal entity?

Its obv going to be GM related, its the one thing that is in the core book and the whole God Machine thing was doubled down on in 2e. So yeh i think its going to be GM related.

It'll have fucked up and the world will have gone to shit or something.

>yfw the Contagion Chronicle is an allegory for PBP games.

Its mage stuff, mainly in the boston book. Nwod only.

Damn. I'm just going to assume they're a straight rip off of Dark Souls undead, then, because that sounds amazing.

Maybe one of the GM's alternate timelines in Seattle is escaping.

Boston Unveiled, 1e CofD Mage book.

Assume all you want because you will never see any more actual text on them till 2040.

The God Machine originally got scavenged from an early piece of WoD flavor text that became a fan favorite.

There's been a lot of discussion of the Leaves too. Maybe rather than being part of the God Machine, it's been chosen the same way as the God Machine was, something already published and well-received, but not yet central or fleshed out.

I'm fine with it being a mage-based antagonist. It isn't like abyssal entities only respond to supernal magic.

Actually, more than anything, that seems to be a key to making a crossover antagonist that Mages can take seriously. We talked previously about the possibility of the contagion having some resistance to magic.

Is that a Strix I see?

Looks more like an evil gargoyle to me. But hey, maybe.

Probably.

The Strix and their home honestly remind me of the Abyssal Entities from oWoD, and the updated Khaibit stuff seems to reflect that. Hell, they've even got the Shadowstep power. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that in CC.

Contagion looks Kingdom Death: CofD Edition. If only it also had all the thick, thick waifus.

Another difference, it won't cost 500+ dollars, and will be released before the heat death of the universe.

I do like the theory that The Gate is actually benevolent. He/she/it is stuck with the impossible task of trying to control the uncontrollable thanks to the fuck-ups of the other ten.

I like the prince too, but think all all the fucking hoohaaa if a mage antagonist is the one that fucking starts the crossover campaign.

Maybe its how mages will "get nerfed" if the abyss is stronger or something.

Strix are from the Lower Depths, not the Abyss.

I doubt anything from the Contagion will be from the Lower Depths, rather the Abyss and God Machine are the most likely candidates, particularly since the teaser referred to Infrastructure.

Maybe go back and re-read that post.

IDK, the prince is beyond the pay grade of anything short of an archmage in my opinion.

Interstitial terrain, and the changing city landscapes it references, sounds a whole lot like the spoilers from Tome of the Pentacle about New York.

oWoD has its own Abyss that I think was mainly for Vampire. That's the Abyss user is talking about.

>IDK, the prince is beyond the pay grade of anything short of an archmage in my opinion.

And that's precisely why splats have to band together to fight this new menace...

Viola, crossover!

>I also imagine that CofD archmasters will be on vacation when it come to the Contagion, just like they were in the oWOD when the Technocracy fought Ravnos.

What spoilers from Tome of the Pentacle or New York?

Maybe the Contagion is somehow protected by the Pax Arcanum.

It's closer to the kind of thing that would break it.

I mean, we will see. If it exists and the Pax hasn't broken it, but the archmages have done nothing, that says a lot no?