Is it physically possible for a planet in our universe to exist that has Earth-like qualities (1g of gravity on the...

Is it physically possible for a planet in our universe to exist that has Earth-like qualities (1g of gravity on the surface, strong magnetic field to protect from space radiation, 2/3rds water, 1/3rd land, etc) BUT the planet has 3 times the surface area of our Earth?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1J4iIBKJHLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.

Not all of it.

If you increase surface area and want to keep gravity, and thus mass, at around the same, you need to make the planet out of something considerably less dense than Earth. That in turn implies that you do not have a mostly iron core (iron is dense), which in turn fucks up the magnetic field.

What if it had a supremely dense (but tiny) core and a supremely thick (but light) mantle?

I wonder if you could give it a dense, highly-active, fast-spinning iron moon to produce a magnetic field wide enough to shield the earth?

Alternatively, you could make the planet a moon of a gas giant with a large magnetic field. Although at a certain point, the tidal forces and radiation of the gas giant would probably fuck up the planet more than the sun.

I don't know, three times the surface area is just 1.7 times the radius. This planet wouldn't be that much larger than Earth. You might be able to get away with a low density mantle and keep a dense iron core large enough to generate the magnetic field. Let's see, 1.7 times the radius is 4.9 times the mass, so it has to have 1/.4.9 the density of the Earth. That's 1.12 g/cm^3. Are there any earthen materials with a density lower than that we could fill it with to get a mass surplus we can fill with a dense core and still have that average density?

Every single thing you can imagine is happening somewhere somewhen in some universe at some location in a spatial continuum, so my answer is yes, but it may not be possible in the current spatial continuum.

It's impossible, the real Earth is already hollow so it can't get any lighter.

Shut the fuck up. There is zero proof of alternate universes, dimensions, and or timelines. There is zero proof of intelligent aliens let alone ones with ftl travel which has proven to be fiction.

This post is all the evidence I need to conclude you are a dummy. In every possible timeline from here U ARE SO MAD BRO!

I like you.

>If I ignore all the evidence there's no evidence

Sure. It has shitloads of mountains, cliffs and huge caves.

Those are surfaces.

I would like to point out that the density of Jupiter is 1.33 g/cm^3, and that's mostly in the form of gas. You're talking about an Earth that is less dense than that.

If there is no evidence all that science can say is "We don't know, maybe". The whole scientific model works by disproving things, and then accepting whatever they can't disprove as probably right, until such a time as they can disprove it.

Go to Isaac Arthur's channel on YouTube. If you watch enough of the right videos you should end up with an idea of a planet with the properties you described could be produced.

To exist at all? Yes, although its method of achieving would be pretty marvelous in its complexity. But occurring naturally? That part I don't think really works. But it depends on how much you and your audience care about that part.

So, there are pockets of vacuum in this Earth-like planet, lowering the overall density of the planet but still using substances familiar to us on the qualia level.

Why does it need to be 3 times the size of Earth? Earth is already really big. I'm not sure you realize how much empty land and water Earth has.

Lots of empty water. Much less empty, useful land than there used to be.

yes. The surface is just very crinkly. All mountains.

why is america so big?

Because we worked for it

Sure, if somebody tried really hard to do exactly that for no good reason.

Like say someone went ahead and took Earth. Then they went and build a massive aluminum skeleton around it and then took all the rocky shit off of the Earth and mounted it over top of the aluminum structure they built (in a thinner layer, obviously) and went ahead and moved all the water and shit.

I mean "three times the surface area" wouldn't even be that hard because math and shit. Fuckin... geometry. Increase the sphere's radius by X, you know? That shit.

Could it occur naturally?

Shit, I doubt it.

Maybe if there was a fuck-ton of caves under there. Just the whole thing was all littered with caves.

Not that guy, but how do you suppose those pockets of vacuum would form?

It might be a world created to custom specifications. But you probably mean how would they form naturally.

Erm, let's see. Pockets of something that absorbs into the unyielding stuff around it over time, leaving a vacuum where it once was? Micro-explosions (or one very big one) during the planet's formation, just before the structural parts hardened?

Fizzy lava.

A chemical reaction when the planet was forming caused the vast majority of the rock on the planet to be filled with tiny gas-filled pockets (like pumice)

Nothing? Darn. Was hoping that would turn into an interesting conversation.

The world is a Dyson shell built around a spinning magnetic black hole.

mah nigga

Flatly scientifically? Not likely, unless there is some sort of sufficiently advanced science as to be indistinguishable from magic. Something similar is certainly possible, but it;d be an earth at 1.3 gravity and weird elemental makeup. Add an extra half area instead of tripling the size and its certainly possible

No. Messing with mantle density assuming normal laws of physics is impossible. Certain minerals have set densities under certain conditions of mostly temperature and pressure. Changing those conditions would fuck up much more things you could possibly imagine. Not even mentioning that variance of density as related to those properties isn't nearly enough for significant change.
Assuming that "somehow" it is possible to make planet from some magical less dense material without changing conditions, the change itself again would fuck up much more things you could possibly imagine.

It is absolutely impossible if you want to be even superficially scientific. Of course, that doesn't mean shit if you need it for fantasy or space-opera tier sci fi.

t. geologist

>Inner Earth to be re-drawn by someone who has been there! Thank you...

Sure. You can go with way more surface area too. You take something called 'dynamically supported structure' and use it to create huge amount of orbital rings around something like a gas giant at the height at which gravity is about 9,8. Then you build foundation over that and pour in rock, dirt, atmosphere and water. You make magnetic field with satellites or running superconductive cables across the whole thing or you use natural field of the gas giant.

Is it possible to have a natural orbiting ring? What about a natural orbiting ring with an atmosphere?

Natural is a strict no. Active support is active because you pour energy in for it to not fall apart. If you really need natural stuff you can theoretically have donut shaped planet but it would be unstable and really darn improbable. You can say that it is just there built by someone so long ago no one remembers. More on torus worlds here: youtu.be/1J4iIBKJHLA

>If there is no evidence all that science can say is "We don't know, maybe". The whole scientific model works by disproving things, and then accepting whatever they can't disprove as probably right, until such a time as they can disprove it.
lol, no. Something that cannot be disproved is also known as something not falsifiable, which exists entirely outside the realms of science.

ringworlds are pretty cool desu.

That already happens a lot, they are called geodes, usually they have an inner layer of quartz. Anyway, it wouldn't really be the same as "vacuum".

Is there any reason why your game can't take place on a ringworld or tiny dyson sphere ?

It would if the gasses leached into the mineral casings over time.

then again if it orbited an orange dwarf the planet would also receive significantly less ionizing radiation which could alleviate the weaker magnetic field

There is a somewhat reasonable mathematical proof of intelligent life.

No.Set your game where you want. But be prepared for scorn and derision if you want to run a hard scifi game on either, as our current tech and understanding o the sciences means we cannot reasonably build these structures.

This, just Underdark the SHIT out of your planet, OP.

>as our current tech and understanding o the sciences means we cannot reasonably build these structures.
I think it's less of a tech/understanding issue and more of a logistical/cost issue. We can barely afford to build and maintain a science station because of the cost of throwing things into orbit.

Maybe instead of vacuum it's just lighter elements (periodic table) in the mantle and outwards? For there to be enough vacuums or gas pockets to affect the gravity to that amount while still keeping volcanic activity and a magnetic field would require said pockets to be in the liquid mantel.
Maybe just a shit ton of gas-filled geodes?

Would it be easier to imagine a gas giant that had three earth-like moons in close proximity to one another, so that it would require a space program less advanced then Apollo to get between them? Or is gravity gonna fuck them up at that point?

Imagine the gravity of a gas giant in your vicinity

honestly, I would be spooked as fuck to ever leave my house

If the threes are copies of the Earth, going from one to the other is still going to be real hard. They'd put more effort into their space programs than us though, no doubts.