How would you run a Harry Potter campaign Veeky Forums?

How would you run a Harry Potter campaign Veeky Forums?

IDK about running, but the chargen sounds like Burning Wheel.

first rule is noone gets to have a shotgun

Why would I even want to run anything based on one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Great pasta, that I wholly agree with.

I wouldn't

Thanks

Into the ground.

Begin each session reminding the players that it's an adventure of mainly investigation and espionage, not a dungeon crawl.
Considering the only human characters who don't go down to a single Stupefy are masters with decades of experience, you generally want to avoid combat.

/mu/ is this you

I would use Dogs in the Vineyard.

I'd remove the Harry Potter part and just focus on the concept of playing students at a magical boarding school. There's tons of neat stuff you can do with the generic idea without shackling yourself to the Harry Potter franchise.

Hermione Trainer RPG

>The Great Gatsby
>God-Tier
Boy I hope this is bait

>How would you run a Harry Potter campaign Veeky Forums?
Academagia. No, not the Veeky Forums homebrew, that has nothing to do with it.

There isn't a single Tier chart in existence that is not bait.

See: Little Witch Academia

Academagia is a great idea, designed and programmed by literal retards.

Also year 2 is never ever coming out.

>players are allowed to pull out bullshit deus ex machinas spells and magic out of their asses once per session, but only to deal with minor issues and afterwards ignore it and other potential uses for it
>players have to cram in a shitload of stereotypes and cliches into their PCs and then have to stick to them
>players will have to roll for each combat spell to check for the most important stat ingame, if they truly love/care/hate enough to beat the other persons feelings
>simplify the world into the most basic setting so that the players aren't faced with too much challenges apart from the challenge of beating the main bad guy
>as the GM I reserve the right to physically assault players who I suspect are Nazis, but at the same time I expect my players to sprinkle a racist stereotype or two into their characters

>Half of the shit tier is Fantasy

Well, we don't have anything better, so we work with what we've got, man.
It's like complaining that SS13 is written in BYOND - a fair point, but no has ever succeeded in fixing it.

That's a valid point, but it won't stop me from being mad.

>A muggle finds out about wizards.
>"Lets just erase his memories. Wait, what does 'live stream' mean?"
>Everyone freaks out.
>Muggles learn about magical creatures, and how they are treated.
>Humanitarian intervention approved by UN Security Council

Party is a special forces team in 3rd Emancipated Elf Brigade. Currently deployed in the siege of Hogwarts.

>a 15-year-old's impression of high school required reading.jpeg

Fate.

Magic is just a plot device in HP anyways, so go with something narrative.

Don't set it during canonical events. That way you don't have to worry about everyone trying to play fix-fic on the books. I like the idea of Victorian, but that does mean you won't get the modern perspective on the craziness of Hogwarts. You could set it some time in the 20th century not during canon, though.

But user we already have slave trainer games

Investigative urban fantasy police/detective style.

Just set it one or two years after Harry graduates where you've got this huge void before canon covers anything.

I'd hack Gumshoe, most of the HP books are about running around investing what weird shit is going down that year at school anyway.

This shit is why I will never go to Veeky Forums.
Went there once.
I will never complain about Veeky Forums autism again.

Bubblegumshoe with some sort of basic magic system (maybe the powers from Mutant City Blues) might work pretty well.

Definitely a system low on combat and high on talky and investigative bits.
I'd remove AK because a no save, unblockable death spell is stupid in a game.

I wouldn't.

Harry potter is not good writing or even a good story; Much like star wars, the only good thing about it is the universe in which the story happens.

All of the star wars movies were shit. Shit. Pure. Garbage. But the universe is so interesting and fun that we don't care. The same thing happens with harry potter.