Me and my brothers are trying to break into tabletop games but since there are only three of us total...

Me and my brothers are trying to break into tabletop games but since there are only three of us total, it severely hampers our ability to play most games especially if one of us is acting as DM/GM. I have heard that it is very difficult to pull off a two person party game. Are there any role playing games that are good for three players or two players and a DM/GM? Or should I just hold off until we can get more players? Are there role playing games that don't require a DM/GM?

Also are there any resources to help me learn how to DM/GM properly so I don't complete butcher our first games?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I don't know enough about tabletop to know what I don't know.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iJi42I3JWTY?t=6
youtu.be/e-YZvLUXcR8
youtube.com/watch?v=BMNOgQXXh5k
youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have you already decided what system and kind of adventure you want to get into? Some systems are better than others at this.

I would think that between three siblings you ought be to able to scrounge together 2 or 3 more friends in a pretty short amount of time.

There's a book called the Dungeon Master's Guide. It's probably the best advice you'll receive on how to DM.

Also, I like games with two players. Keeps things nice and focused.

If you're looking to learn the basics of GMing, watch Matthew Colville's videos on it. They're enthusiastic and come from years of experience.

Also a lot of people are probably gonna say GURPS. GURPS is good, but it's never the best at anything.

Since he has no clue yet, he might as well start with D&D 5e, and then once he learns enough about games to actually care about the distinction between their nuances he can worry about choosing systems.

I'd recommend FATAL. The rulebook may seem daunting in size but it's actually a very intuitive system.

This is true. It lacks a dearth of options but that makes it simple and approachable for new people.

This is a joke do not listen to this.

But what if he wants to go sci fi instead? That's mainly why I asked.

DOOBLEEDOO XDDD POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS BUY MY BOOKS FANTASY POLITICS MEANS RACISM XDDD GAEM OF THRONES XD I HAVE KIDS THAT MEANS ITS OK FOR ME TO BE A NECKBEARD BUY MY BOOKS

A two player game isn't that bad. In fact any game worth printing will have ways to adjust things if you only have two people in the party. 5th Edition D&D is good for beginners, so are more freeform things like Mutants and Masterminds, but I personally don't like that system.

Are you ok user?

>>>reddit

Well, in fact, it's not that hard.
Two players can make for very good interaction.

The main problem wouldn't be on the narrative side, but rather on the mechanical one.
You'll have to make weaker ennemies (shouldn't be that hard) and if one player get uncouscious, it's gonna be really hard for the other to pull it off.

One thing to avoid that is for you to have a DMPC. Have your own charachter among the player. Mind you, it's a dangerous option, and you should always be sure that you're DMPC is not overshadowing the heroes. If he can be a healer, or any kind of charachter behind the lines would be good. An animal is also a good choise.

Few classic RPG doesn't have GM and it's gonna be hard for any kind of long campaign.

For ressources, there are some in the internet, but the best way to learn is by playing. As long as you and you're players are having fun, you're doing it right.
Also, talk with them about what kind of games you want and the want. Communication is key

You can definitely dm with two players, it'll be fine. If you just want to dive in and play, try Risus for a quick one-shot game. It'll give you an opportunity to see roleplaying games without having to learn a bunch of rules. It's like a few pages and only requires normal six sided dice.

I've attached the main pdf so you can skim it. I would recommend coming up with a cute little story to play through in one sitting with your brothers. Run the game for them using this and see if you guys have fun. Then go from there. There are a ton of systems that have cool rules and settings etc but without someone to teach you it might be hard to pick up off the bat.

Two players and a GM? That sounds like the making of a buddy cop movie. Time for you to find out how to Veeky Forums The Hard Way

>>>/youtube/

Fuck you guy, you don't get to tell me which of my posts are jokes friend.

Here's the character sheets.

I'm sorry your thread has already turned into shitflinging and screeching. Try not to take it personally, this is just how neckbeards are

This is a great idea.

It's actually way easier to run for two players than four. It takes less time between turns there, there are less crazy player driven variables to manage and you generally have less comments and questions to worry about at one time. I think two players is probably the perfect number for a first time GM.

The only reason you'd feel the need to have more is to meet the traditional party roles. Really that isn't a requirement in most cases with most games. You can run a game with all fighters, only thieves and wizards, whatever.

For few guys just scale back encounters. It's way easier to alter your notes before hand than deal with bunch of dudes during the game.

You're goddamn right.

Yes the #1 tip for a new dm is never tell the players how much hp the enemies have so that if things get rough or take too long you can say.. 'You got him!' and end it. Or if they do more damage than expected you just double the hp or whatever.

youtu.be/iJi42I3JWTY?t=6

Fuck, I wanna watch this. Come over to my place, user I'll order pizza and you can grab some beer, we'll watch all three Cornetto movies

>I would think that between three siblings you ought be to able to scrounge together 2 or 3 more friends in a pretty short amount of time.
Well I'm a recluse, my first brother is surrounded mostly by asshole lab mates who he gets enough of their shit in a work day, and my older brother is friends mostly with Veeky Forums and poly-sci nerds who aren't too keen on rpgs. We could probably find someone but it would take a while. I'm just trying to find something for the interim.

Is there any changes other than easier encounters one should make to a campaign to accommodate a small party size? Is there anything I should keep in mind with two people?

I want to do sci-fi games in the future when I get some footing but for now I think I should stick to basics.

even then, it seems easiest to play a couple 5e games just to get used to how trpgs play out and "feel" then they can start looking at either homebrewing 5e for sci-fi or doing the smart thing and finding a better system.

So, three people is enough to run a very basic game, but the number I always recommend is 4-5. Including the GM.

Yes there are roleplaying games that do not require a GM, but generally they are expensive and rules heavy. I would recommend looking into Kingdom of Death.

Here is what you need to know about any kind of roleplaying game. They are like a roadtrip and the system you use is the car your ridding in. Basically it doesn't matter if your in a beat up old clunker or not the point is the journey and the company you keep during the trip.

If you want some ideas of how to GM I have two recommendation on youtube.
For understanding gameplay and set up look as well as the crunch when it comes to RPG's I recomment Mathew Colville. He's a professional game designer does a lot of DnD and knows his shit.
youtu.be/e-YZvLUXcR8
For understanding the roleplay and the improve I recommend checking out The Third Wheel. They focus more on the roleplaying and mechanics that are conducive to that.
youtube.com/watch?v=BMNOgQXXh5k

You should think deeply about the obstacles. Sneaking somewhere can be a lot of fun, but it becomes a nightmare if no one of the chars are able to do it.

Make sure that the information are easy to get when they are on the right path. The more people there is, the easier it is to gather information or solving puzzles.

Give them contacts, allies and such. They are two to play but should not feel alone.
You could totally start by sci.fi. It's not the purest classic, but one of the main genre anyway. Traveller would be a good and light enough system.

For Sci-fi
Starfinder: Fantasy in SPACE
Eclipse phase: Existential horror if you've played Soma you get the idea.
Cyberpunk 2020: youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs
Shadow Run: It's like cyberpunk with magic and ask questions like "What if Bill Gates was a dragon"
And then there are all the license ones like Derp Heresy, Star Wars, Star Trek, ect.

>Give them contacts, allies and such. They are two to play but should not feel alone.
I have been considering building the campaign around the small part size by making it so they are actually out of their depth with only two but place an emphasis on accomplishing tasks by recruiting allies (DM controlled) to take care of difficult encounters and building a strong network which can support them. Make the small party size a mechanic while, and bring diplomacy and charisma to the fore.

Here is the most important thing you need to know about encounters.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOW THE PLAYERS ANY OF THE STATS
There is nothing wrong with making monsters weaker on the fly, or having them run away.
What I do when ever I run a game is I have several encounters and then just a list of monsters I like.
For Example
Goblins

Orcs

Dragon

Then when the players enter a area on the fly I will go
"Okay here there are 20 goblins" and then I use the same stats for all of them
I might change there damage or give them different weapons, but the numbers I change at will and I see how the party deals with them then adjust accordingly.
If they have been having a easy time I might throw that Dragon at them, but also include some orcs in there as well. If they have been getting there ass kicked the dragon might not even be there he might be out stealing a maiden giving them time to rest.
And if you end up just wrecking them out of no where you can always give them a do over in the form of "Oh no you guys were captured!"

Start off really simple. They have already been hired to do a job, their characters already agreed to it, and they are already at the front door.