Scary nature thread. Post stuff that would be right at home as monsters or environmental dangers for a fantasy campaign

Scary nature thread. Post stuff that would be right at home as monsters or environmental dangers for a fantasy campaign.

This is Clathrus archeri fungus, commonly known as octopus stinkhorn, or devil's fingers. Apparently it smells like putrid flesh when it has matured and deployed it's "arms"

Xenomorph eggs anyone?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrus_archeri

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2009/09/30/bdelloid-rotifers-80-million-years-without-sex/
huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/bdelloid-rotifers-sex-dna_n_2152426.html
sportfishingmag.com/news/needlefish-attacks-russian-tourist-and-paralyzes-her
youtu.be/GCh3JdMMwY0
youtu.be/uVnDJMjNySg
youtu.be/_8FVpj0p-iU
youtube.com/watch?v=5_bzyAlspNI
youtu.be/eKK-_N7XO1s
youtu.be/EBYmiqad_-M
youtu.be/zv3bqTNzcrA
youtu.be/nFHyfmUr0Mo
youtu.be/lKXEKQb_hxo
youtu.be/XGM6sHIJuho
youtu.be/fU6XTZ1vEoM
youtu.be/BNPofhjkEto
youtu.be/nlRkwuAcUd4
youtu.be/qSSSSt-b9gk
youtu.be/3i_axpk0a7Q
youtu.be/ubNm5M2-LAc
youtu.be/kFV5tjo80QQ
youtu.be/2YZJt_Bw3eo
youtube.com/watch?v=Dvppzq4arC4
youtu.be/dNAk6oIKAjI
youtu.be/F6tvF1HtjLI
youtu.be/iSaOecltEjI
youtu.be/UKkrZ5LuJ-I
youtu.be/3H4J5QDQeA4
youtu.be/ctoBivu2NSE
optimalprediction.com/radiation-eating-fungi-they-kill-trees-and-they-kill-people/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

African armored ground cricket.
Cannibalistic and can squirt a blood-like substance up to 5 cm to deter predators

Here's a fun little bugger we really don't know much about yet. The antarctic worm species called Eulagisca Gigantea.

That's the most fabulous graboid I've ever seen

Some really fucking weird fish caught off the coast of Russia.

what's this then?

WHAT THE HELL THIS THREAD

FUCK

FUCK THAT

FUCK THIS

Hawaiian carnivorous caterpillar.

The Cordyceps is a fungoid parasite that "remote controls" it's host even after death of the host has occured. Usually only infects ants and wasps but scientists recently found a strain that has evolved to infect large spiders.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE KILL IT WITH FIRE NOPE NOPE NOPE

So THAT'S where staple-removers come from!
I've never seen one before it was harvested and mounted.

I knew I kept this around for a reason.

>This entire thread.
At times I wonder if the Demons and monsters most think are "fake" or "fantasy", are already here on Earth, and are far, *far* worse than anything we could possibly imagine.

These little structures protect spider eggs in the Amazon. They grow up to make nests that camouflage with the corpses of their prey.
Not incredibly creepy, but imagine stumbling upon a group of those structures scaled up.

This is one of their nests. Just fucking covered in dead spider food.

Hansel and Gretel missed out by not having the Gingerbread house encrusted with children's bones on the inside.

That's a frilled shark. They live in deep high pressure waters and die when they reach surface leveled waters. They're harmless to people.

See this little fucker? You may think he seems cute, and possibly even harmless right? Well you're dead wrong. That is a Japanese Mountain Leech, and it is not confined to bodies of water like most of its kind. This little shit will cling to solid surfaces, and flail around trying to reach you, and once it latches on, it will proceed to chew through your clothes to get to your delicious, and tender flesh. Not that terrifying, but still pretty disturbing.

Here, have a Chimaera for your troubles Veeky Forums.

>If it gets close just hit it with shampoo

Haha seriously fuck nature

Animals being tricky is terrifying.

>That's the most fabulous graboid I've ever seen

Best post

Dat airtime tho

Not a day goes by where I don't wonder if I'm actually in some sick hell.

In the last (I think) deep sea hell thread, someone posted that sea louse that hunts females, rapes them, and then they get eaten by their babies while dying in a pile of other females.

Fuck nature.

Russia exists, so it may be true.

That's one of the fuckers that ate Amelia Earhart.

Oh wow, it looks like a golden toilet brush with teeth

Bobbit worms.

Oh wow, they make little fences to protect their babies

That's cute as fuck

If people ever tell you that monsters and demonic abominations "don't exist", simply tell them to take a proper fucking *look* at nature and see for themselves.

sarcasm much?

What's really neat is they don't follow the same egg strategy as almost every other type of spider, even accounting for the structure.

Instead of laying a large clutch like usual, each of those little spires only has 2 or 3 eggs in each.

From the thumbnail I thought it was just a bloated tick or something.
I shouldn't have opened it.

Rhinoceros beetle?

Wise words, suffered same fate. So much worse than a bloated tick.

I think so

Looks like candy

This is why you don't let yourself get intestinal parasites, people.

I'd actually have to debate with myself whether or not to show the patient what had been inside them.

A large part of me would think it's a kindness to just never let them see, regardless of how curious they might be.

Is the the parasite itself or is that parasite wrapped in intestine?

Did they cut out part of the intestine with it? Speak of overkill, ain't there an easier way?

10/10

I'm loving the idea of a monster who's home looks like rock formations or even glittering gold from a distance. But when you get closer you see the drained corpses and bones.

I don't understand what I'm seeing here.

also I would debate most people have parasites inside them, we just aren't aware of it because we don't go to the doctor every week since shit is expensive as fuck

The latter
If I recall correctly, the parasites inside the intestine killed it, so the only thing the doctors could do was surgically remove the tract. Poor bastard that had that inside him

>speak of overkill
well that or there's a parasite so persistent the only way to remove it is to amputate the piece of intestine it's attached to

which one you think's more likely?

>Cthulhuworld

Disgusting. I'm really happy all I get to complain about in western europe is sub-par weather.

western food tends to be clean enough most folks are free of macroscopic parasites
and generally speaking any microbiotic parasites tend to be chased away by the horde of symbiotic microorganisms who prefer our intestinal track be as healthy and functional as possible

That's good to know, imo. So generally we are safe from parasites?

We have plenty of microscopic organisms living on us, including very, very, very tiny worms that live on our eyelashes. That's alongside symbiotic bacteria that does everything from help us digest to fight against harmful bacteria on our skin.

As far as parasites though, that refers to not something that simply lives on or in us, but actually causes us harm, and those are very noticeable unless you have many other health issues.

it happens, occasionally folks tend to get parasites but even if you do end up with some unwanted passengers western medicine is of a sufficiently high quality they get discovered before they can do any real damage (or are the type that don't really do damage in the first place) or worst come the damage can be reversed

if you hear about these terrible untreated infestations generally speaking they're in poor countries with shitty healthcare, heck I believe at this point the majority of parasites by western folks are acquired on holidays

Cook 'em and they taste like peanut butter.

If you're worried about weird shit in your guts, just develop a taste for spicy food. Taco night is as hard on worms as it is on your asshole.

On it.

that's why India is notorious for it's safe for foreigners food that contains absolutely no parasites

What the fuck? Did it just chuck a fish in the air? I'm assuming this is to help it draw the seagulls to the water?

Imagine swimming in a sea of these

>sea louse that hunts females, rapes them, and then they get eaten by their babies while dying in a pile of other females.

I'm not sure weather to be proud or horrified of my own erection.

That doesn't look too bad.
Unless those are the ones that swim up your peehole.
Then no fucking thanks.

terrifying until you notice they have googly eyes

A country that eats cow shit and drinks carbonated cow piss and has designated shitting streets has more trying to kill you than just intestinal parasites.

PREDATOR

Indeed.
Without the eyes they'd be terrifying, with them they're actually kind of cute.

There's a reason why our stomachs have evolved to digest what is essentially a low-grade chemical weapon. It kills the bad shit in our guts before the bad shit kills us.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

I'm honestly disapointed because there's nothing new in this thread. Then again, I have nothing I haven't posted in Veeky Forums already.

scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2009/09/30/bdelloid-rotifers-80-million-years-without-sex/
huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/bdelloid-rotifers-sex-dna_n_2152426.html
>up to 10 percent of the active genes in microscopic bdelloids comes from bacteria and other organisms like fungi and algae
...You are what you eat.

sportfishingmag.com/news/needlefish-attacks-russian-tourist-and-paralyzes-her
The living arrow of the ocean

youtu.be/GCh3JdMMwY0

youtu.be/uVnDJMjNySg

youtu.be/_8FVpj0p-iU

youtube.com/watch?v=5_bzyAlspNI

youtu.be/eKK-_N7XO1s

youtu.be/EBYmiqad_-M

youtu.be/zv3bqTNzcrA

youtu.be/nFHyfmUr0Mo

youtu.be/lKXEKQb_hxo

youtu.be/XGM6sHIJuho

youtu.be/fU6XTZ1vEoM

youtu.be/BNPofhjkEto

youtu.be/nlRkwuAcUd4

youtu.be/qSSSSt-b9gk

youtu.be/3i_axpk0a7Q

youtu.be/ubNm5M2-LAc

youtu.be/kFV5tjo80QQ

youtu.be/2YZJt_Bw3eo

youtube.com/watch?v=Dvppzq4arC4

youtu.be/dNAk6oIKAjI

youtu.be/F6tvF1HtjLI

youtu.be/iSaOecltEjI

youtu.be/UKkrZ5LuJ-I

youtu.be/3H4J5QDQeA4

youtu.be/ctoBivu2NSE

optimalprediction.com/radiation-eating-fungi-they-kill-trees-and-they-kill-people/

>Unless those are the ones that swim up your peehole.
No, those in that pic are mostly harmless. The peehole-destroyers are far, *far* worse.

In case it isn't clear, the dolphin is using a headless fish to fap.

You ever just get so excited about a fish you roll over and nom your mate's arm?

Man fuck dolphins

Not as bad as the one sea lion raping the penguin

Baby seal

Flung it into the air so that the impact would stun/kill it and be easier to deal with

You're one ugly motherfucker...

>Flung it into the air so that the impact would stun/kill it and be easier to deal with

It's a baby seal. It didn't fling it up into the air to make it easier to deal with. It flung it up in the air because killer whales are fucking murderous psychos.

>Dolphins
>Have intelligence almost on par with humans
>Use it to rape and torment your fellows for days on end, or until they die from the strain.
Damned Dolphins man.

Is it a coincidence that a dolphin's nose is basically shaped like a dildo?

And then there's this shit.

>This entire fucking thread

they're like retarded green dogs

That is terrifying

Bobbit worms
>someone found this worm in their coral tank
>can't physically remove it as it's many legs keep it anchored
>eats all the fish and even the coral
>fed it bait worm that's filled with glue and glass shards
>it still lived days after like nothing happened

I'm never quite sure whether to find these guys adorable or horrifying. Basically a hyper-evolved insect that's become a small bird.

Those live where I live. They're really cute.

It's worse when you read about how they're mistreated from birth and forced to perform on the street.