PC asks for a buster sword

>PC asks for a buster sword
Would you give it to him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VNc7kHADtUw.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't have the money for that.

I would give it under the condition the player agrees to just use greatsword stats for it

No and I also kick him out for being such an obnoxious faggot

"How about we just use a 15 pounds weapon template for this?"

Yes, but unless this is exalted or you are a superhero you can't lift it.

Sure, just grab Great Knife for a T3 ARM and have fun.

Depends on the genre of the game. I'm not allergic to the "massive sword" aesthetic (I love me some Dark Souls), but if the PCs are playing agents of the French Resistance in Nazi-occupied France then the answer will inevitably be "No".

>agents of the French Resistance
>doesn't want one to go around with the nickname "the walking guillotine"

For shame.

This
But I would also add
>You get a massive sword but it is NOT the Buster Sword because 1) it doesn't exist and 2) the Buster Sword is a symbol of Heroism in the world of FFVII, not a weapon that anyone can claim

We're currently playing gritty cyberpunk so no.

>only 2 materia slots
Lol go ahead.

"You mean Guts's Demonslayer?"

Dragonslayer

>not going style over substance
>in cyberpunk

The corporates already won.

"But GM user, I've gotten my arm augmented for super strength!"

Can't Midgar and Shinra be classified as Cyberpunk though?

nah, I would disagree purely because of aesthetics

jCyberpunk. an inferior type of Cyberpunk.

How about using a rotor blade as an improvised weapon?

for a while, if you're augmentet as fuck, sure. permanent solution - no.

if you got disarmed, grabbed a wrench a busted somebody's head open with a wrench in a dirty underground garage, that's cool.

If you carry around a wrench the length of you arm as a melee weapon you're watching too much anime for my tastes.

full
metal
bitch

No, and I have banned anime shit from my games.

I woukd show him something about the same size as a buster sword: the door.

>Hating fun so much than you banned a whole type of media comprised of many genres

>Not letting martials use oversized weapons as they get more powerful

>triggered weeaboo

If he was just using it as an example to describe a fuckoff hueg sword then sure.

If he was trying to explicitly lift his character from a videogame I would encourage him to be more creative.

I hear you, I banned all American live action TV from my games because I don't like Honey Boo Boo.

Devilslayer*

>the Buster Sword is a symbol of Heroism in the world of FFVII, not a weapon that anyone can claim
isnt it just a big sword cloud had?

also
>what is MHFU
its like a green weapon in that

>isnt it just a big sword cloud had?
No, it has an history
You should play Crisis Core or at least read about Angeal, Zack and who/what are first class So

>MHFU
It's not the same universe at all
Having a big ass sword in MHFU is pretty normal
Also your character is a super human

>hey GM I want something cool
>no you can only like things I approve of, now roll this d20
you sound like a blast to hang out with

>first class Soldier*

>It's not the same universe at all
i know i know, its more realistic than FF

it still has A buster sword, or several for that matter

which is what the question was

But it's from a video game.

>i know i know, its more realistic than FF
More grounded than FF7, yea

And yes, there is several big ass swords in Monster Hunter since it's a whole weapon category
I don't get your point though

No.
I hate weeb shit

If he wanted to use the stats for a halberd or something and we just said it was a huge sword, sure.

It's not like comically huge swords are unique to Final Fantasy, and the player is allowed to have fun. It's not like he'd keep calling it the Buster Sword, anyway. It would just be "My sword" or "I attack" and the player would be the only one who remembered what it was supposed to be.

i mean there is literally a buster sword, as in a sword called "buster sword" (or is it buster blade?)

so "i want as buster sword" could also apply to the MH weapon
as it is A buster sword, just not THE buster sword

i know the picture is for context and shit,
sue me

No. Come up with your own design for a comically oversized and completely impractical sword. Don't just leech off of someone else's efforts.

>Carrying a wrench as a weapon
>Get stopped by authorities for search
>I got no weapons, fellas. Just this wrench here I'm on the way to return.
>Guards say "okay, on your way civilian"
Clubs that don't look like weapons have their uses, user.

It's a buster blade
Then giving it or not depends of the game

Probably eventually, I'd give it neg 2 modifier to hit 3d6 or 4d6 damage and of you have less then 20 strength you must use your bonus action to ready the blade for use with an attack action.

In his defense
>I want that one weapon from that one game
is not just
>I want a stupidly oversized weapon

And the case being the buster sword, one if the most iconic and overplayed weapons ever, doesn't help the players case

This
A player carelessly asking for a precise iconic weapon has no clue what he's talking about

> a player using a shorthand to convey what kind of weapon he wants is bad
people know what the buster sword is- stupidly oversized weapon is more vague and could be more things

Consider:
>I want the/a buster sword
>I want a sword like the one Cloud/Guts has

>If you carry around a wrench the length of you arm as a melee weapon you're watching too much anime for my tastes.
I mean, as long as they work on heavy machinery I don't see a problem.

>permanent solution - no.
>not having a drugged up aug sawing people in half
>not wearing a gas mask and making gurgling sounds for the full effect

>Short answer
no
>Long answer
Sure count it as a large improvised weapon due to the balance issues that thing would have. Let's say it weighs 54lbs because I remember this video youtu.be/VNc7kHADtUw. I believe that'll throw you over at least 1 encumbrance threshold. Now about the cost.

>Sure count it as a large improvised weapon due to the balance issues that thing would have. Let's say it weighs 54lbs
if you are playing something like DND then this is utter bollocks

fighters end up being utterly superhuman in terms of strength and endurance- theres no reason a fighter of reasonable level cant lug around the dragonslayer like a regular human would a normal weapon

in more grounded settings sure- but somehow i doubt people ask for such things in say ASOIAF RPG

Well it worked pretty good for Big Volfogg.

Granted he had sonic emitters on his chest and quad barrel machine gun in his other arm, so whatever.

Maybe, as long as it stays a great sword and doesn't do the gay bullshit of becoming 7 smaller swords.

>if you are playing something like DND then this is utter bollocks
Given the terminology in my post, I'm clearly not.

or possibly an Ork Mekboy.

In 5E you're encumbered if you hit 5x strength in weight. Plate is 65 lbs, so unless this sword is 35 lbs or less you're encumbered.

The fusion sword isn't the buster sword
Also it's only 6 different parts

>Given the terminology in my post, I'm clearly not.
pretty sure DND uses those words- but yes, the tome would suggest you arent, but then you probably wouldnt get asked that question either

This

Style is everything in Cyberpunk, yes. But stylish style, not retarded pointy haired wrench wielding anime style.

Sawing people in half with a chainsaw/circular saw/wolverine razor blades - yes. Sawing them in half with a retarded giant blade expecting a *shwing/whoosh* sound to magically apear - no. I am not even considering sawing people in half with a wrench.

If I would DM 40k game with a Ork Mekboy in it, I would even encourage that.

Pretty sure its encumbrance rules aren't granular enough for the implication of multiple thresholds, or of potentially multiple thresholds being crossed because of a single 54lbs item.
Likewise at least 5e makes no mention of any "large improvised weapon" instead saying the gm should pick whatever the improvised thing is closest too. Same is true of 3.5.

Try again next time.

>no. I am not even considering sawing people in half with a wrench.
>sawing in half
just bash the fuckers head in

>large improvised weapon
swear 3.5 does, or at least PF

3.5 mentions size category factoring into the above mentioned "pick something close". There exists no catch all category called "Large improvised weapon".

If he means a fullblade if we're talking D&D, of course. Huge fuck-off swords are a staple of fantasy. Hell, I'd even consider giving it to him in something like a horror game like Pyramid Head's Knife in Silent Hill 2, a weapon stupidly powerful that can 2 shot the final boss, but you have to accept you're going to walk at a snail's pace when you have it on-hand and ready to swing.

If we're playing an anime inspired game sure, otherwise fuck that.

>the Buster Sword is a symbol of Heroism in the world of FFVII
Hah. You mean in the shit-tier fanfictions bullshit Square-Enix created more than a half decade later, user.
I could agree way more if you said something like, it's a symbol of a great game irl, but in the game itself it means basically nothing. Even for Cloud himself thinks nothing of it, unless you get him to experience that flashback in disk 3.

>Hah. You mean in the shit-tier fanfictions bullshit Square-Enix created more than a half decade later, user.
That's, like, your opinion
You're right, it's not that great but I absolutely love it

>I could agree way more if you said something like, it's a symbol of a great game irl,
I'm with you on this one but we're not talking about the "marketing", we're talking about a character getting the weapon
>but in the game itself it means basically nothing.
That's why I said world and not game
Also, Cloud was technically amnesiac for most of the game

Cloud was an amnesiac, but the sword didn't matter to anyone else either, except for the dead guy who previously wielded it. And even then, I don't think Zack ever mentioned it being important to him in the flashbacks.

>Cloud was an amnesiac, but the sword didn't matter to anyone else either, except for the dead guy who previously wielded it.
Because the game was a bunch of year before the expansion of the universe
We're getting a remake, I'm hoping they don't fuck it up

>not killing cyber nazis and mutant commies with your buster sword while riding enchanted superior nippon steel hoverboard

>not wielding a powerhamer while riding a motorbike with flaming blades for wheels
get on the level

Make it heavy as fuck and redesign it to fit your worlds lore, then go ahead.

Might get away with it if it and your armor is made of mythril.

I'd let my player have it, but it's not really a sword. It's too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough. More like a large hunk of iron.

He'd also need one hell of an elaborate backstory to justify using such an extravagant weapon.

>He'd also need one hell of an elaborate backstory to justify using such an extravagant weapon.
Angeal's (the first owner of the buster sword) backstory for owning it is literally
>My father bought it to me when I left home to become a Soldier
He also never use it in fear of damaging it
It's like an oversized "grandmother's necklace"

Yes, but Cloud's backstory for owning it is that it was Zack's, who got it from Angeal.

It's the vector of their will, feelings and dreams

It was a reference to the similarly massive dragonslayer sword that Guts wields in Berserk.

After the first few chapters where guts is killing things with his sword, the reader is then treated to a 90 chapters of backstory.

I'd rather have a Fable 1 Cleaver personally, same general shape but a little more manageable looking.

Sure, grab a Greatsword and the Great Weapon Master feat. The unwieldiness of the sword makes it harder to hit, but when it does it hits like a truck.

Sure, we're playing a Final Fantasy campaign, just take this SOLDIER 1st Class template and tweak it a bit.

I really like this idea. Maybee even put the STR demand at 21.

If it's an high fantasy game yes, even a dragonslayer if you want, it will have it's perks and défaut though
If it's a more realistics game like Song of Swords, no, the biggest you can go is a Zweihander

Well, he has 5 dots in Potence discipline and 5 dots in strength. But making one that won't break after first strike would require having also good resources or craft.

Maybe eventually, if he works for it.

Meh, that's basically what a Full-Blade is anyway.

Depends. I'd consider giving it out even in DnD (with much better stats than most default weapons, of course), but only if the fighter works for it, and definitely not at chargen with 16 strength. You can't become Guts without being raped by a black man. You can't get a buster sword on level 1.

>PC asks for a buster sword
What's that?
>PC can describe it in firm mechanical terms
I let him make it himself or find someone else to make it, and I assign it a stat block closest to whatever he describes. ie if he wants a big-ass sword that he can use, we're talking a greatsword or a fullblade; if he wants an impractically large sword then it's a Large sized of same that he can't use without some feats or insane strength.
>PC can't describe it any other way than "the big sword from Final Fantasy"
I inform him that Final Fantasy doesn't exist in this setting so his character has no way of knowing what it is.

It's literally just a greatsword so yes.

They're really not that heavy, at least replica ones. I had a friend that bought one about 10 years ago, it weighs 6.5 pounds (~2,2 kilos).

The issue with it was it wasn't at all balanced. Tiny hilt, all the metal up top. It should have a huge dex penalty or something.

why not?

You fucked up your post, you tried to inject the "PC/Player dichotomy" into the equation but yourself mixed up the PC's knowledge and the player' intent. You also got confused as to who "you" are in this hypothetical, are "you" an NPC that the PC is asking, or are you the GM that the player is asking? Two entirely different concepts that you conflated together in your zeal to be snarky and dismissive.

>65lbs of plate
How about not setting the game in WoW. Also a 30+lb sword is already five times more massive than a regular sword and twice the weight of the heaviest historical great swords.

Sure, fuck it, especially if they're alright with it just being flavor for a weapon that uses greatsword/bastard sword/whatever-the-setting's biggest-sword-is stats.

Here we go, I love this damn blade, though I'd like a slightly higher angle on the top part a little more busterswordish in shape so it looks like it CAN stab in a pinch.

It's not, Amiri sword is a giant's bastardsword (for Large creatures)

So... it's something like the buster sword?