/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Explore edition! (Explore is a keyword from the upcoming Ixalan block. It appears on creatures and has the reminder text "Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then put the card back on top or into your graveyard.")

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=o:"becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time"&v=card&s=cname
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/nuts-bolts-design-skeleton-2010-02-15
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Forgot to explain that Explore works like Scry, in that it's attached to a triggered or activated ability, though that should be pretty obvious through the reminder text.

Also design inspired by that one guy who had the sacrifice if the opponent draws dude because I really love stuff like this

Pretty good cards
"At the beginning of the next end step..."

>"At the beginning of the next end step..."
Its actually not. I thought it was too.

Compare to Flameshadow Conjuring.
It looks like tokens stay until "beginning of next end step" while true creatures stay until "beginning of (every) end step".

"At the beginning of the end step" is a triggered ability. Without context, the game does not know what the "next end step" is.

"At the beginning of the next end step" is a DELAYED triggered ability. Delayed triggered abilities are created during the resolution of an effect, and it is the effect that gives "next" context.

Very iffy on the price, likely underpriced it.

Might be slightly too good for a 1-drop common, at least in Blue. Perhaps would be better as a 1/3 for 2

I would say so. Most permanent control effects tend to be quite expensive, and even the ones that are aura based tend to cost more than the temporary control spells red usually gets. The scry is a nice bonus on top of it as well.

I'd say this would need to be closer to 5 mana. That prevents any major thefts from happening too early, while also meaning that you're at a relative deficit of mana unless you use two or more spells that benefit from it.

Yeah, the scry was mostly intended to make it not a dead card (As even decks that like such effects can't throw them out too regularly) for a lot of the game.

3RU then? Or perhaps making it a paid effect (So the card gives you scry relatively early and then you pay to use the replacement effect)

Yeah, I think you could keep it at 3 cmc if you made it cost RU extra to modify the effect in that way. I also feel like it might be better if you only gained control of them while you controlled the card. That would lower the power quite a bit, though also gives people more of an out. Depends what you want really.

Yeah, 'As long as you control the card' was my thoughts.

That's a lot nicer. It's still paying only 5 for most of the spell effects, but that's more on par with Blue's permanent Auras. Plus, it's still getting all the benefits of the Red spell to untap and use it immediately. One downside I could see is that it would feel annoying to cast Act of Treason or the like, only for your opponent to destroy your Enchantment after it resolves, meaning you don't get the benefit of the spell at all.

Still, if you're playing UR, you should have some ways to protect your enchantments, and the extra Scry helps ensure you at least get something out of it.

Meh. I just don't know. I can't find the nug bur I feel in my gut theres something in this soace thats exqctlt the thing I wsnf for a splashy, marwuee showdown mechanic. I guess this is okay but it seems like super small design space. Also not quite the area I want to hit. It'd have to be something the opponent has more control over so that theres some kind of subgame going on where your opponent needs to figure out whats the thing they can't do. That narrows it even more.
Cool design for a common.

Buuump

I really don't want to see this as a mechanic that's going to crop up a lot. A few one-off rares like that cat, fine, but something that shows up on uncommons? No thanks. This just screams memory issues.

Thoughts?

There were common conspiracies with hidden agenda. What you're supposed ti do is write a note and tuck it with the card. Thats another issue though, I'm more interested in the ins and outs and getting the gameplay i want and if it turns out its no good then oh well. I don't quite unserstand the right angle for it yet. I would actually be more interested in an immediate subgame rather than something you had to remember I think though.
I like the akroma, its a better blend of flavor and mechanics than the old one. Haste is gonna be redundant on the unmorph 90% of thr time I think but I get what you were going for. What exactly is protection from devoid? Did you want her to only be immune to devoid spells...? I don't get that. Did you mean colorless?

I'm not in love with ixidor in green

No, I get how Conspiracies work, I'm not objecting to that. There's just a big difference between Conspiracies, which you can only get through random chance in a Draft format and can't change what card is named, and Vendetta, which is present on cards that can be used for constructed and allow for something new to be chosen each time it enters the battlefield.

It's an issue at all in constructed. Not quite in the same sense anyway. Limited is where it becomes an issue. In constructed (non casual, casual constructed is thought of similarly to draft or sealed, Mark mentions this in a recent podcast) if the cards aren't good they will never come up, and if they are good they can be played in any number, so there's less control over the environment to begin with. All cards are "gottne through random chance" in a draft, and it's only different for each card (you can draft more than once conspiracy and you have to keep track of each one's hidden agenda). There can be blink I guess but I hope that's not what you mean because if you blink the dude and replay it you should know you picked a different thing if you did, or more specifically you just treat is a different instance like it is. I think that particular angle if that's what you meant is a non issue.

Trust me, I recognize your issue and while it's not nothing to me, it's one I already know. I'm not interested in issues I'm already aware of. I'm not even for sure if this is the thing I want, but I don't understand this mechanic enough to say no this can't work. I don't know enough about this mechanic in general terms. i don't even like this version. This version isn't really the point.

I'm asking for help for the version that A) encourages an opponent to act even when faced with potential punishment (can be so narrow that it can be potentially avoided), and B) allows the player(s) to "bluff" or "play around" something based on obvious information, where the obvious line is to do or pick x thing, but a "better" player may be able to pick a less obvious thing and "win" when they might have normally "lost". This version doesn't even really do either of those things so much. Secretly choosing something really helps get to this gameplay though because it plays with incomplete information, yet uses information we can clearly see or guess.

"CARDNAME - 1G
Legendary Enchantment
You can't play land cards from your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep you may search your library for a land and put it on the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library"

Would this be a broken card?
Note that it's legendary and the land enters the battlefield tapped, so you're actually a mana short each turn.
What if it was a leyline?

Endless Horizons is 4 cmc so im pretty sure this is too cheap.

bump

Basically a rip of the android netrunner mechanic. I kind of like that this is not tied to a particular resource so that it can be used at all times, but it feels a little too random. There was some other issues I felt too but theyre so small and personal I dont remember what they are. Theres just not much "gotcha!" there.

Also noticed I mixed up terminology. Had different wording but decided to just use clash.

A bit meta, and it'll also require everyone to mark down a lot of writing to ensure nobody cheats with it.

Thats fine at least for now I think since again hidden agenda conspiracies were at common, but it is an issue that Im not sure Im okay with yet. In that respect this is nice because you can actually just use fingers instead of needing to write something down slightly different version. Heres a little bit different version with a little extra rules to clarify a winner. I like how the number is less arbitrary and it potentialy helps the opponent thus theres a little more game to it (you want to pick the highest number, but the opponent knows that too, so they pick 3 and they get 3 damage to your shit, but you know that too, so you pick 2 and get 2 damage. But they know that, etc. Before it was basically just rps. Maybe this version should just be two choices) but the design space seems absurd narrow and also i dont like how the main obvious choice (3 for the biggest effect) is the one that will get you punished most often.

Also the rules for choosing what to damage are probably wrong. Im thinking each player secretly choosing something is the ballpark i want to be in but I dont know what to do with it.

I think phyrexian arenas are usually rare. Other than that nitpick its fine. I normally would think this was cool but Ive been seeing a lot of it lately.
Im not sure if this is costed right. I know there has to be "whenever you cast thing draw a card". Not that i think its costed wrong necessarily. Just out of curiosity.

Taking a break wracking my brain over what to do with secretly choosing as a cool and splashy showdown mechanic. Saw argument over hexproof in another thread and remember Wizards has had complaints over time with hexproof too and I like the kira ability so.

Seems more fair than the earlier version you posted.

This feels like it could get a bit crazy in the right deck, although the fact that it's only temporary draw helps. I think it might be better if it only counted spells cast from the hand, so that cards you exiled with it wouldn't trigger more exiles.

I feel like I've seen that tiger somewhere before. It's also a neat idea, if a bit wordier than hexproof. Also more prone to causing memory issues if someone is flinging a lot of spells towards your board. You also lose points for it not being 'Crouching Tiger'.

Decided to rework some of my White spells. Went in a different direction with the card to still have some more artifact interaction in White. The Token bit refers primarily to the Bone tokens that some other cards create, which can sac for 1 mana to scry 1.

I did push the cost quite a bit, mainly because I didn't see possibility of killing an extra artifact token as too big of an improvement.

The art is Riparian tiger. Its one of my favorite tigers in magic and its camouflaged so. I guess it could read like a memory issue, but in practice it shouldnt, since it resets every turn and I dont think anyone is going to cast a spell m1 then attack then go to m2 and want to cast another kill spell and be unsure if they cast one in m1 which would be the only instance i could think of someone might forget. It is longer than I thought but I havent compared to other evergreens if it feels too long.

Also fuck it should have been crouching tiger. I couldn't remember which it was and hidden sounded right.

Im thinking that spell is a little undercosted, i know its usually on 2 power dudes but still, and the exile artifact token feels trinkety without being very flavorful to make up for it.

Oh, to clsrify, its underoczted because destroy an artifact on a body is usually 2m. This is only a 1/1 instead of 2/2 or 2/1 but I think the flashback makes up for ths difference in cost.

Yeah. I also just realized I had another strikingly similar card that was removal stapled to a small token, so I may want to go for another route. Maybe graveyard hate would be a better alternative? I opted to go for multiple tokens to bring the price up. Exiling a single card seems like it's pretty cheap from what I could find, and I feel like this could compare to something like Disposal Mummy for a recent example.

And yeah, that's where I recognized the tiger from. The place it would start having memory issues is if someone cast a few spells with Radiance or Replicate onto your field of cards where only some had camouflage and some didn't. It basically gets more complex in large numbers where you have to track each camo creature separately.

Haha... I actually think this one is maybe a little overcosted (compating beckon apparition), but I like the flavor, and the cost is probably fine since its a bigger effect (even if they don't fly) and flashback.

Also, i may switch to the actually wordig since it saves a line. They used it as recently as glyph Keeper so maybe theyre okay with this countering your own stuff the first time? I'm not sure why. It is pretty long.

I was considering at keeping it as just WW, but I do feel like I don't want common grave hate to be too cheap or ubiquitous, since there are quite a few cards in the set that key off of it. Maybe I'll push the main spell at 2 cmc and leave the Flashback cost a bit pricier, and see how that works out.

Also, not sure on the camouflage wording exactly. I feel like it'll be pretty wordy no matter what you do, although for a common keyword like that I do think shorter is better, just to save space on the rest of the card. Countering your own stuff might run into similar problems to Shroud though.

Ixidor is kind of weak imo. His ultimate requires further deckbuilding commitment and typically just substitutes his ult for another planeswalkers. His basic ability is far too weak as well, it should probably make 2 of those tokens and be owered to 5cmc. Right now he just doesn't seem exciting, his one use would be to 'silence' two targets over the course of two turns then die.

>I feel like I've seen that tiger somewhere before.
magiccards.info/query?q=o:"becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time"&v=card&s=cname

I think that card could be fine as mono-blue. Convoke isn't soley restricted to WG anymore after they spread it to all colors in a core set.

Buuuump

What would you all say is the upper limit for percentages of non-creature spells in a set? Like, say you had 20 cards for each color, how many of those do you think cpuld be Instants, enchantment, etc before you start running into problems?

I have this idea for an enchantment cycle / theme:

>Mask of (name) - (Cost)
Enchantment - Mask
Enchant Creature or Planeswalker
If Enchanted permanent is not a creature, it becomes a ?/? creature in addition to it's other types and ... (other enchantment abilities, effects, etc.)

Does the "If" clause allow for the planeswalker abilities to still become activated?
Is this too strong?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/nuts-bolts-design-skeleton-2010-02-15
This is a little old but the skeleton should be pretty much the same. Also remember it doesnt necessarily have to be hard and fast.

>Enchant creature or planeswalker
>As long as enchanted permanent is a planeswalker, it's a 0/0 creature in addition to its other types.
>Enchanted creature gets +N/+N.
Very fringe. I believe it can work on a mechanical level, but you'd have to get around stuff like damage taking off loyalty counters, and how this works if a creature attacks a planeswalker that is also a creature. How does that work?

Aa for loyalty counters, maybe something like
>At yhe beginning of each combat, if enchanted permanent is a planeswalker, it becomes a 0/0 creature until end of combat.
Or something.

bump

Damn, just realized the shenanigans with the Shovel. It should be a one-per-turn effect, so
>"At the beginning of your end step, if a card (...), draw a card."

Yeah, was about to say the shovel seemed insane. Limiting it to a simple check and draw at the endstep should be a lot safer, though it is still a very strong card for how easily it can recur and draw things for you. Maybe consider making it a Scry instead?

As for the Enchantment, it seems fine. +0/+1 isn't the most Black buff, but it kinda works as a sort of pseudo-regenerate? Only works on damage, but that's enough a lot of the time.

Yeah, I think I'll prefer to keep it a bit less powerful, and make it cheaper.

Do you want this to trigger when you cast stuff from your graveyard as well? Because that's going to need entirely new worsing. See... urgh, I think it's Geralf's Amalgam or somesuch. It should be a 3/3 rare 1UB Zombie that recurs.

Damn! Well, here it is. The wording appears odd at first, but that's because it triggers whenever a creature recurs directly to the battlefield, and when it's cast from the graveyard. A creature spell cast from a graveyard typically winds up on the battlefield, but the spell has to go onto the stack first.

I'd say it might be okay with the current wording. It doesn't cover quite as many recursion effects, but it does help out the power level since it'll require you to have another source to really drag things back as opposed to things that can recur themselves. Plus, the ability on the card will still function with it just fine.

Trying out Exhume in other colors, since I'm not sure I want to keep the self-bounce keyword I came up with since I ditched it for Blue.

I can't lie, that flavor is pretty on point.

for ixidor, I'd change the illusion to have either

"when this creature deals combat damage to an opponent, put that many loyalty counters on Ixidor, Life Painter"

or

"when this creature deals combat damage, put a loyalty counter on Ixidor, Life Painter"

Just completed the first draft of Mythic Legends for the new set I'm working on. Would love some opinions.

>Selene
A bit on the powerful side. The second ability would be a no-go in my books: for starters, make it just work on players. This card doesn't feel white at all.

>Omega
Probably fine, as it is a 6-mana 4/4 with trample. Flash feels a bit tacked on, but this thing won't be competing with Torrential SnapcasterHulk, anyway. And, seeing that it has two Us in the mana cost, it's nice to see encouragement to run creatures in blue decks.

>Wateru
Unexciting. We've seen this card before in some form or another.

>Yuria
>"Without paying its mana cost"
Nope. Do not want. Back to the drawing board.

>Dormu
Seems fine. Basically a two-mana version of Doran, the Siege Tower, with higher CMC and lower P/T?

Two-color version of Doran*

I like the reference to Grove of the Burnwillows, although I feel like the stats might be a bit much for 3 cmc even with the downside. 3/4 or 4/3 might help a bit in that regard.

Oh please, we have far more powerful things running around these days. The card is fine, good design and decently powerful.

This card is sweet, great tool and reward for playing White Weenies.

Glad you like it. I was a bit concerned that it might be a bit strong when used as a combat trick, but I think the Plains limit makes it fair enough in that regard. I do have White set up to mainly use tokens, and for counters it'll be more about spreading them around in small amounts rather than stacking them on one thing like some other Colors.

Eh, don't really see the connection to Plains. Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. I've done some tweaking, still afraid that Selene might be a bit to pushed. The idea is that in both lore and in game play she is sapposed to kill Wateru. I've also added a new legend I've just finished working on.

How to properly word this?

Trying for a more balanced effect this time.

I think that's more or less correct wording. Good job. Not sure on the balance however.

"If an effect would create one or more creature tokens under enchanted player's control, it creates that many 0/1 colorless Nightmare creature tokens instead."

is more or less what you want here.

I'd make the mana cost 2UB instead, though. Amazing card design, by the way.

Another version, kind of inspored by bushido/flanking. I wanted to make sure the effect couldnt affect anything which brings it out of common. My first thought was combat buffs if they choose wrong but I though that was too close to that. Limiting it only to the creature in combat makes it like flanking or bushido.i feel like I really like the gameplay in theory (reminds me of morph) but it doesnt feel super gambly and all creatures played after are obviously not affected by it which is gameplay Im not sure is correct.
Don't know how to judge this, but the idea of an impulse wheel is really damn cool.
Can this not be cheaper? Its a very cool effect, but I think token hosers can be 2-3 mana, right? And unlike black's hosers, this wont outright kill them.
Only thing is, i seem to recall global enchantments can't be at common? I seem to recall that. You can have a few rulebreakers I suppose but I think you can retool this to an aura and still have the correct flavor.

[card name] - R
Sorcery
Gain control of target commander until end of turn. Untap it. It controls haste.

Thoughts?

I love design space involving commanders, but this effect has no place in commander tbqh.

I don't know, it would absolutely go in my Prossh sideboard.

... you would play a one shot threaten effct even if it was two mana less in any commander deck?

Install the Beleren font, it's in the other downloads section of the MSE site. It'll fix your weird name/type box font.

The idea is more to use the commander against the opponent assuming the commander has a useful ability and isn't designed around dealing commander damage. And then Prossh would trash them.

Alternatively, there's this

[card name] - 1UU
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant commander
You control enchanted commander.

it's also useful in that it's a one drop that can give your commander haste and untap it

His design space is probably way too small. I think technically this can work with the creature in any way but it feels like itd be too hard to track if some cards cared abour different contexts.
Funnily enough, thats probably too powerful. Its funny what a thin line that os. Im okay with it though.
I dunno man. Im pretty sure thats nrot a real thing. Some commanders do want fo go deep on untap effects though. Not sure how many are in red.

Not him, but this idea is very, VERY narrow. A far better idea would be a spell that could be used without targeting a Commander, but there's a bonus if it does. For example, this Mind Control effect. I think a better idea would be
>Enchant creature
>You control enchanted creature.
>As long as enchanted creature is a commander, it has hexproof.
That's just one example.

thats a good one

I like the idea of "if this creature is a commander" effects

[card name] - 1R
Instant
Deal 3 damage to target creature. If that creature is a commander, deal 5 damage to it instead.

Damage needs a source. And another idea.
>Destroy target creature or planeswalker. If that permanent is a commander, its controller discards a card.

Common Spell mastery creature cycle.

Is three mechanics too little for a custom set?
What would you like to see in an Instant/Sorcery matters block?

cloudwalker should be something other than a human

Commons are all boring.

>what would you want to see form instant/sorcery matters
Flashback.

Green doesn't get wizards. Only shamans and druids.

I like this idea.

[card name] - U
Scry 1, then draw a card.
Spell Mastery - As long as you have two or more instant or sorcery cards in your graveyard, ~ has flashback U.

?

Are proxies in different frames allowed or is this just baby shit

Alt art is fine. But if you have a bunch of images to post, please put them into one image. You can use PhotoJoiner for this, link in the OP, no download required.

I'll probably do that once my entire cube list is done and the cards that need to be proxy'd are finished. It'll take a while though because that cubes are hard to design

Maybe a merfolk or faerie?

I thought of flashback. However I'm loaded up with spellbased mechanics already.

Wizards are in all colors. But will be at a lower amount in green in my set.

>Forest Land token
>sorcery creature
>forestwalk
>common

No.

Probably shouldnt make a land token (why?) or forestwalk but the premise of a spell that flips into a creature doesnt have any issue at common so far as I know. A player who has never seen it before shoudnt be confused by how it works since as far as I can tell it works how you would think.

Its boring to design (but still an extremely cool mechanic in actual gameplay) but most Invoke creatures could probably just be vanillas since they should be costed as etb triggers give or take 1 mana for flexibility.

It's a bit of a joke card, but if you change the name and the word "meme", could it work?

I'm mostly with here. But I just want to point out that the proper wording for Resurgent Growth should be something like
>Create a tapped basic colorless Forest land token. (It has "T: Add G to your mana pool.")
Tapped goes first, then basic because it's a supertype, color (or lack of in this case), then Forest because it's a subtype, then the card type. Notice that the ability is in reminder text. This is because Forests have the inherent ability "T: Add G to your mana pool." so you don't have to give the token any mana abilities.