A pillar is falling towards you all, make a WIS saving throw

>A pillar is falling towards you all, make a WIS saving throw
>What, why?
>To see if you're wise enough to dodge it

Literally happened in my 5e campaign last night. Was WIS the appropriate stat to use?

Is that a serious question? No! Who was the dm, a robot simulation?

Probably referring to characters in movies/tv running in the direction opposite of whatever is falling on top of them (like in Prometheus for example) rather than running to the side

It was not.
You clearly should have made an INT saving throw to see if you could calculate whether you should dodge or not.

Wrong, He should have made a CHA saving throw to see if he was charming enough to convince the pillar to slow its descent.

Should have made you roll either INT or WIS, which ever is highest. It should also have been easy to pass for any character that isn't an actual retard.

It would not be to see if you try to dodge but if you are smart enough not to Prometheus the fuck up.

is this what D&D does to people?

The fuck are you smoking? They obviously should have rolled for charisma in order to convince the pillar not to fall on them.

No, it's what stupidity does to people

>A trap opens below you, what's your lowest save?
>Why?
>Just tell me
>Cha
>Then roll to save cha
An entire session like that, and was thw first session, left game after that

No, it should have been a Charisma to see if they had the personal resolve to make a decision for themselves to dodge.

Seriously? Have none of you ever rolled Will to resist the advances of a horny pillar?

>not rolling Con to see if you have the energy to try and dodge or if you're too exhausted after walking through the dungeon

No. It should have been a save against rods/wands/staves because the pillar is a phallic object.

>Not rolling for anal circumference

Make a WIS check please

Brain rot. I just ban folk who think d&d is good or still play it.

Shit skyrocketed my qol and game quality.
>inb triggered D&Drones

Question - Was WIS your dump stat?
Because it sounds to me like it's a simple, flagrant attempt to crush a character

Clearly you were rolling to see if your character had a low enough wisdom to attend the Prometheus school of running away from things.

>rather than running to the side
THANK YOU! I once had a friend who did this he decided to run away from the object instead of running to the side and got smooshed

>pillar falling towards you
>make a wisdom save to see if you know that you should dodge it
>succeed
>you stand there considering whether or not you should dodge it, and realize the answer all too late. The pillar crushes you while you were standing there thinking

>guy makes character with 6 Int, 6 Wis
>"I have enough skillpoints anyway"
>"My Will is based on another stat"
>acts like a functional human being

I would allow it if the character had a high enough CHA. Which would mean he is only successful at pretending that he isn't retarded,

Not at that level of detail. You should justify a counter-intuitive check with an appropriately detailed scenario.

So what's the problem?

Bruv, most of the people in this world are functioning at that level. Have throughout history.

Still, the more Gms that are like this the better of a gm I am just by averages.
Fuck this guy bumbs me up to godly GM status

>Not making a STR saving throw to push the pillar back up

had a character like that (not _that_ retarded though, it was like 7 and 8 or something), it was really great fun, acting like a retard in a really charming way.

t. 6 int 6 wis

Was your Cha saved? Or did it fall into the pit?

More like t. registered psychologist and historian.

But ok bud, you win the internet argument with your sick burn.

My dad could beat up your dad!

ILLUSORY PILLAR

I'd have argued that it's reflexive to dodge stuff, not wisdom based.
If the DM argued I'd have tossed a pencil at them, then pointed out that they tried to dodge it without thinking.

Did he explain himself?
I would (and have) got up and left for bullshit like this before during the game.

Pssh kid listen you're talking to t. registered psychologist and historian here so watch yourself pal. Don't talk about me or my wife's son's d&d character ever again.

*grabs you by the throat*
back the fuck off!?!?!?!?

>doesn't understand "t." meme
>uses it anyway

>T.pathfinder furfag.

Knowing my group, it'd be:
>A pillar is falling towards you. What do you do?
>I let it hit me.
>Really? You don't dodge or anything?
>I let it hit me.
>Alright... You're crushed to death.
>WHAT!? THIS IS UNFAIR!
>What were you expecting?
>I dunno. I figured it was a trick.

Listen t. 55122145 it's me, t. 55122102. Don't reply to this post or I'll report you to the mods.

Yours truly, t. 55122102

I guess he should of rolled wis then....

Listen newfriend, threatening to report is not very wise. Have fun with that, though.

This
>piss off giant for fun
>giant grabs his club in two hands and raises it above his head
>its a bluff!
>gets clobbered
>wtf im the hero you cant do this reeee

Wrong he should of rolled con to see if the pillar would just break around him as he is just that tough.

>Roll to save CHA
>Oh, you failed, your Charisma falls into the pit. Suffer permanent -2 CHA

Objectively false, 10 is average. If the average is lower, 10 movea down to accomodate. 10 is IQ 100

Most people are below the mean average because of the distribution.

10 can't move down lower because the stat system is static and represents canon facts about the world and a absolute mechanical truths (0 is death).

Most of the people throughout history have been below the current average.

>knows that IQ 100 refers to different things over time
>denies that the majority of people in history can be below the current value of IQ 100
pseudo-intellectual

Did you walk away from that table? I would have just left, that shit is dumb as fuck.

But they were all average by their own time periods metrics. Which is what 10 should be. What 10 int means should depend on the setting, but it should always be average.

It's not like 6 is exceptionally low on the scale. It's 1.5 standard deviations below normal, equal to an IQ around 80: nearly as close to average as to retarded, and more likely than not to be able to complete formal education up to 2000s high school (so achieving intellectual heights comparable to the average pre-XXth laborer, just likely capping out there rather than having further potential.)

That's the thing with the two quantifiable D&D stats; barring 18/xx STR, they've always been quantified in a range based on "normal" people and then with massively superhuman scaling once you get outside 3d6 range. 3 INT is 2.5 stdev off from average, and by definition 62.5 IQ and not quite sped material; 18 INT is only 137.5 which I'm sure multiple people in this thread beat.

Yes, but when you compare values to current values, you choose the framework within which the comparison is taking place, ie. the current one.

Yes, so that the PC's will know to which direction to run to.

Doesn't sound like it was a wise choice of saving throw.

A fun side effect of this is that it's impossible to stat an actual retard in D&D. 3 INT? Fry cook dumb, but still doesn't even qualify for disability. 2 INT? The qualifier for 2 INT has historically been "is this a mammal". Nothing in between.

>not rolling CON and letting it break over your head

If it started falling suddenly and silently from behind or out of view I could see a Wis (Perception) check, but that shit is bullshit without more context.

Rolled 4, 4, 5 = 13 (3d10)

>To see if you're wise enough to dodge it
Looks like the DM failed his save against Short Term Madness

>roll anal circumference to shove the pillar up your bum
>roll str save to hold it
>roll dex save to jump out of the way
>roll con to take the hit to the face
>roll int to know it wont hit you
>roll ha to have someone else take the hit for you
>roll wis to get up and instead play a better system

>have high DEX and shitty WIS
>DM his us with magic save or suck WIS checks all night long
>finally a trap, falling pillar, chance to use my nice DEX
>"Make a WIS save"
>it was a magic pillar

No, the correct saving throw path should have been

INT - to see if you notice that the pillar is going to fall at some point (this is when you first see it)

Then if you didn't succeed in avoiding causing the fall, DEX, to see if you can move out of the way, with a variety of penalties or bonuses depending on what armor you were wearing, what your body weight was, any current injuries sicknesses or syndromes, the size of the room, the size of the pillar, and the number of limbs you have.

Also the DM should be making the pillar's saving throw vs suddenly falling (CON stat) each turn you are around it, but only while you are around it, and with the screen up so you don't know what the result is.

That's how we did it in 1987.