pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ZRYSD0dW
dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1
dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures
snipli.com/WOTCTrove
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New player here. How can I make better characters?

Interesting characters are all about internal conflict, flaws, and quirks. Think about the different combinations you can form out of personality traits and the potential history of your character. As a starting point, I like to pair a race and class that seem mismatched (eg. Gnome paladin, Drow cleric). Come up with a story on why a member of that race would pursue such an unusual path, and top it off with personality quirks that make sense.

Anyone got the 5e guide to sex?

What said is a good starting point. Picking a class and race is often a good basis, since you can choose to play to the stereotype or go off the rails with it and make something crazy.

My last Bard character was basically Alex Louis Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist, for example.

How is rolling a die and comparing two numbers in any way a good system?

It's fun

Guys, how would you fix Elemental Monks in the simplest way possible?

uhm... yu get to have big numbors and somtime you rol high numbosr

Give them more ki points or let them use their inferior spells for free/more.

I find it's best to come up the idea of the person first and then come up with class/race/archtype things.

For example, one character I often make, and yes I know the character is shite because I first rolled him when I was 13.

Bert Burrodon, a brawny heavyset human who is a bit soft hearted and dopey at times. He spent a good deal of his life as the city executioner, while at first he felt very conflicted with his duty but soon enough came to terms that he was doing the right thing and providing a service, so wore the classic black cowl with pride and kept his headsman axe sharp and ready. While his identity was supposed to remain unknown, the purpose of the mask after all, everyone knew who he was and he was well liked and respected in the small city. Then a new baron passed laws against execution and almost as if overnight his respected profession was now reviled and barbaric and he soon found himself a jobless pariah with no real skill or talents to land him a real job.

Eventually he gathered his meagre savings and decided that well he at least has his own axe and the shirt on his back and that is really all he needs to be one of those heroic adventurerers. He still keeps the hood with him and wears it at times for good luck.

Then I decide, okay is he a Barbarian? Does he use his endurance and brawn to just bully through combats? Or does his care and ritual maintanence reflect to a more refined combat style of a Fighter? Or even perhaps a Paladin just looking to spread some good times with cheerful friends while setting up for the key strikes to end fights in one well placed smiting blow.

Reduce all Ki-costs by 1, including some abilities becoming free to cast.

You guys seem smart, how do I make a fighter human interesting

>Posting the racist nazi frog

how dare you!

How do you guys deal with racism/prejudice in your games?

What are his traits besides fighter and human?

How do.. Other systems do it? Like what other systems are there?

Compare inherent stat number to difficulty class number. No rolling, just set skills to make use of.
Compare rolled stat number to difficult class number. Your typical RPG stuff.

Say cool thing, GM says "That's cool, it happens!". Freeform Wankery.

What other systems could there be that are inherently "Good." enough to call a modified dice roll for RNG elements an inherently "Bad." system?

oh right, I had this idea when reading about some christian monks,,,
he's from an order or band I guess since they're not magical paladins, where the way they swear themselves to someone is by giving their weapons and armor to that person, and basically loan it back until they die in service

I probably should have though of this more than once like 4 weeks ago

1. Retired pirate (treasure hunter style). Got wealthy from a good haul, settled down, realized being a pirate was bad, repents by giving his fortune away to some people and starts fresh

2. The Soldier from TF2. Literally mentally ill. Thinks they are a soldier or knight for an army (made up or not). Practiced with weaponry and what not. Family couldn't contain them because freedom isn't something you can easily take from a God damn American

There are many ways. Remember that 'fighter' is just a vague term same as Wizard. It's better to think of a cool character idea THEN fit a class to it as opposed to picking a class then trying to weave a narrative around it. You may find a barbarian or even a weapon-wielding monk is better suited for your own personal character than the idea of a fighter.

That sounds like it would be way cooler as a Paladin, unless you want to work in one of the fighter subclasses like Eldritch Knight into it. Say, he swears himself to an ancient wizard, the wizard teaches him some magic.

that makes sense... but I like the "just a human" trope too much
like not all of the realms knights need to be paladins right?

Sort of? I don't generally see many reasons to play fighter instead of Paladin.

idk I would just prefer pulling out a crossbow in a pinch right? or cut a rope bridge or kick a ladder, over magic..
Not that you can't do those as a magical martial...
this is why I'm bad at this game and never made it past 5th level

Under what circumstances would a character be in moderate control of their lycanthropy, specifically at low levels? I'm planning on making a halfling wererat with the sage background and not only has my DM not gotten back to me whether he's counting lycnathropy as a race or class, but also that he wants me to have a reason for my character to have that much control over the curse at such a low level.

Hektor Raulin, Human Fighter who uses Longbow but isn't afraid to draw Rapier and Shield.
a Town-Guardsman who owed a favor to a roaming hero who helped save his village. He is a humble man from humble beginnings but agreed to come lend his bow to the cause when the called for aid. He eventually got strung along in the adventure and is clearly out of his depth in most matters, but one thing is for sure; He went home with two things, the skills to make him a crack-shot archer and lawman the likes his home-town has never seen before, and an intense hatred of roaming vagabond murderhobo "Heros" like the ones he travelled with.

Yotsuki Ishiin, Human Fighter in a Not-Japan setting who uses lots of crossbow tricks and nets to take down her foes.
Trained from a young age as a servant girl for the nobility of her house, the Clan-Head took special attention to her and had her trained in arts of infiltration and killing, using the unsuspecting servant-girl as a political assassin to take out rivals, deliver threats, or even cull unsavoury members of their own household. Eventually it was discovered that the Clan-Head had plots against the Emperor and the royal gaurd sacked the estate and put an end to the treason, the girl however ended up missing. With very few skills other than inherent grace and a talent for contract killing, she became an infamous bounty-hunter known only by the crimson oni-mask she wears looking to carve her own name into legend as her household name fell into disgrace.

Sir Donnibard, the Wizard. A human fighter who flunked out of Wizard-school. He isn't even an Eldrich Knight, he just wears the pointy hat and stole a wand from some mage. Donnibard is an idiot.

Ser Branford Farseek, famous explorer and cartographer who is an actual Eldrich Knight, exploring the far-coasts of the world with his beloved familiar Owl, holding monsters back with his mighty pike and weaving rituals to protect and support his exploration and encampments.

Nah it sounds like you've had bad DMs to deal with, a shitty DM will never allow martial characters to do cool shit in combat or improvise.

Jesus is my town the only town with good AL players, am ai just bad at assesing people, It just feels like every decent game of D&D that I've played

repost from last thread

>dm, out loud: you find a trapdoor and you notice the tripwire attached to it
>player: can I choose not to tell everyone else about the trap

classic "lawful" evil amirite

kill me

As GM, I use it liberally as an aspect of society. Sexism too. Every group of people has at least some "us versus them" mentality going on. Most NPCs are racist and sexist, but the nature and severity of it varies a lot.

I try my best not to push a political leaning about it. It's just the way people are. One thing I do try to do is that whenever an NPC gets some screen time, I work up a few key events that shaped their place in society and beliefs. Even the town drunk got there somehow, even if he deserved it. A little depth and variety pushes past the notion that some sort of viewpoint is being pushed.

Hello /tggegeg/. I saw you were talking about fighters, so I decided to be a selfish asshole and plug my shit in.

Not really, I literally just came on TG today to get help with fighter characters. Odd coincidence.

I am trying to make a serious, legit, not a joke character named Bradley. He's a fighter (No, not a monk, fighter. He will not be a monk. He cannot be a monk. My DM's custom combat makes monks useless. It was specifically MADE to make monks useless, I believe.)

He's going to be my first serious character in many years, so I really, really need help with writing his fluff. Usually when I write fluff, half of it will be about how Disco can exist in a fantasy setting, a quarter of it will be about the character's obsessive love for harpy ass, and the last quarter will be actual background.

THIS character, however, is 0 memery, or at the very most, .32 memery.

I've gotten some things down already- For example, he's from a butcher family, really only cares about fighting and not at all his family craft, and wants to become a 'brawler' (basically a boxer, but he's a 'serious, legit character', so i can't use that term). I'm planning to already have written him as a man who has won a few underground fighting tourneys in his day.

I'll post what I currently have of a background at the end of this thread riiight below. It got slimmed down a whole fucking lot. You don't want to see what Brad Yader 0.11 was.

pastebin.com/ZRYSD0dW

But, basically, I have a lot of things worked out EXCEPT for his main adventuring motivation. The only thing I have worked out is that Bradley Yader needs to gain seven hundred seventy seven thousand, seven hundred seventy seven belts. But, why? I am so conflicted as to what reason to give this glorious, 20 strength man in regards to his belt-collection.

So, it all really comes down to this:

Veeky Forums, why is fighter boxer man trying to collect 777,777 belts in 5e? asking for self

kill them, they're that guy

update: "I take the keys from the ring via mage hand and ask the starving prisoner what's in it for me for saving him"

I always pit a fair number of female NPC opponents against my characters so that I can wank to their deaths later. My group is also pretty vengeful and like to torture people they've defeated or torment them in other ways before killing them. I've never stroked one out at the table but usually within a few days the fact that my male friends were involved has faded from my mind and I can just imagine it as the characters without them attached. Which is nice cause I don't want to have sexual thoughts attached to my friends. That'd be gay.

A couple sessions ago they tracked down the evil sorceress sister of the warlord they've been fighting. After defeating her and her minions they forced her to watch as they slit her (orc) boyfriend's throat and made her flick her clit to it or else they'd keep him alive and torture him longer. Then they tied her to a tree and took turns carving the names of friendly NPCs she'd killed onto her skin with knives (hilda the breadmaker, bartholomew the innkeeper, etc), then they beat her to death with her own quarterstaff while she was tied to the tree. They the cut the ropes and one of them proceeded to violently fuck the corpse including in some of the holes they had cut. Then they burned her remains, found one of the other orc lieutenants who had passed that 10% chance to stabilize automatically, woke him up and forced him to eat her ashes and part of her arm that hadn't burned, then sent him to go back to the warlord to tell him what they'd done. They do this shit because they are edgelords but they have no idea that I am deriving sexual enjoyment from it. I also just get off on when the women lose fights, like if you've ever been in a real fight and lost , you know the feeling of knowing you're fucked, so when she went below 25% hp and pretty much knew it was over I imagined the fear and terror in her mind and it started to give me a stiffy. It's better than shit like muscle girls or any of the other degenerate shit Veeky Forums is into.

You guys realize there's already a thread, right?

Honestly, what the fuck? Did this guy draw from a deck of many things when you weren't looking?

Nonetheless, kill him. As soon as possible. 'that guy' will always ruin the fun of a campaign.

I use it to my advantage.

I started a race war of villagers/gang members against the local goblin fort so I could ambush the gang hideout and take all their shit, as well as making sneaking in the fort a lot easier.

Pepe is a bullywug and is therefor appropriate content for D&D threads.

Anyone have any ideas for dagger reskins?
I have a pair, and I want one of them to be unique from the other.

Lower the ki cost of their spells

A dagger, but it's a really large toenail on a stick

Don't be literal about "belts." It's victories.

His family was mocked/shamed/shunned for always stinking of raw meat, and his parents weren't muscular, they were both scrawny and weak.

He has a chip on his shoulder so big he needs a prosthetic arm, and he's going to prove to the world that the Butchers have strong stock after all.

So he's collecting 777,777 unique victories. A guard from town (a) is one. A brawler in an underground fighting ring is another. An unarmored goblin and a goblin in plate are 2 more. You see where I'm going.

He doesn't care how big or small the victory is, he just wants wins.

Shit that's perfect for the character.
Any idea what they're called aside from "claw?"

Just "claw gauntlets" as far as I know.

Alright, thanks user.
I'm also keeping in my back pocket, cause I can see potential here

Glad I could help you out, user.

Do magic items that cast spells use your concentration?
A player was given a ring of water walking and a fog cloak (1/day). Does the fog cloud cast that way, use your concentration?

Only if the item casts the spell, not just gives the effect, if that makes sense.

What is the best multiclass for a Valor bard?

hi all,

question. 4th edition Dungeon Magazine #165

There was a sweet ritual to bind a warwing Drake to your will, How to best translate it to 5th? im very fresh in terms of DnD in general, and honestly i dont know the system that well.
This is the ritual from 4th ed, what do i need to change for it to fit 5th?

"Mindshape Warwing Drake is a 5th-level ritual.

To perform this ritual, you require a single warwing drake bound inside a magic circle drawn to bind a natural creature. When you successfully perform this ritual, the warwing drake is tamed as determined by your Arcana or Nature check result.
Arcana or Nature Check
Result Effect on Warwing Drake

7 or lower - 4 Int; attacks all other creatures.
8–13 - 2 Int; still wild.
14-19 - 1 Int; tame and trained.
20–25 Tame and trained.
26 or higher Tame and trained; can speak

A tame and trained warwing drake is ready to accept a rider and riding gear, and it understands commands. It is loyal to the ritual caster or someone the ritual caster designates. Such a drake can be trained to accept other potential riders and masters. If the ritual grants the drake the ability to speak, the drake speaks in a broken form of a language the ritual caster selects. If use of this ritual reduces a warwing drake to 0 Intelligence, the drake dies

Time: 1 hour
Duration: Permanent
Component Cost: 100 gp
Market Price: 250 gp
Key Skill: Arcana or Nature

stats for the drake itself.

WARWING DRAKE
A LETHAL REPTILE IN THE AIR,
warwing drakes can hit multiple targets before flying away. They balance mass and strength with intellect and mobility, creat-ing an even-tempered flying mount. Most warwing
drakes cannot speak, but they understand spoken
Draconic.
Warwing Drake
Level 4 Skirmisher
Large natural beast (mount, reptile)
XP 175
Initiative +6
Senses
Perception +10
HP 56;
Bloodied 28
AC 18;
Fortitude 17,
Reflex 15,
Will 16
Immune
fear (while flying)
Speed
8, fly 8, overland flight 12;
Bite
(standard; at-will)
+9 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage.

Claw
(standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage

Flyby Attack
(standard; at-will)
The warwing drake flies up to 8 squares and makes two
claw attacks at any point during that movement. The drake
doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when moving away
from a target of either attack.
Fearless Flight
(while flying and mounted by a friendly rider of
4th level or higher; no action)
Mount
Attackers can’t target the warwing drake’s rider when the drake’s movement provokes opportunity attacks.
Alignment
Unaligned
Languages

Skills
Athletics +11
Str 18 (+6)
Dex 15 (+4)
Wis 16 (+5)
Con 16 (+5)
Int 6 (+0)
Cha 10 (+2)

A fork and knife

Recently started Dming for a small group of friends (3-4), and one of them is ironically playing an edge lord who thinks he can treat npc like trash and take/destroy their property. The other two have clued in to this being a bad idea, any ideas how to punish him, they're level 3 btw.

crack down the law, make that fucker have to go to court.
You can make a fun mini adventure out of it, let the other players be his lawyers

>players hear there are hobgoblin henchmen to a crime lord in the area
>"lmao what a fucking cakewalk, they're just hobgoblins"
>throw a Devastator in there for fun
>they cant handle the heat nor have the ability to get out of the kitchen

don't fuck with hobgoblins just because goblin is in the name, kids

That sounds incredible, if he continues it once we hit the town I'll give it a shot, I tried to punish him by baiting him with a disguised greenhag who he insulted but that ended in him rolling incredibly well and dealing 43 points of damage using quicken spell and winning the fight, even after one other member litereally walked away from the fight to try make a point.

While I'm at it I want to set a point early in their dnd experience that you can't take on every enemy you see, I was thinking have a town on high alert about a hydra causing havoc and for them to find the corpses of an elite task force hired to try deal with it, would this be a good way to have hint to them about?

Any encounter tables I should look at for a desert campaign?

>made to make monks useless

what custom rule is he using?

How shitty is this homebrew that I wrote?
I'm a cruddy writer so the flavor text is ass. I would like to thing it's decently balanced though. Rage gives it some longevity and a slight boost to damage. It's at-will damage is a bit higher than rogue if my math is correct. 3 skills + expertise lets it not be completely useless out of combat. Shapeshifting gives utility depending on which beast you pick giving the class a lot potential and a unique feeling with each beast you choose.

I'm liberal as fuck and I'm willing to have NPCs or entire groups be racist, but I do try to make sure I'm not making them into caricatures.

I really am hoping to find the PDF's for:

dmsguild.com/product/219716/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Cities?sb=1

dmsguild.com/product/215866/Tome-of-Adventures

It is sadly not in the trove, is anyone able to upload it please?

anyone know of any character sheet generators besides orcpub2? that is being taken down soon.

Hopefully this isn't thread-breaking... I want to add some firearms to me 5e games, as I have plans for some dieselpunk/weird western settings. Is there anything mechanically stopping me from using the various gun stats in PF and converting over? I'm mostly thinking of the WW1 firearms from the Winter Witch AP.

Most balanced version: reskin crossbows.

Slightly more questionable: allow Renaissance firearms from the DMG.

Oh shit what are you doing: allow modern firearms from the DMG.

Smug anime girl alongside condescending post: converting mechanics from Pathfinder to 5e.

Vomiting and then shitting your pants to death: using homebrew from dandwiki.

give either immortal or wu jen mystics martial arts instead of their actual features

You need to make a 1) real character who 2) is fun to play.

Popped my dragon cherry guys.

>Oh yeah this is a hobgoblin alright
>A hobgoblin using the Gladiator stat block

Most of my AL experience is fine as well. Sometimes the DM is new and not very good but I guess they just have a lot to learn.

anyone know how to access whatever he posted? I'm so confused

snipli.com/WOTCTrove

Mageguru is a tripfiend from 3+Veeky Forums where they are fucking terrified of being found out by the evil corporate overlords.

oh i was putting the dot in the wrong place. Cheers!

How do I even put in 6 encounters per day?

Do they expect a single day to last an entire session or some shit?

You go through multiple adventuring days in a single session? My group is the exact opposite, with most days taking 2 or 3 sessions. We cram a lot into a day I guess.

Any reason why you can't just have a smaller number of more difficult fights?

fuck, i need some forest encounters. i just remembered the party is heading out of the city not towards a cave system and i didnt entirely flesh out that area

i got a thri-kreen run in but thats about it

Hey, I've got my first every DND game on Saturday, a level 1 starter campaign. Any tips for my first character? Everyone playing is new bar the DM.

Maybe FFG star wars?

MPMB automated sheet. It's pay what you want at DM's guild.

Don't go full loner edge lord.

I really want to be a vengeance paladin but I don't want to be neutral or evil, but it just seems the whole "no mercy to sworn enemies" thing along with 'qualms can't get in the way of defeating my enemy' thing means it's going to be hard to stay in character. Should I just give up on my juicy build and go with Oath of Devotion/something easier to be "good" with or is it possible to play a lawful good Vengeance Paladin without breaking the oaths?

Players kill people cold-blooded all the time while claiming to be good. Just don't be an edgelord about it and it'll pass unnoticed.

>it'll pass unnoticed

I was less concerned about sneaking contradictions by the people I'm specifically playing with and more concerned with being consistent to satisfy my autism

I wouldn't, I want to play a barbarian style fighter sent away on a pilgrimage from his tribe to bring back offerings to the barbarian kings to earn his place as a tribe leader. Pretty generic but I was thinking of having him as gullible (their tribe always tell the truth) and not very knowledgable of the outside world, so having no idea what is actually valuable, working on the rule of cool. So he's going to be keeping skulls of weird creatures, ornate goblets and furs of big beasts.

The other character I wanted to play was another fighter who is secretly trying to achieve immortality/godhood and is very accommodating of his allies goals. In my head I had him working along side them whilst secretly laying down the ground work for a final coup where he sacrifices his sanity to become a sort of whirling dervish or berserked djinn. No idea if any of that is possible.

Thinking of making a rogue/ ranger mc. Am i fucked if I dump str and Cha? So far I'm a v human with 8, 16, 14, 12, 16, 8. Also I took resilient con which brought me to 14. I'm thinking of using a single sword and dueling to keep a hand free for use with Fast Hands (caltrops, acid etc)

Is Barbarian with Ritual Caster feat a good idea? Trying to go for the tribal shaman feeling. Ritual spell are for out-of-combat anyway, so it won't clash with rage.

Just use a finesse weapon

That's the plan m8. I'm just wondering if I'll need strength for anything? (Hooking/climbing a grappling hook or scaling trees/buildings for vantage points)

Or can I find a way to use acrobatics for those?

Go to Gitp or ENworld and find a guide. Best optimization forums.

How do I make a evil "political schemer" kinda wizard?

Something a bit like Edwin from BG2 or a magic using littlefinger from GoT

You can take expertise on Athletics, enjoy being better than the barb at Strength(Athletics) checks.

An asshole orange man with tiny hands who uses exclusively wall spells

Might consider a couple levels of Bard or Rogue, and put the Expertise levels in deception and persuasion. The Rogue Mastermind archetype from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide might also be of interest.

No mercy and no qualms is lawful.

>End up with an 11 even with a -1 modifier.
Kek. Expertise is wild
I dunno though, so far I've taken expertise in thieves tools and perception, I was thinking stealth and investigation or acrobatics for the other two, but I'm already gonna have decent rolls for them.

Short breakdown of both options:

Dipping into Rogue pays off instantly as his first 2 Expertises are handed out at Lv1, and you get a skill proficiency you can use on a social skill. If you choose Mastermind at Rogue Lv3 you gat a couple neat tool proficiencies (disguise and forgery, both very Littlefinger-ish) and the a Feat that allows you to use Aid at 30 ft range as a bonus action, which I also think is rather fitting.

If you choose Bard, the real payoff only occurs at Lv3 - but assuming you choose the Lore colllege it helps a lot: You get 3 skill proficiencies of your choice, 2 Expertises of your choice, and the ability to use Bardic Inspiration to aid allies and sabotage enemies (add or subtract a D6 to/from their rolls, after they made it).

>antimagic cone eye
>mirage arcane eye
>power word stun eye

what other alternatives have you seen or used for a beholder?

PS: Another attractive thing about picking Bard, if you want to play a Caster, is that Bards are full Casters and give you the highest amount of available spell slots when multiclassing. While Rogue will impair your Caster progression, it pays off by adding a lot of flexibility (by allowing you to use a ton of stuff as a Bonus action).

Why does swashbuckler completely obsolete almost all other kinds of rogue? One of its core abilities is "nah you can just kind of sneak attack whenever and also opportunity attacks don't exist for you lmao" while everyone else gets DM-may-I garbage or at best a few spells. Arcane Trickster comes close but barely.

>DM-may-I-garbage
Ehh, that's exactly what I like though. To me Swashbuckler is the boring archetype.

he's been sarcastic