I'm looking for items that would encompass the idea of the 8 magic schools and the 8 sins that would accompany them:

I'm looking for items that would encompass the idea of the 8 magic schools and the 8 sins that would accompany them:
Abjuration=envy
Necromancy=gluttony
Transmutation=greed
Enchantment=lust
Illusion=Vainglory
Conjuration=sloth
Evocation=wrath
Divination=pride

Philosopher's stone is a pretty easy one for transmutation and greed, but what others could I make with this list?

>Obligatory "the eight schools of magic are not balanced against one another"

Uh... Look up the runelords a la Pathfinder?

I did use the Thassilonian magic as a basis for it, but I am more looking for magical items that would represent both the idea of School of magic and its respective sin.

Abjuration: The Hexing Stake, a silver spike meant to be driven into the body of another spellcaster. It drains their magic and adds it to your own. The rush of power is immediate, but if left in place long enough you start to be able to cast their spells as well. Can be used as a means of neutralizing an enemy spellcaster as a threat and sealing their magic, or be used capriciously on a prisoner for the boost in power or knowledge.

Necromancy: Ghostlight Lantern, a glass lantern that carries no flame but shines with a bright light that has an odd piercing quality to it. As long as the flame remains lit, the person it is bonded to cannot die. But the lantern requires fuel in the form of the souls of others. As the lantern's light dims, the user experiences the requirement for more souls as a kind of hunger.

Transmutation: Philosopher's Stone, as you say

Enchantment: A set of shimmering robes that seem opalescent when not worn, but seem to move on their own and boil around you once donned. All who see you are filled with a raw, primal urge to seek your affection and attention.

Vainglory is just pride

>Necromancy=gluttony
?

Acedia forever alone.

Honestly, necromancy can just be a Necronomicon. If you want to go gluttony, of course food would not be the right direction, but a gluttony for powerr and knowledge, as if youa re someone who wishes for all the world's knowledge, becoming a lich is the easiest route to immortality for that and a book of dark knowledge would go well with that.

a book that consume souls fits gluttony and necromancy

What's the difference between pride and vainglory?

Gluttony is often misdefined, though. It's not so much about taking more than you deserve (that's Greed) but rather wasting what you have. Throwing away perfectly good food instead of being frugal, wasting money on luxuries that could be otherwise spent helping others, etc. A magic item that represents both the art of necromancy and the sin of gluttony could be some kind of amulet or whatever that sucks life force out of stuff for power, i.e. withering crops, spoiling food, rendering fields barren and animals infertile, etc. Something that directly rewards wasting perfectly good resources.

Vainglory is unjustified boasting(hence Vain, unjustified, and glory, boasting). Vainglory is very decentralized and often plays up the idea that one is bigger than he seems(thus it's ties with illusion).

Pride is more centralized on how one views him or herself, presenting a "I told you so" or a snobby attitude.

Pride is a much more subtle sin while Vainglory is a extreme sin. They tend to have the same meaning in the modern world due to how we see vanity and pride, but back then it was two separate entities for two different reasons.

>Vanagloria
>Not Tristitia

Depends on the power level you're looking for, though with a Philosopher's Stone being the baseline...

For Enchantment, perhaps you could go for a Bow of Eros or the like. Not really designed as a weapon, but more of a magical focus that could let you launch charm spells at extreme ranges. Maybe could double as a musical instrument that could control people more minutely or in detailed ways as well?

Conjuration feels like it would need to be some sort of headband that would allow you to summon and control things with only your mind, maybe even in your sleep. Sort of a dream thing where you're fully aware of your surroundings while asleep, and can easily call up whatever you need at a moment's notice.

Necromancy feels like it needs to involve vampires, ghouls, and other consuming undead. Perhaps something that while wearing it you gain a lot of the upsides of those things, including the bite attacks, allowing you to easily rip chunks of flesh and blood out of people to turn them into undead thralls while in a fight, and also fast healing for consuming in such a way.

Illusion feels like it should be some sort of enhanced reality. An illusion that feels more real than real life is, but is also twisted in how it works. It gives the wearer a bunch of splendor and makes them seem perfect to anyone looking, but it does so by siphoning the appealing aspects of things nearby. The sky is dull and cloudy, people are less appealing to the eyes, songs and words feel a bit off key and half-hearted, but all of that translates into the person with the illusion being light of everyone's life by comparison.

Evocation feels like it wants a pair of heavy gauntlets, and to just be burning with anger all the time. With a mere glance or a word, the world erupts in fire around him, either rays of heat towards a person, or an intense inferno all around. Angering him would be a guarantee of scorched earth all around.

Not sure of Abjuration or Pride. Those seem more tricky.

Third person noting that pride/vainglory is a silly split. If you need to add something to the Seven Deadly Sins to make eight, cowardice is a more distinct failing.

Vainglory sounds very similar to Hubris.

ey, that's a nice idea
Mask/crown/cape of gold and dark green for illusion, it can make you look like anyone but tries to convince you already look like a pinnacle of perfection

Gluttony and Sloth are likely backwards. Necromancy is more fitting for the concept of Sloth as a sin.

Howso?

Not that guy, but Necromancy is all about making servants to do your work for you. It definitely fits better than Conjuration for Sloth. You can easily imagine a necromancer lazing on a palanquin with fifty+ skeletons holding it.

maybe make divination fear?

Necromancy - cauldron of unending bones with small bits of human flesh still on them, that look kinda tasty

Divination = Pride
That's an interesting one, though not without precedent - thinking you can know or control the future or fate is pretty prideful (especially the hubris aspect of pride)
I'd say either a magic mirror - possibly one where you see only things relevant to your future.

Or if you want to be more active about it, a crown that sends the wearer visions that help them lead, conquer and rule.
Pride being the dangerous sin it is though, it might keep showing you how to do more even if you can't handle it - like trying to take on gods.
Call it the Crown of Glory or something.

For Abjuration - envy, maybe a way of capturing people or things and sealing them away - the best example I can think of would be a pokeball, but the idea is that it's both protective for you, and it fits the spite of envy - "if I can't have you, no-one can".
Alternatively, any anti-magic AoE item would fit both, again in the 'if I can't you can't' sense of envy

Definitely agree that that necromancy-gluttony makes me think of consuming undead, though ye olde edgelord necromancer scythe or sickle also works - reaping life energy to power up your magic. The scales of Famine (as in the horseman) might also fit if you give them power.
That said, I still think an elixir of vampire-making is probably the way to go

>Illusion
>not Pride

>Divination
>not Despair

seconding vampire elixir

NTG, but Conjuration is literally about making servants to do work for you. Most necromancy spells deal with debuffing or life stealing against their targets. Hell, necromancy doesn't even get animate undead until 4th level spell, or command undead until 2nd level. Conuration gets unseen servant and summon monster on spell level 1, and the further they go up the more summon whatever they get.

Vainglory is searching for mortal glory at the expense of everything else.

Pride is Hubris, specifically thinking you're not just another creature of God and can act as you want without consequences. That's why it's the worst sin: it creates and enables all the others.

I can definitely see Divination being an aspect of pride then. Being able to see the future and see the consequences could bring the illusion of not having a consequence. It also kinds of adds up in gameplay as well, considering that most wizards would utilize divination to see future events and prepare other spells based around those events.

Yeah. I think it also works well from the perspective that Divination is often best used as a school to supplement your other magic, rather than something you would use exclusively. You use Divination so you know best, and then can use other spells to act on your now-superior knowledge.

How about using Kublai-Khan's stages of grief:

Abjuration = Shock
Illusion = Denial
Evocation = Anger
Conjuration = Bargaining
Depression = Transmutation
Divination = Acceptance
Enchantment = Recovery
Necromancy = Necromancy

Necromancy is often considered a slight against the gods in most settings. As Sloth was less about being lazy, and more about a lack of devotion to the lord, it connects on a classic level better.

Acedia is considered to be spiritually indifferent to their duties and obligations to God, mentally a lack of any feeling about self or other, a mind-state that gives rise to boredom, rancor, apathy, and a passive inert or sluggish mentation, and physically is laziness, idleness, and indolence. I feel like Necromancy would fit better with Gluttony as in most settings, Necromancers often use their abilities to gain more power even if it is wasteful. Some of the spells in necromancy is often gives the user temporary hitpoints they stole from their enemies. In a way, Necromancy actively goes out of its way to spit in the face of god and death rather than having some sort of apathetic feeling towards them. Conjuration seems more about lacking in devotion and apathy as most things we summon we tend to not care if they live or die, they are a tool at our disposal.