EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Bone of my Jank" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question: How do you feel about jank? What defines the term for you, and is there ever a call for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-08-17-USC-rats/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-08-17-ub-zombies/
ebay.com/itm/HONOR-WORN-SHAKU-X4-4-4X-Champions-of-Kamigawa-MTG-Magic-the-Gathering-DJMagic-/391867983518?epid=1032033665&hash=item5b3d26e69e:g:nQ8AAOSwWLFZmSJB
ebay.com/itm/1-Untaidake-the-Cloud-Keeper-Land-Champions-of-Kamigawa-Mtg-Magic-Rare-1x-x1-/151975167287?hash=item23626d0537:g:umQAAOSw4HxZpmDg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Second for Red artifacts

>Jank
I define jank as intentionally suboptimal combos or interaction that, in magical christmasland, can lead to winning the game.

My favorite jank interaction is Mirrorweave with control magic and cyclonic rift. It's not a very good combo, but I literally stole someone's creakwood liege and swung for exponential damage into an empty boardstate, and I've been obsessed with pulling it off ever since.

Aetherize is also jank, same with Aetherspouts, because while they're effective, they have a hilarious chance of backfiring.

Pretty much what he said in my opinion. Shit that isnt optimal but tends to be more fun or wonderland.

My new favorite if from the last thread and its pestilence demon, nightshade peddler, and scythe of the wretched. Something about getting all three pieces together in my gitrog deck gives me a massive erection

>How do you feel about jank? What defines the term for you, and is there ever a call for it?
Jank is anything that implies you go out of your way to do something
EDH is a jank format and non-jank decks are poop

Post pet cards.

Just checking something.

>The JvV one doesn't have the watermark

What is with them not doing the watermarks in weird places?

Mairsil has been difficult to make work for me.
It's always been difficult for me to purposely weaken my decks, so taking out things like Sage of hours and Tree of Perdition makes me feel like I'm limiting myself to "Durdle on the table for 3 hours before winning outright or slowly chocking to death" type games.
He can be a very strong all-purpose commander with some mean removal capabilities, but if you play him before he can cage some good protection, or if the entire table is hating on you, then he can be really difficult to get going and I have to rely on a shit ton of boardwipes to stall the game.

So Vraska is after treasure because gorgons.

>Mairsil has been difficult to make work for me.
hasn't even been out for a week give it time sperg

Apperanly grixis dragon made a deal with her to find an artifact of absolute power to help him become a god again and in return he will help Vraska with..... i dunno destroy ravnica? kill jace?

>"I used Cavern of Souls to cast it, you can't counter it."
>tell him to read the card

A week is practically twice as long when you don't sleep, user.

She doesn't want to destroy Ravnica, just the Azorius and Boros.

Aren't you forgetting somone?

I see you are also a man of exceptional taste

What the fuck that had Kurkesh as the thumbnail for some reason.

Maybe if you didn't save all your images as "Image"

>no visible spiking price since the announcement

glad the hype is dying

I mean, Djeru already exists.

Don't suppose /edhg/ could take a look at my rat deck and give a few suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-08-17-USC-rats/

Nice tribe, user.
It'd be a shame if something... happened to it.

Glad the hype is dying too, just waiting for everyone getting themselves disappointed by investing on Reki.

Red can't into control. It's not a control color. Stop posting!!

At least post something that's actually scary for the deck.

Anyone that bought him bulk when he was $1 will be laughing all the way to the bank. There's no way he's settling down less than $5.

would any two precons work 1v1?

No.

Some of them, especially in C13, were absolute garbage.

It's not even for Rat/Apostle Hate. I just loving forcing them to shuffle.

Yeah, at 5$ its pretty much where he'll be at. Whoever got him at 1$ really won't feel bad, I'm talking about fools who just jumped on the bandwagon and are pretty much burning their cash on 10$ Reki's.

Also some, like Edgar or Yidris, are much stronger in 1v1 especially.

How are these guys red? The Chain Veil is obviously a Black artifact and "dark arts" doesn't sound too red to me.

You'd have to be retarded to "invest" when he's already $10+. I'd imagine anyone buying him at $10 are the ones who want to actually play him and don't have the patience to wait for him to eke his way back down, or were afraid he'd spike higher.

This and Venser, Shaper Savant. I love unconventional ways to deal with spells.

>tfw Bought Galina for derpy sea monster deck
>Look at the price today

It can though. Land Destruction is the best kind of control. Boros is the color of MLD, not aggro, my friend.

I almost want to do a dickass mono-U Ertai deck that focuses on "fuck you" effects like that one. Not just straight Counterspells, but stuff that really hustles people's jimmies.

Yeah, suboptimal, high chance of backfiring or just "entirely too elaborate" is how I'd define jank.

So stuff like the megaphase combo before the rules change would be jank, and I'd call "inalla + panharmonicon + flameshadow + etb wizard" to be sorta jank as it is magic christmasland best case scenario even if its what the deck wants to be.

What about this shit then? Where's the price going to settle?

I need ways to make it absolutely miserable to play creatures, like Thalia 1.0 but for creature spells

Tainted aether

Topor orb. Will stop 80% of relevant commander creatures

Maybe $3. It was cheaper than Reki to start with and has fallen faster than he has in the same timeframe. It'll settle lower too, I'd expect.

Is sisay going below 30 or should I just cut my losses and buy?

Wait.

Really shows that speculators dont actually play the game, that card is hot garbage, any ramp advantage you would have gained is lost because it comes into play tapped

What is Veeky Forums's opinion of storage lands?

Not to mention the mana can't be spent on anything but legendaries, it's awful

>have a Sisay from ages ago
>actually want to build a GW "fuck you" deck
>the rest of a Sisay deck would be monstrously expensive

Fuck. Who's another good GW "fuck you" commander? Besides Teeg, I know about him.

Yeah, if it let you get out Lilliana turn two I could see it being a thing, but it can't because she needs BB

Bad.

Scarab God user here once again to ask advice.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-08-17-ub-zombies/

I cut cards down in order to make it fit, and what got cut was Stax. I cut Stax and refocused the deck on UB Combo/Control. I still have plenty of removal and answers for keeping scarab god out, but don't really expect scarab god to stay out without Stax to slow the game.

Is there anything horribly wrong with the deck? Any advice? In particular I'm looking at the land base now.

That card is hot garbage. Just pure garbage water. Why are people buying it? Just because?

Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
Sigarda, Host of Herons

Worse than a basic land by a lot.

>"Wow, it's really expensive, it must be really good!"
>"The price is gonna go up forever! Here comes the gravy train!"

It's an investment bro

They seem a little slow, its basically paying 2 mana for 1 mana (1 mana + tapping the land to add a counter) it works for some fixing and it at least lets you add 1 colorless but its pretty slow

Mine

Good if you're playing battlecruiser.

gud jank in Atraxa

Why wouldn't they just buy a Juazum Djinn or anything else on the reserved list that has literally never gone down in value by any significant amount? Buy some Mox, buy a doubling season, buy a promo sol ring/demonic tutor for fucks sake. I swear it's just a bunch of teenagers investing their lunch money, and a few big ticket dicks investing in the stupidity of their audience.

this is the wordiest and grossest way to make call of the haunted

It predates Call of the Haunted by a good 5 years.

Because those cards almost never fluctuate in price and you'd have to wait a very long time to get a significant return on your investment.
This way they can just buyout a couple dozen cards, sell them at ~twice the price for a quick buck then call it a day.
I mean look at Honor-Worn Saku, a whole TWENY CENT increase.
Literally double the price.

>Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
How's that? Seems like more of a Voltron deck, unless I'm missing something.

Jace-tice ain't dead ?

The cheap HWS are all either Out of Stock or Heavily Played. The actual available ones are around $3 at least.

It's delayed gratitude. People don't want to actually invest, they want to gamble.
>Call of the Haunted on a card that can't be destroyed by card effect
>Call of the Haunted that can be activated at SS1 and stick around or SS2 and remove itself
They're different cards.

I'm going to try to trade mine away this FNM before it crashes

But you're missing the point.

Who wants this garbage? Worst comes to worst, someone pays half the price of the doubled cost, which is exactly what you paid for the original. Card shops are smart enough not to buy them in the first place, like with smuggler's copters when they were $20, because they actually play magic. It strikes me as fundamentally flawed.

it's a hatebear deck

None of the Gatewatch died. Jace got mind-wiped, Nissa got a bit strangled, Gideon got a hole in his chest but he's basically a brick, Liliana's just sad. Chandra's the closest to death with a few broken ribs and losing blood.

It's actually more of a Premature Burial.

Why Dispel?

pic

My NIGGA

>Worst comes to worst, someone pays half the price of the doubled cost, which is exactly what you paid for the original.

That's not the likely endgame though. People that bought Honor Worn Shakus for $0.20 will be selling them for at least $2 when the price settles. People that paid $1 for Reki will be selling them for $5. People that paid $5 for Sisay will be selling them for $20.

They didn't double the price and then people are willing to pay half, they multiplied it by 10x and then paying 4x or 5x for it will seem reasonable at the end.

>No Jin Gitaxias
>No Sheoldred
>No Buried Alive
>No Reanimation

Half of the fun in zombies is the reanimator part. Entombing a JinGitaxias before your turn starts so you can put a Scarab token of it it's glorious. Also it's not even it's strongest use

You would be surprised if you only knew what I've seen.

That makes more sense. Huh, neat. I've never done hatebears, guess there's a first time for everything

I didn't include much bring back from graveyard effects since my general does that anyway, besides phyrexian reclamation for things that aren't creatures.

Jin Gitaxias and Buried Alive are now on my "definite maybe" list now however.

>Why Dispel?
Mainly to protect my general from instant speed removal.

ebay.com/itm/HONOR-WORN-SHAKU-X4-4-4X-Champions-of-Kamigawa-MTG-Magic-the-Gathering-DJMagic-/391867983518?epid=1032033665&hash=item5b3d26e69e:g:nQ8AAOSwWLFZmSJB

>$20 for 4 Honor-Worn Shaku
>7 sold
>This store has made over $100 in profit already

People aren't as smart with their money as you may hope. The buyouts work and that's why they keep happening. Pretending people doing it are shooting themselves in the foot is wishful thinking.

Torment is a cool set

Gemstone Array seems like the better choice for this desu
And Astral Cornucopia is better than both

So I have a question. I have a maelstrom wanderer deck and just moved away from a playgroup that was always in an active arms race. My wanderer has 95% of the things you'd expect and I don't have the cash to get a new lower power deck and didn't move with anything but my rares. I went to a store to play commander on a casual night and felt bad immediately overpowering many new players. Is switching out maelstrom wanderer from commander and putting in Surrak adequate in adjusting the strength of the deck and (I feel like a lot of my get free stuff synergy is gone from this change) still making it playable enough as a temur good stuff deck or do you guys think I'll still be too much for newer players to keep up with? For a frame of reference I had a progenitor mimic on a kioras follower and the players I played with allowed me to get to ten kioras followers with double lands (I was trying my best to pull my punches with this happening) before anyone thought to deal with the stuff I was doing.

What have you seen?

Sweet Beelzebub's trumpet people are dumb. Well, maybe I'm the dumb one for consistently knowing what's going to be bought out and not raking in the cash.

bit of a new player so bear with me

>opp has 3/3 on board
>I bolt it
>he chains an instant that gives 0/+4
>I chain a second bolt in response

does the first bolt kill, causing his spell to fizzle and then my first bolt to fizzle or does he end up with a 3/1?

why would you chain second bolt? it would have 7 life, and you're dealing 6 damage

but doesn't the chained bolt go off before his buff which causes his creature to die? This is why I'm asking

If you really want a bad time, take a stroll down the completed listings for Untaidake.

ebay.com/itm/1-Untaidake-the-Cloud-Keeper-Land-Champions-of-Kamigawa-Mtg-Magic-Rare-1x-x1-/151975167287?hash=item23626d0537:g:umQAAOSw4HxZpmDg

6 sold at $15 already.

Did you play a second bolt with his spell on the stack? If yes, then the creature dies
if not and his stuff already resolved, too late m8

The creature is dead but the stack resolves in last spell on the stack is the first to resolve. So the second bolt you cast kills it and the rest of the spells on the stack fizzle. But the way they would resolve is 2nd bolt, 0/+4, 1st bolt