What are some good low level enemies to throw at a new party that aren't kobolds, goblins, or rats?

What are some good low level enemies to throw at a new party that aren't kobolds, goblins, or rats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Jz0JcQYtqo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gnolls, you stupid woman.

The greatest low level enemy of them all, MAN

Other low-level parties.

Let the peasant hunger games begin.

Just invent something new, instead of relying on generic trash mobs.

>good low level enemies
Gnomes, low levels adventurers, militia, angry villagers or townsfolk can be both good and low level I guess.

Level 1 Orc barbarians of course

Rabbid dogs.
A large number of particularly violent cats

Long ago, the peasants rebelled against the monarchs, and failed miserably.
While there were plenty, and it was a good cause with many loyal followers, they just weren't organized nor did they have proper armour or peasants.
There are, however, rumours of those still in the mountains and forests loyal to the same rebellion that was squashed a few years ago.
The stories have it that they attack anyone on sight, screaming in their old tounge as they charge with anything kitchenware to mining equipment. They are also said to be slightly deranged, and most of them haven't even heard of their rebel leader's death, and attack anyone from trade caravans to lesser nobles with ignorance and blind furry.

You can call them whatever you like, though I prefer to call them looters (its my head canon for low level bandits in a game called mount and blade)

proper weapons or armour not armour or peasants..

Dire Dust Mites

Cool idea user. I may nab that for my own use.

Mundane wildlife.
> While wandering through the forest, you are attacked by a bear
> An owlbear?
> No, just a bear.

Also, dinosaurs. What's more terrifying to a low-level party than a goddamn raptor?
As they gain levels, a whole pack of raptors stalking them through a field.

> Urist mcPeasant cancelled Arise Against Oppression: On break.

I pick a theme and then build a region from there.

Like "Aberrations in a weird world." What would a world where aberrations are common look like?

I first pick a weird time period like the Ordovocian to base my region off of. No flowering plants, lots of giant bugs and shallow pools of warm water under a stormy overcast sky. Oozes fit into the dangerous pools styling, so we have lots of oozes, giant bugs and plant monsters.

Then the aberrations themselves. Stirges make for great horrible pests that are everywhere, eyeball beholders live in very common swarms that hunt them. Primitive creatures work great, so flying jellyfish and giant tree leeches make things creepy and otherworldly.

So early enemies are giant ants, giant bugs of many kinds, stirges, eyeball beholders, giant leeches and dark mantles that drop on you, cloakers and sky jellyfish. If you need a low level sentient race go with ant folk or the eyeball beholders, something hive or swarmy.

There would be lots of bigger aberrations like Chuuls, Phase Spiders, and Umber Hulks that act like bears and other midlevel monsters in a normal setting. Sentient monsters at this level are going to be Neogi, Grell and those walking worm monsters from Dark Sun.

Then Aboleths, real Beholders and Neolithids are the top.

Werefrogs

One angry halfling miscreant with a mace who likes to smash people right in the coins.

Perhaps a wood elf beggar who asks the party for alms, then returns to kick their asses when they refuse?

Find out something that scares the shit out of your players and make something up besed on that and slap low level stats on it. If it fits the setting you don't have to use traditional low level monsters.

A flying squid that is eating the livestock of a small village.
A failed experiment of a local arcane researcher led to the city getting overrun by living, murderous chocolate cakes.
The road the players are travelling is known to be haunted by abominations made out of dead animals and metal, that are said to be created by a magic box that fell from the sky (actually a computer that is using local wild life to create servitors to protect itself).

>Also, dinosaurs. What's more terrifying to a low-level party than a goddamn raptor?
This is a good idea, maybe even change the dinosaurs a bit to fit the lore of your setting.

Bandits.

Slimes.

Low power demons.

Tiamat

Swarms of tiny Acorn Knights

> Dire mundane animals.
For example, Dire Housecat. Dire Beagle.

>change the dinosaurs a bit to fit the lore of your setting.
But user, all my settings can fit dinosaurs in seamlessly already. I don'[t think you understand how much knowledge of dinosaurs I HAVE cluttering up my brain from when I was a child.

Ungrateful peasants

Twinks

>hey guys what should I make for dinner, I don't want to make spaghetti again
>lol just make something that isn't spaghetti

youtube.com/watch?v=6Jz0JcQYtqo

Undead.

The great thing about undead is you can really tailor them to the strength of the party too.

Having ones with bits missing so they are less dangerous individually as needed.

>Not throwing Owlbears at your players every time