Is it worth getting into painting if you've never played a tabletop game...

Is it worth getting into painting if you've never played a tabletop game? Also wondering if they sell mini figs of movies or vidya chars.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/WIP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is it worth getting into painting if you've never played a tabletop game?
If you git gud at it, you can make it a business and paint minis for other people.
>Also wondering if they sell mini figs of movies or vidya chars.
Rarely unless there's a game associated with it. Like The Hobbit has(or had) a minis line by Games Workshop.
If you scour the web, there are often bootleggers from Russia who will make just about any vidya character you want. Or you could learn to rip the model files from the game and send them to a 3D printing service. If you don't mind paying at least 30 bucks a mini.

If you want to paint minis and it won't destroy your finances then yes it is totally worth it.

Don't let any other faggot tell you otherwise

I guarantee you they don't even play wargames.

it's pretty relaxing. If you spend a lot of time in front of a computer working or doing some other brain-intensive task that doesn't involve working with your hands, a somewhat creative hobby that fills that niche may satisfy you.

Plus, if you get into DnD or something you'll have fun minis to show your friends.

People pay others to paint them? Doesn't that defeat the hobby aspect?
>rarely unless there's a game
That's okay wizards are cool I was just curious about the bredth of model painting.

>finances
I've seen a few minis online for a few dollars each and I imagine generic paint is cheap.
That's exactly why I've been looking into it. Spot on.

It's a relaxing and enjoyable hobby even if you don't play. I even got my gf into painting them even though she has no interest in playing anything other than board games.

You can get minis from all sorts of Vidya and movies but they're almost always from smaller vendors and websites who are under the radar enough to not get bothered with cease and desist orders. Check out /awg/ for an extensive list of vendors.

since games workshop and privateer press are helluva expensive in my country, I started to get into miniature painting with the unpainted dnd miniatures.

they look pretty bad, but I'm getting good and I don't need to build a whole army to play with them.

The answer is yes!

Also, that is an adorable wizard.

Thanks for the tip!
Wizards are both wise and adorable. Great fashion sense also.
What country? I'm in australia and was surprised we have quite a few stores here from a preliminary web search.

Hobby aspect... there's people out there with too much money and not enough time. Buying painted minis may allow them to concentrate on the playing, or just day-dreaming about playing.

See also: gold farming in vidya.

I've never played actual warhammer, but I enjoy models and the lore. Unfortunately, they are mostly available in boxes of 5+ or overpriced singles. Don't know about others though. Converting and sculpting is a big thing also, that's necessary if you want to be real good. Haven't had luck with that yet, either too expensive or too much trouble mixing chemicals.

I partially switched to altering mtg cards and managed to sell a dozen. It's considerably harder without a surface, but the art already on the card makes it easier to achieve good result. As with any art, it makes me fell like shit, even if others say my shit is good-looking

I thought it once to be a perfect way to escape the mundane, but growing amount of models, imperfections in craft and money spent made me very self-conscious about it. I'm used to feeling shame about things I like, but it doesn't help in field where you need great effort and dedication.

>Wizards are both wise and adorable. Great fashion sense also.
too bad they have no sense of right and wrong

It's hard to get exact statistics, but when there are maybe 6 or 7 hobby shops plus a yearly convention around Canberra alone, and Oceania is always ahead of other regions of the world in sales per capita amongst big companies, it seems like the hobby is pretty popular over here.

You got any idea what sort of movies or games you'd like to paint figures from? Generally there's not a great selection of licensed figures going around, and they tend to be expensive compared to generic counterparts, but you might be able to find what you're looking for.

>There's another Canberran in the thread

Yes. I paint my wargame armies in the best knowledge that they won't see any table soon.

It is just awesome to see an army grow.

But even if you don't go for the army approch you could do planes, busts or dioramas or really just anything.It is very relaxing and you WILL get better with your results if you practice it.

Collecting unique pieces of art is also a hobby.

Fill me up one that. I know the satisfaction of seeing something beautiful, but how does one not feel remorse about money spent? And if you spend negligible sums you are not invested in your hobby to the maximum

It depends on the person.
For some people it's the satisfaction of money spent, the social status of showing off that their job lets them have nice things.
For other people it's the appeal of curating interesting combinations, supporting favored artists in their work or seeing what those artists will come up with from a prompt near and dear to the collector.
Then, for some people, it's the permanence factor. Some day the memory of each campaign will fade, someday every other player will be gone, someday you yourself will be dead. Having a unique shard of your character helps them with the remorse about time spent, just like a request in the drawfag thread would.

Realistically, all of these apply to everyone, just in differing degrees.

We may very well be the only two on this board, it's pretty lonely in the capital.

Also some people just have piles of disposable cash and will buy shit in the moment because it looked cool.

Post more adorable wizards!

You'll find a few miniatures games based on properties that also have movies, like Batman, Marvel superheroes, and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Painting is a hobby in itself, many painters and modellers don't play games.

>I've seen a few minis online for a few dollars each and I imagine generic paint is cheap.
Be careful on what you pick out as "generic paint." Craft paints like you'll find at Walmart will give you terrible, or at least inconsistent, coverage.

But there are plenty of actual miniatures paints that will do just fine without costing an arm and a leg, depending on the markup. Any of the following brands should work well:
>Vallejo Model Color
>Vallejo Game Color
>Reaper Master Series
>Army Painter Warpaints
>Citadel
>Formula P3

Gonna add my voice to the people saying go for it. I haven't painted in years, but I used to really enjoy the painting end of WH40K (probably because my brother wrecked me every time we actually played).

There's also the option of 3D printing your models, if you have the CAD models and access to a printer, but in a big city, you shouldn't have trouble finding a library or maker space that has open-access equipment. (Shameless self-shill incoming) I started a thread looking for advice on that very topic over at:

Yes.
Yes. Oftentimes the best are not official, the bootlegs are superior to the real deal.

Yes. Read this.

1d4chan.org/wiki/WIP

noice