>everyone at the table laughs
>switch off podcast and sit the journey in silence

Anybody else hate this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8sp8lCGhk
kotnpodcast.blogspot.com/?m=1
youtube.com/watch?v=Fgh8nDK69JU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nobody takes tabletops seriously. Get used to it.

Wait, do people actually download podcasts without listening to some of it first?
That seems stupid to me.

I had fun once, it was aweful.

It requires no talent to be funny meme man dog shit. The mindless masses feel less embarrassed about their "eww bad nerd!!!!!" hobby if the people at the table don't care about it and make funny jokes about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8sp8lCGhk

This dog shit is a prime example. They gameplay, visual aesthetic and role playing elements are all over the place that might as well not be fucking fantasy.

Heroes & Halfwits is another example, where fucking things that move and making funny noises with spells is the priority, not a good story and interesting character interactions.

I don't mind silly looking characters, what I find impossible to listen to is when an RPG is run by SJWs and every character's defining characteristics are garbage things like a snowflake sexual orientation or gender, or being a human that's a *-kin. If you can't play pretend games without making it political, then you're fucking retarded.

>He's from the slag-wastes, but has come to the big city and started to make a name for himself as a shadowrunner

There, fixed

Y'all need to pry the sticks out of your asses. You're literally being mad at people for enjoying a game wrong.

I don't listen to other people play D&D.

I just play D&D.

>t. half-ogre with mohawk and pink boots

When every D&D podcast or whatever basically makes it so everyone tries to be a clown, it reflects badly into games.

I have the same problem with a new group, nobody wishes to be serious EVER

Also your characters are supposed to be heroes, not mentally ill faggots

>not being a hero for mentally ill faggots
Git Gud boi Seriously though, I could care less about your character's sexual orientation, but don't try shoving it down my throat or you're fucking gone

Ehh I know the channels that have quality trpg content.

That's a problem between you and your players. You don't get to blame podcasts for your poor communication skills.

>My poor communication skills makes everyone act like they're in a seinfield skit.
>Even when I tell them not too.

Well, yes.
You can't get 3 to 4 basement dwellers to give a shit about what you think.

Yes. Believe it or not, that's on you.

I'm morbidly interested in listening to that. Do you have a link?

Yeah, podcast/twitch games are everything thats wrong with ttrpgs.

Im being mad at people or teaching new/potential players not to take the game seriously at all.

No, I did not save those links. I'm pretty sure one I tried to listen to a long time ago was a shadowrun 5e game and in the first 10 minutes I was like "Ok this is tumblr plays shadowrun fuck that" but I can't recall the name.

That's not the intent and you know it. These are pieces of media meant to entertain, not teach. It's how they play their game at their table. One of your responsibilities as a GM is to establish how people play at your table. Set ground rules and tone. If you can't do that, then some random podcast isn't at fault. You are. Plain and simple.

The person is perfectly justified in judging a piece of entertainment as shit or good or mediocre. They made a podcast and put it out to an audience. Who are you to say he can't criticize It? Is this 1984? Are you the thought police?

But he wasn't judging the quality of the thing. He was saying something else entirely. Did you even read the conversation?

OP: I don't like this stupid trying to funny shit
user: Get the stick out of your ass, you're judging them for having bad wrong fun.
OP or a different user: I don't like it for showing newcomers that this hobby is a joke
You: This is entertainment. It's not meant to teach
Me: People can just shit. This chain of replies starts with a guy judging a form of entertainment as shit and someone saying don't judge.

Way to miss half of what was said, retard.

Ok hypocrite

Not my fault you can't fucking read.

Calm down boy. Didn't your parents teach you not to throw stones in a glass house?

And you wonder why nobody takes your games seriously.

While we are on the topic, anyone have any Veeky Forums related podcasts to recommend? Preferably gameplay centered.

Also, does anyone else enjoy watching Matt Mercer dm?

I don't know what you we're trying to say that was missed. It seems like he made it pretty clear that he thought it was stupid that you're saying he can't judge this podcast because it reflects poorly on the rest of the game. I think it is a pretty valid argument that representations of the game can affect people's perception of it. If all you've seen is lulzy meme games you're going to expect any game you join to be similar. So it affects the preconception. And he does not like that.

Okay, that's bait and you know it. Yes, everybody knows who fucking Matt Mercer is, everyone knows what the fuck critical role is. Unless you've somehow never come to TG before and seen the flame threads, but I really doubt that.

He's clearly a narrow minded individual. But exactly. People judge everything for many different reasons. A teacher's job may not be to entertain but I'm sure we've all had teachers we thought were funny.

Shit I legit was not trying to start a shitstorm there. I haven't seen the hate threads and am kinda new. Was just legit looking for podcast suggestions.

If everyone could just ignore that last part and still give suggestions just consider me a dumb faggot.

>tfw your new boots made from the flayed skin of your enemies are naturally pink.

Stop judging my ligestyle!

It may not be the intent, but thats what it does. Flat out. So many new players come with a fucking CR mindset at the table. You're right, its my responsibility to fix it, and these idiotic podcasts just make my job harder.

And Im sure teachers are just as exasperated when a student's parents teach them bullshit that makes them resistant to what needs to be taught.

KOTN is pretty serious about tabletop. They have a lot of campaigns but they have a pretty good dnd one

Again, it's also the responsibility of a GM to temper those preconceived notions and establish a precedent at their table. That's the part of the conversation that was missed. I don't think it's fair to blame some random piece of entertainment because you can't say "Hey, Jim, your mohawk troll doesn't really fit with the game I'm trying to run here."

And other people think it is fair.

Yes but then Jim with the mohawk troll thinks Im the asshole because he was expecting to use another party member as a club and savepixie land. So now I have to either delay the game to explain tone to him, or mull over whether its even worth trying.

Im not saying people arnt allowed to have fun doing wacky shit, but most GMs spend a little too much of their own time working on stuff to have people come and play who's-line at the table.

Im not a fucking baby, I know that podcasts arnt the end of the world, but they do make things harder than they need to be fairly often. Its gotten to the point that I actively court normal people rather than meme-nerds because there's less to un-teach.

But it's not.

At least when Tumblr gets triggered, it's over things that actually happened

I'd you don't want something judged than don't make it public. I don't agree with people saying MCU is the pinnacle of film making but they have the right to say it.

kotnpodcast.blogspot.com/?m=1

Taking note of th previous post, I just like to let you know that rewriting preconceptions is a huge pain in the ass. And as a teacher it's one of the most frustrating things you'll have to deal with. Because you're always in to get but my dad said this. And this case will be but Matt Mercer did it this way! And then you have to sit there and exexplain why the tone of your game is different and derail the session.

Who's closed minded now?

It's so much worse when all the other players are good players and DMs, I was watching a ASOIAFRPG campaign and all the characters were good then this bitch comes through with a "hermaphrodite assassin from Braavos"

Women in ttrpgs were a mistake

hey thanks man i will check it out

>8 minutes in tiefling and dragonborn hate
This podcast is gonna be amazing thankyou user

It makes it easier if people aren't expecting to come to the table to play le wacky reddit adventures xD after listening to these things.

I've had to kick a few people out because they'll interrupt other players doing important things (like trying get a king's aid) to do whatever wacky shit just popped into their head, usually that would get the party killed (like throwing acid-filled water balloons at the king, water balloons that didn't exist until he brought them up just now).

This is typically followed up by absolutely hysterical laughter from them, and only them, and wriggling their eyebrows like they're hamming up for a fucking blooper reel or something. This guy in particular lasted 2 sessions before he got the boot, the breaking point being him holding the game up for 2 hours so he could try to sell us on making a podcast when we're just trying to fucking play.

I do, but I grab a couple of them, and I also have audiobooks and music on my phone, so if something is a dud I just move on to the next thing in the list. The real question is why he had no backup plan for entertainment of unknown quality.

Mostly just tumblr women. The one I had in my old group was fine, despite being the DM's girlfriend. She didn't roleplay much, but that was mostly due to being new and not knowing much what to do. She got better once their old DM came back and took back over and basically browbeat the boyfriend into not playing her character for her.

Heroes and Halfwits is shit because achievement Hunter fans will watch anything. I know because I'm one of them. One of their most watched videos of all time is a fucking three hour game of Uno.

You low-effort plebs are all are only after "fun". Playing cards or dice is fun. Shitting your pants is fun. There is more to making an experience good than just "fun" because fun is a yes or no statement that has basically no meaning anymore.

That's not even the cringiest episode. there's one where they invite a creepy Pakistani comic, and he immediately makes the whole game about the rest of the cast giving him money and handjobs.

>I could care less about your character's sexual orientation, but don't try shoving it down my throat or you're fucking gone
Pretty much this. When you grow up and get married, 'fantasy relationships' never really happen in games. We never role play picking up chicks or getting laid, it just seems childish to us.
>inb4 playing pretend
I know, but when you get older you'll find yourself caring about shit like that less and less

>a bunch of chucklefucks making a podcast = everybody
>my personal experience = all reality
KYS.

Fun story, in the SR podcast I was listening to it was the guys with a wife and kids who had their characters do all the womanizing.

But then I'm sure that's a freak one-off and that you yourself are representative of 99.99999999% of all humans.

I don't hate that shit because I've already learned that Podcasts are the lowest form of human communication other than smearing swastikas on the bathroom wall with your own shit and I don't listen to them.

Sounds like you've done a shit job of choosing and players and getting on the same page.

You should give this a try, these guys are so underated, short episodes, great production quality, great group synergy, granted they start as beginers but it only gets better with time.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fgh8nDK69JU

hi virt

>Want to play a TTRPG
>Want to play a serious character/campaign
>Everyone I know either literally can't RP (every character he ever does no matter what is a self-insert plus magic powers), plays only quirky lolrandumb characters, or literally just copies someone from an anime

Uno the Movie is the perfect cautionary tale about the dangers of "exciting game changing" house rules. What sounded like a fun experience evolved into the greatest example of a game designed to not end.

What I don't get are the people that laud H&H as being good in any capacity. It's some of the most mind-numbing, railroady content that is surpassed by noob streamers on Twitch with only 5 followers. Frank is an absolutely terrible GM (looking at you, ever-increasing GMPCs) and every player except Ryan is basically That Guy.

>fun is just a buzzword

cute

Why aren't you discussing your players' characters in advance of the first session? You gotta vet them, review their abilities, and then work with the player to incorporate backstory and get them up to the point right before the start of session one. Optionally, depending on the player's experience and the complexity of the game system in question, you might also suggest changes to the character sheet if there are better ways for them to build the concept that they want to play.

That can't be Virt. He didn't say anything about torturing Elves.

I really liked the start of the "one shot" podcast games. Like the first 'game' had me rolling. Then became really shit.

This sounds like the original season of RollPlay. If so, Tudagub was a cleric, not a barbarian. And the pink boots were something his father took from a wizard he'd killed. They were boots of levitation. (which he never got to use)

Na bro. You be getting mad at people not wanting to listen to stuff they dont want to listen too.
Man I would LOVE a good none silly podcast.
Well.. shoving it down the throat is now it works. From a mechanical stand point
"The Channels" podcast?
They have little to do with your games bro. If you can really say this then ttrpgs are doing better then ever.
Whats killing ttrpgs is that open d6 isnt seen as the best game of all time.
Cool bros thanks
Maybe what I said to was wrong then... But like green text this boss. I wanna know what you said to him when he tried to do this.
True bro. I got two girls and a very femme boy (Hes not gay or trans. Just acts like a girl.) and they are good roleplayers
Girl 2 is fine as hell but really into Darksouls and can get a bit too meme if I dont slap her down.
she praises then sun at the table guys... with the arms and everyting.
Took me a while to find my groups. Now I have just joined a new club and have played with 20 or so new people. (We are doing month long games while everyone is still new) and they are all fantastic. The new players are good too and are taking cues from the others of how to be good. Helps we are all in our mid 20 to 40's

>My characters a fox!
>My character is a tiefling
>My character is a human, but has a special bloodline power
Yikes, dropped before I even had to hear the 4th guy

I can't listen to D&D podcasts, despite loving many others.
Something about the constant need to be wacky bugs me. It's like they don't think people will wanna listen if something zany isn't happening every second sentence. I understand that the game gets ridiculous, and that's fun, it happens to me too and I love it, but it doesn't have to be all the time.

I'm pretty into The Adventure Zone, but it might not be what you are looking for if you are really obsessive about sticking to fantasy and such.

D&D podcasts are nine times out of ten boring as fuck, but more importantly, that's your fault for immediately shutting down because you found the characters too absurd.

This hobby just doesn't make for a good podcast; it's not fun enough to listen to the mechanics of the game, and most groups aren't good enough writers and performers to do drama well. The Adventure Zone, Critical Roll, and Friends at the Table make it work, but if you judged them based on how wacky their characters are, or how many bad jokes they make, you'd never get far enough to appreciate the good bits.

inb4 SJW Podcasts

Yeah TAZ might not be for you if you want something that sticks close to the rules and gives like a real D&D feel, or if you're some kind of anti-feminist type, but it's got a good backlog, it can be funny and endearing, and some of the payoff is good enough for me to say it's my fav D&D podcast.

Yeah rollplay right? The pink boots were actually relevant to his backstory and for a lot of them it was their first time playing DND

>The pink boots were actually relevant to his backstory
I am sure that it was epic. Praise kek.

Video's down, what was it?

Many options of radio station.

First EP of Harmon Quest (Which was upload for free som

Try not playing D&D if you want a serious game. D&D was never serious and the settings are too dumb for that.

>I could care less
I couldn't, I don't care at all.

I directly copied that post from Virt's post though with only minor changes.

You can play serious D&D if you want, the only edition of D&D that totally rejects seriousness on a mechanical level is 3.5 due to the sheer quantity of bullshit you can pull

Impressive.