How do you handle when someones tg is fucking with your life?

How do you handle when someones tg is fucking with your life?

I live in a two bedroom apartment with my brother. At 9PM every friday, he'll do online role play until 1-3 with a mic. I work every other weekend at 6AM on saturdays. At 11AM I have a 3 hour lecture every saturday.

I tell him it's keeping me up, he stops playing in the living room and goes in his room. I mention that he yells, he buys a better mic but still yells because his headphones of deafness are what cause the yelling. But then he still yells loud enough for me to hear everything that's going on. Right now, one of the zombies in the encounter he's running missed a player. They entered the dungeon 30 minutes ago so who knows how long it'll go for tonight. At least he's not hammered tonight. He refuses to move the game to saturday because he "wants to have his weekend"

What do you do when someones Veeky Forums is seriously hampering your life? I feel like I need to just demand that he moves the game to saturday, "compromises" aren't working so far.

It sounds like your brother understands that there's a problem and wants to make things work for you, so you should be able to solve this one by talking about it. I think you're right about asking him to move the game day (or time, if he's able to start and finish his game earlier on a Friday night). What's happened so far isn't working for you and it's a reasonable request. Maybe talk to him about it on a Monday or something when you're feeling relatively calm about the situation? It's probably a good idea to start the conversation by thanking your brother for the steps he's taken to try fixing the problem, but let him know that he's still keeping you awake.

Also, try to be understanding if he asks to put off the rescheduling discussion until that Friday's session. Gamers can be lousy about replying to mid-week e-mails.

Buy earplugs and a sleep mask.

help him fix his audio so he sees how loud he is. Tell him he needs to game only in his room and needs to outfit his room with sound-dampening panels.

Games are really hard to change the day and time with.

Soundproofing your room.
Playing sleep music. Check out youtube for this stuff. 8hour videos.
Bang on the wall when he get too noisey

>Buy earplugs and a sleep mask.
For me, earplugs help for a limited period of time... maybe. But all the different kinds of tried are at least a bit uncomfortable and that either interferes with my sleep directly, or causes me to pull them out (sometimes without realizing it), meaning they no longer do their job.

So I find that a fan is a better solution. I'm a bit bothered by air blowing around though, so I put a sheet over a box fan (anchoring it at each of the bottom corners and to the handle via a wadded up sock) so that it blows into the sheet like a windsock or something (you might want to weigh down the thing with shoes or something, so it doesn't flap around and thus not prevent a breeze). Alternately, there are white noise machines, but they tend to lack the bass they need to be truly effective (they're better than nothing, but less than awesome). Another thing I've done is put a white noise mp3 on a loop on my mp3 player and play it through my stereo. That gives it the bass it needs, and it at least comes close to a good box fan.

It may take a little getting used to, but you'd be surprised how quickly you can adapt to loud white noise. You might also get your brother some alternate headphones--maybe a one-ear bluetooth gig or something else that isn't noise-cancelling. Plus: melatonin. Melatonin is what your body naturally produces to knock you out. But unlike most sleeping pills, it doesn't feel like blunt force trauma. It's comparatively mild and doesn't fuck with you like they do. For me, it makes me only a bit less likely to wake up, but I stay drowsy when I do, and am content to lie there for as long as it takes to get back to sleep (where normally, I would start getting bored and fidgety). You can find the shit in the vitamin aisle of most supermarkets. I recommend the 3 mg size. Try one 3 mg pill, and if that doesn't do enough, move up to two pills, or even three...

> Tell him to stop
> Move out
> Deal with it
Those are youre options.

Tell him to use little ear plugs. He'll hear his own voice better and be quieter, but still hear everyone else no problem.

>ear plugs
I mean earbuds. The sort that come with a phone or whatever.

>Try one 3 mg pill, and if that doesn't do enough, move up to two pills, or even three.
Your body does acclimate to it though, so if you end up taking it regularly, you should take periodic breaks to get your tolerance back down. I find that 3 or 4 days off every couple of weeks is usually sufficient to bring me back down pretty close to base-level, unless I've been hitting the shit hard and non-stop for a good while (in which case, a week might be more in order). Regardless, it's not addictive, and I don't have a harder time sleeping when I'm taking a break (after I've just been using it) than when I haven't used it in a long time. In other words, I don't become dependent on it.

But if you're just using it once or twice a week, none of that should be a concern anyway.

>I mean earbuds.
Just not the noise-cancelling ones. I've got earbuds that do a pretty good job of muffling outside noises.

>Soundproofing your room.

>outfit his room with sound-dampening panels.

Is there a way to soundproof your room that isn't ridiculously expensive? Don't sound-dampening panels cost a small fortune?

>the reddit answer
>actually right this time

Egg cartons.

The 24 or 36 egg cartons are cheap and get thrown away by most grocery stores, and they make incredibly effective soundproofing. Combined with a flap at the bottom of your door it will dampen 905 of the sound from outside your room.

Yeah the cheaper the better to be honest.

That's not a Veeky Forums specific gripe man. Roommates making noise while you try to sleep is just a people issue. Make rules. Be adults.

>Roommates making noise while you try to sleep is just a people issue. Make rules. Be adults.
In my experience, 100% of people are selfish assholes when it comes right down to it, so "just talk about it like adults" isn't some panacea.

Contrary to , it sounds like he gives few shits about what you think of it and only complies with things like moving to his bedroom just to be rid of your nagging. Keep in mind that I honestly can't properly judge the situation, but that's what I'm getting from your post.

If I'm right, you're being way to easy on you. The guy "wants to have his weekend" despite weekends being the fucking time for your leisure activities, and doesn't even care about your night's rest, job and lectures. It sounds like you're letting him walk all over you.
Properly confront him when he pulls this shit again. Storm into his room at like 1AM and tell him off, bonus points if his mic is on and his group can enjoy it. People like this don't learn until you slap their shit (figuratively, I wouldn't recommend literally although it would work too). If he keeps that shit up, shut off your router in the middle of the night.

Yeah, it's nasty. You might seem like a cunt. However, you've got to draw a fucking line dude.
Don't let toxic people like him drag you down, it is obviously affecting your life.

Again, I stress that I might be wrong about the situation you're in, but this is what I'm gathering from your post.

>You know what the best way to deal with your problems is?
>Being a passive-aggressive cunt who fucks with and escalates the entire situation.
OP, if you're reading this, don't listen to this faggot. It will end horribly for everyone involved and you'll either lose a roommate or what little peace and quiet you have left.

Listen to and talk things out.

>100%
The common factor there is probably you sucking.

It is mathematically improbable that every person that you've met is a selfish asshole. The more likely scenario is that you're either suffering from a persecution complex or are drawing terrible people into your life through your actions or inaction.