Im looking to get into modern but don't want to pay for expensive dual lands. army good monocolor modern decks?

Im looking to get into modern but don't want to pay for expensive dual lands. army good monocolor modern decks?

Merfolk.

Affinity kind of, but then you're paying for Moths.

Merfolk, Mono G Stompy, 8 Rack

C H I N A M A N
H
I
N
K

P R O X I E S
R
O
X
I
E
S

Shock lands arent even that expensive

It's the fetches and older good nonbasics that hurt the most, not the shocklands.

I feel the same so I finally jumped in a couple weeks ago. Built monoU Merfolk and it cost me about $550. And even then, I could've saved $50 if I went without the legendary blue lands and the wanderwine hubs.

$500 is still a shit ton of money though but lordy is she fun to pilot.

Merfolk and Burn will give you the most bang for your buck. Burn is cheaper, but Merfolk is much more enjoyable to play imo.

Also, Merfolk will probably drop in price when the Merfolk vs Goblins duel deck releases, and Merfolk will likely get better when Ixalan and the second set on that plane get released.

Pft yea okay.
We'll get a reprint of cursecatcher if we're lucky at best for the duel decks.
And the best we will probably get is the legendary 3 drop fish that taxes for two

Mono White Death and Taxes is fairly good, and Eldrazi Tron is tier 1.
What you will be saving on lands you will spend on aether vials / chalices of the void, but hey, magic is an expensive hobby.

>People suggesting Merfolk

A budget-conscious player is not wanting to pay $180 for a set of Aether Vial

>tfw bought a set for $40 on a whim a week before they doubled
>now a set is $180

I play a decently successful monowhite devotion deck where I literally just try to vomit big angels onto the board around turn 4 using Nykthos and Thalia's Lancers to search for the perfect silver bullet(guest starring Elesh Norn because fuck elves).

Pretty budget if you don't want to use Leylines, which I do because I sold my standard Gideons a few months back to pay for them. Other than that you can even use Knight of the White Orchid to ramp if Nykthos isn't working by using Borderposts(as they also have devotion).

Decent match ups vs some of the meta decks, I like leyline because it can sometimes just hand you a win game one which you is helpful for a jankier deck and allows you to board in extra hate if you know their plan. With Ixalan coming up you can even upgrade it with Elspeth and friends as lancers will be able to search them.

I managed to do similar with Chalice of the void I bought about 15 when they first released despite everyone crying about the $10 price tag. Sold off 9 to buy jank decks since then (probably a tremendous wate), still expecting it to get banned sometime

Im annoyed devotion isnt more of a thing as it's terrifically janky but Wizards still seem scared to print more.

I know white devotion has infinitely more tools, faster clocks, better removal and better creatures but I cant stop trying to make monoB devotion work.

Initially I just wanted to get a bunch of BB and BBB cards out like Geralf's Messenger, Bloodghast and Aetherborn, slam Phyrexian Obliterator early and then look at dropping a Consuming Spirit or Gray Merchant as a win con, with some of my own removal and discard to support. The deck sucks dick though, with all the removal meta I frequently just have to scoop to a board wipe.

tl;dr I need some spicy tricks to make mono B Devotion better, something like a way to lock my opponent (and me if thats what it takes) out of lands after I get a bit of devotion going. Any ideas

Were to ?

I play a monoblack deck involving Arena and Phyrexian Obliterator. Not the best deck but it sure is fun.

ebay

i wish infect was playable again

SLIVER MANA RAMP

WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE USE THIS

(Gemhide+Manaweft+Brood+Hivestone)

Literally any colour you want pham.

cause creature ramp sucks

I don't know which slivers those are user nor do I know what they cost to play. But that's a 4 card combo and you still need a 5th card to play with what I assume is infinite man. That's not efficient at all.

First two are 2-drops that turn all slivers into dorks, third isn't modern legal, fourth is a 2-drop that turns all of your creatures into slivers.

Slivers are hard to use and require a 5C manabase as well as sets of aethervials and cavern of souls.

Enjoy getting ghost quartered and smallpoxed.

OP here. this user's chart has given me the idea to try out mono-U spellweaver helix. It might not be top tier but it's a start.

Mono white hatebears. GW is the standard hatebear but BW and mono W also works.

Mana base for 5 color creature tribal is going to get easier. New set has a bad cavern.