Previously on /edh/:>>55185338

Previously on /edh/:RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's your favorite commander that just isn't quite good enough, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/greatest-hits-remixed/?cat=color&sort=
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unlimited-equip-works/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whups-big-creatures/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text= [coin] ![{B}] ![{W}] ![{G}]&color= @(|[R]|[U]|[C])
mtggoldfish.com/price/Sealed Product/Commander 2014 Guided by Nature#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-09-17-tokens-tokens-tokens/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Teysa Orzhov Scion

Yay or nay

>What's your favorite commander that just isn't quite good enough, and why?

Intet the Dreamer. It's Dragon Tribal, and she's a 6/6 flyer which is big enough that I've won with Commander Damage on Numerous occasions, but she doesn't really do anything for Dragon Tribal besides occasionally casting a big beasty for free.

Still my favorite deck though!

Yay.

Marrow Gnawer is great, tho. The only weakness he has is lack of good rats.

Teysa is amazing.

>What's your favorite commander that just isn't quite good enough, and why?
>mono white
>8cmc
That should answer why. But fuck me do I love angels and mono white.

Nay, use fuccboi & meme-weaver

>tfw only Angel commanders covering the whole spectrum are Kaalia and Tariel
>Kaalia isn't even an angel

So I was thinking of doing a kess spell slinging deck, but I realized I don't really have a lot of good cards for it, nor do I really wanna sink a lot into it. But I did already order a bunch of the mana for a Grixis mana base. Is there a way to do Kess without the normal storm or whatever bullshit, or would it be better to just stick with Inalla for right now?

Oh, I love Marrow-Gnawer. He was one of my first decks and was one of the first rares I ever pulled, but there are only a handful of rats that are any good. To go off with any consistency you have to pack your deck with shitty cards or play a meme relentless rats deck.

I have a Reaper King deck, and while scarecrow are also shitty, out can at least hold it's own.

Jenara?

Is a tribal deck with this guy viable or even competitive?
Should I get the Guided by nature precon to get elf stuff?

There's even fewer Angels in Bant than in Mardu and Jenara is arguably even worse of a tribal commander.

He's the best elf commander, user. Also the most popular one.

Mairsil + mycosynth lattice for even more jank?

Alright, is the Guided by nature precon worth getting to build him or should i just look around for builds and stuff i may like

>>tfw only Angel commanders covering the whole spectrum are Kaalia and Tariel
>>Kaalia isn't even an angel
Oh, user. You don't know how badly I was hoping angels were gonna be one of the tribes in C17...

Reaper King was the first deck I built back when I started in New Phyrexia. Entirely constructed out of my friends bulk and nonsense, it was a beautiful menagerie of terrible commons and uncommons with an artifact theme (thanks Mirrodin), but every time I got to slam down that King and boldly shout "ITS HARVEST TIME", I was as proud of that deck as I have ever been of any deck since. Over the years of playing with this group that got me into Magic (I didn't realize there were even other ways to play besides with 100 cards and a general) the deck slowly gained more rares, scarecrows, and artifact nonsense until it formed into the scariest deck in our playgroup, and the mere whisper of Harvest Time would send shudders down my friends' spine.

Flash forward 6 years, 1500 miles, and at least 50 decks built and retired. I no longer play with those long gone friends, and honestly I don't even have a group to play with that I even like. Still, Reaper King resides in a hallowed space in my deck case, foiled out, with only the most beautiful un-lands, triple sleeved with Perfect Fit Dragon Shields, Yuru Yuri custom art sleeves, and oversized art covers. It's final form a deck so bewildering to behold, so beautiful and terrible at the same time, an amalgamation of artifact and five color combo, that any who face its glory soon learn the terror of the words of the King.

To play Reaper King is to play the King of Magic. To utter his holy mantra is to evoke an emotion previously unbeknownst to those who hear it. To King is to Harvest. To Harvest is to King.

Remember this next time you play Magic, you're only playing a cheap imitation of what it actually is. Until you experience the Harvest, you have not truly experienced anything.

Hear his words and tremble, learn his words and rule. Play the King and only the King, and remember:
"It's Harvest Time."

So if Mairsil cages an artifact planeswalker, can he use loyalty abilities?

Demon Lands when?

An enchantment that "possesses" all of your permanents to be Demons would be pretty funky.

Sedris deck, you say? But yeah, just tinker with Inalla and Kess, see what works.

I can really only think of one black angel I care about, but yeah there's a couple decent red angels.

Hmm.

only ones that do not require you to add/remove loyality counters I think

Fucking Christ we are at like 50% of these generals having no subject line at this point, get your fuckig shit together

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

I had a sedris reanimator deck I recently transformed into kess reanimator, the deck instantly became way better and won 2 of its first 3 games

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/greatest-hits-remixed/?cat=color&sort=

Mycosynth Lattice + March of the Machines + some anthem effect to pump everything's toughness + Conspiracy naming demons should do the trick, but at that point you don't really need Rakdos.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unlimited-equip-works/

Nazahn is probably one of my favorite newer commanders to come out lately. He does what a white equip commander wants with the added benefit of mana ramp from green.

Not sure what I could add or remove to make it better, though.

Oh, I didn't mean turning stuff into creatures.

Just adding the "Demon" type to every permanent. So basically "Basic Land - Mountain Demon" or "Artifact - Demon".

>IS EVERYONE READY FOR NOTHING?!

I'd rather play this one.

This isn't that bad, the 0 is quite good and enables the mediocre +2 well

If you don't turn stuff into creatures you can't give things the creature type Demon unless you give the card a Tribal supertype too.

I wouldn't, five mana one looks better. However they work okay together.

Really the problem with the five mana one is having so little starting loyalty.

Post commanders that instantly let you know your opponent is a pleb

The cards in your hand are colorless, but they aren't permanents yet, so they're not artifacts.
You can't cage anything special.

Aw. Correct user is correct.

ah damn, that sucks. for some reason I thought it turns everything into artifacts, back to the drawing board I guess.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whups-big-creatures/

I like how all it took to change my Mayael deck from 100% Casual to 100% Competitive was to change the description from "Low Powered Mayael deck" to "Mayael the Anima! Crush your enemies under the hooves, paws, and claws of your army of deadly creatures!"

I really want to make an Edh deck with the thematic of a hug deck. But instead of being useful and sitting there being nice. I want to just make the deck pure chaos. Possibility Storm levels of chaos. For thematic reasons I Wana run Arjun as the commander so even I don't know what I might have in hand. Any ideas of sure shot includes? Propaganda seems obvious as I don't want everyone to juke me before I've at least given some one an anueryism. I do t want to to win. I just want to have fun watching people have no clue what's happening

Bleh. Fine. The wall seems better for this effect and the dinosaurs are tiny.

They could've pushed it more like they did Gideon.

It will take you 20 minutes to finish this effect, but it's worth it.

I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say i enjoyed your wall of text.

First, let me tell you a wholehearted fuck you for building a Chaos deck.

That said:
Starke of Rath
Bitter Feud
Rite of the Raging Storm
Wild Evocation
Illicit Auction
Twist Allegiance
Warp World
Whims of Fates
Omen Machine
Possessed Portal
Soul Conduit
Teferi's Puzzle Box
Smockestacks
Uba Mask
Crown of Doom
Bazaar Trader
Humble Defector
Mana-Charged Dragon
Bludgeon Brawl
Lightning Storm
Rainbow Vale
Contested War Zone
Goblin Cadets
Diaochan, Artful Beauty

Those are pretty much all taken from my Diaochan Group Fug deck built around letting people draw a ton of shit and switching control of stuff around.

You're right, that's my bad. I apologize.

Sall good baby boo

Change Encounter & Coin Flip Tribal might be something to consider

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text= [coin] ![{B}] ![{W}] ![{G}]&color= @(|[R]|[U]|[C])

How do I build her grace? Faerie Tribal? Mill? Both?

Faerie Tribal with Oona as a way to just get more tokens.

Paying mana to mill in EDH, especially in Dimir, is not going to work.

Well this is a start

Oh God it's everything I wanted
I play with jackasses. I assure you they deserve every second of it
Oooo perfect

guess the commander

>Playing my new Karametra animate lands jank
>All of my lands are animated by Liege of the Tangle with a Sacred Ground on the field
>Opponent gets cheeky and uses Nevinyrral's Disk
>I cast Natural Affinity in response

Why is it I'm the bad guy?

Don't forget all your copy target spell / redirect target spell cards

And especially not the king of them all

perhaps with more wine?

Ragnar.

no, but it is 3 colors and 3 cmc

Noyan Dar

Portal Mage and Disrupt Decorum are also very cheeky.

chaos is very not fun (for everybody) but i'm not going to tell you to stop

>5 mana for 3 loyalty counters
lmao this card is a joke

Good shout.

ye?

>Until your next turn, those creatures attack each combat if able and attack a player other than you if able.
Keep skipping your next turn with Chronatog. If it ends up that one player's left or if things look otherwise bad, stop skipping turns.

The group I play with are generally easy going and up for a laugh. Except for the one guy who insists his paper commander is good then complains we're tryhardong

Needing a creature for fuel's pretty crappy unless you really want to build around it.

>"FIGHT FOR MY AMUSEMENT, PLEBS!"

But it's in black so zombie and vamp tokens are everywhere and you're almost certainly going to gain life as it dies cause half your opponents to lose life and have to sacrifice another creature. So I'd say it's a null point

Alright, what can I do with these tokens? Just swing?

Tribal decks tend to win by swinging. That's why they run lords.

Pretty much. There's a few decent cards with less boring effects that work with creatures of the same type as well as a few decent Faerie specific support cards and a bunch of blue/black flying support.

You know when you are taking a shit a d it snells really bad, but its your shit so its ok but you cant stop shitting because you already have shit on your ass si you might as well finish shitting

This is what its like playing mtg now, its shit but you already have so much shit on you you might as well keep going

You could always get all your friends together and play Cockatrice and every few days challenge people with unique restrictions on deck building.

Faerie Rogue Tribal is also cute.

Play the djinn that let's you exchange control of two permanents

Id rather not let my friends watch me shit, college was really weird that one time

Maybe something like this with cards to change creature types?

I met Mark Rosewater at a local game store in Renton last week. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him to sign cards or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?”, jumping up and down, closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued looking through trade binders, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my cards up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Thragtusks in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the cards and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “Just in case one of them was an Interfetterence” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s the name of a magic card. After she scanned each card and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Standardize is the classic janky combo with that.

Is rubric thar the best way to give the middle finger to those types of players that are always playing grixis or sultai with lots of control, sweepers and combo?

definitely buy it if you can find it around msrp. it has tons of value

damn I havent been on /mu/ in a long time

Your pasta is stale. And yet I replies anyway, so 6/10.

Guess the Commander

i was asking because i can get it below msrp from a friend who bought a ton and wants to get rid of a few

Whatever it is, the blue elements are a giant middle finger pointed at you.

Most of Kamigawa's legendary Spirits. Special mentions go to the Kirins and Oyobi, Who Split the Heavens - all of the cards that support the Spirit/Arcane playstyle are monocolor.

Yeah, I have an Oyobi deck and it's... okay.

Anointed Procession was the biggest boon.

Thasa or Thromokratis or Volthos sea food tribal, hence the high number of 2 mana ramp artifacts and influx in 6 mana cards as well as a gigantic blue mana card, probably Inkwell Leviathan.

Actually, never mind, there is no Ula's Temple, no sane person would skip that one.

mtggoldfish.com/price/Sealed Product/Commander 2014 Guided by Nature#paper

It's more than worth it. Not sure why your friend geared up to scalp it and just isn't though, they easily could.

Well thought-out, but as you note, no Quest for Ula's Temple means that's not it.

I have an Abundance and Traverse the outlands. What should come out for these two?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-09-17-tokens-tokens-tokens/

Holy shit, he's such a faggot.

I've been thinking about running Cloudhoof or Celestial Kirin.

Mark Toiletwater or the guy who spent the time typing this pasta?

Final guess would be Unesh, because big-fat sphinx need a ton of mana and there's a lot of 4 mana sphinx IIRC, too.

Celestial will probably get you more unwanted attention than Oyobi however Celestial is admittedly better.

A shame that Evermind is blue.

Hm... another decent guess, but no... it's a bit jankier than that.

Also I loved how fickle tappedout is. It flipped to 100% Competitive a few minutes later when I reloaded the page.

Celestial wouldn't work well against the people I play against, now that I think about it. One likes to go wide with tokens, and the other likes to drop huge creatures (his main decks are Ur-Dragon and Horde of Notions).

It's a pasta, user